collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461322 times)

Wareagle

• Team Captain
Re: The Offical Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #275 on: May 12, 2008, 11:11:46 AM »
I found out that if you are not a brewers fan and are wearing anything for the away team, right field and especially the beerpeen are not good places to sit. As soon as I sat down friday night in the beerpen, guys two rows behind me start to rip on me. I dont mind words, but then they started to yell out things like cute one and queer, etc. It was only the second inning and i believe the game was still 1-0. these guys concentrated more on me than the game. they were throwing peanut shells at me, well i should say trying to, they ended up hitting the people between us or the people next to me more than they hit me. finally they threw a hotdog wrapper at me getting ketchup and mustard all over the back of my jersey. i didnt realize this until the lady behind me, between me adn this jackass, told me and she actually went and got the usher. The guy (drunk, late 20's early 30's) left for about 3 innings or so. He came back and he and his buddies tried to start the wave for about 2 innings straight, never making it any further than a section or two over. In all, these guys spent more time at the game heckling and trying to start the wave more than they actually watched it. That is sad. I even had brewers fans so to me that they were embarrassed to be fans of the same time as this d bag. this experience and the last time i was in right field have officially put miller park a couple of notches down on stadiums that I enjoy going to. I guess that the biggest pretty boys must always sit in right field.

anyway, heres to that jackass.

That's my mistake, when I answered the question I assumed you were a Brewers fan (I don't read this thread too much, so I don't know some people's favorite teams).  There's no defending that type of behavior, which has become more frequent from Brewers fans as more have started to jump on the bandwagon over the past few years.  If you are a fan of the opposing team, the best seats to sit in are the ones behind home plate.  They have the most ushers who can step in and stop that kind of behavior. 

I remember the right field bleachers being cleared when they play the Cubs, but until your post, the games with the Cardinals have always tended to be more good-natured affairs.  That said, sorry on behalf of a Brewers fan.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #276 on: May 19, 2008, 04:23:58 PM »
So how about the abortion of a season the Brewers are putting up!?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #277 on: June 16, 2008, 05:22:40 PM »
I'm not even going to read this whole thing because I know exactly how the argument will go, as it always goes the same way.  The Cubs fans will naturally think they are so far superior to the whole rest of the MLB (with all of the World Series appearances they make...) and the Brewers fans will just talk about how they are up and coming.  Here is my take on it.  The Cubs will be better ONLY because 1. NED YOST - if the Brewers fire him they become the best team in the Central...he SINGLE HANDEDLY cost the Brewers the division last year and is doing it again this year, and there is no arguing that, and 2. injuries to 1 of our 2 aces for long periods of time (see: Gallardo this year, Sheets last year).  If the Brewers can be 2 games away from winning the division with Yost as a manager and an ace out for 1/2 the year it's pretty clear they could do some damage with a full roster and a new manager.

As for the Cubs, they will continue to make the playoffs as a result of how bad the rest of the division is and then get embarrassed in the playoffs (whether it's getting swept or blaming other people for the losses).  Moises Alou admitted that had Bartman not touched the ball he would still not have caught that foul ball (not to mention the fact that the Cubs still blew a lead, and then a series, after that play...people make it out to be 1 play in the whole best of 7 series, Bartman or Alou catching it...ONE play in SEVEN games).  At least he can admit the truth...can Cubs fans?  OF COURSE NOT!  There's ALWAYS an excuse and next year is ALWAYS the year for them to "break the curse."  At least Milwaukee knows a bad team when they see one and can admit they aren't good when they're not.

Put either the Brewers or the Cubs in any division in the AL and they finish no better than 3rd place, but if you were to debate that with a Cubs fan they'd tell you they'd win over 100 games.  FIBs...

P.S. I hope Zambrano can lower his caffeine intake before he has a heart attack on the mound, I want to see him punch another catcher after a wild pitch gets by him before he dies.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 05:26:08 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUAlum99

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #278 on: June 16, 2008, 08:49:20 PM »
So how about the abortion of a season the Brewers are putting up!?
Not sure I'd call it an "abortion". 

