collapse

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mayo allegedly accepts 30K  (Read 6614 times)

esotericmindguy

• All American
Mayo allegedly accepts 30K
« on: May 11, 2008, 09:58:56 PM »
No real shocker, but I wonder how much of this still goes on. 

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=806668

MUCam

• All American
Re: Mayo allegedly accepts 30K
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 06:08:15 AM »
Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it goes on. These sports agency firms are vultures, almost in the mold of DIV I basketball coaches. They must "recruit" kids to survive and are willing to do just about anything to accomplish that goal. That said, they are not constrained by the dictates of the NCAA and so generally suffer little if any consequences for making payments (although there may be legal consequences via the university and lega action). What does it matter to a sports agency firm if Mayo loses amateur status or if USC is penalized for Mayo taking money? The truth is, it matters very little as long as Mayo signs with them and gets drafted very high. The signing and the drafting, equals big money for Mayo, which in turn equals big money and big name for the firm.

I actually feel bad for the student-athlete (yes, even Mayo and his somewhat misguided ways). It has to be tough to turn down the allure of a down payment on the good life, especially when one is a young, impressionable teenager who has not seen that kind of money before. These adults at the sports agency firms feed these kids a line of garbage about how the kid is entitled to the money and about how the kid will never get caught with the money. It would be very easy to say yes for the high schooler.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 06:10:35 AM by MUCam »

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 08:15:26 AM »
I actually feel bad for the student-athlete (yes, even Mayo and his somewhat misguided ways). It has to be tough to turn down the allure of a down payment on the good life, especially when one is a young, impressionable teenager who has not seen that kind of money before. These adults at the sports agency firms feed these kids a line of garbage about how the kid is entitled to the money and about how the kid will never get caught with the money. It would be very easy to say yes for the high schooler.

I watched the "behind the lines" story that ESPN ran, they were recruiting the guy when he was in 9th grade! 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 12:15:44 PM »
I agree. So much of this goes on, it's sickening.

EDIT: With impending sanctions, I wonder how this will affect Demar DeRozan's recruitment/signing and...oh yeah...Master P's kid, too.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 12:21:05 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:56:12 AM »
what shocks me is how Mayo went to USC, and no one thought it was odd.  A kid from the East Coast goes to USC, without an official visit.  That seems a BIT fishy to me.  I have a feeling things will start to change at USC soon.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 08:38:55 AM »
what shocks me is how Mayo went to USC, and no one thought it was odd.  A kid from the East Coast goes to USC, without an official visit.  That seems a BIT fishy to me.  I have a feeling things will start to change at USC soon.

Huntington, WV is the East Coast? I don't think so.

Also, if you are a big star player why not go to LA to try and get in on the hype that goes with being that city?

I am not saying OJ didn't do it, just that your logic is flawed.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 01:32:19 PM »

He wanted to get into acting and entertainment also....thus LA is where you need to be.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 01:41:37 PM »

If I recall correctly, Mayo said he wanted to go to USC because:

1. He wanted to be in a major market to maximize his exposure.
2. He wanted to go somewhere where he'd be viewed as a program savior, which scratched UCLA off the list.

It's worth remembering that Tim Floyd never really recruited Mayo. Mayo's pimp representative approached Floyd and told him Mayo wanted to be at Southern Cal.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
Now USC could lose DeRozan if USC gets penalties from the Mayo problems.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-derozan14-2008may14,0,2935207.story?track=rss
SC's top basketball recruit might change his college choice if the Trojans face severe sanctions by the NCAA over illegal extra benefits allegedly received by O.J. Mayo.

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 03:53:14 PM »
How about this punishment -- they lose DeRosen, but are forced to keep master P's son? ;D

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 12:06:49 AM »
Now USC could lose DeRozan if USC gets penalties from the Mayo problems.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-derozan14-2008may14,0,2935207.story?track=rss

How about this nugget from DeRozan's half-brother:
"If they can't make the tournament next year, that's what we're going to college for," Jermaine DeRozan said. "If you do your one year, you at least have to shine and get to the tournament with the intentions of winning it or get to the Elite Eight."

Just in case there was any shred of doubt that DeRozan will be in the 09 draft...

groove

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 11:15:07 AM »
How about this nugget from DeRozan's half-brother:
Just in case there was any shred of doubt that DeRozan will be in the 09 draft...

Damn, that would be a shame if he blew out his knee early in his freshman year. But, wait, I bet he has a backup plan that he worked out with his HS guidance counselor. Pimpin' on the street corner somewhere.