collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461414 times)

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:19:51 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: The Offical Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #451 on: July 23, 2008, 01:18:58 PM »
Also I enjoy knowing we didnt trade away our farm system for Ray Durham and C.C. who will be living it up on the west coast next year.

I am impressed though.  Brewer fans haven't resorted to bringing up the Packers.

(I couldn't find a pic of Favre in a Viking jersey but this will do)

Think Maynard would give up the number...?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #452 on: July 23, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
Oh boy, Alfonso Soriano is coming back!!!

Cameron - 235 ab, 15 hr, 39 rbi, .320 obp, .477 slg
Soriano - 212 ab, 15 hr, 40 rib, .332 obp, .547 slg

Good thing the Brewers aren't paying Cameron $17m a year until he's 38.  Soriano does have a pretty big advantage in slugging but I think Cameron's better defense brings them pretty close as overall players.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #453 on: July 23, 2008, 01:33:59 PM »
LaPorta and your PTBNL is a top 5 prospect.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #454 on: July 23, 2008, 01:41:45 PM »
Also I enjoy knowing we didnt trade away our farm system for Ray Durham and C.C.

Eh, not true.  In trading for Sabathia and Durham, the Brewers only coughed up one of their consensus top 10 prospects -- a kid who is blocked by Braun and Fielder anyway.  If Green is PTBN, he's just outside of that group (I think #11); a nice player though he is likely blocked by Gamel.  The guys in the Durham deal are not prospects.

In the end, the Brewers will land up with a host of draft picks next spring when Sabathia and Durham sign elsewhere (the former likely to be tier one FA signed by a contender which will yield a pair of picks for Melvin, who has drafted very well as the GM in Beer City).

In the end, smart moves by Melvin......he improved his major league roster dramatically yet he didn't sell the farm.  By compare, look at what Theo Epstein coughed up last year to get that douche Gagne:  David Murphy (who is having a fine first full season in the majors), Kason Gabbard (serviceable lefty starter), and Engel Beltre -- who, although he's just a kid, is now one of the ten best prospects in baseball.

By any measure, Melvin did well here.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:45:23 PM by NYWarrior »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #455 on: July 23, 2008, 02:15:13 PM »
LaPorta would be starting next year by the end of the season.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #456 on: July 23, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »
LaPorta would be starting next year by the end of the season.

Possibly, but that would mean Hart would have to shift to center so LaPorta could play right.  Of course, he is still only a prospect.  There are no guarantees that he will ever be a star at the major league level.  There was some uproar a few years ago when the Brewers traded Nelson Cruz, who is having another monster year in AAA but is already 27 and didn't fare too well when given a chance by the Rangers last year.  If the Breweres make some noise in the playoffs this year the trade will probably be worth it.  If the Brewers miss the playoffs and LaPorta turns into the next incarnation of Pujols or Arod people will look back and think this was a bad trade.  However, at some point in time, you have to start making moves to win now given the young talent the Brewers have at the major league level rather than continually looking forward to 'next year'.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #457 on: July 23, 2008, 03:48:38 PM »
Possibly, but that would mean Hart would have to shift to center so LaPorta could play right.  Of course, he is still only a prospect.  There are no guarantees that he will ever be a star at the major league level.  There was some uproar a few years ago when the Brewers traded Nelson Cruz, who is having another monster year in AAA but is already 27 and didn't fare too well when given a chance by the Rangers last year.  If the Breweres make some noise in the playoffs this year the trade will probably be worth it.  If the Brewers miss the playoffs and LaPorta turns into the next incarnation of Pujols or Arod people will look back and think this was a bad trade.  However, at some point in time, you have to start making moves to win now given the young talent the Brewers have at the major league level rather than continually looking forward to 'next year'.

+1

plus, if anyone is calling the Laporta and others for CC a bad trade they need to stop talking baseball because I haven't seen one person in the media calling it a mistake.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #458 on: July 23, 2008, 03:54:25 PM »
LaPorta would be playing first next season by the end.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #459 on: July 23, 2008, 03:57:23 PM »

congrats, he would beat out a guy who is batting .236 with 7 home runs.

the bar will be set pretty high...

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #460 on: July 23, 2008, 04:04:48 PM »

So you think Fielder would be gone by then?  I can see the Brewers eventually trading him but I don't think it will be that soon.  He still has 3 arbitration years left so I would think the Brewers would hold onto him for at least another year and half but who knows if they get a really good deal.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #461 on: July 23, 2008, 04:12:50 PM »

+1

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
"We have the blues on the run!"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #463 on: July 23, 2008, 05:06:33 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Cubs-fan-Steve-Bartman-offered-25K-for-just-one?urn=mlb,95542

Will they ever leave the poor guy alone?
Yeah I was just looking at that.  Moises Alou admitted that he never would've caught the ball, why can't Cubs fans do the same?  Even if he had the chance to catch it, it was one play in a 7 game series, they were still leading that game, etc.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #464 on: July 23, 2008, 05:13:25 PM »
Yeah I was just looking at that.  Moises Alou admitted that he never would've caught the ball, why can't Cubs fans do the same?  Even if he had the chance to catch it, it was one play in a 7 game series, they were still leading that game, etc.

