[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Maymon to Mu  (Read 34062 times)

4thAndState

• Starter
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Madison Memorial's Maymon commits to MU
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 09:01:37 AM »
This is a huge get for Buzz and staff on many levels -- fills a need for true beast on the boards, gets the best '09 in-state player, affirms Buzz's rep as a recruiter, gets a verbal from a player with a chip on his shoulder for the reds to the west (and understands the rivary), and continues to build momentum for a great overall '09 class (which we need sorely need post-James, McNeal and Matthews).

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Madison Memorial's Maymon commits to MU
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 09:08:22 AM »
Officially.

Excited.

;D
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

esotericmindguy

• All American
Re: Maymon to Mu
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 09:13:18 AM »
If Wilson is not coming to MU becuase Maymon is going to share time with him, why is he considering MSU and Duke?  If he's afraid of Maymon, why does he think he can start on a team of former McDonald's AA at Duke/MSU?

Unless you tell me Wilson and Maymon don't get along, this is good news for getting Wilson (but doesn't mean he's coming).  It shows that good recruits are not afraid of Buzz/MU without Crean.  No longer can other schools say "with Crean gone MU will never get another decent recruit."  EW and Mymon put that to rest.

You're missing the point, all Maymon talked about was starting right away...though its possible, I don't think he would take the chance if Wilson and Williams were going to be on the squad.  Read between the lines.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 09:16:58 AM »
You're missing the point, all Maymon talked about was starting right away...though its possible, I don't think he would take the chance if Wilson and Williams were going to be on the squad.  Read between the lines.

Read between the lines?  You do know that Wilson isn't committing until next year...March 2009?  So does that mean he already committed and talked with maymon and said he isn't coming to MU?  Get over it Chicken Little, the sky isn't falling and we don't know where Wilson is or isn't landing...wait to see before we read between the lines of a March 2009 decision.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 09:19:28 AM »
right, because players NEVER change positions, and its much more important to have a 'position' guy out there than to have your best players.

right.

My esoteric mind tells me that you're being sarcastic, which is fine.  It also tells me MU has Williams, Fulce, Maymon, Wilson, and Lazar all playing the same two positions?  Based on what I've read Maymon said he wanted to start right away, importance of 10 on a 1-10 scale.  I'm sorry, but he wouldn't have come here had he been told MU had a shot at Wilson.

It doesn't take George W. to figure out that Wilson is likely out for MU.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 09:23:45 AM »
My esoteric mind tells me that you're being sarcastic, which is fine.  It also tells me MU has Williams, Fulce, Maymon, Wilson, and Lazar all playing the same two positions?  Based on what I've read Maymon said he wanted to start right away, importance of 10 on a 1-10 scale.  I'm sorry, but he wouldn't have come here had he been told MU had a shot at Wilson.

It doesn't take George W. to figure out that Wilson is likely out for MU.

Speculation is fine... but let's not treat your interpretation of Maymon's quotes as if they are factual.

You could be right about everything... but let's be honest, there is a lot of conjecture in your statement.

Unless you know either Maymon or Wilson personally, you have know way of knowing what is "important to them".

Again, your speculation about a log jam is valid, but I'm not sure I'm ready to jump off the bridge that Wilson isn't coming simply because Maymon is.

You can read between the lines all you want... but these are 17 year old kids... things can change quickly.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2008, 09:25:35 AM »
If Wilson wants to go to the NBA, which I strongly suspect, I would recommend playing the 2.  I think he can still come here and we would have starting lineup with incredible athleticism with him at the 2, Williams at 3 and Maymon at the 4.

Edit: Lazar will get plenty of minutes at 3/4 as well, probably starting at the 3.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 09:29:52 AM by 1990Warrior »

MarkMiller

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008, 09:26:38 AM »
Story on Maymon's commitment now up at ...

http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/article.asp?nid=14845

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2008, 09:27:44 AM »
It seems as though teams like Louisville and Memphis have been very successful [Each having been to a Final Four in the last two years] with multiple players that on paper would seem to play the same position.  

I'm just fine with a lineup that goes:

PG & then 4 athletic players between 6'5 & 6'10

jce

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008, 09:28:20 AM »

Why wouldn't Williams be on the squad?  Has he stated that he isn't going to honor his verbal?  Not that I am aware of.

As for Wilson, it is going to be difficult to land the guy, but that doesn't mean that Buzz should be on a Wilson-or-Bust type of mission.  This is a good get.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2008, 09:28:57 AM »
Is he SF or PF at MU?

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Jeronne Maymon to Marquette
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2008, 09:30:03 AM »
Jeronne Maymon to Marquette

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (Henry Sugar)

Jeronne Maymon, a highly ranked 6'6" 235 pound forward from Madison Memorial High School, committed to Marquette this morning per IWB from the Scout.com board.  Dave Telep also has the story up.

The Madison Capital Times has a story about the commitment.  Rosiak's blog is also on the case with an update as well.  Mark Miller has a great article at Wissports.net.

With Maymon (ranked #58 in the junior class by Scout.com) Buzz has now secured two top 100 commitments for his first two spots in the 2009 recruiting class.  Last year, 6'7" Erik Williams  from Cy Springs High School in suburban Houston committed to Marquette.

