Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tom Izzo to Chicago Bulls?  (Read 12778 times)

Marquette Mama

• Scholarship Player
Tom Izzo to Chicago Bulls?
« on: April 23, 2008, 06:50:11 AM »
This is a hot rumor on local (I am in Detroit area) broadcast stations this a.m.  Also reported on Yahoo sports. While Carlisle is still considered front-runner for Bulls job, Izzo candidacy is picking up steam.Did Crean bolt a month too early?

TVDirector

• All American
Re: Tom Izzo to Chicago Bulls?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 06:53:35 AM »
cool...
this would be an interesting development-  what would Crean do if all of a sudden his supposed dream job was open and ripe for the picking????
opens up some interesting conversations regarding current MSU assistants as well.

hmmmmm.

come on, izzy.. take the plunge!

:-\

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 07:16:02 AM »
I no longer fear this event.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 07:18:18 AM »
cool...
this would be an interesting development-  what would Crean do if all of a sudden his supposed dream job was open and ripe for the picking????
opens up some interesting conversations regarding current MSU assistants as well.

hmmmmm.

come on, izzy.. take the plunge!

:-\

There is no way Crean can leave Indiana for Michigan State for at least five years, unless Indiana doesn't want him anymore.  And if that is the case, I doubt Michigan State would want him either.  If Izzo does leave, the best TC can hope for is that Izzo's replacement does a lukewarm-poor job and the job becomes available again in 5-6 years.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 07:27:55 AM »
It's Michigan State....It's Michigan State...

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it.  He would have to come up with another B.S. line for that one. 

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 08:08:56 AM »
How about remembering the first time he watched a basketball game and seeing a young Michigan State player by the name of Ervin Johnson take over a game. As we all know, it wasn't until then that he really started to take an interest in NCAA basketball.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 08:09:12 AM »
It's Michigan State....It's Michigan State...

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it.  He would have to come up with another B.S. line for that one. 

Come join new Spartans coach for "Crean and Green" at an all you can eat salad bar. 
Ludum habemus.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 08:14:52 AM »
I would laugh if MSU and Crean ponied up the IU buyout, making him officially untrustworthy to the entire world AND Nick Williams would be stuck in another LOI w/o Crean.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 08:57:18 AM »
I'd love to see Too Tan Tommy, aka T-Cubed, bolt back "home" where the heart is. Then again MSU probably doesn't want the m'fer.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 09:24:41 AM »
This would be every MU fans dream.  And as a Bulls fan, I'd like to see it from that perspective as well.

If it occurs, I can't imagine Crean would bolt IU.  Particularly since he's already singed several recruits there.  Then again, I have some sense of shame and that may not apply to the Tan one.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 09:37:21 AM »
OH TC has sined recruits and bolted in the night before.  But actually, I don't think MSU would want him.  There was something a few months back I thought that indicated he was not the heir-apparent to Izzo in Izzo's eyes, wasn't there?  Nonetheless, TC might be thinking, "dang it - it's Michigan State, it's Michigan State!"

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 10:43:45 AM »
As a Bulls fan, this hire needs to happen.  I mean, first, it would totally screw over Crean, which is just too hilarious to contemplate.  Second, Izzo is a very good coach and would do wonders for the Bulls, who have been completely inept both on and off the court since '97; the organization needs an enema.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 10:49:08 AM »
OH TC has sined recruits and bolted in the night before.  But actually, I don't think MSU would want him.  There was something a few months back I thought that indicated he was not the heir-apparent to Izzo in Izzo's eyes, wasn't there?  Nonetheless, TC might be thinking, "dang it - it's Michigan State, it's Michigan State!"

Right.  TC is not as close to Izzo as everyone thinks.  Izzo supposedly wants Brian Gregory to be his replacement, and there were mentions of other former assistants that he had above Crean as well.  Some writer claim that was why Crean took the IU job.  He knew it was his only shot to get in the Big 10 since it is well known in the MSU family that he is not choice #1 when Izzo retires/leaves.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 10:59:55 AM »
Interesting if true. Doesn't the Big 10 have a rule that a coach can't move directly from one Big 10 job to another without more or less sitting out a year? Thought I heard that somewhere.

