collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461394 times)

Moonboots

• Starter
Re: The Offical Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #575 on: July 29, 2008, 10:30:22 AM »
Cedeno and Hart were both out.

Are you just saying this from your one time watching the game live last night?  I DVR'ed it and I've watched each of those plays 5 or 6 times this morning.  The Journal Sentinel isn't lying.  Hart was safe and Cedeno was out.

Hart would have scored on Hall's broken bat single to center, and Cedeno would have been the second out of the inning, in which the Brewers recorded the next (and potentially final) out.

I watched the botched DP again, and Reed Johnson's slide was MUCH better than I thought live at the game.  Brewer fans still have a gripe because an AVERAGE second baseman makes that play, but to say Johnson didn't impact the throw and it all revolves around Rickie sucking, that's simply not true.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #576 on: July 29, 2008, 11:02:46 AM »
Cedeno got that call because Hall was out of position. For some reason, Hall was not able to get to the bag in time and caught the ball behind the runner. He may have tagged Cedeno on the back or shoulder, but Cedeno reached 3rd base before Hall did, so Cedeno got the benefit of the call.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #577 on: July 29, 2008, 11:08:09 AM »
Are you just saying this from your one time watching the game live last night?  I DVR'ed it and I've watched each of those plays 5 or 6 times this morning.  The Journal Sentinel isn't lying.  Hart was safe and Cedeno was out.

Hart would have scored on Hall's broken bat single to center, and Cedeno would have been the second out of the inning, in which the Brewers recorded the next (and potentially final) out.

I watched the botched DP again, and Reed Johnson's slide was MUCH better than I thought live at the game.  Brewer fans still have a gripe because an AVERAGE second baseman makes that play, but to say Johnson didn't impact the throw and it all revolves around Rickie sucking, that's simply not true.

I made a mistake, I meant they were both not out after the replay. Hall was not playing to make that tag, the ump was all over it. But in the end, the calls were made the way they were.

The Cubs are filled with average second basemen, I wouldn't expect DeRosa, Theriot or Fontenot to make that throw. The smart move was to get the out at second, and not risk what Rickie did.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #578 on: July 29, 2008, 11:26:02 AM »
So can a brewers fan tell me why you picked up ray durham?  He looked pretty good on the bench yesterday!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #579 on: July 29, 2008, 11:32:17 AM »
was a good game to watch as a brewers fan, but in the end a little depressing.  Despite the close calls and the botched DP the brewers were in position in the 9th to at least hold the Cubs.  Walking two batters in the 9th is a recipie for disaster and it ended up biting the team in the ass.  

Also, despite what I hear announcers and talk show hosts say, I think that Torres needs more than one night off every 5 days.  The man has pitched more innings than anyone in the bullpen.  I realize he is the closer, but you can't trot your tired closer out there every night and expect him to be perfect.  At this point, Torres has 5 blown saves, and isn't really pitching that well.

On the other hand, (and I KNOW I am going to get crap for this) Eric Gagne has been pitching very well his last 5 outings giving up zero runs.  Maybe it is time to send Torres back to his NORMAL role of being a great arm in relief, and let Gagne have a second chance out there when it counts.

I will be at the game tonight, unfortunately I can't really tailgate before tonights game.  I'm not sure where your info on Brewer fan's hostility, but I have never heard anything like that at any game.  Even in Green Bay, at Packer games vs. the Vikes or Bears, the fans are civil... where there is actually a rivalry.  I doubt there is anything that really gets out of hand.  

Also, realize that this is the first time in years that the Brewers are actually doing something, and playing competitive ball... so yelling things like, "Go Brewers!" at a Cubs fan should probably just be shrugged off by a 'veteran' fan.  Yelling "Go Cubs!" back is fine, but going back and saying "F*** the Brewers!" is going to get 90% of fans pissed off at you (Same goes for Brewers fans saying the same).  Also, understand that you aren't at Wrigley field.  You aren't exactly going to be welcome, and acting like you are at a home game is just the type of jack-assary that will start things.  Cheer for your team, fine, but display some class, and maybe you will shed the general perception that Cubs fans show up for the beer, and to heckle.  

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #580 on: July 29, 2008, 11:33:36 AM »
So can a brewers fan tell me why you picked up ray durham?  He looked pretty good on the bench yesterday!

