[Today at 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Would you be interested in contributing to or reading a blog all about Marquette Recruiting?

Yeah! I love the idea and would help contribute
12 (9.8%)
Yes! I would definitely respond to posts
43 (35%)
Sure. I'll read this site often
47 (38.2%)
Maybe. I might check this every once in a while
10 (8.1%)
No. We don't need this site
11 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Voting closed: May 05, 2008, 06:19:41 PM

Author Topic: Regarding MU Recruiting  (Read 12565 times)

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
Regarding MU Recruiting
« on: April 28, 2008, 06:19:41 PM »
So we definitely talk about Jamil Wilson enough on this website but I do believe that overall the talk of different recruits is scattered and hard to come by.

If I start a blog strictly pertaining to MU recruits including interest level, ranking, comments, and school updates would you be interested in helping out or reading a site like this?

I find myself constantly scrambling between ESPN, rivals, and scout to see different recruits and it might be easier for everyone if we centralized all the information.
We really can take this where ever we want. My thought is that Crackedsidewalks.com offers information and news while Muscoop.com offers a place where people can chatter about different MU rumblings. My site would offer something in the middle where people could help me write on things or simply hold conversations within the reply zone.

So all that being said, are you interested? Just respond to the multiple choice and feel free to offer any addition suggestions down below. If you want to be a part of the writing team - i thought we could divide by state, year or player - email me at newman_zachary@muhs.edu

If people don't seem all that interested then I'll leave it be, but if enough seem interested I'll start the blog up soon and introduce it to people within the next few weeks or so.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 03:07:40 PM by bleedbluegold03 »

Created by the Jamil_toMU09

MU in Miami

• Starter
Re: Regarding MU Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 06:42:42 PM »
I'll wager that the tanned one becomes your first subscriber.
I would definitely review it, though.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 06:52:59 PM »
I'll wager that the tanned one becomes your first subscriber.
I would definitely review it, though.

Ban any IPs from IU!
SS Marquette

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:14:09 PM »
If I start a blog strictly pertaining to MU recruits including interest level, ranking, comments, and school updates would you be interested in helping out or reading a site like this?

Are you set on a blog, or would you be willing to be a moderator/co-moderator of a separate board & the wiki here on MUScoop?  We've got another member that was interested in this, and I just haven't set it up yet (totally my fault...).

Here's the original thread: http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=7363.0

If you're willing to keep it here, I can get this up later tonight, and you can start collecting info.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 07:42:35 PM »
So we definitely talk about Jamil Wilson enough on this website but I do believe that overall the talk of different recruits is scattered and hard to come by.

I find myself constantly scrambling between ESPN, rivals, and scout to see different recruits and it might be easier for everyone if we centralized all the information. Another of my pet peaves is going to a rivals or scout.com only to see that the article I want to read is "insider only". Having this site we can have a few of us subscribe to different sites and share the articles with different people so nobody is left in the dark.

Any lawyers in the house?  I don't won't to kill this idea, as it sounds great, I just think someone should look into the legal issues of posting info from the subscriber boards like rivals or scout onto a separate site.  I can ask my professors, but does anyone here know how we should go about this so no one gets sued?

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 07:49:03 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I just emailed him and I'll see where this goes and keep you posted. Thanks for the help

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 07:51:38 PM »
in
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 03:08:43 PM by bleedbluegold03 »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 08:11:26 PM »
The wiki is a perfect place for that project.

Here's a starting point.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball_recruits/2008-2009

MU in Miami

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 08:31:59 PM »
Thanks for the link.  Anyone know if Ben-Eze still has interest?

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 09:26:59 PM »
My first action as Recruiter Guru is to friend Jamil Wilson on Facebook

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »

Oy...do NOT do that.  See my post from last week on why that would be a recruiting violation...
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8824.msg73318#msg73318

Also, I didn't read your initial post clearly enough.  At least if we go the recruiting board on MUScoop, you can not post articles from premium sites.  Also, it would be a violation of the terms of service for your rivals or scout account to give away your login info.  However, you can read the articles and then summarize them for other people.  It's no different than buying a magazine.  You are allowed to read the magazine and then share that (summarized) info with other people (citing the source of course).   However, if you copied the entire magazine and then distributed it around your town, you'd be nailed for copyright violations.