I think Gregory would be the choice at MSU, and perhaps this would explain the reported lack of interest in MU.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 11:07:29 AM »
Ahahahahaha karmas a b!tch, isnt it Tommy!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 11:12:23 AM »
Ok, so I talked to my Bulls guy (only one left from when I worked there) and he said there are talks going on through third parties between the Bulls and Izzo. He thinks it would be in the $4-$5 mil range, with some additional title included (besides head coach) if it's formally offered. He said if it happens, it will happen very quickly by the end of this week.

The Bulls also reached out to Coach K, but there isn't much interest there (or so I'm told).

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 11:13:48 AM »
this would be tremendous. Let's see how fast the weasel tries to get out of his IU contract.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 11:17:52 AM »
On one hand, I think it would be funny to see TC watch his dream job open up, after waiting patiently for 9 years, and there being nothing he can really do about it.  On the other hand, we all know Crean will get Izzowned by Michigan State if Izzo is coaching them.  If Izzo leaves, we can laugh right away.  If he stays, we get a little bit of laughing in, possibly for years to come.  Tough choice.

muchalktalk

• Walk-On
Is it Possible?
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 11:36:05 AM »
Is it possible that the Bulls approached Izzo a little while ago, knowing it was only a matter of time before they got rid of their coach?  Maybe this is why Crean didn't mind going to the Big Ten, even though he would have to face an Izzo-coached team?  Maybe Crean decided he didn't want to follow in the long shadow that Izzo created, since he know has a chance to create his own in Indiana.

You guys need to get over Crean.  I am as disappointed as anyone else in the way he left.  However, people leave for perceived better jobs all of the time.  By trying to run him down, it does a great disservice to what he accomplished here in his time.  By trying to make him out to be so slimy, I imagine outsiders could get the idea that our players, by association, must be slimy, as they were happy playing for him.  Okay, I will guess they were happy playing for him, or they wouldn't have felt so bad about him leaving (many comments here about players hanging their heads).  I guess to an outsider the institution must have been slimy, since it let the slimy guy coach here for so long.

I guess I am just feed-up with all the name-calling.  First, it just makes us, the institution and the fans, look bad.  Second, I know the Jesuit values I was taught while at MU didn't include smear-campaigns, like I am reading here.

mugoose

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 11:51:04 AM »
I love Izzo, but would think it is great if the MSU spot would open up. Crean would be crushed. What a d-bag.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 12:07:05 PM »
How about remembering the first time he watched a basketball game and seeing a young Michigan State player by the name of Ervin Johnson take over a game. As we all know, it wasn't until then that he really started to take an interest in NCAA basketball.

Ervin Johnson played at the University of New Orleans. Earvin "Magic" Johnson was at Michigan State.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 12:37:31 PM »
This would be a great move from a comedy standpoint regarding TC.

As for Izzo leaving to the NBA, though, I think it would be a huge mistake on his part. I understand the "ego" and "challenge" part of the job, but Izzo's style would not transfer over to the NBA players. No way. They don't care as much about winning and won't stand to be yelled at constantly. Even as great as he is from an x's and o's standpoint, he'd wear out his welcome to the players within two years tops.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 12:44:14 PM »
I actually think it'd be a good move by Izzo. He's 53, and job opportunities like this aren't going to be available to him too much longer. He's actually well respected in the Association (for a college coach) and he fits in perfectly to Paxson's philosophy. He'd double his salary, get summer's off (which he's now itching for), and from what I'm told, he's looking to get an additional title (outside of head coach), so he can fall back on that should things not work out. With the right group of assistants in place, I think he'd do well.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 01:49:47 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Judas discussed his move to IU with Izzo and convinced himself that he wasn't in line to be the next coach at MSU, so an opening now at MSU wouldn't be the crushingly ironic blow to Judas that we are all hoping for.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 02:27:54 PM »
this would be schadenfreude in its finest form

feedback