'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Donald Williams - Aki's first recruit?  (Read 10355 times)

dwaderoy2004

• All American
Donald Williams - Aki's first recruit?
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:10:03 AM »

lurch91

• All American
Re: Donald Williams - Aki's first recruit?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 10:26:56 AM »
Holy frequent flier miles!!!  Seems that Buzz and Co. are everywhere at once!!!!

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 10:33:31 AM »
We were also mentioned with a teamate of his at Progressive Christian.  Don't know whatever happened with that one.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=9236.0

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 10:35:57 AM »
Might want to update the Recruiting WIki... ;D

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 10:42:13 AM »
So does this mean were not gonna bank that extra scholie? 

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 10:49:19 AM »
Might want to update the Recruiting WIki... ;D

I was going to add a section in addition to the current sections called Rumored to put names from credible posts like this one.  I have been too busy to do it.  I thought it could contain the link to the thread that identified the recruit as well as all other info people could find.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 11:01:32 AM »
My interest in recruiting has been sparked since the coaching change.  I was wondering if Marquette was mentioned with so many highly touted recruits when Crean was here? 

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 11:08:32 AM »
I don't know that you would consider this a highly touted recruit.  It is really hard to find information on this guy.  Rivals has him as a 3 star and scout has him as a 2 star.  Although, it seems that he would have to be pretty good to be named the most oustanding player in the select division of the Bob Gibbons tourney.

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 11:11:45 AM »
"New Orleans Jazz wing Donald Williams was named Most Outstanding Player of the Select Division of the 17 and under division. The 6-foot-5 prep school guard averaged a hair under 23 points a game.

“He was the best player we played against all weekend,” said one AAU coach that tried to slow down Williams in North Carolina. “He’s really good. People need to know about him.”

Consider it done. Williams technically is part of the class of 2008, too. Let the phone calls begin to Progressive Christian in Maryland."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=rivals-220093&prov=rivals&type=lgns
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 11:14:57 AM by Eford4President2012 »

nola03

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 11:14:41 AM »
I was wondering if Marquette was mentioned with so many highly touted recruits when Crean was here? 

Wonder no more: yes, Marquette was mentioned with highly touted recruits.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 11:17:50 AM »
My interest in recruiting has been sparked since the coaching change.  I was wondering if Marquette was mentioned with so many highly touted recruits when Crean was here? 

The answer to that question probably depends on who you ask.

I'd say Crean definitely got MU among the finalists of many highly touted/top 100 recruits, including at least four McDonald's AAs I can think of off the top of my head (Brian Butch, Shannon Brown, Luke Zeller, Iman Shumpert).
But I'd say he didn't land nearly as many of those players as we all would have liked.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 11:21:46 AM by Pakuni »

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 11:21:34 AM »
Williams spoke further about why these two schools are at the top of his list which also includes UAB (offer), East Carolina and New Orleans (offer).

“They are in a good conference. The Big East is strong. I like the way the coaches communicate, and they sound like they would be good coaches to play for.

“With St. John’s I like the atmosphere of New York City, and it would be cool to play in Madison Square Garden.

“And Marquette has a great winning tradition and has produced some great players like Dwayne Wade and Steve Novak.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=rivals-220634&prov=rivals&type=lgns

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 11:22:41 AM »

Consider it done. Williams technically is part of the class of 2008, too. Let the phone calls begin to Progressive Christian in Maryland."

I'm a little curious as to what that's supposed to mean.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 11:25:22 AM »
Crean excelled at the all or nothing recruiting approach...that is too invest everything on a highly touted recruit and not land him, only to fill the scholarship with an unheard of lowly recruited 1 star type player in the spring.  

I will give Crean credit for 2 good recruiting classes in 9 years his first and the one with the 3 amigos...the other 7 were well below average.  

Kevin Oneil in the MCC and the Old Gym recruited Creans socks off.  Buzz will too.  

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 11:28:30 AM »
Brian Butch, Shannon Brown, Luke Zeller, Iman Shumpert...

Sorry pakuni but while Mu may have been 'in'n those guys to beleive that Mu had a chance with anyone of them besides Shumpert is to buy into what Crean was selling.  Sure Butch visited and considered Mu but to think Mu had a chance over UW is not realistic, Zeller and Brown were never coming.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 11:32:59 AM »

Yes

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 11:35:04 AM »
Crean excelled at the all or nothing recruiting approach...that is too invest everything on a highly touted recruit and not land him, only to fill the scholarship with an unheard of lowly recruited 1 star type player in the spring.  

I will give Crean credit for 2 good recruiting classes in 9 years his first and the one with the 3 amigos...the other 7 were well below average.  

Kevin Oneil in the MCC and the Old Gym recruited Creans socks off.  Buzz will too.  

Well below average....well then I guess he took well below average players and won a ton of games, ton of Big East games and got them into the tournament.  It's amazing how often I've read what a lousy coach and recruiter he was and yet all the success we had.  It must have been a miracle each year.   ;D

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 11:42:26 AM »
Of course, Chicos, there are only 1st place and a tie for last place in recruiting.  8-)

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 11:47:34 AM »
DJ
Jerel
Wes
Novak
Travis
ODB
Wade
Merritt
Dameon Mason
Lazar

All of the above plus others were highly touted.  TC did have his share of 2am booty calls (horrible spring signees) but he definitely brought in some players.  He seemed to excel when he had PT to sell.  I think Crean was over-rated as a recruiter b/c he never got that Top 10 class that guys like Quinn Snyder got but he was so much better of a administrator than Quinn.  To me he was a decent recruiter, an unbelievable prep and plan guy and a woefully over-matched bench coach.  But bench coach can be overrated in college.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 11:48:49 AM »
Of course, Chicos, there are only 1st place and a tie for last place in recruiting.  8-)

On that, I agree.  I just find it funny how many bad (below average classes) we had, how poor of a coach he was and yet we ended up with the 2nd best run in MU history.  Miracles I tell ya....miracles.   ;D   Or an awful lot of CDS (Crean Derangement Syndrome).

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 11:52:30 AM »
Are you seriously suggesting MU didn't have a chance with Shumpert....wow, all I can say is wow.  Speaks volumes.  You have no clue what you are talking about on Shumpert.

Please re-read what Mr. Hayward said.  You may find yourself surprised.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 12:00:36 PM »
Please re-read what Mr. Hayward said.  You may find yourself surprised.

yup...my bad...I'll do what Hayward is incapable of...admit to being wrong.  That being said, all four of those guys had MU as a finalist.  Why?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:03:03 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 12:02:08 PM »
Brian Butch, Shannon Brown, Luke Zeller, Iman Shumpert...

Sorry pakuni but while Mu may have been 'in'n those guys to beleive that Mu had a chance with anyone of them besides Shumpert is to buy into what Crean was selling.  Sure Butch visited and considered Mu but to think Mu had a chance over UW is not realistic, Zeller and Brown were never coming.

Every single one of those guys publicly named Marquette as a finalist.
Perhaps they were in on the ruse with Crean.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 12:02:51 PM »

mis-posted 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 12:14:04 PM »

Is that so?

Crean landed three NBA players in his first three recruiting classes and probably has at least two more on the current roster.
O'Neill landed two NBA players.

O'Neill's top recruit, Jimmy Mac, was a second-round NBA pick with a middling NBA career.
Crean's top recruit was a lottery pick, perennial all-star and one of the best players in the world.

Of MU's top 25 all-time scorers, four were O'Neill recruits.  Five were Crean recruits and Lazar Hayward will make it six before he's done.

Shall I continue?
CDS is sweeping the (Warrior) nation.