Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crean offers Maurice Sutton 6'10 from Maryland  (Read 3245 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Crean offers Maurice Sutton 6'10 from Maryland
« on: April 22, 2008, 07:23:38 PM »
That will make some of you thrilled since he was recruiting Sutton for a long time.

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=1938

jficke13

• All American
Re: Crean offers Maurice Sutton 6'10 from Maryland
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 07:38:38 PM »
Judas couldn't coach a big man out of a wet paper bag. The only good big man he ever had came to him good (Robert Jackson). Some coaches can take raw big men and develop some talent out of it... Judas is not one of them. If that guy signs w/ him it's the end of his career.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 07:57:33 PM »
I agree-----I saw R JAx the summer before his final season in the old gym----he was in there with a few of the locals----he was finished product at that time----could go right or left off the postup. Crean helped him with his attitude-----but teaching him the "tricks of the trade"----no way!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »
I agree-----I saw R JAx the summer before his final season in the old gym----he was in there with a few of the locals----he was finished product at that time----could go right or left off the postup. Crean helped him with his attitude-----but teaching him the "tricks of the trade"----no way!

I don't think Estill agrees.   ;)

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 08:45:41 PM »
Estill is an idiot.  Good thing your still definding TC.  Its a good thing your check won't bounce anytime soon.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 08:57:44 PM »
Wow...TC's a punk. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 10:09:27 PM »
Estil ran his mouth and got what he deserved, facewashed by Dwade and manhandled by mJax. mJax had all the physical tools and technique when he got here. he just had a sweet situation w/ Wade and company opening it up for him.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 10:41:29 PM »
Estill is an idiot.  Good thing your still definding TC.  Its a good thing your check won't bounce anytime soon.

Too funny.   Actually the response that he didn't improve was kind of funny.  Jackson left Mississippi State with a career average of 9.5 points per game, including 11.3 his junior year.

His senior year at Marquette he averaged 15.4 points per game.  He had almost as many assists his Senior year then his first three years combined.  He had 507 rebounds in 3 years at MSU, then his senior year at MU had 249 in one season.  Shot 78% from the free throw line his senior year, the best he did in the first three years was 69%. 

At some point I expect some facts to come into some of these discussions.  To suggest honestly that Jackson didn't improve from his 3 years at MSU to his senior year at Marquette is one of the funniest things I've read.  Especially based on viewing one practice, wasn't this the same mistake that led to Dime a Dozen point guard?   ::)

Did he benefit from having Wade and Diener...you bet he did.  But to suggest he didn't get any better, please.  Just silly, absolutely silly.

http://www.nba.com/draft2003/profiles/JacksonRobert.html

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 11:43:12 PM »
Judas' coaching had much less to do with Jackson's improvement than did the benefit of having Merritt beside him with Wade and Diener opening up defenses

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 11:51:32 PM »
Judas' coaching had much less to do with Jackson's improvement than did the benefit of having Merritt beside him with Wade and Diener opening up defenses

Fair enough, I guess Judas' recruiting then helped since he got Merritt, Wade, and Diener to come to MU and play alongside Jax.   ;)

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 06:49:10 AM »
Chicos -- of course he improved. But one of the biggest reasons his numbers improved is that he was 24 years old playing against guys much younger. I believe its a philosophy of Crean's to get guys who will have a year or two advantage by the time they're seniors. Townsend, Diener, Hayward, etc. All had at least a year on their "class."

I know he was a transfer, but Jackson was a prime example of having this built-in advantage.

Also, Robert Jackson was a PERFECT example of why it was so easy to figure out what an a-hole Crean has always been. He walked around that entire season claiming Jackson could not make a layup until he arrived at Marquette. I am quoting almost literally. It was all Crean and never Jackson, despite the fact that the guy was all conference before he arrived.

I am not sure what your point is about lauding Crean on his way out the door. I understand that his wife said "hello" to you and your wife at the NCAA. That's fine. The fact is, he's gone and many of us are THRILLED.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 08:55:28 AM »
Chicos -- of course he improved. But one of the biggest reasons his numbers improved is that he was 24 years old playing against guys much younger. I believe its a philosophy of Crean's to get guys who will have a year or two advantage by the time they're seniors. Townsend, Diener, Hayward, etc. All had at least a year on their "class."

I know he was a transfer, but Jackson was a prime example of having this built-in advantage.

Also, Robert Jackson was a PERFECT example of why it was so easy to figure out what an a-hole Crean has always been. He walked around that entire season claiming Jackson could not make a layup until he arrived at Marquette. I am quoting almost literally. It was all Crean and never Jackson, despite the fact that the guy was all conference before he arrived.

I am not sure what your point is about lauding Crean on his way out the door. I understand that his wife said "hello" to you and your wife at the NCAA. That's fine. The fact is, he's gone and many of us are THRILLED.

Pure awesome.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 08:58:04 AM »
I believe Chicos is an IU alum as well.  He is conflicted. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 09:02:38 AM »
To quote Charles Barkley, Too Tan Tommy (T-Cubed) can "kiss me where the sun don't shine."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 09:34:13 AM »
Not conflicted....just think revisionist history is silly.  Saying a guy didn't improve who clearly did, is just silly.

As for being thrilled, depends how the next guy does....I'm sorry, but if we end up being DePaul or Seton Hall, I will not be thrilled and I honestly don't think you will be either.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 09:36:03 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 09:45:50 AM »
I'm thrilled regardless. You always want to get rid of the cockroaches from the kitchen no matter how tasty you think the food is.
In this case some posters thought they were dining at the Ritz, when in fact we were being served food from Ponderosa.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 03:56:54 PM »
How about all threads about TC as they relate to what he's up to at Indiana go to the Superbar? Enough is enough. Let's put him behind us.
We Are Marquette

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 04:26:10 PM »
How about all threads about TC as they relate to what he's up to at Indiana go to the Superbar? Enough is enough. Let's put him behind us.

+1
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 04:36:36 PM »
+1.

Unless it relates to poaching an MU recruit.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.