collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461367 times)

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: The Offical Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #900 on: August 28, 2008, 11:40:15 PM »
Nice try but i specificly stated that people who went to mu do develop 'superiority' complexes as a result of dealing with baseless insults about their state of origin.  assuming that people commenting on this thread are either mu grads or fans who are probably from wisco the argument doesn't hold water.

And I'm saying the insults aren't baseless. I have many friends from Illinois, but compared to Wisconsinites, they're a$$holes. In fact, I have my a$$hole Cubs fan friends to thank for making me a bigger Brewers fan.

Furthermore, you didn't address my post, the point of which was this: if all of you Cubs fans, as you claim, don't care about the Brewers, then there's no reason for this thread to have gone on as long as it has, and there's no reason for all of you to get so defensive/"superiority" complexed. Face it. You guys hate the Brewers as much as we hate the Cubs. To say otherwise is, frankly, a bald-faced lie.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #901 on: August 29, 2008, 12:18:04 AM »
I created this thread because every post in the Superbar ended up as a Cubs Brewers pissing match.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #902 on: August 29, 2008, 12:33:06 AM »
I don't know why you think you know me but no, I've only been to cubs/brewers games in chicago.  But that is amazing that someone got kicked out of the game in a cubs jersey, i'm sure that doesn't happen to at least one person in a brewers jersey every game.  The guys tipping grills sound like complete pretty boys, i apoligize for their behavior although it couldnt' have been that common of an occurance since this is the first mention of it on this board. 

in an unrelated note i want to apologize to the cubs for turning the channel and not seeing them tie the brewers for most come back wins in the NL today.  I'm not going to say what i turned the tv to as it would be in violation of a new superbar rule.

I apologize.  I thought you had mentioned that a time or two in this thread, but that must have just been ptm who has attended Brewers-Cubs games in Milwaukee.

I also know for a fact someone in a Brewers jersey (or two.. or three...) get kicked out at every single game at Miller Park.  But that wasn't my point.  This was a belligerent drunk man in a Soriano at a BREWERS-GIANTS game in APRIL.  What is his motive for even being in the stadium?  He clearly didn't have any affiliation to either team, and his actions dictate that he really had no interest in watching a good baseball game.  He just wanted to shove it in everyone's face that he was a Cubs fan and cause a bit of trouble.  Classy.

EDIT: I realize I should have been more specific.  This was the Brewers home opener at Miller Park, NOT Opening Day, which clearly was Cubs-Brewers at Wrigley.  Again, I apologize.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #903 on: August 29, 2008, 02:47:06 AM »

And I'm saying the insults aren't baseless. I have many friends from Illinois, but compared to Wisconsinites, they're a$$holes. In fact, I have my a$$hole Cubs fan friends to thank for making me a bigger Brewers fan.

Furthermore, you didn't address my post, the point of which was this: if all of you Cubs fans, as you claim, don't care about the Brewers, then there's no reason for this thread to have gone on as long as it has, and there's no reason for all of you to get so defensive/"superiority" complexed. Face it. You guys hate the Brewers as much as we hate the Cubs. To say otherwise is, frankly, a bald-faced lie.
yeah and illinai fans have made me hate U of IL and MI fans have made me hate MI and x fans have made me hate x more and people who hate y make me like y more, blah blah.

and yes i did address this.  This is a cubs v brewers thread.  It will keep going because the people who read it will continue to post messages.  Please find a place where i indicate i 'hate' the brewers.  seriously go for it.  I really don't.  If our team sucked i would cheer for your team in a second over the cards.
So every cub fan who posts here automatically 'hates' the brewers?  please.

and you have no response to my FIB = you guys have an inferiority complex statement do you?

ps.  wasted =  me right now

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #904 on: August 29, 2008, 02:53:18 AM »
I apologize.  I thought you had mentioned that a time or two in this thread, but that must have just been ptm who has attended Brewers-Cubs games in Milwaukee.

I also know for a fact someone in a Brewers jersey (or two.. or three...) get kicked out at every single game at Miller Park.  But that wasn't my point.  This was a belligerent drunk man in a Soriano at a BREWERS-GIANTS game in APRIL.  What is his motive for even being in the stadium?  He clearly didn't have any affiliation to either team, and his actions dictate that he really had no interest in watching a good baseball game.  He just wanted to shove it in everyone's face that he was a Cubs fan and cause a bit of trouble.  Classy.

