Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] What does the potential NCAA settlement mean for MU? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[May 22, 2024, 09:36:22 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 22, 2024, 07:26:16 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by rocky_warrior
[May 22, 2024, 06:25:06 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by BCHoopster
[May 22, 2024, 06:19:00 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by tower912
[May 22, 2024, 01:36:06 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Catching up with the program  (Read 4752 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Catching up with the program
« on: April 21, 2008, 07:00:04 AM »
Catching up with the program

Written by: NY Warrior

After the remarkable pace of news out of the Marquette program for most of last week, things slowed down just a bit - - - but here are few nuggets from the past several days to get you caught up.

Per this article from the Tyler Morning Telegraph, Buzz Williams hired Scott Monarch as his first assistant coach.  Monarch, who until recently was an assistant at Tyler JC where he coached MU commits Joseph Fulce and Jimmy Butler, previously served on Williams' staff at the University of New Orleans.

In addition to Marquette, Tyshawn Taylor is now considering five other universities.  Adam Zagoria has the list.  It is unclear how interested Taylor remains in MU -- but the truth is, with only role players (Cubillan, Acker) in the program to replace the Three Amigos, MU desperately needs a top notch point guard.  John Dodds lays out the case in this thread.

Luka Mirkovic, a 6'11" center from Indiana, announced his intention to sign with Northwestern over Louisville and Marquette.

MUScoop puts fans in the Way Back Marchine for an interview with coach Al McGuire.  Great find, MUScoop.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2008/04/catching-up-with-program.html

bilsu

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Catching up with the program
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 07:16:33 AM »
I was surpised by the fact that Culliban had shoulder surgury. I did not know he was hurt,. This may explain why he could not hit a three at the end of the season.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 07:38:10 AM »
darn...cudda used Luka.  At least Louisville didn't land him.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 07:41:59 AM »
Catching up with the program

Written by: NY Warrior

Per this article from the Tyler Morning Telegraph, Buzz Williams hired Scott Monarch as his first assistant coach.  

"TJC assistant coach Scott Monarch will be joining the Golden Eagles staff under new head coach Buzz Williams. The two coaches were together one season at the University of New Orleans (2006-07). "

It just says that he will be joining the staff, it did not say under what position. I expect him to be the Director of Baskeball Operations.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 07:42:33 AM »
Why do we need another big stiff slow white guy?

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 07:56:32 AM »

Well, if Louisville was after him, he probably wasn't all that stiff.  Might have been a Padgett-type dude.  Plus the guy's Serbian...I don't wanna be the guy Jay Bilas rips on next, but those Serbian white guys can ball.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 08:02:56 AM »
It just says that he will be joining the staff, it did not say under what position. I expect him to be the Director of Baskeball Operations.

Fair point......lets see what happens

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 09:11:42 AM »

I don't know much about him.

Can you tell us where you saw him play and what kind of game he has?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 09:24:13 AM »
I don't know much about him.

Can you tell us where you saw him play and what kind of game he has?

He's a two-star non-rated center.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 09:39:31 AM »
He's a two-star non-rated center.

So, you've never seen him play?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 09:50:06 AM »
So, you've never seen him play?

probably not, but people who do it for a living and make money from scouting have, and they give him two stars, and say he is not ranked.

argument for argument's sake?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 10:20:26 AM »
Yes I have not seen him play.  But thanks for your belief that If I actually saw one or two games from 75 feet away I would be able to tell you how he would fit in MU's program.

As the previous noted, the "experts" have him rated two-stars and he is a "non-rated" center.  That means he's not among the top 100.  The only reason people think he's worth anything is because Louisville offered him.  Do we know why?  Maybe Pitino wanted him for the practice squad.  So don't assume he's the next Padgett.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 10:38:53 AM »
Yes I have not seen him play.  But thanks for your belief that If I actually saw one or two games from 75 feet away I would be able to tell you how he would fit in MU's program.

As the previous noted, the "experts" have him rated two-stars and he is a "non-rated" center.  That means he's not among the top 100.  The only reason people think he's worth anything is because Louisville offered him.  Do we know why?  Maybe Pitino wanted him for the practice squad.  So don't assume he's the next Padgett.

To comment on any player being slow and stiff when you've never seen them seems pretty ridiculous to me. Was just asking if you gathered that from watching Mirkovic play or if you made it up.

