collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461289 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: The Offical Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #300 on: June 18, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »
You honestly think the Brewers are more talented than the Cubs?
Chyeeeeeeeeeessssssss
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #301 on: June 18, 2008, 12:29:06 AM »
I just want to point out how much the brewers were overachieving going back to last years record.  They start 25-11, a great start!!!  Since then, not including Jun. 17, they are 94-101.
I just want to point out that the Cubs have, in essence, an equal winning percentage in the playoffs as the Brewers since their 25-11 start last year.  Since then, not including Jun. 17, they are 0-3 in the playoffs, or a 0.000 winning percentage, and the Brewers are 0-0, or ----- in the playoffs :).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #302 on: June 18, 2008, 12:31:38 AM »
don't triple post like this... just edit your first post...

I'm a Brewer fan, and I find it annoying.   ;D
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #303 on: June 18, 2008, 12:32:11 AM »
I've come to the realization, through this topic and through talking person to person with others, that it is impossible to have a legitimate conversation about Chicago sports with a Chicago sports fan, ESPECIALLY a Chicago Cubs fan...so I have decided to make this a big joke, have some fun.

FIBs for sure...

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #304 on: June 18, 2008, 02:48:30 AM »
I was explaining that yes... having an experienced manager helps, but isn't a guarantee... I used Joe Torre, because since 2001ish, what has he done with easily the "best" team in baseball... I knew he managed before the Yankees, you totally missed what I was explaining in that case.

Who is having a career year for the Cubs besides Dempster?

Yes we all knew before the season Kerry Wood would be a lights out closer...

we knew Ryan Theriot would be batting .320ish

Geovany Soto, yes, he was easily penciled in as one of the best catchers in the league... give me a break RJax55, get off your Cubs horse and look at the numbers some of these role players for the Cubs are putting up.  Just about everyone is having career years up till this point.

The Cubs are made of veteran players... who aren't use to a pennant race any more then Brewers players are. 

When has Soriano been in a pennant race besides last year, and when he was a rookie with the Yankees(which doesn't count because of the team he was on)

How about Zambrano, or Fukudome, or Theriot, or Soto, or Pie, or Lilly

Who the hell on the Cubs have been in a pennant race besides Kerry Wood and Derrick Lee... I am counting out last year, since then all of the Brewers players would also be "veteran" enough in these pennant races.

looking back, yeah, your right RJax55... the Cubs aren't overachieving, they just planned on all having amazing seasons at one time, they are on pace for way over 100 wins, not overachieving at all...  Can I ask a question, where can I purchase these blue and red sunglasses you're sporting?

And hey, do you have an extra Japanese headband for me, that's a much better novelty headgear to wear at a baseball stadium over the crowns you see Brewer fans wearing.  The only difference is you only see children under the age of 12 wearing crowns... you see grown men wearing these Japanese headbands

I usually stay out of these things, but I'll take a stab at this one...

Dempster is having a career year for sure.  He's been pitching great.  However, I do not think he will keep up at this pace.  Solid, but not like this.

Kerry Wood, when healthy, has pretty much always been lights out.  A 1.15 K/9 for your career is pretty damn good when you consider that Nolan Ryan's career K/9 is 1.06.  When a guy like Wood can throw a heater in the mid-90s with a knee buckling slider, it's pretty tough to hit him when you only see him once in the game.  So long as he stays healthy, I don't think anyone who actually pays attention to baseball will be surprised by his numbers as a closer.

Ryan Theriot is hitting the ball pretty well so far this season with a .310 average (although I am getting a bit sick of his throwing errors).  I wouldn't go as far as saying he is having a "career year" because when you are only working on your second full year in the majors, it's difficult to classify that as a "career year."  His numbers last year were actually below his averages in the minors, so he played pretty poorly last year.  He hit .304 in both AAA and AA, so it's clear that he is capable of being a decent, every day SS.  Is he playing above his head?  Yea, I think so.  We can see some evidence of that through his .276 average over the last month.  I definitely think he'll hit .290ish for the season though, and that's only slightly better than his career average.

