[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461472 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: The Offical Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #400 on: July 21, 2008, 01:28:50 PM »
So hostile. Doesn't Packers training camp start this week? If so, it'll be nice for the simpletons to divert their attention elsewhere because baseball is clearly not your sport.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #401 on: July 21, 2008, 02:52:22 PM »
The Brewers may lose both Sheets and Sabathia but they will also get Gallardo back.  Its tough to predict he is going to be an ace but he has shown a lot of promise. 

Also, 4 of the Cubs best position players (Lee, Ramirez, Soriano, and Fukodome) are all on the wrong side of 30.  Chances are they all prolly have a couple productive years left in them but it wouldn't be surprising to start to see declines out of these guys.

The Brewers still have a lot of young talent (Braun, Hart, Hardy, Parra, Gallardo, Fielder (at least for now)) plus a pretty talented farm system that should continue to feed the major league team.

The cards also have a lot of good young players as well (Pujols, Wainwright, Ludwick, Ankiel, Molina). 

I think the central is going to be a 3 team race for the next few years unless the other teams can make a turnaround.

the wrong side of 30 isn't what it is in most other sports in baseball. many players can continue being solid, productive players past 35.  I believe that barring any serious injury, all of those cubs players will most likely have 5 more seasons of solid contribution w/o a ton of drop off.

The brewers do have youth on their side though and having Gallardo back next year and Manny Parra coming into his own right now, it wouldn't surprise me if the Crew had a very solid rotation next year. I can see one of either Sheets or CC resigning too

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #402 on: July 21, 2008, 02:58:38 PM »
the wrong side of 30 isn't what it is in most other sports in baseball. many players can continue being solid, productive players past 35.  I believe that barring any serious injury, all of those cubs players will most likely have 5 more seasons of solid contribution w/o a ton of drop off.

The brewers do have youth on their side though and having Gallardo back next year and Manny Parra coming into his own right now, it wouldn't surprise me if the Crew had a very solid rotation next year. I can see one of either Sheets or CC resigning too

5 years might be pushing if for all those guys, but i pretty much agree with everything you said

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #403 on: July 21, 2008, 03:04:06 PM »

Well said, I agree they will resign sheets...not CC.  He has already said he wants to pitch for a team on the West Coast.  I could see him being an Angel next year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #404 on: July 21, 2008, 05:51:44 PM »
Its funny wadesworld...you keep talking about making it to the playoffs, I wonder your age because I know the last time I heard about the crew making the playoffs it was 4 years before I was born. 

For now stick to the regular season...something that at least every team can play in!
It's funny robmufan...I keep saying that this is the first year I am excited about the team and admit that we never get over the hill, but you ignore that fact because it doesn't fit your argument.  Like I said, Brewers fans are realistic, Cubs fans just see what they want to.

About Sheets or Sabathia resigning, I hate to say I don't think either will resign.  From what I hear CC loves Milwaukee but we can't pay him the $120 million he's going to get somewhere.  I think Sheets wants to get out of Milwaukee...this is the first year he's getting any run support whatsoever.  I do think, though, that we will either sign or trade for a solid, but not top tier, starter, and have Parra, Gallardo, and that starter to make a solid 1-3.  Hopefully Villinueva can come back as a starter, and Capuano could come back, but it will be almost 2 years since he has recorded a win by that time.  We'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:54:40 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #405 on: July 21, 2008, 06:00:59 PM »

It's funny robmufan...I keep saying that this is the first year I am excited about the team and admit that we never get over the hill, but you ignore that fact because it doesn't fit your argument.  Like I said, Brewers fans are realistic, Cubs fans just see what they want to.

Oh, our bad, ill apologize for all cubs fans for knowing what are team has, and the competition.  I'll let you speak for all brewers fans.  So please, tell me how it is!

MUAlum99

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #406 on: July 21, 2008, 06:01:41 PM »
So hostile. Doesn't Packers training camp start this week? If so, it'll be nice for the simpletons to divert their attention elsewhere because baseball is clearly not your sport.

Speaking of being hostile...hey pot, you're black!

