[Today at 12:07:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461499 times)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
Re: The Offical Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2008, 10:59:39 AM »
we get it... Brewers fans think Cub fans are to blame, and vice versa...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

🏀

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2008, 11:00:55 AM »
As for making digs on the park for it's "affordability" - when did it ever become a bad thing to be able to provide residents with affordable tickets? Honestly I tried this week to get tickets to a Red Sox game in July and found that I'd have to pay $75.00 for Standing room only.

Don't ever post of this thread complaining about how the Cubs buy players.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2008, 11:02:56 AM »
I completely disagree. Have you really been in the bleacher more than just a Friday afternoon game? Or sat remotely close to the wall?

Nowhere else have I been able to start a sabermetrics vs. scouting conversation with the unknown guy next to me, and let it grow into 10 people in the section all adding in their thoughts.

If you try that at Miller Park, you'll get interrupted by a conversation over Jordy Nelson or Brian Brohm. Or flat out being told Chicago sucks from the 350 pounder two rows behind you.

if you guys are so smart... wouldn't you have been smart enough to jump off the bandwagon 85 years ago??

as someone else stated...

you will never see a Cubs World Series victory
your children will never see a Cubs World Series victory
your children's children will never see a Cubs World Series victory....

doesn't it suck to have such expectations every year to be crushed once again?

granted the Brewers haven't had much success, but besides the last few years, I didn't have much expectations in them.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

🏀

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2008, 11:16:44 AM »
if you guys are so smart... wouldn't you have been smart enough to jump off the bandwagon 85 years ago??

as someone else stated...

you will never see a Cubs World Series victory
your children will never see a Cubs World Series victory
your children's children will never see a Cubs World Series victory....

doesn't it suck to have such expectations every year to be crushed once again?

granted the Brewers haven't had much success, but besides the last few years, I didn't have much expectations in them.

Cub fans don't jump off the bandwagon, see unlike Wisconsin we have been able to keep Major League Baseball in Chicago sine 1870. So much, another team from Chicago was formed. We didn't need Papa Selig to bring baseball back to the barren City of Milwaukee.

You want to put a friendly wager the Cubs win before the Brewers? I will, after this platoon leaves you are crap out of luck.

Remember, we have World Series titles, and as soon as we get our next, Cubdom will be larger then ever. I hope you enjoy it when it happens because you will never stop hearing about. Thus, enlarging the giant erection you experience as the Cubs surround the second largest city of the Chicagoland Metropolitan area.

I'd rather have expectations every year, then having absolutely nothing to look forward to. What's the Brewers record after last April?

Brewer fans are always so hostile.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:20:43 AM by marqptm »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2008, 11:31:18 AM »

Remember, we have World Series titles

I love how Cubs fans like to be proud of their World Series titles from the turn of the century as if they experienced them first hand.  Probably worse than a Brewers fan boasting about the success of the Milwaukee Braves.  Might even be as bad as Packer fans boasting about all the championships that they won when there were like 4 teams.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2008, 11:33:51 AM »
I love how Cubs fans like to be proud of their World Series titles from the turn of the century as if they experienced them first hand.  Probably worse than a Brewers fan boasting about the success of the Milwaukee Braves.  Might even be as bad as Packer fans boasting about all the championships that they won when there were like 4 teams.

It's nothing special, but it's more than the Brewers.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2008, 11:35:02 AM »
Cub fans don't jump off the bandwagon, see unlike Wisconsin we have been able to keep Major League Baseball in Chicago sine 1870. So much, another team from Chicago was formed. We didn't need Papa Selig to bring baseball back to the barren City of Milwaukee.

You want to put a friendly wager the Cubs win before the Brewers? I will, after this platoon leaves you are crap out of luck.

Remember, we have World Series titles, and as soon as we get our next, Cubdom will be larger then ever. I hope you enjoy it when it happens because you will never stop hearing about. Thus, enlarging the giant erection you experience as the Cubs surround the second largest city of the Chicagoland Metropolitan area.

I'd rather have expectations every year, then having absolutely nothing to look forward to. What's the Brewers record after last April?

Cubs fans aren't bandwagon? Seriously, until about 15-20 years ago when some marketing genius started making Wrigley a party place no cared about the Cubs. They would get say 8,000 to a game.

