Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jeremiah Rivers to transfer from Georgetown  (Read 6122 times)

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
Jeremiah Rivers to transfer from Georgetown
« on: May 07, 2008, 06:56:18 PM »
According to Andy Katz on ESPN MVP from Verizon Wireless...Possibly to MU?????

nyg

• All American
Re: Jeremiah Rivers to transfer from Georgetown
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 06:57:43 PM »
I'll take his younger brother, Austin.  He is a HS freshman and will be very good.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 07:03:05 PM »
This TOTALLY smells like an MU transfer.

I'd support it.

He'd be valuable off the bench. ;)
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 07:05:47 PM »
This TOTALLY smells like an MU transfer.

I'd support it.

He'd be valuable off the bench. ;)

He's transferring to IU   ;)

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 07:09:11 PM »

I guess that would make sense:
- The season he sits out, he won't have to miss the NCAA postseason.
- Crean loves coaches' sons.
- Crean and Rivers are buddies.
- He was never "BE starter-quality."
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 07:11:08 PM »
I guess that would make sense:
- The season he sits out, he won't have to miss the NCAA postseason.
- Crean loves coaches' sons.
- Crean and Rivers are buddies.
- He was never "BE starter-quality."

My wink was not meant to mean I know this is happening, it was more to get some of the folks here goofy.  I have no idea where he is going, but going to IU would not shock me at all.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 07:11:21 PM »
are there any additional implications (like loi) that might inhibit one to transfer to a conference foe?

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 07:13:03 PM »
My wink was not meant to mean I know this is happening, it was more to get some of the folks here goofy.  I have no idea where he is going, but going to IU would not shock me at all.

Oh. I thought it was a legit comment.

I must've missed the teal. ;)
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 07:15:09 PM »
Here's why it's very likely he's not coming to Marquette.....they're not allowed to.

Big East Intra-Conference Transfer Policy
Student-athletes in the sports of football and men’s and women’s basketball are not permitted to transfer, directly or indirectly, from one BIG EAST institution to another BIG EAST institution and participate in athletics.  There are no exceptions or waivers to this rule.

Student-athletes in all other sports may transfer, directly or indirectly, from one BIG EAST institution to another BIG EAST institution and participate in athletics provided that prior to competing for the second Conference institution the student-athlete serves a year in residency at the second conference institution.  During the year in residency [two full semesters or three full quarters (which shall be determined in accordance with NCAA rules associated with transfers)] the student-athlete shall not lose a year of eligibility, and shall be eligible to practice and receive athletically related financial aid.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 07:19:19 PM »
This move surprises me. Rivers played signifcant minutes and was a valuble contributor. I would also not  be shocked to see him end up at IU. I think the departed had a close relationship with him coming out of high school but Jeremiah didn't want to play in his father's shadow at Marquette. His transfer to Indiana utimately accomplishes what he couldn't have with Crean at MU.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 07:25:34 PM »
Surprises me too, but freshman guard Chris Wright who was injured the first 3/4 of the year is a McDonalds AA and a real stud.  He would see the majority of time at guard.   Georgetown recently lost Vernon Macklin, a former HS All American, probably because Greg Monroe was recruited in. Then, Georgetown receives a transfer from Florida State, another big man, Julian Vaughn.   

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 07:42:23 PM »
Surprises me too, but freshman guard Chris Wright who was injured the first 3/4 of the year is a McDonalds AA and a real stud.  He would see the majority of time at guard.   Georgetown recently lost Vernon Macklin, a former HS All American, probably because Greg Monroe was recruited in. Then, Georgetown receives a transfer from Florida State, another big man, Julian Vaughn.   

I understand the Macklin move more than the Rivers transfer. Rivers definitely needed to step up his game late in the season. No way did he play like a starter. And now with Wallace gone, those are some HUUUUUGE PG shoes that need filling. Rivers couldn't fill them even with his best game.

With Macklin, he was an underachiever. Big boy with nice hands and a power game (but a Shaq-like FT percentage) that never blossomed in Big Man U. aka Gtown. A change of scenery and an immediate opportunity to play at Florida was a good move for the former McD's All-American.
SS Marquette

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 07:56:11 PM »
Doc Rivers knows every D1 coach in the country - either knows him or they want to know Doc!  UCLA or UNC would make room for Jeremiah just to have the Boston Celtics head coach have a reason to visit the team.  So, it's not just MU and IU, every/any team in the country will take Jeremiah.

