[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU mentions on chicagohoops.com  (Read 10680 times)

Pakuni

• All American
MU mentions on chicagohoops.com
« on: May 30, 2008, 03:35:44 PM »
From 5/29:

David Brown (Rockton Hononegah) of the Illinois Warriors may well be the hottest prospect in the Illinois Class of 2009. Depaul, Oklahoma State, Northwestern and Marquette are all among his high-major admirers. On any given day, Brown is as good as any player in the Illinois Class of 2010, and can be expected to become a Top 75 prospect nationally in very short order.

Tony Benford of Marquette University is top notch. Look for Benford, new head coach Buzz Williams, and Marquette University to continue to have the Golden Eagles strongly in the hunt for prospects throughout the state of Illinois.

http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles1/brianstinnette163.html

Daniel

• All American
Re: MU mentions on chicagohoops.com
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 09:56:10 PM »
I like that we are getting some attention now - very nice to see - great for Marquette :)

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 10:01:31 PM »
Its really starting to look like the Benford hire was a great hire.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 10:05:33 PM »
Buzz and company cannot see the ceiling. Crean and Company had bumps on their heads.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 01:38:34 PM »
TC on the way out to Buzz: "Watch your head on the ceiling."
Buzz to TC: "What ceiling?"

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 03:49:15 PM »
TC on the way out to Buzz: "Watch your head on the ceiling."
Buzz to TC: "What ceiling?"

+1.  I couldn't agree more!  MU has a lot to offer.  1) so  an upper tier BE team with a lot of national exposure.  2) Buzz (or TC for that matter while he was here) has nothing to lose.  For example, why is MU any better or worse than Memphis?  It all comes down to the coach.  TC was MU's ceiling.  Buzz may or may not be.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 08:30:20 PM »
Buzz and company cannot see the ceiling. Crean and Company had bumps on their heads.

Yep, the first Final Four appearance since Al MaGuire was quite a ceiling.  You  sound like a bunch of guys dumped by their girlfriend. Move the F on.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 09:49:38 PM »
we have moved on and Buzz is moving at lightening speed to put us back on track with 2003

jce

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 09:36:25 AM »
we have moved on and Buzz is moving at lightening speed to put us back on track with 2003

This is just too much.  Since being named head coach, Buzz has gotten one good player and now he's the best coach around?  C'mon...perspective guys.  He has yet to coach a game.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 09:44:53 AM »
He has yet to coach a game.

Exactly, which is why I don't understand how everyone immediately thinks he's a bad hire or a good hire when we haven't even seen him on the MU sidelines in an actual game...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 10:03:48 AM »
This is just too much.  Since being named head coach, Buzz has gotten one good player and now he's the best coach around?  C'mon...perspective guys.  He has yet to coach a game.

I'd say two, maybe three, good players (keeping E. Williams, signing Jimmy Butler) but otherwise, you're point is dead on. Despite many rushes to judgment, we won't know any sooner than next March if this is a bad hire, and won't know whether it's a good hire until at least 2010.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 10:25:13 AM »
we won't know any sooner than next March if this is a bad hire, and won't know whether it's a good hire until at least 2010.

Agree 100%.

I've been very pro-Buzz in other threads, but I have to be fair that one good recruit doesn't make him great... just like one bad interview (or whatever) doesn't make him terrible.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 06:56:34 PM »
+1. Seriously. Crean, more than anyone else, always talked about Marquette being a destination and a place where a top-notch program could be built. See: Al McGuire Center, Al McGuire Court at the Bradley Center, etc.
We Are Marquette

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 07:11:42 PM »
+1. Seriously. Crean, more than anyone else, always talked about Marquette being a destination and a place where a top-notch program could be built. See: Al McGuire Center, Al McGuire Court at the Bradley Center, etc.

Completely agree.Crean did his job at MU. The fact that the topic won't die reveals quite a bit. Crean was a tireless worker on behalf of MU. bummer he left. The morons who keep ripping him and his family demean MU. The guy left, so what. Lets hope Buzz can get it done. If not, we will be looking again in 3 or 4 years.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 08:52:29 PM »
Exactly, which is why I don't understand how everyone immediately thinks he's a bad hire or a good hire when we haven't even seen him on the MU sidelines in an actual game...

I totally discount coach crean's impact on coaching games, so getting players is enough for me now.

nola03

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 09:29:08 AM »
I totally discount coach crean's impact on coaching games, so getting players is enough for me now.

Wow.

So the fact that he averaged 23 wins the last three years with no discernible offensive presence at the 5 had nothing to do with coaching.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 08:55:21 PM »
On the contrary - the 1 post-season victory over the last 5 years, makes me think Crean was lacking in coaching.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 09:02:45 PM »
On the contrary - the 1 post-season victory over the last 5 years, makes me think Crean was lacking in coaching.

