'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] MU hires two assistants  (Read 1446 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] MU hires two assistants
« on: April 24, 2008, 01:45:04 PM »
MU hires two assistants

Written by: Todd Rosiak

After a lengthy search process, Buzz Williams now has filled two of the three spots on his coaching staff.

Tony Benford, a Division I veteran who spent the last two seasons at Nebraska, and Aki Collins, a native New Yorker who spent the past two seasons at Fairfield, have been hired. Collins arrives in town early this afternoon and Benford later in the evening, and both are expected to jump right into their new positions.

"Real excited to have both of them here," said Williams. "I think that they're both dominant pieces in regards to the future of our program, but I don't think I won't say the same thing about anybody else that I will hire."

Benford, 44, has 16 seasons of Division I experience as an assistant. Prior to his stint at Nebraska he spent eight seasons at Arizona State, including the last two as an associate head coach, and six seasons at New Mexico.

A fourth-round pick of the Boston Celtics in 1986, Benford has known Williams since Williams first broke into the coaching business.

"He was already a full-time assistant at New Mexico when I started at UT-Arlington," Williams said. "Since the BCS has been formed he's been in a BCS league the entire time. Has great relationships in the Midwest. His next move will be as a head coach -- that's my opinion."

Williams also said Benford has been able to develop a number of recruiting contacts throughout the Midwest.

Collins, 36, has 10 seasons of Division I experience as an assistant. Prior to his stint at Fairfield he spent three seasons at Marshall, three seasons at Howard and two at Colorado.

A native of Brooklyn, N.Y., Collins' recruiting ties to the East Coast played a role in his addition to Williams' staff.

"I think it's important we have a presence where we play," said Williams. "I think any coach will tell you that, that it's important to be able to recruit where you play. Obviously he's from New York, went to high school in New York, has great relationships up and down the East Coast, and he will be able to help us continue to recruit where we play. He has great relationships with coaches in the East, in the Mid-Atlantic area."

Williams now has one spot on his staff left to fill.

"I think that as you put together a staff, it's like recruiting, putting your team together," he said. "I did not make a move with Aki or Tony until I had complete peace that they were exactly what we needed, where we needed and how we needed. I'm going to hire the other coach --  it could be today, it could be next week, it could be 10 days from now - when I have complete peace that they are the absolute right piece to the puzzle in regards to making sure we have the best staff in the country.

"I'm not going to rush to do that."

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/04/24/mu-hires-two-assistants.aspx

thatman32

• Starter
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] MU hires two assistants
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:48:08 PM »
Todd:
Are any of these guys X and O's guys?  Thanks

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 02:03:53 PM »
Somehow I don't think Todd is going to answer.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 02:09:51 PM »
I was thinking the same thing... ;)

feedback