collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Euro 2008  (Read 14932 times)

muwarrior87

• All American
Euro 2008
« on: June 07, 2008, 12:37:53 PM »
Anyone on here besides me, maxpower, and mufan12 actually going to watch this great display of the real football??  It should be one of the most entertaining tournaments in a while. I'm looking forward to it!

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
Re: Euro 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 01:20:41 PM »
Me too.  "Gooooooooooole!"

“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 01:55:44 PM »
I, too, will be watching.

Anybody had a chance to catch the US Men's team last 2 friendlies? Underwhelming to say the least...

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 02:32:46 PM »
for those in the MKE area, a great little niche I've found for footie viewing is the Highbury Pub in Bayview.  I will hopefully be down there as often as I can be the next couple weeks. It's got an absolute fantastic atmosphere.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 04:10:20 PM »
I'm tuning in.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 04:48:08 PM »
Just a few random thoughts...

-Kind of a slow start to the tournament today.  The Czechs, although they won, were particularly disappointing.  Four years ago they were one of the most entertaining teams in the world.  Now, not so much.

-The only thing that keeps Portugal from being the run-away favorite is their lack of a dominant striker, or at least two decent strikers to pair together.  Nuno Gomes was way too isolated up front today...the wings could do a better job of pushing up alongside of him.

-I'm thrilled that ESPN brought in Andy Gray as a commentator.  Those of you who are familiar with the FIFA video game series know what I'm talking about.

-Co-sign on the Highbury.  Nomad on Brady St. is also a good bet.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 08:24:48 PM »
for those in the MKE area, a great little niche I've found for footie viewing is the Highbury Pub in Bayview.  I will hopefully be down there as often as I can be the next couple weeks. It's got an absolute fantastic atmosphere.

+1

Caught the 2006 England-Portugal World Cup match there. Great place.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 10:42:19 PM »
Muwarrior, nomad is a much much better place to watch... ive been to both and Nomad is by far the better bar for football watching. Nomad is on Brady so its closer too

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 01:40:57 AM »
gimme me a call muwarrior when u go watch these games

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 11:07:21 AM »
austria v. croatia   4 minute    shoud the referee hvae given a PK?

I say no!

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 11:20:43 AM »
austria v. croatia   4 minute    shoud the referee hvae given a PK?

I say no!
That was complet shiiite!  I hate calls like that!  Let em play!
"We have the blues on the run!"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 11:59:32 AM »
I have to say it was a penalty, it was a clumsy tackle. But play should have been brought back on the throw-in.

I'll second the Andy Gray comment. Even though he played for Everton, I find him entertaining.

Poland/Germany in a couple of hours... GO POLSKA!

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 01:46:34 PM »
You're probably right, but I still hate the game being decided on a penalty kick. :(
Deutschland! Wuenderbar!
"We have the blues on the run!"

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 03:22:47 PM »
was the tackle anything like this?

Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 04:13:09 PM »
Caught the second half of Switzerland - Czech Republic at a bar in Rome last night.

I'm sure I'll be watching plenty of the tournament.  I hear Europeans kind of like soccer.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 02:19:18 PM »
Those of you not able to watch right now...Italy just got screwed by the refs in a non-offside call that my blind grandma could have made.  It sits at 2-0 right now which would be trouble for Italy in the Pool of Death

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 04:51:45 PM »
Those of you not able to watch right now...Italy just got screwed by the refs in a non-offside call that my blind grandma could have made.  It sits at 2-0 right now which would be trouble for Italy in the Pool of Death

van Nistelrooy was CLEARLY offside, and that goal did give the Dutch the lead, but if you're the Italians, the way you can overcome that is by NOT giving up 2 more. The Dutch were impressive. Italy could be in trouble on goal differential.

Anybody catch the US-Argentina friendly last night? Tim Howard was unbelievable. Gutsy performance by the US men against the best team in the world.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 05:16:11 PM »
The offside clarification was that the Italian player that was off the field due to injury was still in play, therefore Ruud not offsides.  Definitely crap, even though Ruud is a former Manc!

How about the 5'6" vanBronkhorst?

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 07:09:54 PM »
The offside clarification was that the Italian player that was off the field due to injury was still in play, therefore Ruud not offsides.  Definitely crap, even though Ruud is a former Manc!

How about the 5'6" vanBronkhorst?

The commentators discussed that (whoever mentioned Andy Gray earlier in the thread, you were right. He's fantastic). I guess I was under the impression (as was Gray) that the injured player should not have been considered, and therefore the goal should not have counted.

And how does a 33-year-old (with all due respect  ;D), 5' 6" defender/midfielder get that kind of scoring opportunity? Embarrassing defense by the Azzurri.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 07:26:33 PM »
spartan...I'll never leave the highbury. Know the owner and many others too well. Like a family.

Gwaki...heading down tomorrow for the action. I'll give ya a call around 10:40 or so to see if you'd like to join.

Definitely a penalty in the Croatia game. Clumsy challenge and just took him out. Croatia player could have gotten a decent feed across the goal mouth off had he not been taken down.

As for the first goal by Ruud...I agree w/ Tommy Smyth. The Italian defender was taken out of the play by Buffon and he could have made an effort to get back on the pitch...though I'm a bit bias against those floppers...which would have made it deliberate that he stayed off thus making Ruud onside.  That ruling is a judgement call though seeing how it must be 'deliberate' that the player is off the field.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 08:36:38 AM »
I was getting all set to sit here at work and watch the games on ESPN360, but last wednesday, the day of USA vs. Spain, the IT department blocked ESPN360's website. In one simple click of a button they dashed my hopes of unproductive days watching the best of Europe play.   I need a new job!
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 02:54:48 PM »
half time score  Poland 1,  Austria 0

Go Polska!

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 07:28:07 AM »
What r the thoughts on the penalty for Austria in stoppage time? I was trying to stream the game at work and it crapped out on me right at the end. Haven't had a chance to see the replay.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 08:12:37 AM »
Pulling for Les Bleus all the way, Benzema needs a breakout game on Saturday

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 09:07:53 AM »
the Dutch will dominate just as they did against Italia! well, maybe not quite that much dominating but I'll say 2-0 w/ Henry aggravating the injury that had him sidelined for the first match, if France's Tarot reading, astrologer of a coach even decides to play their most creative and dangerous striker. If Henry is on the pitch, the game will be a little closer as the Netherlands are solid up top but have a very leaky defense minus VanDerSar.