Everyone else except you seems to be having fun with this thread...take it down a notch, Francis.  I fear for your blood pressure.  Wow.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because warriors are what we really are."  - Wesley Matthews

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #407 on: July 21, 2008, 06:59:51 PM »
Speaking of being hostile...hey pot, you're black!

Everyone else except you seems to be having fun with this thread...take it down a notch, Francis.  I fear for your blood pressure.  Wow.
Great post.

robmufan, you say you know the competition and what the team has, and EVERY year is the Cubs year to win the World Series, but why does that never happen?  And I told people how it would be...I said that the Cardinals were going to win the Central at the beginning of the year and everyone was laughing, but now it doesn't seem THAT far fetched (I'll admit it, it's probably not going to happen, but they're sticking around).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #408 on: July 21, 2008, 07:01:44 PM »
Go Bears!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 08:42:23 PM by wadesworld »

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #409 on: July 21, 2008, 08:16:38 PM »

Baseball may be America's past time, but it's clearly just a warm up for America's game.  If you don't think football rules baseball across the country, you're fooling yourself, so calling us "simpletons" because we're bigger football fans than baseball fans is a pretty poor effort.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #410 on: July 21, 2008, 08:24:15 PM »
Baseball may be America's past time, but it's clearly just a warm up for America's game.  If you don't think football rules baseball across the country, you're fooling yourself, so calling us "simpletons" because we're bigger football fans than baseball fans is a pretty poor effort.

speak for yourself here. the brewers are way more important to many of us than the packers.
But I like to throw handfuls...

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #411 on: July 21, 2008, 09:06:32 PM »
Accurate.  And it's the Cubs year to win back-to-back World Series?  Not quite.  
Nobody said that. However, it is our year to win back-to-back division titles.

What I personally find funny when PTM says "The Cubs will simply reload next year, and with new owners," usually when people talk about a team just "reloading" they are talking about a team that continually reaches the "promised land" for that sport.  For college basketball, it's the Final Four.  For college football, it's a BCS Bowl.  For the NFL, it's the Super Bowl.  For the NBA, it's the NBA Finals.  For the MLB, it's...the NLDS?  Congratulations Cubs fans, keep "reloading" into the NLDS (which you don't even make every year, so how is that even reloading?)  Does anybody honestly say "Wow, ______ makes the NLDS or ALDS year after year, they just reload."?  Teams that I would consider to "reload" would be UCLA basketball and LSU, USC, and Ohio State football.

The Cubs will reload in the offseason. Our nucleus is all under contract for next year. Jim Hendry will examine the team and the market and go out and find the supporting pieces we need. This has nothing to do with being a powerhouse. It has to do with the fact that we are a good team this year, look to be a good team next year as well, and have a front office that has proven they are willing to do what it takes to put the best possible team on the field.

I also think it's funny that the Cubs fans ALWAYS believe it's "their year," and when "their year" ends early, "next year is our year."
Optimism. It's a good thing.  

It must suck to never have your expectations lived up to.
That would suck. Sucked in 06, that's for sure. Didn't happen last year. Or this year as of now. So I can't speak as to recently.

At least Brewers fans realize when their team has no shot at a World Series and won't the next year.
That sounds like a fantastic fan experience.

This is the first year I've truly believed that the Brewers will make the Playoffs, and I think a lot of Brewers fans would agree.
Way to support your team.

We don't get excited about big leads in the division in June (like some other fans of the division do...) because we realize that it's less than half way into the season and a lot can change.
Then what the hell was all that gloating last year?

I even said last year that we'd give it up because we always do,
IF this is true, you'd be a part of the minority.

but this year we finally made a couple trades that will hopefully put us over that hill that we haven't been able to get over. I wish Cubs fan could be realistic too, it'd save them a lot of heartache.
I think the Cubs have a great shot at winning the title. I think they had a great shot last year. I think they should have a great shot next year. Is that not realistic? And I'll keep my heartache, thank you. Makes success that much more sweeter.

But go ahead, keep "reloading" into the NLDS (that you don't even make it to annually, so I'm not sure how that's even reloading).
Way to make sense. Strong ending to your post.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #412 on: July 21, 2008, 09:13:49 PM »
speak for yourself here. the brewers are way more important to many of us than the packers.

