[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I Find Him 100 Times More Believable Already Than...  (Read 11575 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
I Find Him 100 Times More Believable Already Than...
« on: June 08, 2008, 09:32:45 PM »
the departed. WITI-TV6 just ran about a 3 minute segment on Buzz and his family. No stuff, there is a sincerity and believability in both what he says and the manner in which he says it. If student athletes give him a chance and listen, Williams will be very successful as a recruiter. This guy is no used car salesman and I find that refreshing.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUBasketball

• All American
Re: I Find Him 100 Times More Believable Already Than...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 09:35:33 PM »
Right on 4ever. Nice little segment on the news tonight. As Pipines said, the players call him "brutally honest". I'd take that any day over coaches who sugar coat.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 10:50:56 PM »
Very nice piece on team Buzz. The more I see and hear of him, the more I like him. I really hope he does well.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 11:18:35 PM »
I ran into a couple of students and after the standard 'warriors/eagles' conversation asked their opinion of Buzz Williams.  Shocked to hear that he is considered a "much stricter disciplinarian" than Crean.  I was told that the players "now attend classes".  I commented that Crean's record was exemplary in this regard, and was snickered at... told that "they never came to class".  The tutors apparently did work wonders.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 11:29:37 PM »
.  I was told that the players "now attend classes".  I commented that Crean's record was exemplary in this regard, and was snickered at... told that "they never came to class".  The tutors apparently did work wonders.

They are attending what?  Summer classes?  Or the week before finals after buzz got hired?

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 11:30:50 PM »
Players didn't really miss classes when Crean was here, apart from when they were on the road and possibly on home game days.  Hell, James Matthews made it to more of the Intro to Comm lectures than I did freshman year.  Whether or not they always stay awake in class may be another issue, but I can't fault them for that...something about glass houses and stones.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 01:26:32 AM »
Players didn't really miss classes when Crean was here, apart from when they were on the road and possibly on home game days.  Hell, James Matthews made it to more of the Intro to Comm lectures than I did freshman year.  Whether or not they always stay awake in class may be another issue, but I can't fault them for that...something about glass houses and stones.

I took History of Jazz my senior year. Wesley, Dwight and DJ were in my class. I can guarantee they attended more often than I did. If there was ever a class to skip, that was it.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 05:51:14 AM »
Very nice piece on team Buzz. The more I see and hear of him, the more I like him. I really hope he does well.
+1

ondo10

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 06:11:01 AM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »

I took History of Jazz my senior year. Wesley, Dwight and DJ were in my class. I can guarantee they attended more often than I did. If there was ever a class to skip, that was it.

back in the day, ODB, Merrit, and Wade went to every class I had with them.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 09:07:16 AM »

+100!

Awesome class!
SS Marquette

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 09:09:34 AM »
I loved the history of Jazz class. I had Aaron Hutchins in mine and he was there quite a bit...but then again that was the Deane era.

I also watched that piece on Buzz and so far I like what I hear. I really think he can get the job done. I've officially made my leap onto the The Buzz Bandwagon.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 09:17:48 AM »
I ran into a couple of students and after the standard 'warriors/eagles' conversation asked their opinion of Buzz Williams.  Shocked to hear that he is considered a "much stricter disciplinarian" than Crean.  I was told that the players "now attend classes".  I commented that Crean's record was exemplary in this regard, and was snickered at... told that "they never came to class".  The tutors apparently did work wonders.

those students are misinformed.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 09:37:42 AM »

Unlikely

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 09:42:41 AM »
those students are misinformed.

Yep.  From players I had in classes or friends had in classes, the thing that was always noted is that they never missed class unless the team was on the road.  This isn't something new because they've always been going to class, even more than most students.

warthogdriver

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 09:46:01 AM »

What was the name of the monk who taught a class on classical music - it was in a large lecture hall early in the am? The monk drove down from Green Bay just to teach this class. It was a guaranteed A but there was zero learning. His teaching method was to play scratchy old LPs, all the while closing his eyes and "leading" an imaginary orchestra. Bizarre.

nola03

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 09:48:42 AM »
Yep.  From players I had in classes or friends had in classes, the thing that was always noted is that they never missed class unless the team was on the road.  This isn't something new because they've always been going to class, even more than most students.

Another co-sign with everyone about MU players and class attendance. Crean did very well in this part of the job considering his tenure. If you look to criticize him on this front then it's more a matter of being a hurt little kid at his leaving then the reality of the situation.

As for Buzz, no one has denied his likable personality. Just remember that every coach gets a honeymoon period. Call me when people have stopped swooning.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 10:11:32 AM »
As for Buzz, no one has denied his likable personality. Just remember that every coach gets a honeymoon period. Call me when people have stopped swooning.
What's the number I can reach you at?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 10:17:22 AM »
back in the 70's there was a teacher named Horton Rowe (sp) who taught music appreciation that was commonly known  as clap for an A.  I believe there were no tests but a couple of 5 page papers your grae was determined on, if you truned in both papers you got an A.  The unban legend has it someone thought Horton never read the papers so he wrote a bunch of negative remarks about the class and Horton only to discover he did read all the papers and the student got an F.

warthogdriver

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 10:29:38 AM »
That's it - Brother Horton Roe. He was at St Norberts College but drove down twice a week for a 0700 class at Marquette Hall. It was always packed, despite the start time, as it was a guaranteed A. The only requirements were that you showed up (he took attendance, actually calling out names), you stayed awake, and you wrote one 5-page paper that was essentially copied from an encyclopedia. Like everyone back then, I have heard the stories about the guy who slammed the course and Br Roe in his paper but like most legends nobody actually knew the guy who supposedly wrote it.

That was a surreal class...it was 0700 and more than 150 kids sat there watching an old monk lead an imaginary orchestra... 

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 10:36:40 AM »
Can any of you guys ever just watch a positive piece of Buzz without taking a dump all over the previous coach like he was satan or anything? Give it a f-ing rest o.k. We know a lot of you hated Tom C. He's gone. Stop looking back and look forward with what we have now. Crean's record (wins/losses, graduating players) speaks for itself.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 11:41:19 AM »
yeah and recruiting players like you!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 12:07:32 PM »
Can any of you guys ever just watch a positive piece of Buzz without taking a dump all over the previous coach like he was satan or anything? Give it a f-ing rest o.k. We know a lot of you hated Tom C. He's gone. Stop looking back and look forward with what we have now. Crean's record (wins/losses, graduating players) speaks for itself.

It's become a conditioned response after 9 years of being told he walked on water.  As usual, the truth is some where in the middle.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 12:30:31 PM »
As bad as Crean obviously was/is and as tremendous Buzz already is/will be, I find it hard to beleive that you find Buzz only 100 Times More Believable!  (this is sarcasm)

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 12:45:14 PM »
As bad as Crean obviously was/is and as tremendous Buzz already is/will be, I find it hard to beleive that you find Buzz only 100 Times More Believable!  (this is sarcasm)

This is starting to sound like a political debate where everything one candidate does is the best thing ever according to their supporters, and whatever the opponent does is the worst thing ever. Crean did some thing well and some things poorly. Buzz will do some things well and some things poorly. It's called being human.

I'm already tired of the canonization of Buzz Williams and the demonization of Tom Crean.
We Are Marquette