Alou has already retracted that statement.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #465 on: July 23, 2008, 05:47:29 PM »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JoumAUfwnI8

Wow.  I liked how when the Brewers were playing in Wrigley and Braun got trash thrown at him when a ball was hit into the left field corner ESPN showed the highlights and said said "only in Wrigley would that happen."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #466 on: July 23, 2008, 06:01:55 PM »
Alou has already retracted that statement.

His point still stands.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #467 on: July 23, 2008, 06:36:23 PM »

As I stated earlier in this thread, the vast majority of Cubs fans don't care about the Bartman junk anymore.  Few things irk me more than when some idiotic Cubs hater brings this crap up.  Sure, there are some idiots who still think the guy should be slaughtered, but I'm sure some moronic Orioles fans feel the same way about Jeffrey Maier.  It happens, but it's usually propagated by the media.  They often tend to blow this type of junk out of proportion a bit, in case you haven't noticed.  Every team has its own sect of clueless fans (i.e. the Bartman haters).  The vast, vast majority of Cubs fans don't even care about this anymore.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #468 on: July 23, 2008, 07:35:39 PM »
Few things irk me more than when some idiotic Cubs hater brings this crap up.
Clearly.  Yahoo's the one that had it as their main story...let them know.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #469 on: July 23, 2008, 08:30:48 PM »
I love it... the Cubs cough up 4 games in a week, so the Cubs bash the Brewers for the trades they made???

Am I missing something here... the Brewers are playing for this year, who cares who would be playing by the years end next year... maybe thats the Cubs fault, always looking to the next year, pay attention, this division isn't yours like you guys proclaimed halfway through the first half of the year, something us Brewer fans did last year... and as you can look back, I was one to say that the year is not close to being over, and was laughed at.

Have fun in the Pennant race Cub fans, I'll ride the CC train to the playoffs.  Even if it is only a rental, good year for a rental when there is clearly no favorite in the NL.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #470 on: July 23, 2008, 09:24:01 PM »
As I stated earlier in this thread, the vast majority of Cubs fans don't care about the Bartman junk anymore.  Few things irk me more than when some idiotic Cubs hater brings this crap up.  Sure, there are some idiots who still think the guy should be slaughtered, but I'm sure some moronic Orioles fans feel the same way about Jeffrey Maier.  It happens, but it's usually propagated by the media.  They often tend to blow this type of junk out of proportion a bit, in case you haven't noticed.  Every team has its own sect of clueless fans (i.e. the Bartman haters).  The vast, vast majority of Cubs fans don't even care about this anymore.
I agree with you.  Just feel sorry for the guy.  I believe he had to change jobs and actually moved out of the Chicago area.  Alou's statement was five years late and he could have decreased the pressure on the guy by saying that after that game.  I still would blame alex gonzalez for dropping a sure double play and prior not sucking it up...
"We have the blues on the run!"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #471 on: July 23, 2008, 11:21:18 PM »
Why are the Cubz scoring so much tonight?  They should save some of those extra runs in case their offense goes into hibernation again like it has been a lot lately.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #472 on: July 24, 2008, 09:23:31 AM »
A lot lately? They came out of the break slow, and I expected it, we did send half our team to the All-Star game. We have been going through a terrible stretch, and the Brewers are hot. Best part? We are still in first place. Second best part? The Cardinals are treading water very fast (sorry Brewers this 'rivalry' is nowhere near STL).

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #473 on: July 24, 2008, 10:39:20 AM »
A lot lately? They came out of the break slow, and I expected it, we did send half our team to the All-Star game. We have been going through a terrible stretch, and the Brewers are hot. Best part? We are still in first place. Second best part? The Cardinals are treading water very fast (sorry Brewers this 'rivalry' is nowhere near STL).

Half your team went to the all-star game, too bad half your team isn't all-star caliber.

The Brewers had a terrible stretch early in the season and now they are only 1 game back.  Thats why they play 162 games.

Treading water?  The Cards had won 5 straight prior to the Brewers series and have still gained two games over the cubs in the last 10.  Also, shouldn't the Cubs actually win something or at least make a WS appearance once in awhile before they consider themselves rivals of the 2nd most storied franchise in baseball.  I think most Cards fans would consider the Astros much bigger rivals than the Cubs over the last 10 years.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #474 on: July 24, 2008, 10:42:52 AM »
I think most Cards fans would consider the Astros much bigger rivals than the Cubs over the last 10 years.

Most Cards fans would think your completely wrong. I don't know if you watch Cards v. Cubs at all when they happen, but it's generally accepted as the second best rivalry in baseball to the media.

feedback