Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette & '09 WI HS recruits  (Read 10064 times)

Wareagle

• Team Captain
Marquette & '09 WI HS recruits
« on: April 27, 2008, 08:31:12 PM »
I was just thinking, the '09 recruiting class is a great opportunity to land a significant amount of talented recruits from MU's home state.  Madison has used up all of it's scholarships, and barring Bo running someone out of town, we are in a great position to land Lacy, Maymon, and/or Wilson (less likely, but I can dream...).  That makes the last assistant coach hire crucial, I hope it's someone with ties to the state.  I know it's always possible to go out of state to land big recruits, but it seems like there is a great opportunity for MU to bat 2/3 on the prospects I mentioned above, all of whom are pretty highly touted and seem well suited to our current type of play.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
Re: Marquette & '09 WI HS recruits
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 08:36:52 PM »
That would be quite a statement for the new warrior coach to land the #1, 2 and 3 ranked players in state.  Might send a message to the rest of the instate recruits and start a trend.  It also might lead to some new fans as everyone loves the instate appeal. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 08:38:24 PM »
Why is Wilson a long shot?  Has he said something?

Is it because he visiting Duke?  He'd be nuts not to.  That doesn't mean he's going.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 09:41:30 PM »
Why is Wilson a long shot?  Has he said something?

Is it because he visiting Duke?  He'd be nuts not to.  That doesn't mean he's going.

From everything I've read, Wilson seems to be a longer shot than the other two.  Maymon's only two current offers are from UW-GB and Baylor.  You'd have to think MU would leapfrog those two if we offered.  We we the first to offer Lacy and he has spoken well of us in the past. We also have PT up for grabs at the guard spots after the three amigos leave.  I believe all of the factors above make it much more likely we land Jeronne and Johnnie.

I'm not saying Wilson committing is impossible, but I'd have to say the chances of landing any player diminish once the big boys get involved.  Don't forget, the gloves are off for Izzo as well now that tommy boy left.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 10:38:18 PM »
So Wilson is a long shot just because he's a five star recruit and "names" are interested in him.

Why doesn't MU move to the horizon leagure right now?

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 10:42:48 PM »
So Wilson is a long shot just because he's a five star recruit and "names" are interested in him.

Why doesn't MU move to the horizon leagure right now?

I said he's a longer shot and it's "less likely" that we could land him as opposed to Lacy and Maymon.  Do you disagree?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 11:06:36 PM »
Maymon looks like a playa
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 12:10:31 AM »
Maymon looks like a playa

He better start hitting the books

jce

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 07:52:15 AM »
From everything I've read, Wilson seems to be a longer shot than the other two.  Maymon's only two current offers are from UW-GB and Baylor.  You'd have to think MU would leapfrog those two if we offered.  We we the first to offer Lacy and he has spoken well of us in the past. We also have PT up for grabs at the guard spots after the three amigos leave.  I believe all of the factors above make it much more likely we land Jeronne and Johnnie.

I'm not saying Wilson committing is impossible, but I'd have to say the chances of landing any player diminish once the big boys get involved.  Don't forget, the gloves are off for Izzo as well now that tommy boy left.

Maymon will also be offered at UW since he is doing well this AAU season and he gets his grades in order.  Maymon is about a three star.  He dominated the state tournament, but he's a lean, 6'6" player.  I mean, I like this guy a lot, but how much of this is dominating relatively weak competition?

BTW, about Wisconsin scholarships...there will be more coming available for '09 from what I understand.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 07:54:47 AM by jce »

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 08:06:53 AM »

Maymon will also be offered at UW since he is doing well this AAU season and he gets his grades in order.  Maymon is about a three star.  He dominated the state tournament, but he's a lean, 6'6" player.  I mean, I like this guy a lot, but how much of this is dominating relatively weak competition?

BTW, about Wisconsin scholarships...there will be more coming available for '09 from what I understand.

St. Bo can't be chasing kids out of the program, can he?

jce

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 08:34:26 AM »

St. Bo can't be chasing kids out of the program, can he?

Well, from what I understand, Gullikson was dropped back to walk on when he signed this kid Evans out of Arizona, and may be looking at "encouraging" a couple of others to leave too. 

Bo is clearly a great Xs and Os coach who gets his teams to play hard and smart.  The problem is that if you look at his roster, he's got a lot of B-level type players...many from Wisconsin...that play smart, fundamental basketball, but can get overwhelmed athletically.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 08:36:58 AM »
He better start hitting the books

if a good academic univ. like baylor offered.......