I'll bet he goes to Boston College.  Close to his family, new city for Jeremiah, ACC team.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 07:56:53 PM »
Georgetown will not be hurting anywhere.  With McDonald AA's Austin Freeman and Chris Wright, along with senior Jessie Sapp and 4 star freshman point guard Jason Clark at guards, they are loaded.  Add McDonalds AA Dujaun Summers and freshman McDonalds AA Greg Monroe, Chris Braswell and Henry Sims as big men, one could only wish to have a lineup like this. Did I mention McDonalds AA in this thread?  They must have a great GPA to get into such a prestigious university.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 10:28:21 PM »
If he goes to IU Doc should lose BOT status that moment. He frickin' endorsed Buzz and did not even know the guy. TC jerked Doc off and we got Buzz. To listen to Doc in the hiring process was beyond laughable. I would rather have Freeway on the BOT.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 10:55:32 PM »
If he goes to IU Doc should lose BOT status that moment. He frickin' endorsed Buzz and did not even know the guy. TC jerked Doc off and we got Buzz. To listen to Doc in the hiring process was beyond laughable. I would rather have Freeway on the BOT.

What part of the "no transfers to another big east school" rule do you not understand? 

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 02:14:39 AM »
Georgetown will not be hurting anywhere.  With McDonald AA's Austin Freeman and Chris Wright, along with senior Jessie Sapp and 4 star freshman point guard Jason Clark at guards, they are loaded.  Add McDonalds AA Dujaun Summers and freshman McDonalds AA Greg Monroe, Chris Braswell and Henry Sims as big men, one could only wish to have a lineup like this. Did I mention McDonalds AA in this thread?  They must have a great GPA to get into such a prestigious university.

Not to mention they have 6'6 Hollis Thompson from Los Angeles Loyola (#3 SF/#17 nationally) committed for the 2009 class.

http://georgetown.scout.com/a.z?s=433&p=8&c=1&nid=3095972

Geez. Talk about the rich getting richer.

At least they lost out on Creek!  ::)
SS Marquette

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 07:24:29 AM »
Marquette84--- Confused by your post. I do not want little Rivers, his younger brother maybe. Obviously education plays a factor in the Rivers case and while IU is good school it is not Georgetown. If little Rivers ends up at IU in my heart I will believe that Doc should not have been part of the hiring process.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 08:20:29 AM »

Didn't Patrick Ewing, Jr. transfer from IU to G'Town? Maybe this is like a "player to be named later" trade in baseball?
We Are Marquette

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 08:34:37 AM »
While a prestigious university, Georgetown is famous for relaxing its admission policy for its basketball players.   

nyg

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 08:45:17 AM »
You think?  Allen Iverson, Michael Graham and Patrick Ewing.  Combined hs gpa of 4.0

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 09:05:03 AM »
ecompt---Then maybe MU has to follow suit.We have lofty standards and I would bet there are some on here who would rather see a FF then 92% graduation rate. I think some of us use our academic standards as an excuse on why we are a bigger success on the court. Perfect world you have both. I would have no problem if MU wanted to the standard academically, just don't play in the BE.

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 09:30:05 AM »
ecompt---Then maybe MU has to follow suit.We have lofty standards and I would bet there are some on here who would rather see a FF then 92% graduation rate. I think some of us use our academic standards as an excuse on why we are a bigger success on the court. Perfect world you have both. I would have no problem if MU wanted to the standard academically, just don't play in the BE.

Are you kidding? Marquette may have a high graduation rate, but we're not Stanford. Give me a break.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 09:46:38 AM »
Harvey---Exactly my point!!!! MU is not Stanford and yet we pride ourselves on our academic standards. Are our standards higher than Georgetown or ND's? If yes, why? If no, why do they recruit better players?

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 09:51:41 AM »
How can you say ND recruits better players than us?  We were clearly better than ND last year and it was not due to better coaching.

feedback