[Today at 12:07:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461499 times)

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: The Offical Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #925 on: August 29, 2008, 06:09:25 PM »
Over the cubs current winning streak the bull pen's era has been 1.4.  Opposing era's have been over 11.   Solid.  We are now leading the majors in come from behind victories.*

*actually tied for the Yankees.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #926 on: August 29, 2008, 08:02:48 PM »
Over the cubs current winning streak the bull pen's era has been 1.4.  Opposing era's have been over 11.   Solid.  We are now leading the majors in come from behind victories.*

*actually tied for the Yankees.
Nice man!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #927 on: August 29, 2008, 08:05:41 PM »
You asked for it:

http://www.portfolio.com/interactive-features/2008/05/Foul-Ballpark
?

I don't see any rankings whatsoever on this site.  They're showing that they've found dirty things in ballparks, not ranking ballparks.  You'll find dirty things in EVERY ballpark.

Valiant effort on finding a ranking of ballparks that doesn't have Miller Park above Wrigley Field, though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #928 on: August 30, 2008, 09:27:49 AM »
I was just at Lucas Oil Stadium for a business trip...awesome place esp. when you have an all access pass during the game!!!

However, I will side with PTM here, I do like my baseball outside.  A little rain never hurt anybody.  And if it gets rained out, they play a double header.  Double headers use to be a scheduled thing once a year i believe.  LETS PLAY 2!!

Baseball was meant to be played outside!!!

so was football.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #929 on: August 30, 2008, 10:12:59 AM »
I was just at Lucas Oil Stadium for a business trip...awesome place esp. when you have an all access pass during the game!!!

However, I will side with PTM here, I do like my baseball outside.  A little rain never hurt anybody.  And if it gets rained out, they play a double header.  Double headers use to be a scheduled thing once a year i believe.  LETS PLAY 2!!

Baseball was meant to be played outside!!!

so was football.
I agree, baseball was meant to be outside, I would PREFER it to be played outside, and rain never hurt anybody, but I'd also PREFER to have that option to close up the roof if there is a possibility of a weather-related delay/cancellation.  I would also prefer it if it is snowing on Opening Day (or any other time of the year)...I'm not a fan of going to a baseball game in football weather, baseball's a summer sport.  I don't MIND watching it in the cold, but I'd rather watch it under a roof that keeps it 65 degrees then watch it in 25 degree weather.  That is why the roof is huge, because I like it when it is played with the roof open/outside, but I also like the possibility of closing the roof.  I love doubleheaders, but what happens when the last meeting between 2 teams in the year gets rained out and at least 1 of them has another series starting the next day?  It becomes a hassle.  And as a fan, what if the game that got rained out is reschedule on a day that you have other commitments and can't make the game?  Then it's a little bit disappointing.  I'm not saying I want a dome...I'd be disappointed if Miller Park was strictly a dome...I think the retractable roof is the perfect idea for baseball (even if it does make sounds/take some time to close).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 10:15:12 AM by wadesworld »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #930 on: August 30, 2008, 10:34:07 AM »
I now officially HATE Harly Davidsons.  This damn parade sounds like there are a million Cubs fans running down Wisconsin Avenue, talking out of the butt about how good their sports teams are and how terrible Milwaukee is, with no basis for their arguments at all!  They're all just making loud noises!

(Calm down, it's just a joke...except the part about officially hating Harly Davidsons).

🏀

• All American
« Reply #931 on: August 30, 2008, 01:07:50 PM »
I now officially HATE Harly Davidsons.  This damn parade sounds like there are a million Cubs fans running down Wisconsin Avenue, talking out of the butt about how good their sports teams are and how terrible Milwaukee is, with no basis for their arguments at all!  They're all just making loud noises!

(Calm down, it's just a joke...except the part about officially hating Harly Davidsons).

The anniversary was much worse.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #932 on: August 30, 2008, 01:27:21 PM »
The anniversary was much worse.
Yeah I remember that, I wasn't living down here (wasn't in college at the time), but I remember coming down here to watch some of it.  There were just 2 lines at all times for this parade, and back then it was just PACKED throughout the whole street for that one.

