[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461452 times)

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: The Offical Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #375 on: July 08, 2008, 08:00:26 PM »
I'm willing to bet that Gallardo will not be back. If they rush him, and pull a Dusty Baker it will be the death of him.

I'm with you on this one, and frankly I hope he doesn't rush to try to get back on the field.

And Mosarsour: don't forget Parra. Pretty damn good 1-4.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #376 on: July 08, 2008, 09:38:11 PM »
Wood has been healthy for several whole seasons > Ben Sheets.

Really?  In 3 less seasons:

Seasons started over 30 games
Sheets: 3
Wood: 2

Seasons started over 20 games:
Sheets: 6
Wood: 6

Seasons unable to make at least half his starts
Sheets: 0
Wood: 4 (excluding this season obviously)

Total Innings Pitched
Sheets: 1346
Wood: 1196

What was your point?  Obviously, its tough to compare them currently since Sheets is pitching like a Cy-Young caliber starter and Wood has been forced into the bullpen to ease the load on his arm but is doing a pretty good job as the closer.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #377 on: July 09, 2008, 02:52:23 AM »
Doug Melvin stated on Mike and Mike in The Morning that the Brewers might have Gallardo back before season's end and I'd say that a 1-2-3 punch of CC, Sheets, and Gallardo is as good as any other team in the league.

Hmm yes, almost as good as Zambrano-Dempster-Harden.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #378 on: July 09, 2008, 11:13:40 AM »
Hmm yes, almost as good as Zambrano-Dempster-Harden.

I'll take Sheets, CC, and Gallardo/Parro over those 3 but its real close.  Of course, the real race now is to see who gets hurt first: Sheets or Harden.  My bet is Harden.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #379 on: July 09, 2008, 02:57:05 PM »
I'm willing to bet that Gallardo will not be back. If they rush him, and pull a Dusty Baker it will be the death of him.

Here's an article from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Gallardo return a possibility
By Tom Haudricourt
Tuesday, Jul 8 2008, 11:16 PM
Now that the Brewers have added CC Sabathia, how tough would they be in the final weeks if young right-hander Yovani Gallardo returns from his knee injury? Gallardo suffered a torn ACL in his right knee in Chicago on May 1 and was presumed lost for the season.

But Gallardo and the Brewers still have hope - albeit it slim - that he could return sometime in September. He has not begun to throw yet but is making nice progress in the rehabilitation program on the knee.

When Gallardo tore cartilage in his left knee before the start of spring training, he returned to action on April 20. Gallardo was in his third start when he tore his ACL in a collision at first base.

"I would like to pitch before the end of the year," Gallardo told me tonight. "That's what I'm shooting for. If I'm not ready, it's not worth taking the risk. But everything's going good.

"I'm going to do everything possible to stay on the right track. I'm not counting on it but hopefully I can come back (in September). That's my goal."

Asked if he thought Gallardo would pitch again in 2008, general manager Doug Melvin said, "I guess it would be a bonus if we got him. It would be a nice bonus."

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #380 on: July 11, 2008, 01:49:42 AM »
So now that we've spent so much time bashing Sheets for being injury prone, are we going to waffle since Harden is a Cub and has a worse injury history than Sheets?  Any double standard on the way?

🏀

• All American

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #382 on: July 18, 2008, 02:16:30 PM »
http://wisconsinsportsblogs.blogspot.com/2008/07/i-need-my-teams-players-to-hate-all.html

About what I expect.
I don't think many people would be surprised by that at all.  I kind of expect those players to have a mutual respect for each other off the field.  It's like all good rivalries...the fans hate the other team's players and the other team's fans and on the field it can get heated, but off the field and after the games there is, in most cases, a mutual respect.  But if it makes you feel better, then congratulations, the Brewers players think the Cubs players are nice guys.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #383 on: July 18, 2008, 02:31:17 PM »
I was referring to the actual thought that players have to hate each other. And then the comments after the jump.

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #384 on: July 18, 2008, 02:33:21 PM »

Asked if he thought Gallardo would pitch again in 2008, general manager Doug Melvin said, "I guess it would be a bonus if we got him. It would be a nice bonus."