The combination of Maymon and Williams is intriguing and provides a glimpse into the roster re-build underway at MU.  For more than a decade, the Warriors have been vulnerable to opponents that were more athletic on the blocks and on the wings.  It seems that Buzz Williams had enough of those mismatches.   With Maymon, likely a 3/4 combo forward in college, and Erik Williams, more of a small forward/wing player, Buzz Williams is fast building a roster of versatile, athletic players at positions where MU failed to land high-ceiling talent in the past.

Nicely done, Buzz.  Stay tuned for more information and coverage regarding this highly talented player.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2008/05/jeronne-maymon-to-marquette.html

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2008, 09:31:25 AM »
Is he SF or PF at MU?

PF - he weighs almost 240 and has apparently grown an inch 6'7".

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2008, 09:35:44 AM »
Hey, I hope I'm wrong....it is pure speculation.  

mviale

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Jeronne Maymon to Marquette
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »
chicos - time to get on board

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2008, 09:39:28 AM »
I can see Maymon playing the 2,3 or 4 at MU.  We are supposedly running a 4 out 1 in motion offense so those positions are fairly interchangeable

mviale

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2008, 09:41:25 AM »
perfect - The young man sounds like he has grown  to 6'7"  239 lbs.  Must be that Wisconsin Milk.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2008, 09:42:50 AM »
It is funny that Crean couldn't bring in a highly ranked forward lately to save his life.  Now Buzz has 2 "top-100" forward commits for 2009.  Now is time to see Buzz's prowess at recruiting guards.  Lacy in '09 and Johnson in '10 would be pretty sweet!

Great get by Buzz.

As for your comment, didn't Erik Williams commit to MU while Tom Crean was the head coach?  Just asking
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 09:49:16 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2008, 09:56:37 AM »
Great get by Buzz.

As for your comment, didn't Erik Williams commit to MU while Tom Crean was the head coach?  Just asking

Chicos,
I understand your argument that most kids committ to coaches and I agree with that statement as evidence shows with NW, TT, and any other recruit we were after before Crean left that is now on "indiana's list".  however, EW remain committed to MU after Crean left, with Buzz as the head coach, as did Fulce and O'Tule which tells me they were more committed to either the program or Buzz, the guy who recruited them.
Of course EW committed when Crean was here but let's be honest...it wasn't until Buzz was there that we landed him and before that Crean hadn't even seen Texas on a map let alone recruited anyone out of that state.  I'm still including EW and JM as Buzz's recruits...

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2008, 10:04:01 AM »
I can see Maymon playing the 2,3 or 4 at MU.  We are supposedly running a 4 out 1 in motion offense so those positions are fairly interchangeable

Where did you hear this?  I haven't read anything about it.  Would love a link.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2008, 10:06:23 AM »
Here's the story from the Madison paper...

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports//288287

Those numbers in the state tournament are SICK!  Glad to have him!!

bma725

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2008, 10:18:31 AM »
Where did you hear this?  I haven't read anything about it.  Would love a link.

Jimmy Butler mentioned it either when he committed or right after he committed in one of the Tyler papers.  That's the only time anyone on the team has said it was going to happen, but given Buzz's background it wouldn't surprise me.

jce

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2008, 10:30:16 AM »
I just saw the picture of Maymon and his dad in the Wisconsin State Journal.  Without realizing it, I had a conversation with Tim Maymon about ten days ago in Madison at a low level AAU tournament.  My son's team played a team he coached, and my son played fairly well in a close loss.  He came up to me and talked for about five minutes on what a nice shot he has and some things he should work on to make him a better player.  Really nice guy.  Very funny on the sidelines too.  "What part of man-to-man defense don't you understand?" was a classic.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 03:21:07 PM by jce »

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2008, 10:31:50 AM »
Great get by Buzz.

Since Buzz has been getting bashed about the continuity of the team with Nick Williams and Ty Taylor leaving then Buzz and not TC deserves all the credit for  Eric Williams coming to MU.  Eric Williams came to MU mainly due to his relationship with Buzz and once Buzz received the job he had to re-recruit everyone.  Or so that is story being pushed around here by those that don't like the Buzz hire.  

Now is this a great get?  I don't know.  I guess it depends on if he qualifies.

nola03

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2008, 10:36:21 AM »
PF - he weighs almost 240 and has apparently grown an inch 6'7".

But if you read the articles, his father mentions he's been training Jeronne to be anything from a 1-4 and looking at our squad next season I don't see him starting at the 3 or 4 and he's been promised a starting spot so it's got to be the 2.

Great job by Buzz. He immediately made Maymon the #1 target of the 2009 class and landed him only three weeks later.

IMO, this means 3 things:

1) Between Erik Williams and Jeronne Maymon, the writing is on the wall re: Jamil Wilson. Yes, yes, MU will still pursue him but unless they land Johnnie Lacy (and pray on the books) and exploit that friendship to the brink I don't see Wilson at MU.

2) Perception means more then reality. Buzz landed a Wisconsin kid. Along with the news that he is pursuing Kyle Kelm, and we remain the team to beat for Lacy, this shows the state that the Texas cowboy won't ignore his homestead.

3) Along the lines of point #2, this should be big news on the recruiting circuit. Erik Williams is highly thought of and highly rated. The same with Maymon. When news spreads this week that MU has two outstanding forward prospects, you have to think highly rated point guards will give a closer look to MU.

I hope the early pledge allows Maymon the time and energy to hit the books and make sure he qualifies. You can't make Bucky regret their decision if you can't get into MU.

feedback