I'm assuming you don't pay much attention to fantasy baseball either because numerous sources listed Geovany Soto as a sleeper this season.  You must have missed the entire month of September last year when Soto hit .389 with 3 HRs in only 54 ABs.  He's a career .280 hitter in the minors and he's only hitting .288 right now.  Not much of a difference.

Cubs players with playoff experience (prior to 2007): Kerry Wood (1998, 2003), Derrek Lee (2003), Carlos Zambrano (2003), Alfonso Soriano (2001-2003), Aramis Ramirez (2003), Mark DeRosa (2001-2003), Jim Edmonds (2000-2002, 2004-2006), Henry Blanco (2002, 2004), Daryle Ward (1999, 2001), Jason Marquis (2001, 2004-2005), Ted Lilly (2002-2003), Jon Lieber (2004), Bob Howry (2000), Neal Cotts (2005).

That's 14 guys with playoff experience for the Cubs.  You have to be kind of used to a pennant race, especially for guys like Soriano, DeRosa (Braves), Edmonds (Cardinals), Blanco (Braves), Marquis (Cardinals).  Also, I didn't know that just because you were a Yankee that your playoff experience doesn't count.  Fukudome also went to the playoffs a few times in Japan if you'd like to count that.

The Brewers have 10 players with playoff experience (Kendall, Cameron, Kapler, Counsell, Branyan, Suppan, Riske, Gagne, Mota, Tavarez).

Also, if you are going to act like you know what you are talking about, you might as well be right about it.  You mentioned Felix Pie - I forgot - his 64 ABs have made a huge difference for the Cubs this season.  He hasn't gotten an AB since May 11th and won't get one again until September call-ups.

And it's tough to say the Cubs are overachieving when Tom Verducci of Sports Illustrated writes this prior to the season: "The Cubs just might win their division by more games than any other team, especially if they add one more bat."  Oh yea, Verducci also picked the Cubs to go the World Series.

Nevermind the fact that 17 of 19 ESPN contributors also picked the Cubs to win the Central this year.  Three of those contributors also had the Cubs in, or winning, the World Series.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 03:05:00 AM by eaglewarrior08 »

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #305 on: June 18, 2008, 07:12:30 AM »
Since Wadesworld thinks the brewers are "more talented" we are going to go position by position

C- Soto vs Kendall- Maybe 7 years ago Kendall wouldve stood a chance but right now Soto hands down
Advantage: Cubs

1B- DLee vs Prince- Very close matchup, DLee wins by a large margin on defense, Fielder by a slight margin on hitting and youth
Advantage: Push

2B- DeRosa vs Weeks- If youre going purely on talent I guess you have to give a slight nod to Weeks but he hasnt shown his talent at the big league level and DeRosa is a steady player. I think DeRosa is a better player but since we are basing this purely on talents Ill give the edge to Weeks.
Advantage: Brewers

SS- Hardy vs Theriot- Essenentially the same as above

3B- Ramirez vs Hall- This ones not even close, Ramirez wins on all accounts

LF- Soriano vs Braun- Going based on talent Im going with a push but I personally like Braun better than Soriano and think he will end up being the better ball player but its a push talent wise

CF- Johnson/Edmonds vs Cameron- This is a tough one to call but ill give the edge to the Brewers based on the injury history of Edmonds and the fact the Johnson was an idiot last night

RF- Fukudome vs Hart- Fukudome has the fielding by a large margin and I believe hes a better pure hitter, Hart wins the speed by a slim margin

Ace: Sheets vs Zambrano- I would lean towards Zambrano here based on injury history but based on pure talent ill give it a push

2nd Starter: Dempster vs Gallardo- Im going to give this one a push too, although Gallarado will probably turn out to be better.

3rd Starter: Lilly vs Suppan- Im giving the nod to Lilly based on talent alone

4th Starter: Marquis vs Bush- Both suck its a push

5 Starter: Gallager vs Parra- Still too early to tell, both show flashes of brilliance

Setupman 1: Marmol vs Mota- Not even close

Setupman 2: Howry vs McClung: Closer but still cubs

Closer: Wood vs Gagne: Wood is the more talented pitcher, we are not counting injury history in a talent contest

Once I lay it out its closer than i originally thought but the Cubs still get the talent edge based on their pitching staff, I think a lot of the cubs are better overall players than the corresponding Brewers but based just on talent its a much closer match.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #306 on: June 18, 2008, 08:33:41 AM »
Spartan, it doesn't matter that the Cubs are more talented, they just buy all their players anyway.