JSwarriors08

« Reply #933 on: August 31, 2008, 08:53:47 PM »
So, talk about this thread going to Hell in a handbasket...

You guys sound like a bunch of babies.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #934 on: August 31, 2008, 08:57:56 PM »
Another sweep heading into a 4 game home series against philli.  We'll have the pitching advantage all 4 games.
Another dominating series by the Brewers this weekend.  The combined scores for our sweep was 21-4.  We outhit them 33-15.  4 homeruns in a 3 game series isn't normally great, but in that park it is, being 385 feet to just towards center of the corners.  We continue to see that CC Sabathia is the most dominating pitcher in the MLB since coming to Milwaukee, as he should have had a no hitter today (the Pirate's only hit was clearly an error).  That makes him 9-0 with SIX complete games in 11 outings with the Brewers, with an ERA of under 1.50.  Good to see that we have made up a half game since the terrible showing in the Cubs series rather than fold and fallen further behind.  Also good to see a 20-7 August, the month that last year we went 9-18 in, falling out of the division lead.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #935 on: August 31, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
Another dominating series by the Brewers this weekend.  The combined scores for our sweep was 21-4.  We outhit them 33-15.  4 homeruns in a 3 game series isn't normally great, but in that park it is, being 385 feet to just towards center of the corners.  We continue to see that CC Sabathia is the most dominating pitcher in the MLB since coming to Milwaukee, as he should have had a no hitter today (the Pirate's only hit was clearly an error).  That makes him 9-0 with SIX complete games in 11 outings with the Brewers, with an ERA of under 1.50.  Good to see that we have made up a half game since the terrible showing in the Cubs series rather than fold and fallen further behind.  Also good to see a 20-7 August, the month that last year we went 9-18 in, falling out of the division lead.

you know all this does was jinx the Brewers... we were quiet when the Brewers caught up to the Cubs, started talking, and then the Cubs swept us... then we went dormant,  and the Brewers started catching again.  Fantastic.  ;D way to go.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #936 on: August 31, 2008, 10:57:59 PM »
Another dominating series by the Brewers this weekend.  The combined scores for our sweep was 21-4.  We outhit them 33-15.  4 homeruns in a 3 game series isn't normally great, but in that park it is, being 385 feet to just towards center of the corners.  We continue to see that CC Sabathia is the most dominating pitcher in the MLB since coming to Milwaukee, as he should have had a no hitter today (the Pirate's only hit was clearly an error).  That makes him 9-0 with SIX complete games in 11 outings with the Brewers, with an ERA of under 1.50.  Good to see that we have made up a half game since the terrible showing in the Cubs series rather than fold and fallen further behind.  Also good to see a 20-7 August, the month that last year we went 9-18 in, falling out of the division lead.

Speaking of CC pitching another complete game... what was the point? I don't understand why Yost trotted him back out there, he has logged so many innings this year (its around 220 now) why throw him out there for another one when you have a 7 run lead? Granted he had a 1 hitter going but still, he threw over 100 pitches already at that point and had already lost the no hitter so why put the strain of another inning on his arm? It just doesn't make sense, this is the 2nd time that I can remember that this has happened in the last couple CC starts, the last time he ended up with 130 pitches!

Now I am a Cubs fan but I would most certainly say the same thing if Pinella went parading Harden, Dempster, Zambrano, Lilly etc out the for another inning with a sizeable lead in the 9th, it just doesn't make sense to put the added strain on the arm. Now I understand that CC is not in the Brewers future but it really is not fair to him to put his career at risk. As a Cubs fan Ive seen injuries as a result of overuse (Read Wood and Prior) and I just don't see the point in having him finish the game. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, Ive talked to MULTIPLE Brewer fans who feel the same way, they just hope it doesn't affect his stuff come October. I just wanted to throw this out there and see other peoples opinions.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #937 on: August 31, 2008, 11:21:32 PM »
Speaking of CC pitching another complete game... what was the point? I don't understand why Yost trotted him back out there, he has logged so many innings this year (its around 220 now) why throw him out there for another one when you have a 7 run lead? Granted he had a 1 hitter going but still, he threw over 100 pitches already at that point and had already lost the no hitter so why put the strain of another inning on his arm? It just doesn't make sense, this is the 2nd time that I can remember that this has happened in the last couple CC starts, the last time he ended up with 130 pitches!