This stuff doesn't require a lawyer - just common sense.

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 10:21:26 PM »
thanks for the help rocky and pardon the ignorance

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 10:22:43 PM »

And it's very weird.

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 10:24:34 PM »
hey its just friending him

im friends with James, McNeal, Matthews, Barro, and Lott

Pretty much tells them they have fans and bolsters confidence/cockiness

you'd be surprised how many random people befriend basketball players: James has 2,873 friends, Jerel has 3,027, and Wes has 3,240
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:29:22 PM by bleedbluegold03 »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
hey its just friending him

im friends with James, McNeal, Matthews, Barro, and Lott

Pretty much tells them they have fans and bolsters confidence/cockiness

you'd be surprised how many random people befriend basketball players: James has 2,873 friends, Jerel has 3,027, and Wes has 3,240

True.

But even trying to do anything regarding recruitment beyond "friending him" is UNDESIRABLE.

Spread the word to your and other MU fans who have "friended him".
SS Marquette

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 12:05:53 PM »
of course not

thats just really creapy. im only friending him. its not like i talk to anyone i befriend

IWB

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 02:44:56 PM »
Someone had told me about this thread and I just couldn't help myself.

Yes it is fine to have people that are currently on the team as your myspace friends, but recruits are an entirely different story. If someone is a booster, alum, season ticket holder etc. etc., they need to stay away from recruits. I would strongly recommend that.

As far as the other portion goes, and I am sure you know why I am answering this, there are two components here, the taking of someone else's content for your own use - well, I think everyone knows how I feel about that, but the other is giving out the username.

I will reference a discussion I had with former Scout.com employee Steve Miller, who was tragically killed last week by the bear he had been training(yeah, that one). Steve was instrumental in helping Doddsy and I build MarquetteHoops.com.

According to Steve, let's say someone gives out his user name to say 5 people. If those five people visit the site under that name 2 times a day each, over the course of a year, and hit the average which is about 10 page views per visit, you could realistically slap the person behind it with 36,500 counts of theft at the annual subscription cost per page view. Sounds extreme, but realistic. This is also very easy to prove too, as you can easily serch the database and see that someone logged in under the same usernam from 20 different places around the country within hours from eachother.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 02:50:57 PM »
former Scout.com employee Steve Miller, who was tragically killed last week by the bear he had been training(yeah, that one).

Wait.  What?
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 02:58:37 PM »
thanks for the help IWB and please check your email

IWB

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 03:04:28 PM »
The bear that was in semi-pro, the Will Farrell movie? Killed his trainer last week. That trainer, Steve Miller, worked for Scout.com for years but left a few months back to start up a new company that would rival Face-book & myspace. He had always done the animal training on the side.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 03:23:38 PM »
Anyone know if Ben-Eze still has interest?

The Washington Post says FBE is considering Davidson and GaTech (unreal, Hewitt making a living off of kids MU thought they'd land).  I think he also visited or was interested in Pitt.  FBE might be a redshirt candidate where ever he goes -- he shredded his knee in Feb

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/13/AR2008041302370.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 03:40:55 PM »
Wait.  What?

Stephan was killed out here in Big Bear Lake at the wildife training center there.  He was there along with two other trainers when Stephan was bit in the neck and bled to death.  He was 39, married with two kids

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iwG3EgsUvXsY7VXAX5710GhAnwZgD9086UJG0

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 09:03:21 AM »
Please disregard IWB's "smoke".  He is simply trying to protect what he considers "his" territory.  I think a board with recruiting info that people are able to gather or summarize would be an outstanding idea for all "true" MU fans.  Again, please take that post with a heavy heavy grain of salt.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 09:30:28 AM »
Mr. H., IWB's mesage is that you do not want to be somehow "contacting" a recruting prospect in any way shape or form if you are an alum, bosster, season ticket holder or otherwise associated with MU.  There is no "smoke" in that message.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 10:46:20 AM »
And the second part of IWB's post is in regards to sharing accounts on other premium sites - something that we also will not be a part of here a MUScoop.  Any attempt to use MUScoop to facilitate this kind of account sharing (e.g. posting of username/passwords) will be halted and the offending users will risk banishment.  no smoke in IWB's post at all.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 11:44:41 AM »
Edited:

Last warning.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 12:16:57 PM by SoCalwarrior »

feedback