Two things:
1) I'm pretty sure as a Chubs fan you weren't expecting to be 20 games over .500 at this point in the season.  We're 8.5 games back (as of Mon) and you're 20 games over .500.  With that many wins, shouldn't you be up further than you are?  The Chubs have 9 losses at home - the Brewers are responsible for 4 of those losses.  I'm not saying we're going to catch you (because I've pretty much given up all hope for the division), but those are interesting numbers, indeed.
2) The Brewers have played the toughest schedule in the league so far.  We've also had some major injury issues (Gallardo, Hardy, Weeks, Gagne, Riske).  No excuses, as all teams go through this and all teams play the same schedule, but we're still 3 games over .500 and only 8.5 back of the hottest team in the majors with the schedule and injuries stacked against us.  Our schedule eases in the second half, the Chubs schedule gets a little tougher.  Maybe things will even out.

All told, the Cardinals aren't going away.  Maybe they surprise both of us and pull out the division?
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because warriors are what we really are."  - Wesley Matthews

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #279 on: June 16, 2008, 10:27:13 PM »
Put either the Brewers or the Cubs in any division in the AL and they finish no better than 3rd place, but if you were to debate that with a Cubs fan they'd tell you they'd win over 100 games.  FIBs...

Yea youre right they wouldnt finish better than third in any AL Division  ::) They are ony 20 games over .500, 18-5 against the NL West and 7-4 against he NL East... both better than against the central so they really are winning because they are part of the "worst division"

I gurantee you the Cubs would not be in 3rd place in the AL West and AL Central

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #280 on: June 16, 2008, 11:04:07 PM »
Yea youre right they wouldnt finish better than third in any AL Division  ::) They are ony 20 games over .500, 18-5 against the NL West and 7-4 against he NL East... both better than against the central so they really are winning because they are part of the "worst division"

I gurantee you the Cubs would not be in 3rd place in the AL West and AL Central
Like I said, typical Cubs fan.  The NL is weak as a whole.  Yes, there are a couple good teams.  It's like the NBA.  The 9th best team in the Western Conference was better than the 3rd best team in the Eastern Conference.  That's how the NL vs. AL is.  Right now the Cubs may be ahead of these teams, but if they were in the same division as the White Sox and Tigers (yes, the Tigers) or as the Athletics and the Angels they would be in 3rd place, and 4th if they were in the same division as the Rays, Red Sox, and the Yankees.

Cubs fans (and all Chicago sports fans for any sports team) are all the same and completely predictable.  If you get swept in the first round of the playoffs in the NL you wouldn't make it to the playoffs in the AL.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #281 on: June 16, 2008, 11:08:30 PM »
Also, what is the Cubs record against teams with winning records?  Hint: They have won a total of 2 series against teams with winning records this year.

Also, what is the Cubs record against the Brewers?  I'll answer that since I know you'll make up some stupid excuse: 2-4 (0-2 in series)  P.S. All 6 games were at home.

Yeah, you're good against the good teams...

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #282 on: June 16, 2008, 11:26:50 PM »
Also, what is the Cubs record against teams with winning records?  Hint: They have won a total of 2 series against teams with winning records this year.

Also, what is the Cubs record against the Brewers?  I'll answer that since I know you'll make up some stupid excuse: 2-4 (0-2 in series)  P.S. All 6 games were at home.

Yeah, you're good against the good teams...

Sweet deal, when you miss the playoffs again, but beat the cubs in each series you play them...you can spend your time designing a patch to put under the winning season patch that should have been put on this year!

I agree Ned Yost is your problem, but also look at part of your lineup to start the season.  Weeks hit under .200 for the longest time, that doesn't help a "contender".  It was also funny how when offensive power house jason kendall slowed down, so did the crew! 

I would also like to know how you plan on replacing the production of prince fielder, and the prospects you will give up to make a wild card run this year?

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #283 on: June 16, 2008, 11:38:49 PM »
Yes Cub fans, your team is doing great, however your team is up just about the same number of games as the Brewers were last year, still a long time left in the season.  Your schedule has been pretty easy with a lot of home games, let everything even out, and then you can pencil in the post-season.  Just ask us Brewer fans, I was lining up for post-season tickets last year at this time, we all know how that ended.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #284 on: June 17, 2008, 12:02:22 AM »
Sweet deal, when you miss the playoffs again, but beat the cubs in each series you play them...you can spend your time designing a patch to put under the winning season patch that should have been put on this year!

