Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Taylor breaks down Kansas visit  (Read 9135 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Taylor breaks down Kansas visit
« on: April 25, 2008, 09:21:52 PM »
April 25, 2008
Taylor breaks down Kansas visit

Shay Wildeboor
JayhawkSlant.com

Tyshawn Taylor just finished up his official visit to Kansas. We had a chance to catch up with the point guard for an exclusive interview while he was at the airport. Is he ready to commit? Will he take a visit to Florida? We have the latest on Taylor's thoughts and what the future holds.

http://florida.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=&script=content.asp&cid=801513&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

-----

Can anyone post this interview?  A password is required

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Taylor breaks down Kansas visit
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 09:25:44 PM »
He isn't coming

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 09:52:24 PM »
Fine. We will survive.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 09:56:01 PM »
He isn't coming

He should consult a urologist if that's the case.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 10:06:23 PM »
What does the interview say?

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 10:16:28 PM »
Article Summary:

Taylor loves everything about Kansas, Self really wants him there, he can see himself living there. The end

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 10:58:25 PM »
as long as his wet-nurse high school coach approves, of course.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 06:07:44 AM »
Tyshawn Taylor sought the opinion of a fellow Easterner on his Wednesday-Friday official campus visit to Kansas University.

“I spoke to Russell a lot. Russell is from the city, too, so we have a lot in common,” Taylor, a 6-foot-3 point senior point guard from St. Anthony High in Jersey City, N.J., said of Robinson, KU’s outgoing senior guard from the Bronx, N.Y.

“I asked him how he adjusted to going to school so far away. He said he adjusted well,” added Taylor, Rivals.com’s No. 77-rated player, in a phone interview after returning to Jersey on Friday night.

Taylor averaged 10.0 points and 5.0 assists for undefeated state champion St. Anthony. He recently was released from his letter of intent to Marquette after coach Tom Crean bolted for Indiana.

Taylor, who already has visited Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Marquette and KU, said he will meet with St. Anthony coach Bob Hurley on Monday then decide whether he wants to make a final visit to Florida.

“Tell everybody they have a great shot (at landing Taylor), and thanks for being so kind to me. I loved it,” Taylor said of his trip to Lawrence.

If Taylor ultimately picks KU — and judging from the enthusiasm in his voice the Jayhawks figure to be his leaders — he likely would room with Quintrell Thomas, a 6-8 senior power forward from St. Patrick High in Elizabeth, N.J.

“Yes, I know Quintrell. He’s a very good player,” Taylor said. “My high school team went against his for the state championship. We won, but they got us the last two years.”

St. Anthony beat St. Patrick, 64-52, in the state semis. Taylor had 10 points and Thomas four points (with seven boards) in that game.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 06:09:31 AM »
The highlighted part above is wrong.  On Monday Taylor will sit down with Hurley find out if HURLEY wants him to meet with Florida.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 07:52:19 AM »
not coming to MU?  au revoir.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 09:05:53 AM »
Why I do not think he is going to go to MU, this is a player that has talked glowingly about all the schools he has visited. He seems like a nice kid.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 09:13:03 AM »
Why I do not think he is going to go to MU, this is a player that has talked glowingly about all the schools he has visited. He seems like a nice kid.

He is a good kid.

We'll have plenty of opportunities to watch him play as Kansas defends their National Title.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 10:58:34 AM »
He is the 77th best player in the country...big deal. We have a top 15 player in our own area code. Just because TC signed him MU does not mean he is a stud.

I really believe we have to focus 120% on Wilson. No excuses for not getting him. His signing will define Buzz and the program. As far as I am concerned all of TC's recruits can go to Kansas. Problem is Kansas recruits top 10 players not top 100 players.

We as fans need to stay focused on the task at hand. Getting Jamil Wilson makes it a top 20 recruiting class next year. It is easier to repeat in top 20 then it is to get there once.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 11:02:13 AM »
Apparently Kansas recruits Top 100 players too... I have this feeling that if he is good enough for Kansas that he is good enough for MU.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 11:07:38 AM »
Spartan---Point is simply the kid is gone. I would rather have Jamil Wilson than Taylor anyday of the week. Both in talent and perception nationally.