I love taking the rebuttal argument out of the Brewers fans mouth.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #307 on: June 18, 2008, 09:02:12 AM »
Since Wadesworld thinks the brewers are "more talented" we are going to go position by position

C- Soto vs Kendall- Maybe 7 years ago Kendall wouldve stood a chance but right now Soto hands down

1B- DLee vs Prince- Very close matchup, DLee wins by a large margin on defense, Fielder by a slight margin on hitting and youth

2B- DeRosa vs Weeks- If youre going purely on talent I guess you have to give a slight nod to Weeks but he hasnt shown his talent at the big league level and DeRosa is a steady player. I think DeRosa is a better player but since we are basing this purely on talents Ill give the edge to Weeks.

SS- Hardy vs Theriot- Essenentially the same as above

3B- Ramirez vs Hall- This ones not even close, Ramirez wins on all accounts

LF- Soriano vs Braun- Going based on talent Im going with a push but I personally like Braun better than Soriano and think he will end up being the better ball player but its a push talent wise

CF- Johnson/Edmonds vs Cameron- This is a tough one to call but ill give the edge to the Brewers based on the injury history of Edmonds and the fact the Johnson was an idiot last night

RF- Fukudome vs Hart- Fukudome has the fielding by a large margin and I believe hes a better pure hitter, Hart wins the speed by a slim margin

Ace: Sheets vs Zambrano- I would lean towards Zambrano here based on injury history but based on pure talent ill give it a push

2nd Starter: Dempster vs Gallardo- Im going to give this one a push too, although Gallarado will probably turn out to be better.

3rd Starter: Lilly vs Suppan- Im giving the nod to Lilly based on talent alone

4th Starter: Marquis vs Bush- Both suck its a push

5 Starter: Gallager vs Parra- Still too early to tell, both show flashes of brilliance

Setupman 1: Marmol vs Mota- Not even close

Setupman 2: Howry vs McClung: Closer but still cubs

Closer: Wood vs Gagne: Wood is the more talented pitcher, we are not counting injury history in a talent contest

Once I lay it out its closer than i originally thought but the Cubs still get the talent edge based on their pitching staff, I think a lot of the cubs are better overall players than the corresponding Brewers but based just on talent its a much closer match.
Exactly, based on talent it's much closer, yet the Cubs are way ahead in the division.  It's all management, and IF (which they won't, because they're afraid to for whatever reason) Ned Yost is fired, the Brewers will be MUCH better off.  Also I have to disagree with Soriano vs. Braun being a push, Soriano's talented and a great player, but I'm not sure there's any player I'd rather have locked up for 8 years than Ryan Braun right now.  Also with Gallardo vs. Dempster I think Gallardo has a lot more talent but he's been injured so it hasn't been seen all that much this year (but based on talent alone I'd give that one to the Brewers).  I have to be honest and say I haven't seen Gallager but Parra has a ton of talent and has been putting it all together in his past 5 or so starts.  I would agree that your set-up men are much better than ours.  We now have Soloman Torres closing for us, and he is very talented but that still goes to Wood definitely.  Gagne has no talent since he's been off the 'roids.

Overall the big difference is management.  Talent-wise these teams are very close...check the standings and that's not the case.  I think we'll close the game and make it respectable but even I'm penciling in the Cubs as the Central Division champs.  I don't think there's any reason we shouldn't win the Wild Card, as I can't see the Cardinals (especially with Pujols out to injury for some time) and the Marlins staying ahead of us.  If the Mets get hot they for sure could beat us out but at this point I don't see it happening.  If we have a new manager by the start of next year (and I don't even care who, just NOT Ned Yost), it's a 2 team race for the division that will probably be won within the last 2 weeks of the year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #308 on: June 18, 2008, 09:04:43 AM »
Spartan, it doesn't matter that the Cubs are more talented, they just buy all their players anyway.