So those drunk chicks drinking wine at that game last night were really solid baseball fans? Come on. Pull your head out of your ass and get a taste of reality.
But I like to throw handfuls...

LON

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2008, 11:36:14 AM »
It's nothing special, but it's more than the Brewers.

That's your first problem, you worry about the Brewers when you should really be scared of the actual divisions that will produce the WS champ this year...

NL Central, please, awful teams.

/Brewer fan

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2008, 11:53:15 AM »
Remember, we have World Series titles, and as soon as we get our next, Cubdom will be larger then ever. I hope you enjoy it when it happens because you will never stop hearing about.

god I hope this never happens!

to add fuel to this fire, here is a link to sports illustrated. they did a rank of mlb stadiums.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/specials/fansurvey/2008/index.html?eref=T1
i love being a cards fan! number 1 in iq and hospitality
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:57:06 AM by jaybilaswho? »
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2008, 11:54:32 AM »
Cubs fans aren't bandwagon? Seriously, until about 15-20 years ago when some marketing genius started making Wrigley a party place no cared about the Cubs. They would get say 8,000 to a game.

Actually, the Cubs fan base blossomed starting in 1984 when attendance went up a whopping 30% year to year.  This is remarkably similar to what happened in Boston in 1967, when the Impossible Dream Season awakened a slumbering fan base (though the Sox attendance surge was more pronounced).

Since 1984 the Cubs have drawn very well, generally in-line with overall baseball attendance increases.  From 1972-1983, the Cubs only averaged 20K fans per game once (1979) and have not averaged 8K since the late 60s.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/attend.shtml
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:58:19 AM by NYWarrior »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2008, 12:23:13 PM »

So those drunk chicks drinking wine at that game last night were really solid baseball fans? Come on. Pull your head out of your ass and get a taste of reality.

So those kids playing at the Fanzone at Miller Park are really solid baseball fans? At least those drunk chicks had nothing better to do than watch the game.

I don't know what is more stichky, Tom Crean's Marquette Basketball or Brewers  Baseball. I heard Bill Schroeder is going for his third prostate exam next week in the parking lot.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2008, 12:24:56 PM »
god I hope this never happens!

to add fuel to this fire, here is a link to sports illustrated. they did a rank of mlb stadiums.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/specials/fansurvey/2008/index.html?eref=T1
i love being a cards fan! number 1 in iq and hospitality

I'll agree my trips to the old Busch were good times. There were you occasion rubbing from the Cardinal fans, but other than a couple of trailer trash folks, St. Louis fans were much more friendly and knowledgeable than Milwaukee citizens.

However, that listing is pretty weak. Any non-casual fan will tell you Fenway and Wrigley are the best ballparks to see a game. The article is clearly geared towards everything but the baseball.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 12:27:06 PM by marqptm »

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2008, 12:37:37 PM »
However, that listing is pretty weak. Any non-casual fan will tell you Fenway and Wrigley are the best ballparks to see a game. The article is clearly geared towards everything but the baseball.

If you read the preface of the results you would have seen that they mentiond that the categories "hurt some of the grand old ball parks". But that is the way that baseball is becoming. Stadiums need more bells and whistles, more bright lights, to bring in fans and nonfans alike.
 I dont quite understand why you think it is geared around everything but baseball. The article was about the stadium and everything that makes up your visit to that stadium for a game. If they were to mention baseball (which they did with 'team quality'), the survey would have lost its intended purpose and its comment board would look just like this whole thread.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 12:42:41 PM by jaybilaswho? »
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2008, 12:38:50 PM »
I was at the game last night as well and I could have sworn you were talking about the Cubs fans around me. My buddy from college who I went with stated "just more idiot ass clown Cubs fans." Face it, both teams have fans that are assclowns.

That was my point. I don't think you can make any judgment for either team's fans. You're going to have great ones, good ones, decent, awful, and those who could care less about the actual game. It just depends on who you end up around.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2008, 12:43:08 PM »

Wow.

JSwarriors08

« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »
Honestly, all of this is worthless.  The only thing that this pissing match continues to prove to me is that people have gotten away from a simple love of the game.  I am a huge Brewers fan, and I don't feel a need to be hostile toward the Cubs.  I think it's great that the Brew Crew and the Cubbies are both playing great baseball and giving us a show by making the NL Central a real fight this year.  It's great!  Why can't we just relax and be thankful that we are following a real baseball storyline.  There's nothing better than a throw-down division race that lasts the entire year, and that looks like what it's going to be. 

