collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461416 times)

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
Re: The Offical Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #800 on: August 17, 2008, 01:21:05 PM »
If the Brewers make the playoffs, it will be largely due to CC's unbelievable pitching and I think that would give him an excellent shot at the cy young.  Especially if he goes undefeated.
"We have the blues on the run!"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #801 on: August 18, 2008, 08:18:36 AM »
If the Brewers make the playoffs, it will be largely due to CC's unbelievable pitching and I think that would give him an excellent shot at the cy young.  Especially if he goes undefeated.

pretty ignorant statement on all fronts.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #802 on: August 18, 2008, 11:56:23 AM »

Absolute pipe dream.

CC has no chance against Webb or Lincecum.

I'd say Lincecum, but W's are valued way too much.

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #803 on: August 18, 2008, 05:08:04 PM »
pretty ignorant statement on all fronts.
Just out of curiosity how many fronts are there?

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #804 on: August 18, 2008, 05:40:58 PM »
Stats from team's web sites/ESPN

Webb 18-4, 2.85 ERA, 3 complete games

Lincecum 13-3, 2.60 ERA, 0 complete games

Sabathia 7-0, 1.55 ERA, 4 complete games (National League only)

I probably should have used the word "good" opposed to "excellent".  Webb is dominant and has a ton of wins.  He is the favorite right now, but if Sabathia goes undefeated and pushes the Brewers into the playoffs he would have a  "good" shot at Cy young. If that occurred I would hardly consider it a "pipe dream".  Purely speculation..

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #805 on: August 19, 2008, 12:09:12 AM »
The thing that will kill Lincecum I feel is that he plays for the Giants, and so they will take in account on his team not being competitive, it is silly to do, but they do.

My vote is Webb.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #806 on: August 19, 2008, 07:45:17 AM »
The thing that will kill Lincecum I feel is that he plays for the Giants, and so they will take in account on his team not being competitive, it is silly to do, but they do.

My vote is Webb.

But isn't it more amazing the kid can get 13 wins with an offense that is so bad as the giants? 

My vote is also webb

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #807 on: August 19, 2008, 11:38:08 AM »
It will go to Webb.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #808 on: August 19, 2008, 11:46:10 AM »
And why did Ned throw CC out there in the 9th inning?  You were up 7 and he threw 110 pitches going in.  He finished with 130.  Ned is going to end his career because he doesn't care about CC's future.  Same goes for Sheets.  He wants to get what he can now out of the two before they bolt.

And if you don't think this overuse won't effect them next year see Dusty Baker in 2003 & 2004 along with this season.  That is what overuse does to a pitching staff.

Completely reckless.  Ned should be ashamed. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #809 on: August 19, 2008, 01:11:17 PM »
Absolute pipe dream.

CC has no chance against Webb or Lincecum.

I'd say Lincecum, but W's are valued way too much.
ESPN.com has CC Sabathia as one of the top 4 candidates for NL MVP this year as of right now...and if he stays undefeated with an ERA in the mid 1's...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American
« Reply #810 on: August 19, 2008, 01:29:10 PM »
The above conversation was about CY Young, not MVP.  BUt I agree, with no stand out offensive players in NL, a 13-1 record with an ERA in the 1's that propels a team into the playoffs that hasn't been there in 26 years is a legit case for MVP.

As for the pitch count.  Yeah, it was irresponsible.  Hopefully Yost learns from it.  I don't have a problem with CC going the distance as long as his pitch count is below 110.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #811 on: August 19, 2008, 01:45:20 PM »
I agree.  110 is a good number at this point in the season.

I realize the bullpen hasn't been great but in a 7 run game, that's a good time to get those guys some work to get the kinks out.

