[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What about McNeal leaving early?  (Read 6186 times)

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
What about McNeal leaving early?
« on: December 22, 2006, 10:34:46 AM »
Everyone talks about the chances of James leaving after this year.  Regardless of if he does or doesn't, what do you guys think of the chances of Jerel leaving after his Junior year.  This is giving him another year and a half to work on his control and shot on the offensive end.  He is up there for steals this season and everyone is taking notice of his defense.  I would say it wouldn't be a stretch to see him go after next year depending on the individual progression and the strength of that draft class. 
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: What about McNeal leaving early?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 10:38:35 AM »
Are you serious?

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 10:52:25 AM »
very insightful post Nightmare...

yes, i am serious.  I'm not claiming he would be a lotto pick, but who knows if he would like to try and leave early.  Who knows how much he is going to improve in a year and a half, but if he continues the way he has been then anything is possible. 

this was meant as a topic for discussion, not for 3 word posts.  i guess i should have included something about depauls OOC schedule to get people talking.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 10:52:47 AM »
I think Jerel could go after his junior year, but only if DJ leaves after this season and McNeal emerges as the team leader.  Without DJ, Jerel is an 18-20 ppg scorer.  Couple that with 6-7 boards, 3-4 assists, and 3-4 steals, and he'll get some serious interest.

Obviously want him to stay 4, but I don't see early entrance out of the question.

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 10:56:58 AM »
PRN, once again adding such value to the discussion here. 

Frankly, two things need to happen for McNeal to have a shot at leaving early.  He needs to develop his ball handling/control on the offensive end and needs to improve his shot.  He is the single best defender at the college level that I've ever seen.  While he's a bit undersized for the league, he's got great length that should help minimize the disadvantages of this height. 

I think he would be best served by staying 4 years.  Much of it will depend on his ability to improve upon the things I've listed above.  Those are not small obstacles to overcome.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 11:04:31 AM »
I think he would need to either turn into a consistent outside threat or substantially cut his turnovers rates while running the point more if he wants to be considered a first round pick and a late one at that.

He is a very good collegiate player who probably doesn't cut it to be a first round pick due to numerous obstacles(turnover prone, average at best outside shot, not a pure PG, too short for the 2, etc.).  Now I say probably because he sure does have the heart compete and get better and maybe he overcomes some of those obstacles but I really believe he is here for all four years and than maybe he catches on.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 11:33:44 AM »
Because he plays next to DJ, Jerel is probably a little bit underrated, even by his own fanbase. He is by far my favorite player on the team, primarily because he has the heart of Diener and flashes of Wade's freakish athleticism. (Please do not start a discussion about comparing Jerel and DWade - I would not dare).

Also, Jerel is hitting that mid-range jumper with more and more consistency. It's just a dagger, because the guy is so quick to the hole but can stop on a dime and pull-up. He is developing at a very, very quick pace. In fact, he's much better now than he was two weeks ago.

IMO, DJ, Jerel and Wes are going to play in the league at some point. I was more confident about Wes' chances last year, but I think he's going to be very, very good as a four-year player. And you know, Crean will pull out all his NBA connections for these guys. I mean, say what you want, but he's helped get Scott Merritt into NBA camps and not alot of people thought Scott would have a chance at the league after his senior year.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 11:35:28 AM »
If Jerel does make it to the Association, he will do it as a 4 year player. I mean we talk about DJ being too short, Jerel is a 6' 1" 2G. That is small.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 11:37:24 AM »
If Jerel does make it to the Association, he will do it as a 4 year player. I mean we talk about DJ being too short, Jerel is a 6' 1" 2G. That is small.

True, but he can block shots on 7-footers.

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 11:41:39 AM »
Jerel is a 6' 1" 2G

I think people need to stop getting caught up in a player's height.  Who cares if you're a 7' but have alligator arms?  McNeal may only be 6'1" or 6'2", but if his wingspan equates to 6'4" or so, then he'll be fine.  You don't play the game with your head.  Some NBA gm's will undoubtedly have a problem with it, but I don't see it as an issue. Wade was also undersized, obviously to a lesser degree.  Once again, not comparing the two, but it would not be surprising to see him in the league eventually.  The only way he leaves after his junior year is if he becomes deadly with the pull up, improves his 3 point % and cuts waaaaay back on his turnovers.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 11:41:54 AM »
He's listed at 6'3".

