Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So much for IU's tough self-imposed sanctions  (Read 12724 times)

sa87

• Walk-On
Re: So much for IU's tough self-imposed sanctions
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
Boy Penn State is not a team player - do they think they are too good to cheat?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 05:06:59 PM »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 06:10:33 PM »
I bet they're going to reinstate the removed 1 scholly when the grad rate punishment gets doled out.

The IU A.D. will state that it wasn't Crean's fault and that, "It's Sampson's. It's Sampson's."
SS Marquette

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2008, 09:38:23 PM »
Someone said the sanctions were really against Sampson and his tenure, not the program.  I don't know one way or another - but it still smells funny to me.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 07:14:55 AM »
More good news from the Big Ten, badgerboy: New York Daily News reports that Michigan WR  Manningham scored a 6 (out of 50) on the Wonderlic. That's still better than Ron Dayne. What a conference! Academically and ethically it's an absolute travesty.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 03:36:36 PM »
Saying that a couple athletes represent poor academics in the institution as a whole is ridiculous. Michigan is one of the top schools in the country. I know this board is very anti bigten but come on. We all know athletes are not generally representative of the quality od the academic insitution. I'm sure you can find a lot of low big east wonderlic scores too...

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008, 04:01:29 PM »
Saying that a couple athletes represent poor academics in the institution as a whole is ridiculous. Michigan is one of the top schools in the country. I know this board is very anti bigten but come on. We all know athletes are not generally representative of the quality od the academic insitution. I'm sure you can find a lot of low big east wonderlic scores too...

I preume Ecompt was referring to the academics for the student athletes.  Obviously, most of the Big Ten schools are very good academically.  I do agree, however, with Ecompt's point.  Midwesterns (of which I am one) are usually quite sanctimonious when it comes to student athletes versus other regions/conferences.  The truth of the matter is the Big Ten has had a tremendous amout of NCAA infractions/sanctions.

Hmm, sanctimonious ... sanctions.  Perhaps there should be a new term:  sanctionmonious!   :P

I am sure someone could bring down the numbers, but you can't tell me that the ACC, PAC-10, and Big East have the number of institutions in trouble like the Big Ten has.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2008, 05:03:08 PM »
I was going on probations, arrests, etc. UW (free shoes, no discipline of student-athletes), Michigan (Fab Five, etc.), Ohio State (phony classes, etc.), Indiana (phone calls), Northwestern (garnbling)...yes, sir, it's quite a league.

Hey, don't forget Penn State!  Here is a recent quote from Stewart Mandel:

"While there are no official NCAA statistics in this category, according to the Centre Daily Times, more than 60 Nittany Lions players have broken the law since 2002. That bears repeating. Sixty. A little more than a year ago, six players were charged with felonies following an incident in which safety Anthony Scirrotto essentially rounded up a posse to confront several men at an apartment party, where all hell broke loose (Scirrotto later pled guilty to defiant trespass). More recently, a since-dismissed player, Chris Bell, allegedly pulled a knife on a teammate."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 12:19:52 PM »
Hey, don't forget Penn State!  Here is a recent quote from Stewart Mandel:

"While there are no official NCAA statistics in this category, according to the Centre Daily Times, more than 60 Nittany Lions players have broken the law since 2002. That bears repeating. Sixty. A little more than a year ago, six players were charged with felonies following an incident in which safety Anthony Scirrotto essentially rounded up a posse to confront several men at an apartment party, where all hell broke loose (Scirrotto later pled guilty to defiant trespass). More recently, a since-dismissed player, Chris Bell, allegedly pulled a knife on a teammate."

I'll bet Wisconsin-Madison is damn close....my buddy was going to start a website called the BadgerBlotter it was so bad.  And he's a BADGER ALUM.  He was so disgusted by the constant arrests, beatings, etc that he was determined to put it up.  I think Barry sent someone to his house threatening to break his kneecaps if he did.   ;)

LON

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 12:33:59 PM »
I think he just sent Booker Stanley after him...anyone remember those pictures, it looks like he tried to deliver a baby in an elevator he had so much blood on him

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 12:44:58 PM »
I think he just sent Booker Stanley after him...anyone remember those pictures, it looks like he tried to deliver a baby in an elevator he had so much blood on him

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 01:42:55 PM »
Living in the middle of Hoosier Nation, you'd be surprised how many people are upset with this new development.  The majority think Greenspan should be sent packing immediately and all self imposed sanctions should remain until after the NCAA meeting.  They're discussed with how poor the University's oversight was, regardless of how the coach was - the university was responsible, not just the coach.

But everyone still likes Crean.