EDIT: I realize I should have been more specific.  This was the Brewers home opener at Miller Park, NOT Opening Day, which clearly was Cubs-Brewers at Wrigley.  Again, I apologize.

it's cool i thought from the way you were posting that you might have been a regular here but i guess you are just another newb. ;) 
as for his motives i'm guessing he wanted to get some guy to write posts about him 4 months later.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #905 on: August 29, 2008, 05:43:59 AM »
I created this thread because every post in the Superbar ended up as a Cubs Brewers pissing match.

+1

🏀

• All American
« Reply #906 on: August 29, 2008, 09:01:04 AM »

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/MIller_Park_May_25_2005.jpg
WOW that is ugly, all the visible rust marks on the...bricks and windows? and the visible plywood?

Yep. I can see the plywood on the end of the roof there. They had to be installed due to the constant maintenance on the roof for the safety of the workers. I really wouldn't know this if my company hadn't been directly involved with the construction.

And the rust is there as well. Look at the white sections underneath the roof, and that picture is from 2005. The stadium has clearly not aged well.

I enjoy my baseball without a roof, rain or shine. If you haven't noticed, retractable roofs have gone the way of the Zubaz pants. But wait, there's still a lot of Zubaz in the state of Wisconsin, so the craptacular roof fits right in.

MUAlum99

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #907 on: August 29, 2008, 09:21:27 AM »
I really wouldn't know this if my company hadn't been directly involved with the construction.

So what does this say about you and your company, then?  You guys must be Craptacular, too!

Nice comeback win for the Chubs last night...I turned back to Obama figuring the game was over when it was 4-1 in the 8th.  As a Brewer fan I can only hope that the Chubs win the division early, put it in neutral and can't ramp it back up for the NLCS against the Crew. 
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because warriors are what we really are."  - Wesley Matthews

🏀

• All American
« Reply #908 on: August 29, 2008, 09:40:36 AM »
So what does this say about you and your company, then?  You guys must be Craptacular, too!

Nice comeback win for the Chubs last night...I turned back to Obama figuring the game was over when it was 4-1 in the 8th.  As a Brewer fan I can only hope that the Chubs win the division early, put it in neutral and can't ramp it back up for the NLCS against the Crew. 

Not really. If your craptacular state would have paid to construct the stadium properly, there would have been no issues or deaths. It's not like Wisconsin doesn't have ridiculous taxes not to pay for it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #909 on: August 29, 2008, 10:08:33 AM »
Not really. If your craptacular state would have paid to construct the stadium properly, there would have been no issues or deaths. It's not like Wisconsin doesn't have ridiculous taxes not to pay for it.
Alright, you can tell yourself that Miller Park sucks all you want.  You and the rest of your Cubs fan friends are the only people in the nation who will agree with that, but who are we kidding?  What the Cubs fans say is the only opinion that matters and nothing else could possibly be true.  I'd definitely rather have my game played in 65 degrees if it's 30 degrees and snowing and actually play the game even if it was raining rather than play in football weather or not play at all.  But yeah, that 15 minute delay to close the roof is really a hassle, much more than having to squeeze a double header in somewhere while it's snowing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/09/11/fvi.summary/index.html

Weird, Miller Park ranked 4th, Wrigley ranked 24th.  Clearly Wrigley is much better.  This isn't even put together by biased writers, it's voted on by fans, and I'd be willing to put money on more Cubs fans having voted than Brewers fans, so Wrigley would be more inflated by their own fans' votes than Miller Park would be.  But again, Cubs fans' opinions are the only ones that matter, that difference of 20 (out of 30 overall) means nothing...Miller Park's the crap hole and Wrigley is the best.

And before you waste your time stating that that's from 2006 rankings and that the rankings have probably changed, let me tell you that that argument is correct...and that the 2008 rankings by SI for MLB Ballparks has Miller Park ranked as the 2nd best ballpark, so that whole aging problem is apparently just making Miller Park that much more attractive.  And by the way, Wrigley isn't getting any younger itself...

