collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461352 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: The Offical Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #600 on: July 29, 2008, 01:15:26 PM »
Are bears/packer games at Soldier Field 40% packer fans?  If they were it would be an accurate nick name.  If brewer fans don't want Miller park to turn into wrigley north then they will have to sit on the net and buy up tickets the moment they go on sale like cubs fans do.

didnt we just go over this?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #601 on: July 29, 2008, 01:31:18 PM »
watching brewers replay and i now know why brian anderson and the other fat guy are so bad.  After soriano hit a HR, they talk about him cadillacing it around the bases...being slow out of the box.  I'm not sure how these idiots got their job but did anyone see ryan braun hit a HR in STL.  He didn't run till it landed!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #602 on: July 29, 2008, 01:35:18 PM »
watching brewers replay and i now know why brian anderson and the other fat guy are so bad.  After soriano hit a HR, they talk about him cadillacing it around the bases...being slow out of the box.  I'm not sure how these idiots got their job but did anyone see ryan braun hit a HR in STL.  He didn't run till it landed!

perhaps you missed the first at bat where he jogged it to first and the ball went off the wall.  He looked pretty stupid jogging to first base, and then all out sprinting to second and almost getting thrown out.

typically, you only walk on a no doubter.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #603 on: July 29, 2008, 01:44:59 PM »
correct, but they were commenting on the second at bat.  If you are going to say something like that, make sure your team gets out of the box promptly after hitting it.  I realize soriano looked dumb. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #604 on: July 29, 2008, 01:49:38 PM »
correct, but they were commenting on the second at bat.  If you are going to say something like that, make sure your team gets out of the box promptly after hitting it.  I realize soriano looked dumb. 

Wasn't the comment something along the lines of, 'After his last time trotting to first, you'd think he'd run this one out'?

Either way, I will agree with your assessment that Schroeder and Anderson are retarded.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #605 on: July 29, 2008, 01:53:02 PM »

Either way, I will agree with your assessment that Schroeder and Anderson are retarded.

The worst in the business.

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #606 on: July 29, 2008, 01:56:28 PM »
perhaps you missed the first at bat where he jogged it to first and the ball went off the wall.  He looked pretty stupid jogging to first base, and then all out sprinting to second and almost getting thrown out.

typically, you only walk on a no doubter.
How about the kid who caught the home run?  Caught it with one hand and held on to his pizza with the other.  That's a real web gem!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #607 on: July 29, 2008, 01:59:15 PM »
Thanks for explicitly disregarding my comment. ;D  You may want to read ESPN's recap....apparently I'm not the only one calling MP "Wrigley North."  So, did you get kicked out last night?  I'm looking forward to sitting in my buddy's Brewers season seats that he gave me for tomorrow night. 

Thanks for continuing to take the high road....you may want to read some of recent posts there are some fun, legitimate fun facts in there for you.....keep having fun! ;)

Go Cubs!
Thanks, man, and you're more than welcome :).  Have fun tonight!  It should be a good one!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #608 on: July 29, 2008, 02:03:14 PM »

They're not great but I don't think they are the worst.  Try watching MLB extra innings and you'll hear some real bad ones.  Almost all tv announcers are so big of homers its not even funny, and both announcing teams in Chicago are no exception.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #609 on: July 29, 2008, 02:05:05 PM »
How about the kid who caught the home run?  Caught it with one hand and held on to his pizza with the other.  That's a real web gem!

We replayed that catch three times on the DVR last night when it happened.  He had the Cubs fan shielding him from the ball, and his pizza in one hand.  Not to mention that the kid looked like he was about 9 and had the ball the whole way.  Great grab.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #610 on: July 29, 2008, 02:07:03 PM »
that is one of the worst things about them..."boy, sure would be nice if _______ could knock one outta here now." at least 5 times a game it seems like. how about stringing together some hits instead of relying on the long ball so much. gee willickers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #611 on: July 29, 2008, 02:12:57 PM »
that is one of the worst things about them..."boy, sure would be nice if _______ could knock one outta here now." at least 5 times a game it seems like. how about stringing together some hits instead of relying on the long ball so much. gee willickers.
Only 2 games out of the division lead and first in the wild card...why change what works?  While I do agree that sometimes we need to play small ball (move the runner over to 3rd with a bunt if we have a leadoff double or other times), I'll take the 2nd best record in the NL any day, and having a chance to win our division.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #612 on: July 29, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »
They're not great but I don't think they are the worst.  Try watching MLB extra innings and you'll hear some real bad ones.  Almost all tv announcers are so big of homers its not even funny, and both announcing teams in Chicago are no exception.

I do watch Extra Innings, quite regularly, mostly to hear other announcers.

Best: Scully, Giants, Cubs, Padres.
Worst: Brewers, Reds, Braves.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #613 on: July 29, 2008, 02:41:11 PM »
I do watch Extra Innings, quite regularly, mostly to hear other announcers.