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 09:26:57 AM »
Stop perpetuating the myth that Bo doesn't get talent.  His team has more 4 and 5 star recruits than MU.   However, it appears that they peak in high school, as Bo teaches them his system (a very good system, I might add) and they become system players and not basketball players.   When Davidson was torching them, they had no plan b, no other way to play.     Bo gets plenty of talent.  But it has to be talent that he can plug in.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jce

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 09:39:48 AM »
Stop perpetuating the myth that Bo doesn't get talent.  His team has more 4 and 5 star recruits than MU.   However, it appears that they peak in high school, as Bo teaches them his system (a very good system, I might add) and they become system players and not basketball players.   When Davidson was torching them, they had no plan b, no other way to play.     Bo gets plenty of talent.  But it has to be talent that he can plug in.

While I agree about your system comments, UW doesn't have any five stars on the roster now, and just a few four stars. (Leuer, Bohannon, Nankivil, etc.)

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 09:44:30 AM »
Wilson is the top prize. He should not be considered a longshot. MU was leading or at least close to leading three weeks ago. Time for Buzz to step up the efforts. This one recruit makes a ton of difference moving forward.

For once I would love to see MU hold the bar at high level. Getting Wilson is a tough job, but come on!!! Local kid that we have recruited for a long time. I hate when we start making excuses even before the process has been completed. No excuses, lets set the bar high.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 09:51:40 AM »
Maymon is also starting to dominate on the AAU circuit which isn't "weak competition."  The kid is a player.  If there were academic concerns, I'm willing to guess many big names would be all over this kid.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 10:28:22 AM »
I like Maymon alot, but have heard there are some character issues. Anyone else hear the same?

jce

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 11:35:09 AM »
I like Maymon alot, but have heard there are some character issues. Anyone else hear the same?

Actually, I have heard he's a pretty good guy...just has some classroom issues.

MU in Miami

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 11:53:30 AM »
Any updates on Johnnie Lacy's recruitment?  I think having him and Erik Williams in the fold will attract a lot of 2009 talent to commit (hopefully Jamil).

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 11:54:14 AM »

It depends how you want to define the word "talent."  Bo doesn't get athletes...he lands a McDonald's All-American that are as "talented" as Brian Butch.  He goes after the best system players he can find.  It doesn't seem an athlete, looking to play in the NBA, is a good fit for Bo's system.  The kids he's able to recruit have proven that.  I would think he could recruit some athletic big men...but that hasn't happened.  

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 12:14:14 PM »

Bo is clearly a great Xs and Os coach who gets his teams to play hard and smart.  The problem is that if you look at his roster, he's got a lot of B-level type players...many from Wisconsin...that play smart, fundamental basketball, but can get overwhelmed athletically.

You just summed up recruiting in WI and why it scares the bejesus out of me if that's what we are relying on for our '09 class. There's Wilson, and then there's everybody else. This is not a great hoops state. Most players from WI other than the single best are b-level talent.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 12:26:54 PM »
Before Wilson, what other WI players were elite and wreaked of BALLIN!-ness?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 12:27:34 PM »
You just summed up recruiting in WI and why it scares the bejesus out of me if that's what we are relying on for our '09 class. There's Wilson, and then there's everybody else. This is not a great hoops state. Most players from WI other than the single best are b-level talent.

That may be the case in most years, but 2009 and 2010 look totally different.  Wilson is top 10, but Lacy and Maymon are top 100 for sure.  In 2010, Evan Anderson is top 15, Flavian Davis and Vander Blue are top 100.  This isn't years ago when maybe one kid would make the top 150.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »

if a good academic univ. like baylor offered.......

Michigan is a good academic univ, and that has never stopped them from offering any athlete with a pulse.  USC is the same way.  Let's not confuse good academic university with athletic admissions.

Please see UW-Madison and Ron Dayne, Moss, etc as examples A & B

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 12:57:22 PM »
Niv---Over the past 20y MU has recruited top 75-150 players to the program. I can say with pretty much confidence that over the past 15y you could field a top 40 team in the country with 50% WI players.

Wisconsin, especially Milwaukee, has turned out a slew of D1 players. MU or UW have benefited as well as a ton of other schools. KO put together a sweet sixteen team with one recruiting class out of WI.

I believe too many people underestimate the ball talent locally. I know people can argue that some inner city kids might not make the grade at MU, but that does not diminish the talent level.

Recruiting at home is tougher than recruiting 700 miles from home. Schools like Duke, NC, UCLA and Kanseas can recruit around the country because of reputation. MU will more likely than not only get top 75-100 players from outside the area. UNLESS WE GET JAMIL WILSON---then our reputation changes nationally.

feedback