I love taking the rebuttal argument out of the Brewers fans mouth.
And that wasn't going to be my rebuttal at all quite honestly.  I don't care if teams buy all their players, that's part of the game.  That might be the worst argument I've ever heard, and only a Cubs fan would think of/say that.  I wish the Brewers knew how to buy SOME of their players, but they're terrible at it (see: Cameron, Suppan, Gagne), but I'm very glad that we have more talent in our farm system/prospects than Felixe Pie, quite honestly.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #309 on: June 18, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »
And that wasn't going to be my rebuttal at all quite honestly.  I don't care if teams buy all their players, that's part of the game.  That might be the worst argument I've ever heard, and only a Cubs fan would think of/say that.  I wish the Brewers knew how to buy SOME of their players, but they're terrible at it (see: Cameron, Suppan, Gagne), but I'm very glad that we have more talent in our farm system/prospects than Felixe Pie, quite honestly.

I think you missed the sarcasm on marqptm's post.....the point of the Cubs payroll is CONSTANTLY pointed out by Brewers fans which is laughable.  Yes, even with their revenue sharing checks received from MLB for the last 10 years the Brewers are terrible at buying players. 

Regarding your comment on the farm system....interesting....Baseball America ranked the Cubs Minor League System at #20 early this year......one spot ahead of the Brewers...and that's after several big ticket trades have depleted the Cubs of some their well-regarded prospects.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #310 on: June 18, 2008, 10:45:02 AM »
I do wish the Brewers had more eye for singing veterans.  Suppan has been decent, but other than that getting a bunch of old, washed-up Mitchell Report players isn't exciting.  Some trades have worked out (getting McClung, Torres both for nothing).  And any fan has would be proud of what the farm system has been able to produce on its own to make the team competitive.  When Sheets or Parra pitches, it's often been the case that 7 of the 9 players in the lineup came from the system.  Gamel and LaPorta will both be up eventually as well.  It's a source of pride to have players brought up that were drafted by the team have so much of a role, though I don't know if it applies to all teams, but even the Yankees like to take note of their home grown players. 

Ranking the farm systems now is kind of moot.  The Brewers were #1 or #2 in that same index for a couple years while Fielder, Weeks, Hart, Hardy, Gallardo, Parra, etc were all coming up.  Plus I think the argument is based on who you turn out, not who you ship to other teams.  Gamel and LaPorta are huge bright sports, and Gamel's rise wasn't really seen until it happened this year.  But other than that they are weak, and sorely lacking pitching.  However, they did just have 6 of the top 68 selections in the draft.

I agree with what player would you rather have locked up for eight years, it would have to be Braun.  Since Braun was called up, he's led the majors in home runs, and I'm pretty sure in RBIs also (thanks to A-Rod's injury).  Soriano played well when he was healthy this year, but Braun has been sensational for over a year now that nobody could pass him up.

As far as other matchups, Soto has been amazing.  The Brewers haven't had a good catcher in ages.  Kendall has done his job, but is another career .300 hitter hitting closer to .250.  Weeks was good for about the first two months he was up; until I see otherwise I'd have to take DeRosa for consistency and versatility over Weeks or Hall.  I'd also call SS a wash.  Hardy has been lackluster besides the fluke first half last year.  He more power, but the Brewers could use someone that gets on base like Theriot.  Overall Fukudome may
be the better player, but the Brewers would be a lot worse off without Hart.  I wish the Brewers had 2 or 3 Corey Harts in the lineup.  He's a good base stealer, has plenty of power, and is near the top of the NL in hitting with runners on.  

I guess my perspective came more from asking the question "would I trade if I could?", not considering contracts and salary.  In that case, I'm sure even Brewers fans would disagree, but as a Brewers fan I'd rather have Soto over Kendall, DeRosa over Weeks, Theriot over Hardy, Ramirez over Hall, and Marmol over anyone in the Brewer bullpen.  Others are either indifferent or I'd prefer the Brewer.  Though if you can mix and match rotations, I'd obviously take Zambrano and Dempster.