But the retractable roof that we have is such a hassle, and the one that you...don't have...isn't.  Makes sense as to why Wrigley is better...roofs make everything, I'd rather not have one and rain out games than have one that makes noises when it closes.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/179923/top_10_mlb_ballpark_rankings.html?page=3&cat=14
Miller Park 5...Wrigley not in top 10.

http://pregame.com/forums/blogs/matty-oshea/archive/2008/05/02/2008-mlb-ballpark-rankings-hello-cleveland-brew-crew-2nd.aspx
Miller Park 2...Wrigley 15

Find me ONE site that has Wrigley ranked above Miller Park that wasn't created by one guy who has just visited a couple stadiums once and MAYBE I won't laugh and question any credibility you've ever had on anything when you try to make the claim that Miller Park's a crap hole.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 10:31:06 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUAlum99

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #910 on: August 29, 2008, 10:38:39 AM »
Isn't it the construction companies that laid out the budget for the stadium?  Why is it the state's fault that the stadium was over budget?  The state raised enough money for the stadium as it was architected. 

The crane collapse added time/cost on to the project - but wasn't it the construction company's decision to raise that roof piece in high winds that day in an effort to try to get back on schedule?
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because warriors are what we really are."  - Wesley Matthews

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #911 on: August 29, 2008, 10:50:54 AM »
If you haven't noticed, retractable roofs have gone the way of the Zubaz pants.

Pay attention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Oil_Stadium

🏀

• All American
« Reply #912 on: August 29, 2008, 12:19:57 PM »

Pay attention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Oil_Stadium

Minnesota Ballpark? Citi Field? New Yankee Stadium? Miami Baseball Stadium? Rays new stadium? Cisco Field?

Pay attention. Yeah, that's right, you're a unnatural carnal knowledgeing idiot.Typical Wisconsin.

You do realize that the State of Wisconsin had to reject the first bids for the stadium as they were all out of budget. The State then cheapened up on their materials and plans to get it within budget. Contractors build it to what their instructed by the approved engineering plans, everyone knows that the State was at a major fault. Also, the roof raising was pushed by the State's inspectors and the subcontractor, do some research.

wadesworld. For ratings, I don't care. I don't care about the food stands, ticket prices, parking, none of that matters. We both know that nothing beat Wrigley Field. Feel free to bring up all the little extra items used in ratings for the families to save some money. The fact of the matter is that Wrigley and Fenway are the preferred choice stadiums. No one. NO ONE will ever say,"I want to go to Miller Park before I die" NO ONE will ever plan a trip to Miller Park.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:25:45 PM by marqptm »

MUAlum99

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #913 on: August 29, 2008, 01:33:33 PM »
NO ONE will ever plan a trip to Miller Park.

My wife's parents who are HUGE Cubs fans make a yearly trip to Milwaukee to see a game at Miller Park - its NEVER during a Cubs/Brewers game.  They just love going to games at Miller Park every year.  In my father-in-law's own words: "Miller Park is the best park built in the last 20 years, hands down."  And he's been to many of the newer parks, so I sorta respect his judgement on such things.  Who's the fracking idiot now?

Honestly PTM, you have some SERIOUS, SERIOUS venom for anything Wisconsin.  Almost unhealthy.  I'm not sure what made you come to school at Marquette - my only guess is a free ride?  I can't think of any other reason that would make such an angry person choose a school in a place that he despises so much.

I dislike Chicago - but 99% of that stems from the sports teams.  The other 1% is the traffic I have to deal with to get to the in-laws' house in Indiana/Michigan.  Not sure where your hatred comes from....I'd love to hear the reason if you care to post it. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #914 on: August 29, 2008, 02:09:45 PM »
Pay attention. Yeah, that's right, you're a fracking idiot.Typical Wisconsin.
wadesworld. For ratings, I don't care. I don't care about the food stands, ticket prices, parking, none of that matters. We both know that nothing beat Wrigley Field. Feel free to bring up all the little extra items used in ratings for the families to save some money. The fact of the matter is that Wrigley and Fenway are the preferred choice stadiums. No one. NO ONE will ever say,"I want to go to Miller Park before I die" NO ONE will ever plan a trip to Miller Park.
Why do Chicago people ALWAYS talk about how HORRIBLE of a city Milwaukee is, yet continue to attend Marquette University, in the heart of Milwaukee.  That makes no sense to me.  If Chicago was so unbelievably great and Milwaukee was so terribly bad then why do people always come up here?  It's not like Marquette is THAT great of an educational institute.  University of Chicago and Northwestern University, in Chicago, are both outstanding schools in Chicago, but people continue to come from Chicago, God's gift to the world, up to Milwaukee, the polar opposite.  If people are rejected from those schools, there are other schools with the same entrance standards as Marquette University that are not in the terrible city of Milwaukee, with all the Wisconsinite idiots in it.  Two of these schools would be Xavier and Creighton, both Jesuit universities that are very similar in academic standings.  I can't believe so many people who absolutely hate the city, state, and people of Wisconsin would come to Wisconsin to go to school.  Why?