I think Bob Huggins is a thug, but wherever he goes he recruits top players. I'm not saying we want to recruit to players like Huggins does, but he is known nationally as someone that gets studs.

If Buzz can sign Wilson this coming year it means more to the program than keeping all of TC's recruits from this year. Wilson is an impact signing to MU.

FYI---I watched Kansas and they recruit top 10 players. They are losing some guys and Taylor is best of remaining guys. I doubt if he target recruit for them a year ago. If he was NO WAY Tommy would have got him.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 11:38:01 AM »
The Gymbar is right in that chances are TT will be recruited over at Kansas as Kansas does recruit studs year after year.  TT will definitely have to step up his game.  Funny thing is that TT could very well get more minutes at Kansas next year than MU if Kansas loses any of its guards to the draft but by the time his career would be finished, he very well could be a bench player at Kansas while being a stud a MU.  It will be interesting to see how this works out for him.  His talents fit MU way better than they do at a Kansas or NC like program.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 12:11:29 PM »

I really believe we have to focus 120% on Wilson. No excuses for not getting him. His signing will define Buzz and the program.

I realize that Wilson is a great player... but I hope he doesn't define a program and coach.

I hope that MU program is bigger than 1 player.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 12:35:16 PM »
Spartan---Point is simply the kid is gone. I would rather have Jamil Wilson than Taylor anyday of the week. Both in talent and perception nationally.

I think Bob Huggins is a thug, but wherever he goes he recruits top players. I'm not saying we want to recruit to players like Huggins does, but he is known nationally as someone that gets studs.

If Buzz can sign Wilson this coming year it means more to the program than keeping all of TC's recruits from this year. Wilson is an impact signing to MU.

FYI---I watched Kansas and they recruit top 10 players. They are losing some guys and Taylor is best of remaining guys. I doubt if he target recruit for them a year ago. If he was NO WAY Tommy would have got him.

Choosing between Wilson and Taylor is irrelevant. Different classes, different positions, different needs. Jamil Wilson will not start as a PG his Freshman season whereas Taylor could have been MU's starting PG. We needed Taylor more for positioning then anything else.

Kansas recruited Taylor at the same time Marquette did. KU didn't offer a scholarship because they were also recruiting another guard in Warren and didn't know how many would be leaving after the season.

When the National Champions come to your door, you don't suck.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 01:39:53 PM »
GymBar - really? "No excuses if MU loses" a local recruit to the likes of Duke, UNC, MSU and other top 10 programs? C'mon. That's being pretty hard on the kid. THey attend schools for different reasons. Some like to leave home and start anew elsewhere (see no further than Wes Matthews).

C'mon. Disappointed, yes. But he's a top 5 prospect. If here were a top 20-50, then maybe you question what's going on. But I'm not gonna get all over Buzz if he loses Jamil, at least if he goes to another prominent program.

Now...if he goes to Bucky? I guess then I'd have an issue.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 02:24:20 PM »
Niv--I realize the stakes are high on Wilson. But I also know that any top coach would be beyond disappointed not getting a top 15 recruit that is local. We have a ton going for us. They are:
1. Family---Tight with his Dad and he can be every home game.
2. Big East
3. History of putting kids in NBA
4. Great school

Us getting Wilson to MU should be easier than Huggins getting Beasley to KState. If we want to compete in to conference we have to raise our recruiting bar. TC recruited good players and we never have competed for BE title. Great players win banners.

Again, if Wilson was a complete bust it still would put us in different light if signed here. This kid will not define Buzz or program if we do not get him, but it will if Buzz does get him.

MU admin stated they want to win in PC. Then the bar has been set by them. In my opinion sixth place in BE is not winning. It is good, but MU leaders made it sound like they want more. Simple solution, recruit better players.