Now I am a Cubs fan but I would most certainly say the same thing if Pinella went parading Harden, Dempster, Zambrano, Lilly etc out the for another inning with a sizeable lead in the 9th, it just doesn't make sense to put the added strain on the arm. Now I understand that CC is not in the Brewers future but it really is not fair to him to put his career at risk. As a Cubs fan Ive seen injuries as a result of overuse (Read Wood and Prior) and I just don't see the point in having him finish the game. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, Ive talked to MULTIPLE Brewer fans who feel the same way, they just hope it doesn't affect his stuff come October. I just wanted to throw this out there and see other peoples opinions.
I would agree except in this instance.  Today he had what is widely believed to be a no hitter, but was screwed by the official scorer.  With only 1 hit given up, and that being a very questionable call, I think you have to send him out for the 9th.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #938 on: September 01, 2008, 12:28:59 AM »
The Brewers are now 39-32 on the road, the best road record in the National League.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #939 on: September 01, 2008, 01:34:01 PM »

u mean that giant home depot in Indy now??

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #940 on: September 01, 2008, 03:52:18 PM »
i would more go with a giant mall with a 100 yrds of grass!

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #941 on: September 01, 2008, 03:55:15 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #942 on: September 01, 2008, 04:51:57 PM »
I haven't seen this in a while!
Cubs are playing really well today too...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #943 on: September 01, 2008, 06:28:47 PM »
Alright prediction time for the rest of the season for Cubs and Brewers:
Brewers
2 at home vs. Mets: 1-1
4 at home vs. Padres: 3-1
3 at home vs. Reds: 3-0
4 away vs. Phillies: 1-3
3 away vs. Cubs: 1-2
3 away vs. Reds: 2-1
3 at home vs. Pirates: 3-0
3 at home vs. Cubs: 2-1

16-9 over the last 25 games for the Brewers...it'll probably end up being more like 14-11 but I think we're much better than the Reds, Pirates, and Padres, so I'd like to see 16-9.

Cubs
2 at home vs. Astros: 1-1 (Zambrano's missing his start tomorrow, correct?  If he's pitching then I'll change it to 2-0)
3 away vs. Reds: 2-1
3 away vs. Cardinals: 1-2
3 away vs. Houston: 2-1
3 at home vs. Milwaukee: 2-1
3 at home vs. Cardinals: 2-1
4 away vs. Mets: 1-3
3 away vs. Brewers: 1-2

12-12 over the last 25 games for the Cubs.  I think it'll probably be 13-11 or even 14-10 but I don't know which game series to change (could be one of many), so I'll stick to 12-12.

This would make the Brewers 96-66 and the Cubs 97-65.  More realistically I think the Cubs will win the division by about 3 games and I think the Brewers will win the Wild Card.

Being at the game today I can't decide if I think the Brewers will actually come and perform in the playoffs or not.  They're truly a completely streaky team when it comes to offense.  It's ridiculous how little of an approach our players (outside of Braun, Hardy, and Hart) go up to the plate with.  We have the most useless outs in the world...SO many strikeouts.  When somebody leads off an inning with a double, he should not be standing on 2nd when the inning is over, and that seems to happen ALL the time with the Brewers.  However, when their offense is hot it's REALLY hot, so the bats could show up and they could make a run in the playoffs.  The thing that could save them in the playoffs if the offense is cold is pitching, and our starters have been lights out since the break (even the bullpen has been for the most part).  So quite honestly I could see us getting to the World Series and losing (I think if we were to play the Red Sox or the Angels we'd get killed in it, if the Rays or White Sox/Twins make it I could see us winning it all but a lot of things would have to go right, and I could see us getting swept by the Mets or Phillies in the first round if we don't show up, so we'll see what happens.  I could see the Cubs doing the same thing, but moreso just that they might catch the wrong team at the wrong time (D-Backs pitching, maybe the Brewers or Phillies/Mets are hot)...they're pretty consistent though.  Should be fun.

