[Today at 08:35:27 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Maymon's father....great quote  (Read 6734 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Maymon's father....great quote
« on: May 22, 2008, 06:23:37 PM »
"He has been very interested in UW, but UW is not interested in him,'' Tim Maymon said. "If they ever have to face him, they'll see why the should have got him.''

Says his grades are a 2.2 right now but expects that by the time he graduates to be 2.8 to 3.0.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports//287761

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Maymon's father....great quote
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 08:08:01 PM »
Bucky will face him if Maymon commits to MU. Less likely that they will meet if he's going to Providence, Baylor, or ISU.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mviale

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 08:45:42 PM »
Maymon sounds like he has a great Dad - come on board!
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

MarkMiller

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 09:07:13 PM »
I'd be shocked if he selected Providence.

I've interviewed Tim Maymon a dozen times. He is a character, but his heart is definitely in the right place. A man who really loves his kids.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 09:09:37 PM »

Are you serious?  He sounds like your typical psycho dad carrying out his fantasies through his son.  

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 09:22:43 PM »
I'd be shocked if he selected Providence.

I've interviewed Tim Maymon a dozen times. He is a character, but his heart is definitely in the right place. A man who really loves his kids.

Mark, is this a potential package deal?   Jeronne and Devonte.....

MarkMiller

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 09:34:23 PM »
Davonte will attend prep school or junior college next season. I know Tony Benford had a prior relationship with Davonte, but I couldn't tell you if the MU staff thinks Davonte is good enough for MU. Davonte is more explosive than Jeronne, but his overall game needs work. He did improve quite dramatically over his final two years of high school, but he still needs to refine his skills.

Pardner

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 09:38:29 PM »
`What's left to answer is the school's total commitment to the kid -- not just (with) basketball, but academically and spiritually,'' said Tim Maymon

"Spiritually" has to narrow it to MU or Baylor.  Considering Buzz's other commits all mentioned "Jesuit education" as a deciding factor, add the Benford connection with the family, and I am guessing this is a good sign for MU.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 09:56:45 PM »
PC is also a catholic university

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 10:12:07 PM »
He's very comfortable. He was ready to make the decision last December (after his first offer from Baylor), but I kept telling him 'One school came after you; you're going to have others.' And he has. ... But I've told him; only consider the ones that made an offer

based on this quaote it looks like baylor to me...also his brother is going to attend school in Texas

mviale

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 10:59:19 PM »
Mr Hayward - very perceptive. We will find out Tuesday

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 03:46:52 AM »
Are you serious?  He sounds like your typical psycho dad carrying out his fantasies through his son. 

I wouldn't go that far.  I think any father who's son is good enough to compete in college basketball wants the best for his son, and most of all is proud that he is that talented.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 06:41:16 AM »

His Dad is the reason UW backed off!

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 07:51:30 AM »
Let's layoff the Dad. Sounds like the only one that knows the guy is Mark Miller. I respect his opinion after talking with the guy. I would take Maymon and his Dad anyday of the week. I am very glad to hear that his Dad is active in his life and loves the kid.

Again, welcome aboard Maymon's. You are going to love beating UW four years in a row.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 08:03:26 AM »
Hope I'm wrong, but I wonder.  From the quote, if it were MU, wouldn't his father have said, when UW faces him instead of if UW faces him?  Too much parsing?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 08:07:53 AM »
Again, welcome aboard Maymon's. You are going to love beating UW four years in a row.

I wouldn't go that far.  Remember, he was ready to commit to Baylor last year, but his dad made him wait.  If you take a look at the Baylor message boards, they seem to have information that he's going there.  His brother has changed the prep school he was planning on to a different one in Texas, and one of the other prep insiders in the state said that it is down to Baylor or Iowa State. 

In short, the signs point to him not coming to MU.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 08:08:48 AM »
I'm guessing he'll go to Baylor, where we will never hear his name again.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 08:18:49 AM »
Take it for what it's worth, but some guy on the Badger Board is saying he's spoken with the prep writer at the Wisconsin State Journal, and said prep writer told him it's Baylor or Iowa State.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 08:20:04 AM »
bma and eco---We hired a recruiter to change kids minds and come to MU. TC was able to convince kids that IU was the place because he was there. Isn't that was Buzz is supposed to do for MU?

In addition, Maymon's pops said that Buzz started recruiting the brother and has shown some interest. Maybe Buzz is steering him to TX for a year.

Buzz was hired to recruit and sign top players. Until proved otherwise I will support that belief. The kid visited on Tuesday and I believe Buzz delivered the goods. Everyone is bashing the Dad but it sounds like to me he wants to watch his kid play. Baylor is shown on replays on the Comedy Channel...MU plays sixty miles away and a lot of ESPN time.

Maymon to be followed by Wilson and Lacy. Similar to KO's first recruiting class, only better.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 08:22:48 AM »
I wouldn't go that far.  I think any father who's son is good enough to compete in college basketball wants the best for his son, and most of all is proud that he is that talented.

Maybe, but if I had a kid who was a good high school basketball player going through the recruiting situation, I wouldn't utter a peep to the media and I would instruct my kid to focus on family, school and basketball, preferably in that order. I'm suspicious of any parent who seeks media attention.
We Are Marquette

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 08:38:01 AM »
Guys---The recruiting world has changed and so has sports. Lets be positive on these boards when discussing kids or families. If you want to bash a high school kid or their family wait until he is lost.

Again, Maymon's if you are reading MUScoop, you are welcomed with open arms. I love a Dad that supports his son. Baylor or Iowa State is for lesser players. The BE is where the kid belongs. Being part of Buzz's first class will be something to remember.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 08:49:13 AM »
perhaps buzz didn't tell the maymons what they wanted to hear, wouldn't make their son the focal point of the offense, wanted to wait until next spring to see where his grades were, etc.  the maymons decided they didn't want to wait and will chose a school that would accept his committment now. 

who knows, we'll find out tuesday.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 08:52:19 AM »
Banana---Maybe Buzz told the Maymon's they are the foundation of a great recruiting class. That his signing along with the other kids we are trying for might be MU's best recruiting class in decades. Maybe Buzz told them that MU is a great school and a great basketball tradition.

I have a gut feeling that Buzz knows how to close a deal. If he got the job based on interview...the man can close deals.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 09:20:09 AM »
gym- completely agree.  i hope that is the pitch buzz used and will assume it was.  if JM wants to be part of that, i look forward to having him at MU.  if not, i wish him the best eslewhere.

nola03

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 09:24:30 AM »
Take it for what it's worth, but some guy on the Badger Board is saying he's spoken with the prep writer at the Wisconsin State Journal, and said prep writer told him it's Baylor or Iowa State.

Maybe that meeting on Tuesday was a last attempt by the Maymons to see if MU would "offer" the same opportunity as Baylor or Iowa State.