[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: TT  (Read 3401 times)

MU NY

• Starter
TT
« on: April 21, 2008, 03:22:11 PM »
Why no appeal to T Taylor directly?  Where are all of our students and alums on this?  This kid would be a great player and student at Marquette.  He has a good reputation and I get the feeling he is taking a look at all of his options...Marquette included.  Buzz did what he could do with a face to face but now it's time for something more serious. 

Hey, this kid will be playing with some of the best guards in D-I not only on the Marquette team but in the Big East as a whole. 

Things seem to have gotten a bit out of whack over the past couple of weeks.  I cannot fault Coach Hurley...he's just doing what any protective coach and family friend would do...now he has options and it's time for "Marquette Nation" to embrace this kid. 

Somebody find a link to St. Anthony's or their student paper and let's send this kid some email love!

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
Re: TT
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:35:32 PM »
I'm not positive on this, but I think if alumni / students start emailing a recruit it might be an NCAA violation.  I'm remembering some rule against "boosters" contacting potential players, with a broad definition of "booster."

Anyone with some real knowledge about this have an opinion. 

At the very least, I don't see any problem with voicing your desire to see TT in an MU uniform right here at MUScoop.  I know if I were a player trying to decide what school to go to I'd get on google and find out what the fans were saying about me. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 03:48:41 PM »
Do NOT e-mail Taylor.  It would be a violation levied against Marquette for fans to contact him.  Consider the Kentucky story:

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2004/0115/1709656.html
The NCAA says that fan Web sites aren't considered media outlets, and that the school might be accountable if a representative contacts a recruit. Such contact might be an NCAA violation.

"Because he was not a media entity, he was a representative of our athletics interests," Bell said Thursday. "The NCAA wouldn't want a booster of any institution to just open a Web site and start interviewing recruits."

Here's a more detailed description of what is and is not allowable:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=rivals-214308&prov=rivals&type=lgns
According to the NCAA Division I bylaws, boosters of a school cannot be involved in any way with the recruitment of a student-athlete. Boosters cannot make any face to face contact with a recruit on or off campus. If a person is not directly associated with the university, meaning they are not employed by the university they cannot be involved in the recruiting process. There can be no arranged meetings on any grounds discussing the university with the recruit or the recruit’s parents.

No gifts of any kind can be given to a prospected student-athlete. For example, say that Johnny P. Fan is a booster for Any State U. Johnny P. Fan knows that Any State U is looking at a talented running back from the school where his children attend. Mr. Fan goes to a game and makes contact with the running back. He congratulates the kid and gives him an order of nachos and a coke. Because of Johnny P. Fan’s ties with the school and his intentions, he has committed a violation. Gray tells us that in these cases, if a report is filed, the student-athlete would have to donate the exact amount for the gift to a charitable donation of his choice. In more severe cases, sanctions can be made. Depending on the severity of the case, a sanction can be made against the booster or the university. Also, the prospect could receive punishment as well. He or she could not be come eligible to enroll at that particular institution.

There are some instances where contact between a booster and a student-athlete is incidental. Gray tells us that NCAA has recognized this situation and has given it a definition. “The NCAA uses a term called unavoidable incidental contact. This is where a person (booster) can exchange a greeting with a recruiting prospect in a neutral setting like a grocery store.” says Gray. In this situation a simple greeting is all that can take place. It is not a planned meeting and is informal. If one were to find themselves in a situation where they were talking to a prospected student-athlete or the parent of a student-athlete, they can talk about anything other than the targeted university.

Another note that should be added is that a recruit still remains a recruit even after he or she has signed their letter of intent. The only time that they can lose this status is when they enroll into classes at the university.

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 03:51:34 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Rocky.  That was the story I was thinking of.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 04:01:05 PM »
No problem - I think we all want Marquette to remain NCAA violation-free.

Also...you are correct in this....

At the very least, I don't see any problem with voicing your desire to see TT in an MU uniform right here at MUScoop.

While I'm personally not a big fan of "Please come to our school Joe Ballplayer" threads, they are perfectly allowable.  Unless of course a recruit or a family memory signs up for MUScoop and begins participating.  That's where it gets murky - and in an oddity of the world, I think if we (the moderators) found out that a recruit or family member signed up we might be forced to ban them  :-\  At least - until they start classes at MU.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 05:08:30 PM »
What keeps someone from pretending to be a fan of another school and bribing recruits.

Example:  Can I pretend to be a Indiana fan and email letters and gifts to TT in an attempt to get him to come to IU?

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 05:09:56 PM »
What keeps someone from pretending to be a fan of another school and bribing recruits.

Example:  Can I pretend to be a Indiana fan and email letters and gifts to TT in an attempt to get him to come to IU?

Yeah, but what if it works?  DOH!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 05:48:08 PM »
Let Natedog and the other guy e-mail them. They are so negative that no one could mistake them for a booster. ::)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 06:55:28 PM »
Wow, that story was about UK football.   I guess they really like doing these things.  Here's the story I was thinking of, which involved UK fans and boosters contacting Patrick Patterson on his Myspace and encouraging him to come to the school.  The result was UK needing to inform the NCAA of a secondary recruiting violation because of the fans' and boosters' actions.  (Though the result was also UK landing Patterson).

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/071906aai.html

feedback