Best: Scully, Giants, Cubs, Padres.
Worst: Brewers, Reds, Braves.
Honest question, do you think including the Cubs in your best might have something to do with the fact that they're the commentators for the Cubs?  If they were White Sox commentators would you still be saying they are the best?  I'm just curious...I personally think they are pretty boring and HUGE homers, but will admit that they at least know a thing or two about baseball, something the Brewers commentators don't know.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #614 on: July 29, 2008, 02:46:59 PM »
I think Len and Bob are very good at what they do. I don't find them to be that big of homers, they get very critical of the team at times and often Bob has been very flat out direct about it. Len and Bob know when the shut up, and that's probably their strong point out of any other announcing team.

I don't think I'm being a homer calling them one of the best. The thought may have been created after hearing seven years of Chip Caray non-stop talking. It used to be laborious to watch the Cubs game. It is no longer a marathon to keep the sound on.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #615 on: July 29, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »
I have to agree with PTM here.  I don't really think Len and Bob are homers at all.  Sure, they want the team to win, but Bob has been critical of the team, Soriano especially.  It's clear that Bob still has the manager's mentality.

And please don't even bring up White Sox announcers.  I have friends who are White Sox fans and can't stand them.  Just the inflection points in Hawk's voice annoy the hell out of me (I don't think he knows which syllables of words are stressed and which aren't), never mind his giant homerism and flashbacks to when he was a player and GM.  Easily one of the worst GMs ever, but I'm convinced he thinks he was great.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #616 on: July 29, 2008, 04:19:11 PM »
I love Len and Bob. They know what they are talking about and stay pretty objective as far as a team's announcers go. Still miss Steve Stone though.

And as for the radio, I won't claim Pat and Ron are great, but they are fun as hell to listen to.

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #617 on: July 29, 2008, 04:23:14 PM »
I wouldn't say they are the worst in the business.  They were actually pretty unbiased on out/safe and check swing calls for both teams last night.
"We have the blues on the run!"

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #618 on: July 29, 2008, 04:26:01 PM »
I'm a Sox fan, and I think Len and Bob are great at what they do.

Most don't like him (obviously non Sox fans don't), but I love Hawk. He doesn't call a bad game or a great game, he openly roots for the White Sox, and you know exactly what you're going to get every time you listen in. He's funny to listen to, never boring, and I don't take him too seriously. If you take that approach, he's not too bad on the ears.

DJ stinks, but Stone will be in the tv booth next year with Harrelson.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 04:27:46 PM by MUDish »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #619 on: July 29, 2008, 04:29:14 PM »
I'm a Sox fan, and I think Len and Bob are great at what they do.

Most don't like him (obviously non Sox fans don't), but I love Hawk. He doesn't call a bad game or a great game, he openly roots for the White Sox, and you know exactly what you're going to get every time you listen in. He's funny to listen to, never boring, and I don't take him too seriously. If you take that approach, he's not too bad on the ears.

DJ stinks, but Stone will be in the tv booth next year with Harrelson.

I don't mind Hawk, just as much as I don't mind Santo. They bring a passion to the broadcast, some people like it, some people don't.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #620 on: July 29, 2008, 04:35:19 PM »
I don't mind Hawk, just as much as I don't mind Santo. They bring a passion to the broadcast, some people like it, some people don't.

Santo? He might be the worst broadcaster of any sport. He can't even speak English half the time. Santo makes George Thompson seem like Vin Scully.
But I like to throw handfuls...

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #621 on: July 29, 2008, 04:45:08 PM »
Santo? He might be the worst broadcaster of any sport. He can't even speak English half the time. Santo makes George Thompson seem like Vin Scully.

But he's our worst broadcaster.  He lives and dies with every at bat, every out and every pitch.  He's an unabashed homer for the Cubs and that's why we love him.  You can just hear the agony he's in during a bad game and the elation he feels during a good and exciting game, just like the rest of us Cubs fans.

And his reactions are hilarious.  I was listening a game earlier this month with my buddy who's a Brewers fan.  It was the first time he heard Santo and he was absolutely in tears laughing.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 04:47:02 PM by eaglewarrior08 »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #622 on: July 29, 2008, 05:01:08 PM »
But he's our worst broadcaster.  He lives and dies with every at bat, every out and every pitch.  He's an unabashed homer for the Cubs and that's why we love him.  You can just hear the agony he's in during a bad game and the elation he feels during a good and exciting game, just like the rest of us Cubs fans.

And his reactions are hilarious.  I was listening a game earlier this month with my buddy who's a Brewers fan.  It was the first time he heard Santo and he was absolutely in tears laughing.

He sounds like a chimp in heat with the yapping and yelping he does. He brings nothing to broadcast. I mean why not put Ronnie Woo Woo on air? Same effect.
But I like to throw handfuls...

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #623 on: July 29, 2008, 05:06:56 PM »
No one is as bad as Ronnie Woo Woo.  No one.

OT: Chili, I've only been off campus since graduation, but looking at your avatar made me really want Real Chili right now.  God, I miss that place.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 05:08:27 PM by eaglewarrior08 »

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #624 on: July 29, 2008, 07:12:09 PM »

Who doesn't like to "sit down and strap it down"?
"We have the blues on the run!"