[Today at 12:26:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461509 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: The Offical Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #250 on: May 04, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #251 on: May 04, 2008, 06:34:18 PM »

His goggles are fogging up, that must be the problem.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #252 on: May 05, 2008, 12:09:46 PM »
One great playoff performance and a big contract does not mean a guy is good enough to be near the top of the rotation.

no but being the NLCS MVP and a World Series ring does mean that you get paid a bunch and believed to be a solid pitcher. Also on top of this, the two years prior to the 2006 season werent too shabby either. All signs pointed to a stud who could hold a solid spot near the top of a rotation.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

tonyreeder

« Reply #253 on: May 05, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
no but being the NLCS MVP and a World Series ring does mean that you get paid a bunch and believed to be a solid pitcher. Also on top of this, the two years prior to the 2006 season werent too shabby either. All signs pointed to a stud who could hold a solid spot near the top of a rotation.

anyone referring to Jeff Suppan as a stud needs to check out of any baseball discussion

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #254 on: May 05, 2008, 03:19:30 PM »
anyone referring to Jeff Suppan as a stud needs to check out of any baseball discussion

Put your current Brewers skewed vision away and then look at the situation around the Brewers signing Suppan.

Look at his production in 2004. It was a great year for Suppan. The following year he lost only one game more than the '04 campaign, but with a lower ERA. 2006 he receives the NLCS MVP along with a world series ring. Thats a solid pick up for the brewers. If you dont want Suppan, I know St. Louis wouldnt mind having him back.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #255 on: May 05, 2008, 04:17:43 PM »
Looking at 'Soupys' numbers, he isn't an ace, but he also isn't a bottom feeder. He's a great 3, mediocre 2. I'd take him over Marquis any day of the week. I have no idea why Brewer fans are so low on him. I think the expectations are getting a bit high over at Miller Park.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #256 on: May 05, 2008, 06:12:25 PM »
Looking at 'Soupys' numbers, he isn't an ace, but he also isn't a bottom feeder. He's a great 3, mediocre 2. I'd take him over Marquis any day of the week. I have no idea why Brewer fans are so low on him. I think the expectations are getting a bit high over at Miller Park.

I'm fine with "Soup." Hell, I'm fine with Parra & Villanueva, as long as they learn how to attack the strike zone. No doubt, however, that the Gallardo injury is a major setback.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #257 on: May 06, 2008, 10:14:41 AM »
I think the expectations are getting a bit high over at Miller Park.

yeah, I think so.

tonyreeder

« Reply #258 on: May 06, 2008, 01:47:09 PM »
I'm a Red Sox fan not a Brewer fan.  Suppan is 119-114 in his career with a 4.62 ERA.  5 games over .500 with and over 4 1/2 ERA is not a stud. You cherry picked his best years and at his age you had to know those numbers were not going to improve when you signed him for 4 years.  It was not a horrible signing for the Brewers if it was for a couple years- a back of the rotation guy who can still give you some innings. But now they are saddled with this guy two years after this one.  No way he's a #2 guy for a good team.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #259 on: May 06, 2008, 04:09:51 PM »
You cherry picked his best years and at his age you had to know those numbers were not going to improve when you signed him for 4 years. 

I dont think that you can really bring his age into the equation. Sure as you get older you lose MPH on the fast ball, but this only directs you to change your pitching patterns and tendencies. Look at Smoltz, Maddux, Johnson, Leiter, Mussina, Wakefield. These are guys that are all still pitching and some of them are still quite dominant.
When a player that has been improving as the years went by as they were in 04-06, no matter their age, you really can expect their numbers to stay strong. Besides, thats why you have a pitching coach. Its his job to recognize a pitchers pratfalls and correct them- introduce them to new pitches that will elongate their career. Its not like Suppan was coming to a team that had no pitching coach. Mike Maddux is a pretty solid Pitching Coach, although he is no Dave Duncan so you cant expect all that much.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #260 on: May 07, 2008, 10:02:57 AM »
So the Brewers are 83 -86 since ending their hot streak last April.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #261 on: May 07, 2008, 11:26:23 AM »
So the Brewers are 83 -86 since ending their hot streak last April.

and the Cubs don't have a playoff win since then!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #262 on: May 07, 2008, 11:30:56 AM »
and the Cubs don't have a playoff win since then!