Completely agree.  Rickie should have been sat from the day that Durham was signed.  I am not exactly sure why Yost is willing to trade for a starter to have him sit on the bench behind a guy who is batting much worse, and playing worse defense.

its Yostian.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #581 on: July 29, 2008, 11:42:21 AM »
Ask Yost. no one really knows his thought process behind most of the stuff he does...heck, i doubt he knows what he's doing w/ some of the moves he makes.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #582 on: July 29, 2008, 11:43:48 AM »
I was at the game yesterday, standing room behind the right field bleachers.  There were multiple problems of people throwing  bottles and cups and people.  Many stemmed from the end of the game in the bot of the 9th.  But thats what happens when u get 2 fan bases together that are drunk i guess.  Usually its the drunks that cause problems.

On other notes, some brewers fan got arrested for public urination, peeing behind a concession stand.  Hilarious the bathroom was just  to the right of it!!

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #583 on: July 29, 2008, 12:01:08 PM »
Great game last night at Wrigley North.  For those criticizing the Cubs fans...give me a break.  Every team has their share of belligerent and ignorant fans...the Cubs are certainly no exception.  For every "Cubs suck" comment from a Brewer fan there is almost an equally as eloquent, "Brewers Suck" or "F the Brewers" comment coming back...as annoying as it is for respectful, avid fans it goes with the territory. 

How about that rousing ovation when Derrek Lee fouled a ball off his foot and was standing with his hands on his knees fighting off the pain....now that was classy.

As long as Yost is managing the Brewers I will continue to feel better about the Cubs chances.  Where is Ray Durham? (Nice throw Rickie)  He leaves the highest paid set-up man in major league history to face Ward (Lefty) with Fukudome (another Lefty) on deck with his only left-handed reliever warming up in the bullpen.  Granted, it didn't come back to bite him but not sure what he was thinking....oh well, didn't have an impact on the game.

I forget who it was that compared Soriano to Cameron.....not sure it's a push though....pretty sure I'd rather have Soriano in the lineup...especially against CC who he has owned.

Was that a wasted start by CC?  While Harden's first win as a Cub will finally come on Thursday it was nice to see Gaudin (also acquired in the Harden deal) strike out the side and pick up his second win in as many days.

Should be another entertaining game tonight....hopefully Z has his head on straight and raises his record to 4-1 against Sheets in head-to-head games...with the Cubs only hitting .132 against Benji this year it's not going to be easy.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #584 on: July 29, 2008, 12:07:31 PM »

Rickie has a little better #s against lefties this year:

Weeks:
93 ab
.247 avg
.409 slg
.366 obp
3 hr
5 rbi
3 sb

Durham:
68 abs
.221 avg
.324 slg
.354 obp
1 hr
9rbi
2 sb

Weeks has also actually been pretty hot since the all-star break as well going .286/.409/.514 in the 10 games since.  He had a bad game last night and he will prolly never be the world beater everyone expected, but he is still key to the Brewers attack as he still scores a lot of runs (t-12 in the NL).  I would like to see Durham play about 1 out of every 3 games just to keep both guys fresh and give the lineup a change of pace, but who know what Yost will do (Durham has started 2 of 8 games since being acquired).  

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #585 on: July 29, 2008, 12:13:25 PM »
I forget who it was that compared Soriano to Cameron.....not sure it's a push though....pretty sure I'd rather have Soriano in the lineup...especially against CC who he has owned.

That was me.  Soriano definitely had a great game last night, but I think he still is overrated as a player.  Nearly getting thrown out at second in the first (no harm in the end) and misplaying the Hart double allowing Fielder to score are two things a lot of people are going to overlook when they see the boxscore.  Of course, without him the Cubs prolly don't win but I don't think he is worth the money he's getting, especially as he gets older.  Cameron also threw Lee out at home plate last night but did look pretty bad at the plate.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #586 on: July 29, 2008, 12:14:11 PM »
I was at the game yesterday, standing room behind the right field bleachers.  There were multiple problems of people throwing  bottles and cups and people.  Many stemmed from the end of the game in the bot of the 9th.  But thats what happens when u get 2 fan bases together that are drunk i guess.  Usually its the drunks that cause problems.