I agree Ned Yost is your problem, but also look at part of your lineup to start the season.  Weeks hit under .200 for the longest time, that doesn't help a "contender".  It was also funny how when offensive power house jason kendall slowed down, so did the crew! 

I would also like to know how you plan on replacing the production of prince fielder, and the prospects you will give up to make a wild card run this year?
Like I said, if we fire Ned Yost while the Wild Card is still in reach we will win the Wild Card (only St. Louis and Florida are ahead of us for the Wild Card, and I'm still not a believer in them).  But the Brewers won't fire Yost for whatever reason, so I guess I will agree with you that we won't be in the playoffs.  I think the division is too far out of reach already, so congratulations, you won the division.  Let's see if you can make it to the World Series for the first time in...100 years.  Or maybe you'll get swept again.

That part of the lineup issue is Yost's fault.  He puts Weeks, and half of the rest of the team, in a position to fail.  You really think Weeks is a leadoff hitter, and hits under .200 if he's out of the leadoff spot?  I would completely disagree.  In fact, if he gets healthy and comes back hitting in the 5 hole, where he SHOULD be, I would be willing to put money on him being between .275 and .300 for the rest of the year (not his overall average with it so low this far into the season), with a lot of RBIs behind Braun and Prince.  Weeks can rake the first pitch fastballs that he gets, but as a leadoff hitter he can't swing at them, so he gets in an 0-2 hole and his batting average reflects that.  Gwynn Jr. should be starting in CF and leading off...he'll get on base and hit around .300.  You don't need power at the leadoff, and even me, a person who hasn't played baseball competitively in 6 years, knows that, you need a guy who will get on base and steal bases.  Yost has 2 players batting right around .200 in the 1, 2 holes, the 2 hole being a guy who strikes out non-stop.  That's just terrible as a manager when you have Cory Heart and Tony Gwynn Jr. on the team.  If our lineup goes Gwynn Jr., Heart, Braun, Fielder, Weeks, Hall (playing shortstop...JJ Hardy SUCKS balls and is completely OVERRATED defensively...decent but not spectacular like people like to think), Branyan, Kendall, and pitcher we become tons better than with Weeks and Cameron starting us off (the one good move Yost made was to have the pitcher bat 8 and Kendall bat 9...if my lineup were used, Hall, Branyan, and pitcher would be way too many strikeouts in a row...Kendall puts the ball in play).  Also I'm not sure when Yost is going to realize that Dave Bush is TERRIBLE and needs to be put in the bullpen for Carlos Villinueva.  He has no clue how to handle pitchers in any way.  Gagne asked to be taken out of the closers roll and the next day he wants it back, and Yost GIVES IT BACK!  If he asks to be taken out of the roll his head is clearly not right at the moment.  I'd bet Torres won't blow a save while Gagne's out yet Gagne will come back and get the closers roll back.  That's how big of an idiot Yost is.  And when it comes to pulling pitchers he couldn't be worse (see the Twins game from Saturday...Julian Tavarez, a guy who hadn't pitched ALL YEAR already pitched a full inning, gives up a single, then walks the next 2 guys, so bases loaded and NO OUTS and Yost LEAVES HIM IN!  Oh, and that was in the 10th inning.  If we switch managers I would put all my money on the Brewers being in 1st place in the division.  Not your fault, not my fault, not holding it against you...you have a good manager and it plays out to your benefit.  We have the worst one in baseball and it kills us.

About replacing the production of Prince Fielder, he hasn't produced all that well this season (decent but not superstar like last year by any means).  Not to mention we have him for 2 more years AFTER this year.  So that makes no sense to me.  And I highly doubt we'll trade prospects away, the Brewers aren't smart enough to do that.  They just wait until the off-season to make terrible free agent signings (see: Mike Cameron, Jeff Suppan, Eric Gagne, all making around $10 million a year).  But if we're pretending we're losing Prince Fielder next year, we have 3 players in the minor leagues who are tearing it up.  La Porta and Gamels are both in the top 3 in Double A in RBIs and homeruns and La Porta is hitting .300 while Gamels is hitting .350. We also have a stud shortstop who is batting about .310.  I'm not too worried about replacing Prince.  If it were Braun, that's another story.

I think you beat us out in management and front office, and we beat you out in talent.  Right now your positives beat ours...hopefully we can change that soon.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #285 on: June 17, 2008, 02:27:27 AM »
You honestly think the Brewers are more talented than the Cubs?