If it's this year, I'll take the rental on Dempster, though if he returns to form Gallardo is the future ace.  I agree that the whole rotations are basically a wash.  Suppan and Lilly and Parra and Gallager will put up similar numbers, and in each case I'd side with having the lefty.  McClung is kind of an incomplete.  He's not going back to the bullpen anytime soon, and based on how he's been as a starter he has much more value than a middle reliever but hasn't had enough time to show himself as a starter.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:55:38 AM by chapman »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #311 on: June 18, 2008, 12:38:44 PM »
Regarding your comment on the farm system....interesting....Baseball America ranked the Cubs Minor League System at #20 early this year......one spot ahead of the Brewers...and that's after several big ticket trades have depleted the Cubs of some their well-regarded prospects.
So all of your current All-Stars came up through the Chicago Cubs system I suppose.  Aramis Ramirez, Derrick Lee, Jim Edmonds, Koske Fukudome, and Alfonso Soriano, I see they went through the Cubs farm system.  Oh, they don't?  Hmm, weird, Ben Sheets, Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, Yovanni Gallardo, Corey Hart, Rickie Weeks, Manny Parra, and JJ Hardy, all went through the Brewers farm system.  And I can guarantee you that we have 3 players in our farm system that are better than any 3 players you have in yours.

But I guess you have brought up better players through your farm system than the Brewers have recently...interesting how well the Cubs have done through their farm system, well above them Brewers

FIBs
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 12:42:40 PM by wadesworld »

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #312 on: June 18, 2008, 12:43:17 PM »
So all of your current All-Stars came up through the Chicago Cubs system I suppose.  Aramis Ramirez, Derrick Lee, Jim Edmonds, Koske Fukudome, and Alfonso Soriano, I see they went through the Cubs farm system.  Oh, they don't?  Hmm, weird, Prince Fielder, Rickie Weeks, Yovanni Gallardo, Manny Parra, Ryan Braun, JJ Hardy, and Corey Hart all went through the Brewers farm system.  And I can guarantee you that we have 3 players in our farm system that are better than any 3 players you have in yours.

But I guess you have brought up better players through your farm system than the Brewers have recently...interesting how well the Cubs have done through their farm system, well above them Brewers

FIBs

Face wadesworld, until the brewers do something as good as just making the playoffs, its tough to defend your team!

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #313 on: June 18, 2008, 01:01:30 PM »
If we are going by "what have you done for me lately" method like you suggest robmufan... then there is no way you can defend the Cubs... being swept in the playoffs is quite embarrassing... and that whole 100 year drought isn't the greatest thing to be known by.

eaglewarrior08...  Soto was a sleeper, however I think we can all agree that we didn't expect him to hit like he has, he was suppose to be good, not like this... the same went for Braun when he came up last year for the Brewers, or Gallardo last year... they were expected to be good, not all-star caliber.  Kerry Wood, although has some good stuff, hasn't pitched in the majors in quite a few years, how were we to know he still had his stuff pitching, lots of times after numerous surgeries on someone's arm, they lose a lot of their pitch effectiveness.  I through in Pie because I despise that man, even if he doesn't play, he reminds me of Pierre, and I hate that man too, just a personal thing, I know he rarely plays.

As for the sportswriters picking the Cubs this year, I don't care who the sportswriters pick.  I knew the Cubs were the favorite to win the NL Central, not to have the best record in baseball.  If we went by everything sportswriters said, this sports world would be completely different.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #314 on: June 18, 2008, 01:03:37 PM »
Face wadesworld, until the brewers do something as good as just making the playoffs, its tough to defend your team!
What does making the playoffs have to do with how well a farm system has been developed?  Sweet how when I prove my point you just go "make the playoffs."  Typical FIB.

Also, congratulations, now make the World Series for the first time in a deca...scratch that, century.

You all act like you have 6 world series rings in the last 10 years.  You aren't the Yankees.  You make the playoffs and then embarrass yourselves.

Great farm system, though...

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #315 on: June 18, 2008, 01:11:20 PM »

You won just as many playoff games as we did last year... And one less World Series in the last 100.  Eventually, the Cubs might actually play a road series, and will come back down to earth.  And I'll enjoy every moment of it.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #316 on: June 18, 2008, 01:16:31 PM »
Wow Wadesworld... hes was not saying that the cubs had a lot of homegrown talent on their roster, he actually commended the Brewers for bring up talent through their system! He was just saying that currently (with the players in the system RIGHT NOW) the Cubs have a higher ranked farm system according to Baseball America, one of the most respected baseball magazines in the country. Way to pick out only what was convienent.