IMO, the right field bleachers have always seemed to be the most hostile part of the park.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #587 on: July 29, 2008, 12:25:51 PM »
Rickie has a little better #s against lefties this year:

Weeks:
93 ab
.247 avg
.409 slg
.366 obp
3 hr
5 rbi
3 sb

Durham:
68 abs
.221 avg
.324 slg
.354 obp
1 hr
9rbi
2 sb

Weeks has also actually been pretty hot since the all-star break as well going .286/.409/.514 in the 10 games since.  He had a bad game last night and he will prolly never be the world beater everyone expected, but he is still key to the Brewers attack as he still scores a lot of runs (t-12 in the NL).  I would like to see Durham play about 1 out of every 3 games just to keep both guys fresh and give the lineup a change of pace, but who know what Yost will do (Durham has started 2 of 8 games since being acquired).  

I would think though that Yost would look at matchups.....Weeks last AB was against a RHP, Howry, who he is 1 for 9 against in his career versus Durham who is 2 for 5....granted, neither has a lot of experience against Howry but you'd think he'd go with the Righty-Lefty match-up at that point?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #588 on: July 29, 2008, 12:28:15 PM »
IMO, the right field bleachers have always seemed to be the most hostile part of the park.

right field bleachers = miller BEER pen. yeah, give obnoxious sober ppl beer and they just get worse.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #589 on: July 29, 2008, 12:30:02 PM »
right field bleachers = miller BEER pen. yeah, give obnoxious sober ppl beer and they just get worse.

However, I'm pretty sure you can drink beer anywhere in the park (sans family sections)...so thats no excuse for one section to be rougher. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #590 on: July 29, 2008, 12:31:45 PM »
calling Miller park Wrigley North is exactly what I am talking about.  You don't see Packer's fans calling Soldier Field, "Lambeau South".

I realize it is all in good fun to you, but when you say things like that, you can't expect everyone to take it as a joke.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #591 on: July 29, 2008, 12:37:57 PM »
Cameron also threw Lee out at home plate last night but did look pretty bad at the plate.

Cameron didn't throw him out, Quade was dumb for sending him.

calling Miller park Wrigley North is exactly what I am talking about.  You don't see Packer's fans calling Soldier Field, "Lambeau South".

I realize it is all in good fun to you, but when you say things like that, you can't expect everyone to take it as a joke.

I think it's a bit different when in the past years Miller Park has been dominated by Cubs fans. In the last two years, 30-40% of a rival fan base still says a lot.

Neither football teams even come close to those percentages.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 12:40:05 PM by marqptm »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #592 on: July 29, 2008, 12:45:07 PM »
Cameron didn't throw him out, Quade was dumb for sending him.

I think it's a bit different when in the past years Miller Park has been dominated by Cubs fans. In the last two years, 30-40% of a rival fan base still says a lot.

Neither football teams even come close to those percentages.

it says that Cubs fans are willing to pay more than Brewers fans to watch a game in a stadium which isn't much farther than its home stadium for a lot of its fans...  Milwaukee doesn't have the tradition or history to sell out most of its games, and a lot of fans are willing to have their whole season ('9 packs, etc) ticket package paid for to miss one game.  So can you really blame them?  If the Central is as close as everyone thinks it is going to be I would expect the last series to be mostly Brewers fans.

Also, thanks for the extra revenue your fans have dropped into the Brewer's coffers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #593 on: July 29, 2008, 12:52:11 PM »
it says that Cubs fans are willing to pay more than Brewers fans to watch a game in a stadium which isn't much farther than its home stadium for a lot of its fans...  Milwaukee doesn't have the tradition or history to sell out most of its games, and a lot of fans are willing to have their whole season ('9 packs, etc) ticket package paid for to miss one game.  So can you really blame them?  If the Central is as close as everyone thinks it is going to be I would expect the last series to be mostly Brewers fans.

Also, thanks for the extra revenue your fans have dropped into the Brewer's coffers.
While I agree with you about calling it Wrigley South, it is kind of embarassing to see how man Cubs fans are in Miller Park when they have a 1 game lead in the division on us.  If someone is a true Brewers fan they will either attend the game themselves or sell them to BREWERS fans.  It's like Marquette fans selling their MU vs. UW tickets to UW fans just because the offered more money...a true fan won't do that deal.