I think the Brewers will take the Wild Card easily with the injuries to the Cardinals and an overused CC is the last thing they need.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #812 on: August 19, 2008, 02:39:13 PM »
It would be hard to argue against a 14-0 with a 1.50 ERA and 8 complete games as being a Cy Young (maybe even MVP) candidate.  Realistically, those numbers seem impossible to achieve even with the start Sabathia has had, and that it's impossible is the reason why he would be a candidate if it were to happen.  His numbers will only get worse (or stay the same with a trip to the DL to thank) if Yost has him throwing 130 pitches and making his first sacrifice bunt since 2001 with a 7 run lead.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #813 on: August 19, 2008, 03:58:36 PM »
I agree.  110 is a good number at this point in the season.

I realize the bullpen hasn't been great but in a 7 run game, that's a good time to get those guys some work to get the kinks out.

I think the Brewers will take the Wild Card easily with the injuries to the Cardinals and an overused CC is the last thing they need.

100% agreed as a brewers fan.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #814 on: August 19, 2008, 09:46:17 PM »
Another dominating win by the cubs.  Another ten K performance, what i love about it is that we are doing it without an mvp candidate and without a pitcher who will be in the top 3 for the cy young. True team in every sense.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #815 on: August 19, 2008, 10:27:35 PM »
Another dominating win by the cubs.  Another ten K performance, what i love about it is that we are doing it without an mvp candidate and without a pitcher who will be in the top 3 for the cy young. True team in every sense.
Good to hear
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #816 on: August 19, 2008, 11:07:11 PM »
Good to hear

Couldn't agree more.  What's wrong with Benji?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #817 on: August 19, 2008, 11:36:46 PM »
Couldn't agree more.  What's wrong with Benji?
Not quite sure.  He'll be alright.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #818 on: August 20, 2008, 08:12:52 AM »
Not quite sure.  He'll be alright.

hard to win with zero run support.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #819 on: August 20, 2008, 10:21:15 AM »
hard to win with zero run support.
Yeah and when you have Kapler hitting 3rd and Counsell hitting 6th (or anywhere in the lineup), and you strand the bases loaded...twice...with Kapler up, plus get thrown out going to 3rd with no outs by 4 steps and get thrown out going home with 1(?) out by 8 steps (what the HELL was Svuem thinking?!  Pence was charging in and at almost the infield dirt and got to the ball as Cameron was stepping on 3rd!), you're not going to get that run support.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #820 on: August 20, 2008, 03:26:56 PM »
Yeah and when you have Kapler hitting 3rd and Counsell hitting 6th (or anywhere in the lineup), and you strand the bases loaded...twice...with Kapler up, plus get thrown out going to 3rd with no outs by 4 steps and get thrown out going home with 1(?) out by 8 steps (what the HELL was Svuem thinking?!  Pence was charging in and at almost the infield dirt and got to the ball as Cameron was stepping on 3rd!), you're not going to get that run support.

as far as I am concerned after this year no one's job is safe... Skaalen, Sveum, Yost should probably all go.

I still like Seder, but his job as a first base coach is about as easy as it gets.

I would be happy to see Mike Maddox stay as pitching coach, but there needs to be some house cleaning next year.

Home runs are fun to watch and all, but I would like to see SOME strategy... The Brewers have decent team speed (Cameron, Weeks, Hart, Braun, Kapler, Hall) and don't seem to ever steal any bases because Yost seems content to just let his (and to quote Earl Weaver) 'big cocksuckers hit the ball out of the unnatural carnal knowledgeing park'.

Drives me nuts.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #821 on: August 20, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »
I still like Seder, but his job as a first base coach is about as easy as it gets.
It's not quite as easy as you think.  You have to get reads on the pitcher and their moves and that's not all that easy.  It does seem easy though.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #822 on: August 20, 2008, 10:15:12 PM »
Seder reminds me of the man you would want to go out and get drunk with, and tell stories of the good old days.  Love when they have him mic'd for the game, always a treat.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #823 on: August 22, 2008, 04:56:17 PM »
Don't turn on WGN.

It's a late game hitfest...for the Nationals.
SS Marquette

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #824 on: August 23, 2008, 10:02:52 PM »