Funny how the win and loss totals for the Brewers are in the 80's the last time the Brewers sniffed the playoffs.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #263 on: May 07, 2008, 11:54:34 AM »
A timeline of reasons why the Brewers hadn't gone to the Playoffs since '82

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=3384356&sportCat=mlb

fantastic read, really funny things in there.... my favorite is '94

"Ladies and gentleman, your 1994 Milwaukee Brewers All-Star representative … Ricky Bones!"

however they should come out and do a Chicago Cubs woes since last world series win, although that would end up a novel.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #264 on: May 07, 2008, 01:38:09 PM »
Funny how the win and loss totals for the Brewers are in the 80's the last time the Brewers sniffed the playoffs.

If I'm reading this correctly, you're likely referring to last season, when the Brewers finished 83-79, and last I checked (can anybody back me up on this?) 79 < 80.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #265 on: May 07, 2008, 01:58:58 PM »

If I'm reading this correctly, you're likely referring to last season, when the Brewers finished 83-79, and last I checked (can anybody back me up on this?) 79 < 80.

You're right, but I subtracted the great start the Brewers got off to in April (16-9). And then added in this year's record thus far (16-16).

And McCheese: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=cubs/0919&sportCat=mlb

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #266 on: May 07, 2008, 02:21:27 PM »
A timeline of reasons why the Brewers hadn't gone to the Playoffs since '82

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=3384356&sportCat=mlb

fantastic read, really funny things in there.... my favorite is '94

"Ladies and gentleman, your 1994 Milwaukee Brewers All-Star representative … Ricky Bones!"

however they should come out and do a Chicago Cubs woes since last world series win, although that would end up a novel.

ESPN's Page 2 did at the beginning of the season. Don't have the link though.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #267 on: May 07, 2008, 07:21:32 PM »
Well... I think the only pissing match left is who pissed away more money on Brewers tickets this year.

I'll start the bidding. I have successfully urinated away $325 dollars on two nine packs. More if you include the random games thrown in there.

I think I'm gonna print out that page 2 article when I inevitably need therapy thanks to my baseball team.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 08:35:40 PM by MUfan12 »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #268 on: May 07, 2008, 10:28:16 PM »
Alright so maybe the Cubs choked in the playoffs.  It beats choking in the regular season.  You make some serious $$$$ choking in the playoffs from TV contracts, tickets sold, championship t-shirts, hats, etc.

In the end both the Brewers and Cubs choked.  The Cubs, however, made some $$$$ while choking. 

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #270 on: May 09, 2008, 12:04:17 PM »
Anyone ever sat in the Miller Lite BeerPen before? how is it?

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #271 on: May 09, 2008, 01:49:32 PM »
Anyone ever sat in the Miller Lite BeerPen before? how is it?
It's cheap for non-marquee games.  For games w/the Cubs, Cards etc., the % increase is the largest of the regular seats (no one should ever pay to sit in Bernie's Corner (or is it Bleachers?).  If you plan on getting slammed, they are probably the best seats.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #272 on: May 09, 2008, 04:14:16 PM »
If you plan on getting slammed, they are probably the best seats.

well, al-f'ing-right!. gonna be a good night and bad morning.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #273 on: May 10, 2008, 06:30:38 PM »

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #274 on: May 12, 2008, 08:57:42 AM »
It's cheap for non-marquee games.  For games w/the Cubs, Cards etc., the % increase is the largest of the regular seats (no one should ever pay to sit in Bernie's Corner (or is it Bleachers?).  If you plan on getting slammed, they are probably the best seats.

I found out that if you are not a brewers fan and are wearing anything for the away team, right field and especially the beerpeen are not good places to sit. As soon as I sat down friday night in the beerpen, guys two rows behind me start to rip on me. I dont mind words, but then they started to yell out things like cute one and queer, etc. It was only the second inning and i believe the game was still 1-0. these guys concentrated more on me than the game. they were throwing peanut shells at me, well i should say trying to, they ended up hitting the people between us or the people next to me more than they hit me. finally they threw a hotdog wrapper at me getting ketchup and mustard all over the back of my jersey. i didnt realize this until the lady behind me, between me adn this jackass, told me and she actually went and got the usher. The guy (drunk, late 20's early 30's) left for about 3 innings or so. He came back and he and his buddies tried to start the wave for about 2 innings straight, never making it any further than a section or two over. In all, these guys spent more time at the game heckling and trying to start the wave more than they actually watched it. That is sad. I even had brewers fans so to me that they were embarrassed to be fans of the same time as this d bag. this experience and the last time i was in right field have officially put miller park a couple of notches down on stadiums that I enjoy going to. I guess that the biggest pretty boys must always sit in right field.

anyway, heres to that jackass.

feedback