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #286 on: June 17, 2008, 02:59:43 AM »
wadesworld... some of the things you said were correct, Rickie Weeks shouldn't bat in the leadoff position, however playing Gwynn Jr over Gabe Kapler is ridiculous.  And you stated that JJ Hardy is awful, but yet Bill Hall would play over him... apparently you don't watch too many games.  Bill Hall is downright bad right now, he wants to be traded, and doesn't give a crap about the games...  here is my lineup for the brewers, when Weeks comes back

looked up the stats... at SS, JJ Hardy has a fielding percentage at .979... Hall at .965 (this is just at SS too, not counting his other positions he had played)

Hart(not heart... HART), Kapler, Braun, Fielder, Weeks, Branyon, Hardy, Kendall, P Spot...

putting the pitcher at the 8th spot really doesn't affect anything, in fact, all it does is in the long run have the pitcher spot bat more times, which when your pitchers can't hit(which the Brewers pitchers can't, except Gallardo, who is hurt), it doesn't help.

Now to spartan's comment... do I think the Brewers are more talented then the Cubs... yes and no... I honestly don't think even with the more spent money on players see the Cubs as a much better team

and if the most talented team won the world series/made the playoffs every year, what the hell is the point of the season, just see who the best team is on paper and put them in the world series.

Like I said in a post before, the Cubs are just like the Brewers last year, playing out of their mind baseball and over-achieving a bit.  They will come back to earth, and possibly the Brewers, or Cardinals, could overtake them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #287 on: June 17, 2008, 12:10:38 PM »
Bush and Suppan are actually quite good at hitting, as is McClung.

As far as the manager goes, fire Yost and pick up Willie Randolf while he's still out there.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #288 on: June 17, 2008, 12:18:24 PM »
Bush and Suppan are actually quite good at hitting, as is McClung.

As far as the manager goes, fire Yost and pick up Willie Randolf while he's still out there.

Why would you want a manager that did less with a more talented team?

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #289 on: June 17, 2008, 12:39:19 PM »
Quote from: Mayor McCheese link=topic=8807.msg80296#msg80296
Like I said in a post before, the Cubs are just like the Brewers last year, playing out of their mind baseball and over-achieving a bit.  They will come back to earth, and possibly the Brewers, or Cardinals, could overtake them.

You're kidding right.  ::)

The Cubs are not overachieving. They have the best offense in the NL, two of the top starters in the league and a solid bullpen (especially at the end of games). That combination allows you to win alot of ballgames. In addition, they are a veteran club led by an experienced manager. The 2008 Cubs are nothing like the 2007 Brewers.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 12:40:53 PM by RJax55 »

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #290 on: June 17, 2008, 12:44:55 PM »

The Cubs are not overachieving. They have the best offense in the NL, two of the top starters in the league and a solid bullpen (especially at the end of games). That combination allows you to win alot of ballgames. In addition, they are a veteran club led by an experienced manager. The 2008 Cubs are nothing like the 2007 Brewers.

Not to mention they are the only team that hasn't had a 3 game loosing streak yet

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #291 on: June 17, 2008, 12:57:04 PM »
Not to mention they are the only team that hasn't had a 3 game loosing streak yet

Forgot to mention that. The Cubs have played consistent winning baseball since Opening Day.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #292 on: June 17, 2008, 04:30:12 PM »

holy crap... 2007 Brewers first half of the season  was exactly what you said, you just are wearing blue and red glasses, like last year I was wearing blue and mustard yellow glasses

last year the Brewers had the best offense in the NL, the staff was pitching well and for bullpen, our closer made the all-star game (and Turnbow was a solid set-up man pre-all-star break)

veteran club led by an experienced manager, yes this is somewhat imporant but not always, look at the Yankees of the past years, that formula doesn't always work.

The Cubs right now remind me of the Brewers of last year, can do no wrong.  What you said of the positives of the Cubs this year, was what the Brewers had last year, you don't think so?  At the all-star break JJ Hardy last year had 20+ home runs, Fielder was unstoppable, and Braun was getting into the mix.  Then after the all-star break, things started to fall off the track.  Long season left to go.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #293 on: June 17, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
  At the all-star break JJ Hardy last year had 20+ home runs, Fielder was unstoppable, and Braun was getting into the mix.  Then after the all-star break, things started to fall off the track.