Anybody else care to play?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 06:38:22 PM by wadesworld »

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #944 on: September 01, 2008, 08:18:08 PM »
I dont care to play the guessing game when it comes to records, but i would like to know your thoughts on what is worse?

Facing Webb, Haren, Johnson or a phillies/mets offensive that can be really good!

The prob. is both are sketchy.  Look at webb, he has been shelled the past 2 games. 

Also, the phillies and mets have their own probs with offense/bullpens. 

Your thoughts on the tougher series...

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #945 on: September 01, 2008, 08:38:18 PM »
I dont care to play the guessing game when it comes to records, but i would like to know your thoughts on what is worse?

Facing Webb, Haren, Johnson or a phillies/mets offensive that can be really good!

The prob. is both are sketchy.  Look at webb, he has been shelled the past 2 games. 

Also, the phillies and mets have their own probs with offense/bullpens. 

Your thoughts on the tougher series...

I personally think the 3 best teams in the NL are the Cubs Brewers and Cards.  With that said, I think in the Brewers case (since Im a Crew fan), I would rather face the Diamondbacks instead of the Mets and Phillies.  The Brewers can keep up with the Diamondbacks in the pitching/low scoring games.  However I have felt if it got into a slugfest with a Phillies or the Mets, Brewers won't win, their offenses are too good.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #946 on: September 01, 2008, 09:47:03 PM »
I haven't seen the numbers, but have the diamondbacks scored more consistently since getting Dunn?  And if they make the playoffs, will burns be back?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #947 on: September 01, 2008, 10:20:03 PM »
I haven't seen the numbers, but have the diamondbacks scored more consistently since getting Dunn?  And if they make the playoffs, will burns be back?
I don't think their offensive numbers have improved since then, but I'm not positive.  I'm not sure about Byrnes.  Personally I would rather face the Mets/Phillies in a 5 game series because the pitchers that the Diamondbacks would throw out there would be Webb, Haren, Johnson, Webb, and Haren and that is not fun in any way whatsoever, especially considering Johnson is one of the best post-season pitchers of all time.  The Phillies and Mets can both swing hot bats, but both the Brewers (especially recently) and the Cubs have enough starting pitching to minimize that, and both the Mets and Phillies have even worse bullpens than the Brewers have, which is saying something.  Neither of those 2 team's starting pitchers really scare me that much either, and pitching is the key in the playoffs.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #948 on: September 01, 2008, 11:03:16 PM »
A couple of things to remember about Sabathia: He has built his NL record largely against bums. He has not faced the Mets or Phillies yet, and his one start against the Cubs he allowed nine hits in six-plus.
Two, he CAN wear down. Game 5 against Boston in the ALCS last year, with a chance to pitch Cleveland into the Series, he was awful.
Not saying he won't be great in the playoffs, but he's hardly a guarantee. Mets and Phils both pose problems, but if I'm the Brewers (or Cubs) I'd rather face the Mets. Their bullpenb is flat-out awful, a collection of Gagnes.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #949 on: September 02, 2008, 07:38:17 AM »
A couple of things to remember about Sabathia: He has built his NL record largely against bums. He has not faced the Mets or Phillies yet, and his one start against the Cubs he allowed nine hits in six-plus.
Two, he CAN wear down. Game 5 against Boston in the ALCS last year, with a chance to pitch Cleveland into the Series, he was awful.
Not saying he won't be great in the playoffs, but he's hardly a guarantee. Mets and Phils both pose problems, but if I'm the Brewers (or Cubs) I'd rather face the Mets. Their bullpenb is flat-out awful, a collection of Gagnes.

but if they can some how get wagner back...then their bullpen problems seem to be gone instantly!

feedback