Oh and by the way, the Yankees have also embaressed themselves in the playoffs in the last 5 years, they have 0 rings in the time period

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #317 on: June 18, 2008, 01:25:15 PM »
Wow Wadesworld... hes was not saying that the cubs had a lot of homegrown talent on their roster, he actually commended the Brewers for bring up talent through their system! He was just saying that currently (with the players in the system RIGHT NOW) the Cubs have a higher ranked farm system according to Baseball America, one of the most respected baseball magazines in the country. Way to pick out only what was convienent.

Oh and by the way, the Yankees have also embaressed themselves in the playoffs in the last 5 years, they have 0 rings in the time period
The funny thing is HE originally picked out what was convenient, as I originally said that our farm system has been better than the Cubs recently and that the Cubs have been better at free agent signings, so then he brought up just the current farm systems, instead of the recent products that have come up to the major leagues.  Again, good try to curve the argument and "pick out only what was convENIENT.

I don't really care about the Yankees, I hate them, love the Bo Sox, but the point was, you have NO RINGS (or even World Series APPEARANCES) in 20 TIMES the 5 years that the Yankees have no rings, so congratulations.  Of course you guys have been better off than the Yankees have as well.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #318 on: June 18, 2008, 01:30:15 PM »

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #319 on: June 18, 2008, 02:23:24 PM »
someone is trying to blow off steam of a sunken season!!  Was the team a little overrated this year wadesworld?  Expectations too high?

At least you can get excited...Braun is #4 in all-star voting!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #320 on: June 18, 2008, 02:37:25 PM »
So all of your current All-Stars came up through the Chicago Cubs system I suppose.  Aramis Ramirez, Derrick Lee, Jim Edmonds, Koske Fukudome, and Alfonso Soriano, I see they went through the Cubs farm system.  Oh, they don't?  Hmm, weird, Ben Sheets, Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, Yovanni Gallardo, Corey Hart, Rickie Weeks, Manny Parra, and JJ Hardy, all went through the Brewers farm system.  And I can guarantee you that we have 3 players in our farm system that are better than any 3 players you have in yours.

FIBs

Dude...first of all....deep breath.  Also, take it easy on the FIB thing...that's as clever as us calling you a cheesehead...probably less clever actually.

Since when does it matter if a team's All-Stars all have come up through their farm system?!  Who cares.  While there's no denying Sheets, Fielder and Braun have perennial All-Star potential....I have appeared in the same amount of All-Star games as Braun, Gallardo, Hart, Weeks and Parra combined.  

FWIW, It appears that Wood, Zambrano and Soto (Marmol deserves to be there also) are all headed to the NL All-Star squad (amongst others) barring injury or late voting changes...all came from the Cubs system.

Again, though...who cares?!  It's cute that the Brewers fans are proud of their build-your-own club....and it was nice to see the Brewers finally putting some of that MLB revenue sharing money to work by locking up Braun rather than wasting it on a washed-up closer.

The whole point is when your team is worth over $640M it's probably a good idea to go out and sign some big names that are proven and give you a good chance to win....that people actually would care to see....I'm not just talking those within a 20 mile radius of Wrigley Field.  

Please don't talk about how good the 2008 Brewers draft was now....

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 02:54:37 PM by MarquetteFan94 »

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #321 on: June 18, 2008, 02:44:56 PM »
The funny thing is HE originally picked out what was convenient, as I originally said that our farm system has been better than the Cubs recently and that the Cubs have been better at free agent signings, so then he brought up just the current farm systems, instead of the recent products that have come up to the major leagues.  Again, good try to curve the argument and "pick out only what was convENIENT.

I don't really care about the Yankees, I hate them, love the Bo Sox, but the point was, you have NO RINGS (or even World Series APPEARANCES) in 20 TIMES the 5 years that the Yankees have no rings, so congratulations.  Of course you guys have been better off than the Yankees have as well.