At least be accurate...MU had three post season victories in the last five years, not one.

I'm sure the losses had nothing to do with his two best players out for two of those other years (Diener and McNeal). 

Some of you guys are really setting up Buzz for some interesting benchmarks.  As I asked before and no one answered, if Crean was such a lousy coach and recruiter, then really Buzz has to do better then him to be a success in your eyes...right?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 09:32:14 PM »
At least be accurate...MU had three post season victories in the last five years, not one.

I'm sure the losses had nothing to do with his two best players out for two of those other years (Diener and McNeal). 

Some of you guys are really setting up Buzz for some interesting benchmarks.  As I asked before and no one answered, if Crean was such a lousy coach and recruiter, then really Buzz has to do better then him to be a success in your eyes...right?

let me clarify - 1 ncaa win over the last 5 years.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 10:58:07 PM »

His game-time coaching was decent...but he just didn't recruit the talent to put everything together in the postseason (READ: lack of quality big men).

Robert Jackson was a GIFT to Crean that year. RJax was really needed to pound the ball hard to the hole and offset Merritt's seemingly exclusive outside game.
SS Marquette

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 08:40:55 AM »
His game-time coaching was decent...but he just didn't recruit the talent to put everything together in the postseason (READ: lack of quality big men).

Robert Jackson was a GIFT to Crean that year. RJax was really needed to pound the ball hard to the hole and offset Merritt's seemingly exclusive outside game.

Not to get into a robert jackson debate... but had Wade come back the following year... MU would have had the best back court in the country (diener and Wade), plus Novak, Merrit, Chapman, Townsend, D. Mas, etc.

Not a lot of power players in that bunch... but certainly a formidable team with Wade and Diener leading the charge.

I guess my point is, while big men are certainly valuable, special talent can overcome just about anything. Diener, Wade, Novak in 2003-2004 would have been pretty special.

4thAndState

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 09:11:20 AM »
Great point, 2002mualum. I believe you can do very well in power conferences and the tourney with great guards and decent/serviceable bigs. Don't think it works the other way. That's why I'm optimistic about 08-09.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 01:57:41 PM »
Great point, 2002mualum. I believe you can do very well in power conferences and the tourney with great guards and decent/serviceable bigs. Don't think it works the other way. That's why I'm optimistic about 08-09.
Hate to bring it up, but didn't Stanford vs. Marquette  in the 2nd round of this year's NCAA Tournament kind of prove that point to be wrong?  I'd like to think we had great guards and decent bigs, and Stanford had the opposite and came out on top.  Jackson was by far the 2nd most valuable player on the 2003 team.  You need balance to go deep into the tournament.  It may be more important to have great guards than it is to have great bigs, but you need good, not just decent, bigs.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 02:32:50 PM »
Hate to bring it up, but didn't Stanford vs. Marquette  in the 2nd round of this year's NCAA Tournament kind of prove that point to be wrong?  I'd like to think we had great guards and decent bigs, and Stanford had the opposite and came out on top.  Jackson was by far the 2nd most valuable player on the 2003 team.  You need balance to go deep into the tournament.  It may be more important to have great guards than it is to have great bigs, but you need good, not just decent, bigs.

Agreed... and I don't think I was being very clear in my previous post.

Some people claim that Jackson was a "gift" and that without him MU wouldn't have been nearly as successful. I agree with this statement.

However, let's temper the love for Jackson, because I'd argue that a 2003-2004 team with Wade (who had left early) might have been better than the final 4 team with Jackson. 

Now, I understand the "What-if" game is pointless, I'm just trying to illustrate that Crean did recruit a number of talented players, and had the most talented one stayed another year... then Jackson's impact might not look so huge because the team would have been VERY good in 2003-2004.

If Robert Jackson never stepped foot on campus, they still would have been good in 2003, and maybe even better in 2004 (if wade stayed).

I hope I'm making sense here.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 03:15:34 PM »

How much further did Stanford progress?  Not far...a 20 point drubbing by Texas which includes a pair of stellar guards in Augustine and AJ Abrahms.

While great post play helps you go further in the tournament I would argue that guard play is more important.  Sure a quality big man helps but if you only have a strong inside game you don't necessarily win in today's uptempo game.  Throw a zone against a big man or double down each time (which we failed to do against Stanford) and make shaky guards beat you from the perimeter.  Now if you only have quality guards you can double but they'll tend to set up their teammates for easier shots (ie dunks and layups) where a quality big man can only set up his guards with open perimeter shots.  Look at each of the final four teams:  Some of them had quality bigs (Hansborough, Love, maybe even include Dorsey) but in the end it was the guards who elevated their teams to the finals (Chalmers, Rose, Douglas-Roberts, Rush, etc)