'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Weren't you already a head coach?  (Read 9387 times)

HarveysWallbangers

Weren't you already a head coach?
« on: May 19, 2008, 05:31:55 PM »
Williams told Dennis Krause that he still speaks to Crean every single day. Does anybody else find this unsettling?

This guy is taking recruits from you, Buzz!!!!

tower912

• All American
Re: Weren't you already a head coach?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 05:34:36 PM »
Maybe they talk and say "Man, can you believe that crap they are saying about both of us on the stupid message boards?   Apparently we are the worst two coaches in creation!   Who knew?"
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 05:40:21 PM »
Harvey---At least he stopped writing letters to coaches. After hearing his story with Krause it sounds like he worked with some of the best. Summer camp sounds like it coming along nicely.

nola03

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 06:23:18 PM »
Williams told Dennis Krause that he still speaks to Crean every single day. Does anybody else find this unsettling?

This guy is taking recruits from you, Buzz!!!!

My guess is he misspoke.

If not, it adds gasoline to the thought that Tom Crean was the impetus behind the Buzz hire.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 07:23:46 PM »
It seems odds b/c TC left MU, but TC would talk with Calipari, Sampson and Izzo almost daily.  And TC was recruiting against all those guys (not so much Cal, I guess).

I'd be more concerned if Cottingham, Kleibhan or Fr Wild were talking to TC daily.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 07:21:56 AM »
Nola--I would say that it was almost a certainity that Buzz was hired based on TC/Doc endorsement.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 07:40:11 AM »
and you know this..... how?

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 07:47:28 AM »
ATWiz---From what I heard over the weekend prior to the hiring. On late Sat and Sunday before the hiring I heard there was some debate over the hiring of Buzz and one side was using the TC and Doc endorsement. Before you jump on me, no I was not in the meetings, but do believe what I heard as being accurate.

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 07:58:27 AM »
Nola--I would say that it was almost a certainity that Buzz was hired based on TC/Doc endorsement.

That's was so pathetic about this. Doc Rivers as much as admitted he barely knew Buzz Williams, which means that Williams is basically a hand-picked Crean coach. That's the dirty little secret and precisely why they didn't bother to interview anybody else.

It's stunning how little Marquette thinks of itself. It's almost embarrassing, really. The AD "search" and now this. Are they afraid that outsiders will disrupt things? It's bizarre.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 08:04:48 AM »
GBar -  you may be right, but it is hearsay, and you may also be incorrect.  To assert that it was almost a certainty that Buzz was hired on the endorsement of TC and Doc, well, it seems like a pretty big step unless you were there to witness the entire search/hiring process.  I think that, as many have already stated, MU had a list, Buzz was on it. When others opted out, MU got it's man whether he was #1 or # 4.  Easy decision, as #1,2,3 were not interested.

For comparison, let's watch how Davis does at PC then decide if MU blew it.

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 08:29:21 AM »
For the record, there are people under the employ of Marquette that think having Crean advise Williams is a great thing.

From the other board:

"Crean may compete for players like Jamil Wilson but would Crean runs out of schollies or does not need a player...or there is not a fit...would Crean rather have a top player go to MU or to Mich or Ill or PU?"

How blessed we are to have Tom Crean passing on his leftovers to Marquette...a major college basketball program, five years removed from the Final Four and competing in a far superior conference. I cannot believe how lucky we are!

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 11:21:58 AM »

It's stunning how little Marquette thinks of itself. It's almost embarrassing, really. The AD "search" and now this. Are they afraid that outsiders will disrupt things? It's bizarre.

+1 ... summed up nicely my newly complete collegiate experience.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 11:53:52 AM »
GBar -  you may be right, but it is hearsay, and you may also be incorrect.  To assert that it was almost a certainty that Buzz was hired on the endorsement of TC and Doc, well, it seems like a pretty big step unless you were there to witness the entire search/hiring process.  I think that, as many have already stated, MU had a list, Buzz was on it. When others opted out, MU got it's man whether he was #1 or # 4.  Easy decision, as #1,2,3 were not interested.

For comparison, let's watch how Davis does at PC then decide if MU blew it.

Iis PC and MU on the same level?  MU is preseason top 25, coming off 3 straight NCAAs.  PC hasn't been to the NCAAs since the 2003-04 season.  I'd be curious how you're going to make this comparison since they are clearly starting at different levels.  Barry Switzer could get MU into the NCAAs this season, Barry Switzer could not get Providence into the NCAAs this year (though I actually think Providence should be pretty decent as they are a veteran club next year and shouldn't have to deal with the injuries they had the last two years).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 12:04:43 PM »
Iis PC and MU on the same level?  MU is preseason top 25, coming off 3 straight NCAAs.  PC hasn't been to the NCAAs since the 2003-04 season.  I'd be curious how you're going to make this comparison since they are clearly starting at different levels.  Barry Switzer could get MU into the NCAAs this season, Barry Switzer could not get Providence into the NCAAs this year (though I actually think Providence should be pretty decent as they are a veteran club next year and shouldn't have to deal with the injuries they had the last two years).

Tim Welsh was fired because he couldn't get talented, NCAA-quality teams into the postseason.
With 12 of 13 players returning - including every starter - and Sharraud Curry coming back from injury, PU had better make the tournament this year.
If they don't, what's that say about Keno Davis?

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 12:11:37 PM »
Tim Welsh was fired because he couldn't get talented, NCAA-quality teams into the postseason.
With 12 of 13 players returning - including every starter - and Sharraud Curry coming back from injury, PU had better make the tournament this year.
And obviously, if Providence doesn't get into the NCAA tournament then Marquette made a great hire. What in the Fukodome are you talking about?