Actually you were very clearly stating that you were very pleased with the fact that the current Brewers farm system was in better shape than the Cubs here's your quote:

"but I'm very glad that we have more talent in our farm system/prospects than Felixe Pie, quite honestly."

Baseball America seems to disagree.  Again, why are we talking about Farm Systems?  The difference is the Cubs have the money to make moves to go get proven ballplayers.....that costs prospects...it's really not that difficult. 

I'm guessing there are a few Brewers fans that would absolutely love it if they went out and signed arguably the two biggest names in the market the last two years in Soriano and Fukudome....maybe not.

Compare it to signing Dominic James out of high school versus Tommy Brice developing into a scholarship PG by the time he's a Senior...I'm funny.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 02:58:40 PM by MarquetteFan94 »

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #322 on: June 18, 2008, 02:50:19 PM »
You won just as many playoff games as we did last year... And one less World Series in the last 100.  Eventually, the Cubs might actually play a road series, and will come back down to earth.  And I'll enjoy every moment of it.

Hilarious.....I guess you'd prefer to win a few in the NIT than lose in the first round of the NCAA also, right?  I'm going to go out on a limb and say there were a handful of Brewers fans that would've traded a sweep at the hand of the Diamondbacks for an end to your 25 year playoff drought?

Maybe not....

As far as the Cubs going on the road....there are only 5 teams in baseball with winning road records....2 games below .500 is tolerable....especially with the best home record in baseball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #323 on: June 18, 2008, 02:54:34 PM »
someone is trying to blow off steam of a sunken season!!  Was the team a little overrated this year wadesworld?  Expectations too high?

At least you can get excited...Braun is #4 in all-star voting!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Blowing off steam?  Hardly, more like having fun because I realizes it's not possible to have a legitimate conversation about the Cubs because somehow, without even making a World Series in a century, their fans view them as the premier baseball franchise in the world.  At least when the Brewers fail it's blamed on the Brewers organization, not a fan who caught a foul ball that wouldn't have even been caught by their player (not to mention it was 1 pitch in a 7 game series...)  A sunken season?  Really?  We've been hit with injuries since the 2nd week of the season and we're 4 games above .500 with the worst manager in baseball and are 4 games out of the Wild Card in JUNE!  Already a sunken season?  Wow.  What expectations?  Were we not supposed to take 3rd, behind the REDS this season?!  There were no high expectations this year.

And what IS exciting is that we locked up a player for 8 years who since coming up to the big leagues has been a top 5 player.  So yes, WOOOOOOOOOO

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #324 on: June 18, 2008, 02:57:47 PM »
Dude...first of all....deep breath.  Also, take it easy on the FIB thing...that's as clever as us calling you a cheesehead...probably less clever actually.

Since when does it matter if a team's All-Stars all have come up through their farm system?!  Who cares.  While there's no denying Sheets, Fielder and Braun have perennial All-Star potential....I have appeared in the same amount of All-Star games as Braun, Gallardo, Hart, Weeks and Parra combined.  

FWIW, It appears that Wood, Zambrano and Soto (Marmol deserves to be there also) are all headed to the NL All-Star squad (amongst others) barring injury or late voting changes...all came from the Cubs system.

Again, though...who cares?!  It's cute that the Brewers fans are proud of their build-your-own club....and it was nice to see the Brewers finally putting some of that MLB revenue sharing money to work by locking up Braun rather than wasting it on a washed-up closer.

The whole point is when your team is worth over $640M it's probably a good idea to go out and sign some big names that are proven and give you a good chance to win....that people actually would care to see....I'm not just talking those within a 20 mile radius of Wrigley Field.  

Please don't talk about how good the 2008 Brewers draft was now....

Go ahead, call me a cheesehead.  FIB might not be clever, but at least it means something.  Cheesehead?  Really?  Also why are you on a Marquette forum then...obviously you have some sort of cheesehead in you to root for a Wisconsin team.  Why do all Chicago kids come up to Marquette for college and then complain CONSTANTLY about how much Wisconsin sucks.  GO TO SCHOOL IN ILLINOIS THEN, PLEASE!  If it sucks so bad don't come here for school