Things fell off track because the successes were all on JJ, Fielder, and Braun hitting the long ball. Once they came down, the team played to their level.

On the other hand, the Cubs have consistently played a complete all around offense, something the Brewers have failed to compile.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #294 on: June 17, 2008, 04:38:10 PM »
No, things fell off the track for the Brewers last year when Cordero and Turnbow decided to blow quite a few games in bunches last year.  Relying on the long ball is good when you hit the most homeruns (or top 2, can't remember if a team beat us out at the end).  Cordero did good things for the Brewers last year, but he also blew 15-20 games, and Turnbow wasn't much better at the end of the season... oh and Capuano not winning a game in his last 18 starts didn't help much either

I understand Cub fans, be excited, I was at this time last year, I am just pointing out there is a long season left, and who knows, possibly the NBA finals will still be going on when it is all finished.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #295 on: June 17, 2008, 04:52:07 PM »
Things fell off track because the successes were all on JJ, Fielder, and Braun hitting the long ball. Once they came down, the team played to their level.

On the other hand, the Cubs have consistently played a complete all around offense, something the Brewers have failed to compile.

Well said.

Also, those guys were young kids that were in midst of their first pennant race. The Cubs are made up of veteran players.

Mayor - Your right, at this time last year the Brewers had a bunch of guys that were overachieving. Who on the Cubs so far is having a career season (other than Dempster). For the most part, guys are playing to their career statistics. Futhermore, guys like Lilly & Howry are actually having worse seasons than they did last year.

Also, I don't understand your point about managers. Having an experienced manager is very important. Using Joe Torre as an example is poor because he had already managed three clubs prior to joining the Yankees in 1996 (Mets, Cardinals & Braves) and led the Braves to 1982 NL West title.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #296 on: June 17, 2008, 07:15:37 PM »
possibly the NBA finals will still be going on when it is all finished.

well said, they are taking foooooreverrrr!!

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #297 on: June 17, 2008, 07:32:26 PM »
I was explaining that yes... having an experienced manager helps, but isn't a guarantee... I used Joe Torre, because since 2001ish, what has he done with easily the "best" team in baseball... I knew he managed before the Yankees, you totally missed what I was explaining in that case.

Who is having a career year for the Cubs besides Dempster?

Yes we all knew before the season Kerry Wood would be a lights out closer...

we knew Ryan Theriot would be batting .320ish

Geovany Soto, yes, he was easily penciled in as one of the best catchers in the league... give me a break RJax55, get off your Cubs horse and look at the numbers some of these role players for the Cubs are putting up.  Just about everyone is having career years up till this point.

The Cubs are made of veteran players... who aren't use to a pennant race any more then Brewers players are. 

When has Soriano been in a pennant race besides last year, and when he was a rookie with the Yankees(which doesn't count because of the team he was on)

How about Zambrano, or Fukudome, or Theriot, or Soto, or Pie, or Lilly

Who the hell on the Cubs have been in a pennant race besides Kerry Wood and Derrick Lee... I am counting out last year, since then all of the Brewers players would also be "veteran" enough in these pennant races.

looking back, yeah, your right RJax55... the Cubs aren't overachieving, they just planned on all having amazing seasons at one time, they are on pace for way over 100 wins, not overachieving at all...  Can I ask a question, where can I purchase these blue and red sunglasses you're sporting?

And hey, do you have an extra Japanese headband for me, that's a much better novelty headgear to wear at a baseball stadium over the crowns you see Brewer fans wearing.  The only difference is you only see children under the age of 12 wearing crowns... you see grown men wearing these Japanese headbands
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 07:39:14 PM by Mayor McCheese »

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #298 on: June 17, 2008, 08:02:28 PM »
I just want to point out how much the brewers were overachieving going back to last years record.  They start 25-11, a great start!!!  Since then, not including Jun. 17, they are 94-101.

About .500, where they have been for almost the past decade.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #299 on: June 18, 2008, 12:25:35 AM »
I just want to point out how much the brewers were overachieving going back to last years record.  They start 25-11, a great start!!!  Since then, not including Jun. 17, they are 94-101.

About .500, where they have been for almost the past decade.
Glad the Cubs have a lot to show within that time period too.  Wait, replace "decade" with "century" and then it's about right.