Would you have objected if Marquette hired Keno Davis? I doubt it. Of course, you'd praise Marquette up and down if they'd hired Mike McCarter.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 01:03:56 PM »
Coaches are friends with other coaches. To think or say 'you can't talk to X because they are your enemy' is ludicrous.

Now, there are obviously coaches out there that negative-recruit against other coaches or programs. Just because you may not like Crean talking to Williams everyday, so what? That has no bearing on this program whatsoever. That point people need to get over and stop this rabid fascination with everything Crean's doing/not doing at IU. He's gone. Let him go.

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 01:06:11 PM »
That's precisely the point, Niv. He's gone. He should have nothing to do with Marquette.

I just wonder why MU took recommendations for a coach from the guy who thought "Gold" was a good idea.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 01:14:14 PM »

Crap in is crap out.  If you return 12 crappy players it just makes next year's squad still crappy but a year older.   ;)  It's a team that didn't even make the NIT last year.  They barely made the Big East tournament as they were the last seeded team at #12.

That being said, I think Davis just might get them in next year, despite having ZERO players on PC's squad that made All Big East 1st or 2nd team, and having one make honorable mention.  I think they will be there potentially to get into the tournament, certainly the NIT.  

Meanwhile, we return three All Big East performers...anything less then a NCAA bid (unless we have injuries) would be a collosal failure, I'm sure you would agree.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:17:24 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 01:44:21 PM »
Anything less than a sweet sixteen would be a failure providing McNeal comes back.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 01:48:11 PM »
Anything less than a sweet sixteen would be a failure providing McNeal comes back.

I can't go there, not without knowing what the matchups are, where we play, etc.  Just get us in, should be as equal or better seed then this year and hope we get some favorable matchups.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 01:48:26 PM »
Crap in is crap out.  If you return 12 crappy players it just makes next year's squad still crappy but a year older.   ;)  It's a team that didn't even make the NIT last year.  They barely made the Big East tournament as they were the last seeded team at #12.

PU was predicted by the league's other coaches to finish 8th in the conference last year, which would have put them in line for an NCAA bid. Geoff McDermott was pre-season All-Big East, meaning other coaches saw him as one of the 11 best players in the league.
Apparently guys who coach in the league didn't think they were so crappy. Neither did the Providence administration.
Obviously with the coach of the year at the helm Providence should be competing for a tournament spot, don't you think.

Meanwhile, we return three All Big East performers...anything less then a NCAA bid (unless we have injuries) would be a collosal failure, I'm sure you would agree.

I do agree.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 02:12:26 PM »
And obviously, if Providence doesn't get into the NCAA tournament then Marquette made a great hire. What in the Fukodome are you talking about?

Would you have objected if Marquette hired Keno Davis? I doubt it. Of course, you'd praise Marquette up and down if they'd hired Mike McCarter.

I would have objected to Davis even more than Lowery.  Davis inherited players, and made his deep run this year based solely on his father's players and I haven't seen anything remarkable about the class he would have had coming in had he stayed.  I would argue as well that Drake even underperformed for this years team considering he returned his top 7 players from last season.  You can't just look and say, oh this guy was a head coach(mid-major), and made the NCAAs and say he is a good fit.  I would have lambasted the administration for taking Keno and am willing to bet PC will regret it in the future as well.

People trash Buzz's resume but honestly, the guy got a year of head coaching experience in one of the worst situations possible....doesn't that at least partially prepare him for a high major position?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »
Chico's----Agree on the seeding and believe better seeding should = a sweet sixteen.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 02:24:35 PM »
PU was predicted by the league's other coaches to finish 8th in the conference last year, which would have put them in line for an NCAA bid. Geoff McDermott was pre-season All-Big East, meaning other coaches saw him as one of the 11 best players in the league.
Apparently guys who coach in the league didn't think they were so crappy. Neither did the Providence administration.
Obviously with the coach of the year at the helm Providence should be competing for a tournament spot, don't you think.

I do agree.

Those same coaches had Notre Dame 9th and West Virginia 10th, right?   And Syracuse 5th.  ;)

By the way, it's PC, not PU.  PU is Purdue.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 02:29:18 PM »
I would have objected to Davis even more than Lowery.  Davis inherited players, and made his deep run this year based solely on his father's players and I haven't seen anything remarkable about the class he would have had coming in had he stayed.  I would argue as well that Drake even underperformed for this years team considering he returned his top 7 players from last season.  You can't just look and say, oh this guy was a head coach(mid-major), and made the NCAAs and say he is a good fit.  I would have lambasted the administration for taking Keno and am willing to bet PC will regret it in the future as well.

People trash Buzz's resume but honestly, the guy got a year of head coaching experience in one of the worst situations possible....doesn't that at least partially prepare him for a high major position?

Drake was 16-15 the year prior....they then went up to 26-5 under Keno, playing a more difficult schedule (per the RPI).  I don't know how they underperformed at all.  They improved a ton from the year prior.  Drake hadn't been to the NCAAs in decades either.

Their combined 5 losses were by 15 points....including a miracle shot at the end of OT to a Sweet 16 team.  As far as his father's players, if I recall correctly Keno was on the staff assisting in developing, recruiting, etc those players....the same accolades we give Buzz for what he did at Texas A&M and MU...right?   Keno was an assistant at Drake for four years. 

He was also an assistant under Bruce Pearl at Southern Indiana and an assisant at Iowa.  Davis is a good coach, he'll be just fine.  I would have been thrilled to have Davis.

AP National Coach of the Year (2008)
The Sporting News Coach of the Year (2008)
Henry Iba Award Coach of the Year (2008)
Hugh Durham Award Mid-Major Coach of the Year (2008)
Basketball Times Coach of the Year (2008)
MVC Coach of the Year (2008)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:33:04 PM by ChicosBailBonds »