You don't care about price?  You don't care about food?  You must be crazy then.  Do you care if you pay for a ticket and then the game gets rained out and moved to another day that you can't attend that game?  I suppose not because our roof is so bad that we shouldn't even have it...I'm pretty sure Cubs fans plan trips to Miller Park every time the Cubs play in Milwaukee, so that was a pretty bad argument.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #915 on: August 29, 2008, 02:38:53 PM »
Why do Chicago people ALWAYS talk about how HORRIBLE of a city Milwaukee is, yet continue to attend Marquette University, in the heart of Milwaukee.  That makes no sense to me.  If Chicago was so unbelievably great and Milwaukee was so terribly bad then why do people always come up here?  It's not like Marquette is THAT great of an educational institute.  University of Chicago and Northwestern University, in Chicago, are both outstanding schools in Chicago, but people continue to come from Chicago, God's gift to the world, up to Milwaukee, the polar opposite.  If people are rejected from those schools, there are other schools with the same entrance standards as Marquette University that are not in the terrible city of Milwaukee, with all the Wisconsinite idiots in it.  Two of these schools would be Xavier and Creighton, both Jesuit universities that are very similar in academic standings.  I can't believe so many people who absolutely hate the city, state, and people of Wisconsin would come to Wisconsin to go to school.  Why?

You don't care about price?  You don't care about food?  You must be crazy then.  Do you care if you pay for a ticket and then the game gets rained out and moved to another day that you can't attend that game?  I suppose not because our roof is so bad that we shouldn't even have it...I'm pretty sure Cubs fans plan trips to Miller Park every time the Cubs play in Milwaukee, so that was a pretty bad argument.

Yea, because Marquette is pretty comparable to U of Chicago or Northwestern  ::).

And Xavier and Creighton are pretty comparable to Marquette  ::).  They don't have nearly the same national alumni base, nor are either even ranked within the top 130 national universities according to U.S. News.  Never mind the fact that Creighton is also about 7 hours from Chicago, and Xavier is about 5 hours - both a lot longer than and hour and a half for us Chicagoans.

Milwaukee sucks.  I didn't like it because it's not for me.  I'm from Chicago.  I'm used to a big city.  I need a sense of urgency when doing things and going places and certainly don't have that country "aww shucks" attitude.  People move slowly in Milwaukee, drive slowly, and I've thought many times that Marquette needed to offer a class in walking (not because people walk slowly, but because people just flat out don't know how to walk - stopping in the middle of a main path and blocking it off, etc. - tons of MU students have to agree with me there).  These are also the same reasons why I wouldn't enjoy living on the laid back west coast, or in a smaller city in general.

That being said, I loved my time at Marquette and wish I was going back there right now to continue classes as I am still coping with the recent graduate status.  We go to Marquette because there isn't a school in Chicago comparable to it, and most of us don't mind living in Milwaukee for only four years while enjoying ourselves in college.  Plus, isn't it the college experience to kind of get out of your home city?  Marquette is perfect for us - great education, great, national alumni base, competitive sports scene, away from home, but close enough that we can go home for a weekend if we need to.  I'll put up with four years of Milwaukee for that.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #916 on: August 29, 2008, 02:52:24 PM »
Minnesota Ballpark? Citi Field? New Yankee Stadium? Miami Baseball Stadium? Rays new stadium? Cisco Field?

Pay attention. Yeah, that's right, you're a fracking idiot.Typical Wisconsin.

You do realize that the State of Wisconsin had to reject the first bids for the stadium as they were all out of budget. The State then cheapened up on their materials and plans to get it within budget. Contractors build it to what their instructed by the approved engineering plans, everyone knows that the State was at a major fault. Also, the roof raising was pushed by the State's inspectors and the subcontractor, do some research.

Let me get this straight....you're saying that since only one of about six new major stadiums will have a retractable roof that the retractable roof has "gone the way of Zubaz?" That seems to imply that at some point, retractable roofs were commonplace, that a good proportion of stadiums had them. This has never been the case, and once again your argument holds no water. Thanks for playing, and thanks for the personal attack.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #917 on: August 29, 2008, 03:09:11 PM »
Find me ONE site that has Wrigley ranked above Miller Park that wasn't created by one guy who has just visited a couple stadiums once and MAYBE I won't laugh and question any credibility you've ever had on anything when you try to make the claim that Miller Park's a crap hole.