There's a good chunk that have a stronger affiliation to the Brewers than the Pack, but I don't think it's a stretch to say Wisconsin is largely a football state.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Brewers, I'm a 9 game pack season ticket holder and get to 25+ games a season, and watch just about every other one, but starting next week my attention starts to split off because the football season begins in Green Bay.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #413 on: July 21, 2008, 09:14:26 PM »
Meanwhile....my Halos have the best record in baseball and just swept the Red Sox.   ;)

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #414 on: July 21, 2008, 09:16:37 PM »

robmufan, you say you know the competition
Quote from: robmufan
and the competition.
and what the team has
knowing what our team has
, and EVERY year is the Cubs year to win the World Series,
Hmm FAR be it from me to question you, wadesworld, but is there a chance you might have completely made up the last of those three details in order to make robmufan and, in turn, cubs fans, look stupid? In the future you should probably stick to not naming your straw men.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:22:04 PM by drewm88 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #415 on: July 21, 2008, 09:18:59 PM »
and what the team has, and EVERY year is the Cubs year to win the World Series,
Hmm FAR be it from me to question you, wadesworld, but is there a chance you might have completely made up the last of those three details in order to make robmufan and, in turn, cubs fans, look stupid? In the future you should probably stick to not naming your straw men.
Your post makes absolutely no sense to me, especially all of the quotes you used, so I really can't answer that question for you, I apologize.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #416 on: July 21, 2008, 09:20:29 PM »
Your post makes absolutely no sense to me, especially all of the quotes you used, so I really can't answer that question for you, I apologize.

You mentioned three things robmufan said. I found two of them. Please tell me where in his post the 3rd comes from.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #417 on: July 21, 2008, 09:23:34 PM »
You mentioned three things robmufan said. I found two of them. Please tell me where in his post the 3rd comes from.
Oh gotcha, now I see.  I meant that Cubs fans are known for saying that "this year's our year" until that season ends, and then "next year's our year."  robmufan is saying that Cubs fans know what their team has and what the competition is.  So, if Cubs fans know the competition and what they have on their team, and Cubs fans also say "this year's our year" or "next year's our year," it always happens.

In other words, we were both talking about Cubs fans as a whole, not just robmufan.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #418 on: July 22, 2008, 12:13:29 AM »
Is it just me? Or has this whole discussion deteriorated into the realm of the indecipherable?

Meanwhile, the Crew is just 2 games back....

reinko

• All American
« Reply #419 on: July 22, 2008, 07:03:30 AM »
Another wasted performance for Rich  :'(  :'(  :'(

🏀

• All American
« Reply #420 on: July 22, 2008, 08:30:07 AM »
Like I said, Brewers fans are realistic, Cubs fans just see what they want to.

If you want to talk about realistic fan bases, I really think you need to reexamine your fanbases:

1.) Lunatic Packers Fans
2.) Insane Badger Backers
3.) Inferiority Complex and Every Player Will Continue To Have Career Years Brewer Fans
4.) Michael Redd Will Be Healthy Bucks Fans
5.) Inferiority Complex UWM Fans
6.) Ridiculous Carroll College Fanatics

While many of the posters on here are very knowledgeable and can take a good rubbing. Clearly, wadesworld cannot, which has made this thread not fun anymore.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #421 on: July 22, 2008, 08:44:23 AM »
Yo PTM,

Don't forget about the:
Over-anxious deer hunters who iron their blaze orange jumpsuits a week before the season starts

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #422 on: July 22, 2008, 08:46:39 AM »
unfortunately, i have to agree w/ the cubs douches (  ;) ) here. wadesworld, it's a pissing match.

and because of that:

http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/cubs.jpg

🏀

• All American
« Reply #423 on: July 22, 2008, 09:03:47 AM »
Yo PTM,

Don't forget about the:
Over-anxious deer hunters who iron their blaze orange jumpsuits a week before the season starts

And it's the only thing they iron all year.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #424 on: July 22, 2008, 09:09:54 AM »
Agreed MU Warrior, this is a pissing match

So the question now is:  Who is the star of this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1MJ-ta0S24

A. PTM
B. RobMufan
C. Drew