0% Chance of him pitching for the Brew Crew this year.
"We have the blues on the run!"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #385 on: July 19, 2008, 01:08:03 PM »
I'm right here, are as many Cub fans. I'm glad Milwaukee finally decided to play with the big dogs and sign someone. I am happy that the Brewers realize this is their last chance for a run with this roster for the next 2-3 years, too bad it has come with the Cubs and Cardinals playing extremely well.

Myself, along with many experts will agree the Brewers just got a whole lot better. However, the Brewers are still not the better team. 1-3 Starters the Brewers are better. Pitchers 1-10, it's still the Cubs. Milwaukee has a great playoff threat at 1-2.

Not to mention the all-around superior and far deeper offense that has not been relying on streaky performances and solo home runs, the Cubs are still sitting good. I'm sure Jim Hendry will also cash in some of the farm system and get us a 1-2 starter before the trade deadline. I hope it's Rich Harden as we can pick up his $7 Million option at the end of season, and his stuff has been as good if not better than CC this year when healthy. Z-Harden-Dempster, I'll take over CC-Sheets-Suppan/Parra.

Also, reinko, let's not talk about Z or Wood's injuries. We all know Ben Sheets will not finish this season without another DL stint, which is why the CC trade had to be made. Unlike the Cubs, the Brewers season hinges on their 'ace' Ben Sheets.

So my friend, no medication is needed, no savior is needed, we are just awaiting another piece.
You make it sound like the Cubs are 15 games up in the Division.  Last time I checked (this morning, barring some huge typo) it's a 4 game division lead.  If they are that far superior and more deep with their offense, their 1-3 and 1-10 pitchers are all better than the Brewers, how come it's still a tight race?  We sure don't have an advantage in managing, so that should make an even bigger spread.  Something must be happening.  And you seriously would take Z-Harden-Dumpster over Sheets-Sabathia-Parra?  I think we've seen that CC, when given run support, is one of the top 5 starters in the major leagues.  That's why when all the Cubs fans were pointing out his 6-8 record with Cleveland I just laughed because it shows how little they look into things seeing has in 11 of his 18 starts there he got 2 runs or less scored for him.  Sheets and Z are a push, and to say either 1 is clearly better is just flat out ignorant.  Sabathia is definitely better than Harden as we have seen with his time with the Brewers (he also has a home run and a double with them, to go with the home run he hit with the Indians in inter-league play).  Dumpster and Parra are pretty even as well.  I'll take our 1-3 starters any day of the week.  I'll take your bullpen any day of the week.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American
« Reply #386 on: July 21, 2008, 09:10:50 AM »
Shocking news!  Kerry Wood to the DL

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3498058

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #387 on: July 21, 2008, 09:22:29 AM »
It would  be just to open a roster spot.  He hasn't seen game time since the 11th meaning he would be back by thursday or friday.  So not a big deal really.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:24:19 AM by robmufan »

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #388 on: July 21, 2008, 09:29:37 AM »
Shocking news!  Kerry Wood to the DL

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3498058

Classy....does that make you happy?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #389 on: July 21, 2008, 10:00:03 AM »
Does it personally make me happy that Kerry Wood has a blister on his right hand?  Not really. 

But if you read the previous debate about who is more injury-prone, Woods or Sheets, then in the middle of said debate Woods develops a boo-boo on his hand and his forced out.  That gives me a chuckle.

And '94 get off the high horse. Don't tell me you have never felt a little enjoyment when you hear of an injury to a player on a rival team. 

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #390 on: July 21, 2008, 10:25:23 AM »
I believe it was sheets last year that took a small DL stint because of a blister.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #391 on: July 21, 2008, 11:25:13 AM »
I believe it was sheets last year that took a small DL stint because of a blister.
Yup, but that was last year and this is now.  Not to mention we finally have someone to give Rickie Weeks a scare, so maybe we'll get some guys on base for Braun and Fielder for once.  And this race is down to 3 games...

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #392 on: July 21, 2008, 11:34:18 AM »
Does it personally make me happy that Kerry Wood has a blister on his right hand?  Not really. 

But if you read the previous debate about who is more injury-prone, Woods or Sheets, then in the middle of said debate Woods develops a boo-boo on his hand and his forced out.  That gives me a chuckle.