You asked for it:

http://www.portfolio.com/interactive-features/2008/05/Foul-Ballpark

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #918 on: August 29, 2008, 03:19:39 PM »
You asked for it:

http://www.portfolio.com/interactive-features/2008/05/Foul-Ballpark

"Violations are for 2007 from online reports, which were not available for all stadiums...."

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #919 on: August 29, 2008, 03:41:22 PM »

Your right that is what we are ALWAYS doing.  I don't eat, sleep or work. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #920 on: August 29, 2008, 03:55:02 PM »
1.) Retractable roofs were being designed for every new stadium. Since, all new stadiums are being designed without them. So they were very popular, and now they aren't. Failing to see how that isn't working out for you.

2.) Good for your parents (Safeco is a much better field), great for Cubs fans. Wrigley Field is a destination. Miller Park is not. Wrigley Field is that because of his history, tradition, greatness, surroundings and atmosphere. Miller Park has none of these. I don't care about prices. If I want to see a game, I'll pay for it. If I want to be closer, I'll pay for it. Food? You'd be dumb to eat anything more than a snack at Wrigley. The surrounding neighborhood has twice as many desirable restaurants than Milwaukee as a whole. If your game gets rained out, that's great, as a fan I get to go to Wrigley again. I know for Brewer fans, it can be a hassle to make it to the Park.

3.) I used to love Wisconsin. I was excited to go to school in Milwaukee. I used to cheer for the Brewers. I have a Turnbow jersey shirt because I liked him, but it did come in handy to mock people. If the taxes weren't so high, I would probably cross the state line to buy a house in Wisconsin. It's the people of Wisconsin that have made me loathe Wisconsin. The general attitude irks me like no other. The sense of satisfaction with mediocrity covers the state.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #921 on: August 29, 2008, 04:47:03 PM »
Retractable roofs were being designed for every new stadium. FALSE
Since, all new stadiums are being designed without them. FALSE
So they were very popular, and now they aren't. by logic, FALSE

Please, PLEASE show me blueprints/plans for "every new stadium" that shows designs for retractable roofs.

Lucas Oil Field has a retractable roof. University of Phoenix Stadium has a retractable roof. The Cowboys' new stadium will have a retractable roof. So will the Vikings' new home. There's a stadium under construction in Turkey that will also have a retractable roof. There's a new stadium being planned in Sweden that will also have (get this) a RETRACTABLE ROOF.

Hell, check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Retractable-roof_stadiums

I know it's hard for a Cubs fan to admit as much, but you're wrong. It's OK.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 04:49:22 PM by IAmMarquette »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #922 on: August 29, 2008, 05:10:04 PM »
Please, PLEASE show me blueprints/plans for "every new stadium" that shows designs for retractable roofs.

Lucas Oil Field has a retractable roof. University of Phoenix Stadium has a retractable roof. The Cowboys' new stadium will have a retractable roof. So will the Vikings' new home. There's a stadium under construction in Turkey that will also have a retractable roof. There's a new stadium being planned in Sweden that will also have (get this) a RETRACTABLE ROOF.

Hell, check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Retractable-roof_stadiums

I know it's hard for a Cubs fan to admit as much, but you're wrong. It's OK.

Any of those a baseball stadium by chance?

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #923 on: August 29, 2008, 05:46:47 PM »
Any of those a baseball stadium by chance?

No they're not, but, if we're being technical, you simply stated that retractable roofed stadiums had fallen out of favor. The list I provided is pretty solid evidence to the contrary. You never specified baseball stadiums.

So you might prefer outdoor baseball. So do I. But it is awfully nice to have that roof when you need it--just ask the Angels, Indians and Major League Baseball. I don't mind bundling up for a game at Lambeau (a true gem of a stadium, in any sport), but I shouldn't have to bring a blanket to watch the boys of summer.

Miller Park's roof isn't perfect. Anyone who would try to argue otherwise is an idiot. But let's say Chase Field has problems with its roof someday. Would you hate the stadium, the team and their fans because of it? I doubt it.

I've said it repeatedly: the main reason behind your disdain for Miller Park is that it's the home of the Brewers, about whom you claim not to care at all. That claim is pretty clearly a lie.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #924 on: August 29, 2008, 06:00:20 PM »
the twins, for some reason, aren't putting one on their new place, even though they had A LOT of snow the first day of the season this year and I certainly wouldn't want to play outside at night in MN in April or October.