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 12:27:22 PM »
people get caught up in height because while it is not everything it does matter.  Should DJ quit the game because a weakness is his height no, he obvious has other strengths.  same for jerel at 6'1 or so he is not 6'3".  That is more of a PG size most 2's in the league are in the 6'4" to 6'7" range.  Could Jerel make the league sure he could.  But right now like has been mentioned there probably is not much of a demand for 2 guards in the NBA that shoot 19% from  19'9".   Very very nice player when he cuts down on his turnovers for a spohomore in college.  But no way is he ready for the leugue after his junior year unless he improves at a rate even greater than that of Wade beteween his soph and Junior years.   Withall that said I think in 2.5 years if he continues to improve on his range, his handle, and his decision making there is a place for him in the NBA...player that he reminds me of would be a Chris Duhon.  Also, a 4 year player that would not be in the league if not for his defense, his athleticism, his ability to sub the point and a three point stroke that he honed over 4 years. 

augoman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 12:38:38 PM »
wisdom would dictate at least one more for dj (he was shooting soooo much better last year) to improve  his prospects, and 2 for jerel.  Now, that doesn't mean it'll happen, but, IMHO, it will.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 02:50:49 PM »
First, I think McNeal may be emerging as the true leader among the sophs.  But, I don't think he will go pro early for the following reasons.
1. Acker.   His best buddy is coming
2. 6'1, 6'3", who cares?  Other than Iverson, can someone please make a list of shooting guards 6'3" or less in the NBA?
3.  3 pt shooting %
4. Turnovers
5. Underdeveloped point guard skills
Jerel is a true Warrior, in every sense of the word, and I am thrilled he plays for Marquette.   His defense, intensity, and all around game continue to improve.   He isn't ready to leave. 
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 03:07:54 PM »
First, I think McNeal may be emerging as the true leader among the sophs.  But, I don't think he will go pro early for the following reasons.
1. Acker.   His best buddy is coming
2. 6'1, 6'3", who cares?  Other than Iverson, can someone please make a list of shooting guards 6'3" or less in the NBA?
3.  3 pt shooting %
4. Turnovers
Jerel is a true Warrior, in every sense of the word, and I am thrilled he plays for Marquette.   His defense, intensity, and all around game continue to improve.   He isn't ready to leave. 
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

For the most part I agree with all your reasons except number 1.  You have to do what is best for you individually.  If it is for McNeal to leave early, he will regardless of friends.  I was surprised a few years back when Blankson transfered out because him and Wade were the best of friends but he did.  It really does boil down to what is perceived to be the best thing for each individual.

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 01:52:00 AM »
1. Acker.   His best buddy is coming
3.  3 pt shooting %
4. Turnovers
Jerel is a true Warrior, in every sense of the word, and I am thrilled he plays for Marquette.   His defense, intensity, and all around game continue to improve.   He isn't ready to leave. 
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

I agree. As much as Jerel is an essential player on this team and playing well, he has a lot to work on before we talk NBA. As much as you hate to talk about size for players, unless Jerel is at point guard position with an NBA club he is very undersized. He is proving himself as a collegiate player and I think he will be a four year player at Marquette. As for DJ..if he does go I do not think he is necessarily ready. I think he also has a lot to work on, but he will have to weigh the benefits/disadvantages of going pro or staying another year. It will be interesting to see how he plays the rest of the season and his decision/option to consider entering the draft. I think he could use some more experience and play on the college level, but he will probably go if he feels he can make the first round of the draft..we will see.
Tradition Never Graduates..

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 11:20:41 AM »
I think McNeal is staying and it is ridiculous that you even brought it up GIMPY what a waste of time.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 01:03:25 PM »
I think McNeal is staying and it is ridiculous that you even brought it up GIMPY what a waste of time.
And your post wasn't?

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 02:08:38 PM »
i know it was a stretch to think of him leaving early, however i wanted everyone's opinion.  i was interested in finding out if people saw his development as much as i did.

thanks for the imput Stroke 3

State

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 02:14:40 PM »

Insightful!!!  Can't wait for post #3!!

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 02:43:55 PM »
Post 3 for all of you waiting includes words such as input rather than imput??  Sorry just find the thought of McNeal leaving absurd, so sorry for having my opinion.

MU Slabbey

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2006, 02:52:19 PM »
It could happen.  Well Strokin, if you don't think McNeal will leave early do you think anyone buy James will?

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2006, 03:02:26 PM »
Not with the inconsistency that each player has shown on this team throughout this year and previous ones.

MU Slabbey

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2006, 03:04:56 PM »
Point taken. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2006, 05:55:41 PM »
I am still a fan but after today's game I think we can safely put this idea to rest.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.