And '94 get off the high horse. Don't tell me you have never felt a little enjoyment when you hear of an injury to a player on a rival team. 

karma is a bitch...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #393 on: July 21, 2008, 12:17:40 PM »
Yup, but that was last year and this is now.  Not to mention we finally have someone to give Rickie Weeks a scare, so maybe we'll get some guys on base for Braun and Fielder for once.  And this race is down to 3 games...

Remember the last time our lead was that slim? Oh yeah, you dropped down to six games back. And since you're playing STL, it'll happen.

My favorite part of this 'race' is that for Brewers fans this is it, no more racing after this season. The Cubs will simply reload next year, and with new owners.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #394 on: July 21, 2008, 12:50:59 PM »
Remember the last time our lead was that slim? Oh yeah, you dropped down to six games back. And since you're playing STL, it'll happen.

My favorite part of this 'race' is that for Brewers fans this is it, no more racing after this season. The Cubs will simply reload next year, and with new owners.
Yeah maybe next year is your year...wait, I think you've been saying that for 100 years now.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #395 on: July 21, 2008, 01:00:08 PM »
PTM,

Wadesworld is correct, this is the brewers year...to have back to back winning seasons!!

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #396 on: July 21, 2008, 01:10:41 PM »
Yeah maybe next year is your year...wait, I think you've been saying that for 100 years now.
Well, unless marqptm is 101 years old, I doubt he's been saying anything for 100 years now.  Last I checked, the Pilots, er, Brewers don't have too many World Championship banners hanging either.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #397 on: July 21, 2008, 01:17:20 PM »
PTM,

Wadesworld is correct, this is the brewers year...to have back to back winning seasons!!

Accurate.  And it's the Cubs year to win back-to-back World Series?  Not quite.  What I personally find funny when PTM says "The Cubs will simply reload next year, and with new owners," usually when people talk about a team just "reloading" they are talking about a team that continually reaches the "promised land" for that sport.  For college basketball, it's the Final Four.  For college football, it's a BCS Bowl.  For the NFL, it's the Super Bowl.  For the NBA, it's the NBA Finals.  For the MLB, it's...the NLDS?  Congratulations Cubs fans, keep "reloading" into the NLDS (which you don't even make every year, so how is that even reloading?)  Does anybody honestly say "Wow, ______ makes the NLDS or ALDS year after year, they just reload."?  Teams that I would consider to "reload" would be UCLA basketball and LSU, USC, and Ohio State football.

I also think it's funny that the Cubs fans ALWAYS believe it's "their year," and when "their year" ends early, "next year is our year."  It must suck to never have your expectations lived up to.  At least Brewers fans realize when their team has no shot at a World Series and won't the next year.  This is the first year I've truly believed that the Brewers will make the Playoffs, and I think a lot of Brewers fans would agree.  We don't get excited about big leads in the division in June (like some other fans of the division do...) because we realize that it's less than half way into the season and a lot can change.  I even said last year that we'd give it up because we always do, but this year we finally made a couple trades that will hopefully put us over that hill that we haven't been able to get over.  I wish Cubs fan could be realistic too, it'd save them a lot of heartache.

But go ahead, keep "reloading" into the NLDS (that you don't even make it to annually, so I'm not sure how that's even reloading).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 01:20:02 PM by wadesworld »

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #398 on: July 21, 2008, 01:20:33 PM »
Its funny wadesworld...you keep talking about making it to the playoffs, I wonder your age because I know the last time I heard about the crew making the playoffs it was 4 years before I was born. 

For now stick to the regular season...something that at least every team can play in!

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #399 on: July 21, 2008, 01:22:25 PM »
The Brewers may lose both Sheets and Sabathia but they will also get Gallardo back.  Its tough to predict he is going to be an ace but he has shown a lot of promise.  

Also, 4 of the Cubs best position players (Lee, Ramirez, Soriano, and Fukodome) are all on the wrong side of 30.  Chances are they all prolly have a couple productive years left in them but it wouldn't be surprising to start to see declines out of these guys.

The Brewers still have a lot of young talent (Braun, Hart, Hardy, Parra, Gallardo, Fielder (at least for now)) plus a pretty talented farm system that should continue to feed the major league team.

The cards also have a lot of good young players as well (Pujols, Wainwright, Ludwick, Ankiel, Molina).  

I think the central is going to be a 3 team race for the next few years unless the other teams can make a turnaround.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 01:24:32 PM by jmayer1 »

feedback