* Recent Posts

Incoming freshmen by seakm4
[Today at 12:30:17 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 03, 2024, 11:32:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[June 03, 2024, 11:42:11 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Travis playing time affected?  (Read 5520 times)

romey

• All American
Travis playing time affected?
« on: June 26, 2008, 07:23:03 AM »
I know this may end up in the Super Bar, but it's offseason and I thought I'd throw this out there to change up the discussion topics.  It looks like the Pacers have tradedf Jermaine O'Neill for TJ Ford.  Travis will certainly lose minutes this year.

nyg

• All American
Re: Travis playing time affected?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 07:25:59 AM »
Travis will probably revert to being the backup to Ford.  Look for the Pacers to release Tinsley. 

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 07:29:35 AM »
don't forget though, thay tj ford is always hurt.  he's pretty much a lock to miss at least 20 games a season.  still a pretty good situation for travis.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 08:18:12 AM »
well time for a reality check.  Travis was a fine college player, and he won't be anything more than a career back up in the NBA... not that there is anything wrong with that.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 09:33:56 AM »
well time for a reality check.  Travis was a fine college player, and he won't be anything more than a career back up in the NBA... not that there is anything wrong with that.

True, there is nothing wrong with being a career back up in the NBA, but Travis really shined when he had the chance to start. Travis finished 4th in the league in assists to turnover ratio ahead of guys like Chauncey Billups, Deron Williams, Tony Parker, Steve Nash, and Jason Kidd. Now I'm not saying that he is better than these previously mentioned point guards, but one thing is clear, all of these guys are past and upcoming Olympians and the best of the best (CP3 not included because he finished 3rd).

There is something to be said about finishing 4th in what I feel is the most important statistical category for a point guard. Take it for what it's worth, but given the playing time he can be good if not great.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:49:45 AM »
He will never be great in the NBA because he can't defend and cannot get in the lane.  He's really good at what he does - push the ball up court and get it to teammates, and hit open threes.  But the reason his A/T ratio is so low is because he doesn't often drive the lane, or try to create his own shots, which is where a lot of turnovers take place.  I can't imagine him ever being more than a great back-up and spot starter.  Which, as has been said, is an awesome job to have.

romey

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »
He will never be great in the NBA because he can't defend and cannot get in the lane.  He's really good at what he does - push the ball up court and get it to teammates, and hit open threes.  But the reason his A/T ratio is so low is because he doesn't often drive the lane, or try to create his own shots, which is where a lot of turnovers take place.  I can't imagine him ever being more than a great back-up and spot starter.  Which, as has been said, is an awesome job to have.

no kidding - where do i sign up?

I'll watch the draft tonight and see if they call my name  ;)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 07:36:43 PM »
Well Indiana just selected Jarred Bayless... now his time is going to be really reduced.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »
Well Indiana just selected Jarred Bayless... now his time is going to be really reduced.

Yup.

Trade bait, too.
SS Marquette

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 07:41:25 PM »
The Bucks could use a point guard....

Hammond- get Larry on the phone. Bring TD home.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 07:45:15 PM »
ESPN is reporting a possible trade:

Why would the Pacers draft another point guard after trading for T.J. Ford? We're hearing Bayless is going to Portland for No. 13 and Jarrett Jack.
SS Marquette