And, for the guy above about scouts making their money from rating players, the reports on Davidson's Stephen Curry were that he was too slight and not strong enough to make an impact at a high level. Maybe they were docked a paycheck for that gem.  ;)

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 10:50:39 AM »
Water over the dam.  Let's move on to recruits still available.  Most pressing need will be a great point guard after this year and another big.  DJ set the bar pretty high in regards to PG.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 11:00:52 AM »
we don't know if we have our 'first' big, much less needing another.  Until Otule shows how he can play, we know that we have a project.  Luka would have been a nice luxury to have.  His size alone would have been novel for us, and his commit to Northwestern tells me he is intelligent enough to look beyond bball.  Two stars and unrated?  sounds like Chris Otule to me.

As far as "big, white, stiffs" go, I say "bring 'em on!"

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 12:04:45 PM »

Guys, Mirkovic came over from Serbia late and his recruitment got a very late start.  I wouldn't take the 2 stars as meaning anything.  He had real interest from Marquette, Louisville and DePaul.  Ultimately, the interest probably dried up for various reasons and he went with Northwestern.  I wouldn't take the 2 stars thing as meaning anything, though, as Mirkovic wasn't seen on the national circuit last summer.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 12:18:08 PM »
Water over the dam.  Let's move on to recruits still available.  Most pressing need will be a great point guard after this year and another big.  DJ set the bar pretty high in regards to PG.

I'd like to think Diener set the bar before DJ. DJ's unique but hasn't been that much of a PG that Diener was...then if you go WAAAAAY back, Butch Lee.
SS Marquette

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 12:43:54 PM »
I'd like to think Diener set the bar before DJ. DJ's unique but hasn't been that much of a PG that Diener was...then if you go WAAAAAY back, Butch Lee.

I think Tony Miller started the recent trend of excellent PG's at Marquette after things dried up in the late 80's.

Tony Miller, Aaron Hutchins, Cordell Henry then Travis Deiner are about as good as you can hope for.

The 70's teams had some outstanding gaurds too, so I agree this isn't just a recent trend starting with Dominic James.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 12:49:35 PM by lurch91 »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 12:46:28 PM »
I think Tony Miller started the recent trend of excellent PG's at Marquette after things dried up in the late 80's.

Tony Miller, Aaron Hutchins, Cordell Henry then Travis Deiner are about as good as you can hope for.

The 70's teams had soem outstanding gaurds too, so I agree this isn't just a recent trend starting with Dominic James.

I liked Hutch but he wasn't a true PG, more of a PG/SG. Henry was a gritty PG but nowhere near Diener's impact. Miller was a true PG as well...but couldn't really score (or buy a three).

DJ continues the string of quality PGs.

Taylor's name should be there as well.
SS Marquette

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 12:49:26 PM »
Is taylor a PG?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 12:57:42 PM »

To comment on any player being slow and stiff when you've never seen them seems pretty ridiculous to me. Was just asking if you gathered that from watching Mirkovic play or if you made it up.

And, for the guy above about scouts making their money from rating players, the reports on Davidson's Stephen Curry were that he was too slight and not strong enough to make an impact at a high level. Maybe they were docked a paycheck for that gem.  ;)

You're right, they aren't allowed to make mistakes, and this guy is just like Curry... You're right!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 01:01:30 PM »

I repeat, I don't need to see him, the "experts" say he's slow and stiff.  Ok, they got Curry wrong.  But they also got about 2 billion right.

Think Greg Clausen.  Do we really him on next year's team?

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 01:59:58 PM »
I am not saying Marquette has not had a number of great point guards. I am only saying that the new PG will be compared to DJ in regards if there is a drop off at the position.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 02:10:20 PM »
I repeat, I don't need to see him, the "experts" say he's slow and stiff.  Ok, they got Curry wrong.  But they also got about 2 billion right.

Think Greg Clausen.  Do we really him on next year's team?

Actually, Mirkovic is more like a Novak/Fitzgerald type (long range bomber) with some posts moves to boot... not Clausen.  I'm not saying he's the next Novak, but he's that sort of player.  Would presumably be a good fit for the 4 out, 1 in motion that Buzz supposedly runs.  That said, it might be that Buzz thought he could do better than Mirkovic.

feedback