But I completely agree...we were ACTUALLY having a legitimate between Brewers and Cubs fans (doesn't happen too often) about a very well played (minus 1 play) ball game and that post wasn't exactly needed.  Of course it came from 94.  Oh well, I'll disregard it and hope this solid conversation continues.

Good game last night, hopefully another one in store tonight.

GO BREWERS! (Sorry if I'm being hostile with that :P)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #594 on: July 29, 2008, 12:55:45 PM »
However, I'm pretty sure you can drink beer anywhere in the park (sans family sections)...so thats no excuse for one section to be rougher. 

yes, but there is a reason it's in the bleachers and called the beer pen. Cheaper tickets and mostly occupied by people in their 20's-30's or older ppl that still want to relive their youth and get sloppy at baseball games. someone that is going to say 'Cubs suck' and such when not having anything to drink is going to rip you a helluva lot harder once they've had a few. especially if you're sporting cubs clothing. You know that as well as I do.  If you don't want to hear it as much, you'll have to avoid the bleachers all together.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #595 on: July 29, 2008, 12:56:16 PM »
While I agree with you about calling it Wrigley South, it is kind of embarassing to see how man Cubs fans are in Miller Park when they have a 1 game lead in the division on us.  If someone is a true Brewers fan they will either attend the game themselves or sell them to BREWERS fans.  It's like Marquette fans selling their MU vs. UW tickets to UW fans just because the offered more money...a true fan won't do that deal.

But I completely agree...we were ACTUALLY having a legitimate between Brewers and Cubs fans (doesn't happen too often) about a very well played (minus 1 play) ball game and that post wasn't exactly needed.  Of course it came from 94.  Oh well, I'll disregard it and hope this solid conversation continues.

well, I was just making an example really.  Most of the games aren't sold out and at the beginning of the year Cubs fans will buy up the tickets online and come watch the game... so there really isn't much we can do unless we cram the website the day the tickets go on sale and buy up every cubs game.

I agree a true fan shouldn't sell his tickets, and I would never do it, but it happens.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #596 on: July 29, 2008, 01:01:04 PM »
yes, but there is a reason it's in the bleachers and called the beer pen. Cheaper tickets and mostly occupied by people in their 20's-30's or older ppl that still want to relive their youth and get sloppy at baseball games. someone that is going to say 'Cubs suck' and such when not having anything to drink is going to rip you a helluva lot harder once they've had a few. especially if you're sporting cubs clothing. You know that as well as I do.  If you don't want to hear it as much, you'll have to avoid the bleachers all together.

to put it simply, they dont call them Bleacher Bourgeoisie... they are Bleacher Bums.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #597 on: July 29, 2008, 01:01:57 PM »

and i'm sure that every pitch would have been thrown and swung exactly the same way had there been a man on third.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #598 on: July 29, 2008, 01:06:03 PM »
While I agree with you about calling it Wrigley North, it is kind of embarassing to see how man Cubs fans are in Miller Park when they have a 1 game lead in the division on us.  If someone is a true Brewers fan they will either attend the game themselves or sell them to BREWERS fans.  It's like Marquette fans selling their MU vs. UW tickets to UW fans just because the offered more money...a true fan won't do that deal.

Thanks for explicitly disregarding my comment. ;D  You may want to read ESPN's recap....apparently I'm not the only one calling MP "Wrigley North."  So, did you get kicked out last night?  I'm looking forward to sitting in my buddy's Brewers season seats that he gave me for tomorrow night.  

Thanks for continuing to take the high road....you may want to read some of recent posts there are some fun, legitimate fun facts in there for you.....keep having fun! ;)

Go Cubs!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 01:08:39 PM by MarquetteFan94 »

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #599 on: July 29, 2008, 01:08:19 PM »
calling Miller park Wrigley North is exactly what I am talking about.  You don't see Packer's fans calling Soldier Field, "Lambeau South".

Are bears/packer games at Soldier Field 40% packer fans?  If they were it would be an accurate nick name.  If brewer fans don't want Miller park to turn into wrigley north then they will have to sit on the net and buy up tickets the moment they go on sale like cubs fans do.

feedback