Recruiting Wilson is huge task. Recruiting players from TX year in and year out is bigger task. One player like Wilson can change things 100% for MU. Lets raise the bar and hope to get the Wilson's of the world. Once you do it is easier getting the TT's of the world to sign in May of their Sr. year.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 02:40:39 PM »
COD---I agree that TT and JW are different players, different classes and positions. I also know the talent level does not compare. Top 15 recruit in any publication is a top 15 recruit. When you get to 75-100 players there are 75 guys named in that area. Sure I wish we got TT. My point is we did not and that is obvious.

Getting Wilson changes MU nationally. Hiring Buzz did not provide a great deal of national, or even local, excitement. Signing of Wilson puts Buzz on the map. I would rather recruit every top player within 100 miles than recruit in Texas.

My guess is recruiting gets easier with success. I know in my life that business success builds on itself. Getting Butler to sign is not making the job easier. Getting Wilson to sign makes it easier.

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 02:56:46 PM »
I hope that MU program is bigger than 1 player.

NOPE
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 10:16:09 PM by muPARTY »

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 11:49:07 AM »
Niv--I realize the stakes are high on Wilson. But I also know that any top coach would be beyond disappointed not getting a top 15 recruit that is local. We have a ton going for us. They are:
1. Family---Tight with his Dad and he can be every home game.
2. Big East
3. History of putting kids in NBA
4. Great school

Us getting Wilson to MU should be easier than Huggins getting Beasley to KState. If we want to compete in to conference we have to raise our recruiting bar. TC recruited good players and we never have competed for BE title. Great players win banners.

Again, if Wilson was a complete bust it still would put us in different light if signed here. This kid will not define Buzz or program if we do not get him, but it will if Buzz does get him.

MU admin stated they want to win in PC. Then the bar has been set by them. In my opinion sixth place in BE is not winning. It is good, but MU leaders made it sound like they want more. Simple solution, recruit better players.

Recruiting Wilson is huge task. Recruiting players from TX year in and year out is bigger task. One player like Wilson can change things 100% for MU. Lets raise the bar and hope to get the Wilson's of the world. Once you do it is easier getting the TT's of the world to sign in May of their Sr. year.

While we do have all of this going for us the schools we are battling for Wilson all have a lot of the same things going for them. With the exception of point 1 all the points apply to all the schools. Duke and UNC are both in the ACC, both put tons of kids in the NBA (more than MU) and are both top notch universities, some would argue they are even better than MU. All of the other schools can make the same argument, just substitute their conference for Big East. The main thing we have going for us is the family issue... it'll be tough, lets just all hope we pull it out.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 12:07:43 PM »
"Duke and UNC are both in the ACC, both put tons of kids in the NBA (more than MU) and are both top notch universities, some would argue they are even better than MU."

As an MU grad I have to ask, "some" would argue that they are even better than MU?"  Maybe this was intended to be intentional understatement but with a son who is about to graduate from UNC, I can tell you that both UNC and Duke are indeed better academic institutions than MU. Both are top 30 school in the US, MU has struggled to get into the top 75, both have FAR higher admission standards, bigger endowments and more highly accredited faculty.

I loved my time at MU and got a great education but please folks,to try to insinuate that either school might not be as good as MU academically is pure folly and hubris.

Warrior Forever

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 12:42:27 PM »
"Duke and UNC are both in the ACC, both put tons of kids in the NBA (more than MU) and are both top notch universities, some would argue they are even better than MU."

As an MU grad I have to ask, "some" would argue that they are even better than MU?"  Maybe this was intended to be intentional understatement but with a son who is about to graduate from UNC, I can tell you that both UNC and Duke are indeed better academic institutions than MU. Both are top 30 school in the US, MU has struggled to get into the top 75, both have FAR higher admission standards, bigger endowments and more highly accredited faculty.

I loved my time at MU and got a great education but please folks,to try to insinuate that either school might not be as good as MU academically is pure folly and hubris.

To try and compare Marquette and North Carolina is "pure folly."  One is a private school with limited resources.  The other eats at the taxpayers' trough.  As for Duke, there is no question it is a better academic institution.

Having said that, I, too, loved my Marquette education and wouldn't trade it for the world.

PS - Speaking of Duke, did the MU powers that be ever consider a Midwesterner
like Chris Collins?  Just wondering.

Go Warriors.

feedback