I think the only thing that bothers me about Cubs fans is that they have forgotten their love for the game.  They live and die by the Cubbies' success, and can't just chill and enjoy the game for its intrinsic value.  I have seen this start to settle in with Brewer fans, too, since the bandwagon began rolling these last couple of years.

I've watched the Brewers and been a fan through the dark ages.  I love just watching them compete and have a chance, and I think Cubs and Brewers fans alike should take a hint.  Who cares about feeling like the "better franchise?"

The diamond is supposed to be the great equalizer.  Out there, it doesn't matter which franchise has a better history or better fan base or better looking ball park... It's about good old-fashioned ball playing... and about enjoying the world's most tradition-rich and purest sports.  Too many people forget to kick back and just enjoy.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2008, 01:11:04 PM »
That's your first problem, you worry about the Brewers when you should really be scared of the actual divisions that will produce the WS champ this year...

NL Central, please, awful teams.

/Brewer fan

When the cardinals won, did anyone think the WS champs would have come out of the central

LON

• All American
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2008, 01:16:18 PM »
When the cardinals won, did anyone think the WS champs would have come out of the central

Good point, but until it's a feared division the only thing that garners SI covers is if Fukodome is going to help the Cubs break the streak.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2008, 01:30:37 PM »
I was at the game last night and it was astonishing that so many "great" baseball fans left Wrigley after the 7th inning, even though the Cubs were down by just two at that point.  By the middle of the 8th, I would estimate Wrigley was about 40% full. 

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2008, 01:52:41 PM »
Good point, but until it's a feared division the only thing that garners SI covers is if Fukodome is going to help the Cubs break the streak.

Come on, everybody knows the only thing that garners SI covers (outside of championships) is a red "B" or white, interlocking "NY" on your cap.

LON

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2008, 03:05:39 PM »

Come on, everybody knows the only thing that garners SI covers (outside of championships) is a red "B" or white, interlocking "NY" on your cap.

Also true, just wait for the new cover...

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2008, 04:01:20 PM »
I was at the game last night and it was astonishing that so many "great" baseball fans left Wrigley after the 7th inning, even though the Cubs were down by just two at that point.  By the middle of the 8th, I would estimate Wrigley was about 40% full. 

To be fair, it was incredibly cold.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2008, 04:04:44 PM »
I'll agree my trips to the old Busch were good times. There were you occasion rubbing from the Cardinal fans, but other than a couple of trailer trash folks, St. Louis fans were much more friendly and knowledgeable than Milwaukee citizens.

I have to jump in here (this has nothing to do with me being a White Sox fan). As someone who has seen games in over half the current MLB parks, I have to say Wrigley and Fenway are "cool" places to see a game, but are probably two of the six worst ballparks in baseball to sit, see, and enjoy a game. From a pure comfort standpoint, they are easily the two worst. I don't weigh three bills, but if you're a Red Sox fan and weigh that much, there is absolutely no way you can sit in Fenway. Wrigley and Fenway's charm factor (rightfully) seduces many people, but their age/locations are their downfall.

I'm a non-casual fan, and will tell you that while AT&T Park in Frisco is my favorite to go to, there is no better park for a fan to watch a game at than PNC Park.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2008, 06:23:01 PM »
Any non-casual fan will tell you Fenway and Wrigley are the best ballparks to see a game. The article is clearly geared towards everything but the baseball.

The difference between Fenway and Wrigley...

Although Fenway has been shored up and renovated over recent years, lavished with millions of dollars in improvements and polished like a fine jewel, Wrigley has undergone the stadium equivalent of a patch job.

Sure, they've added seats and luxury boxes - upping capacity to 41,160 - repaired concrete and replaced the entire field.

But the main grandstand needs more than another coat of paint.

We're talking a major renovation.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=745330

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2008, 06:41:57 PM »
ESPN is showing why I despise the Cubs/Yanks/Red Sox so much....

so tonight on ESPN it is Brewers vs Cubs, but unless I was a Brewers fan, I would have no clue.  They have talked about Zambrano, Soriano(he's not even playing), Derrek Lee, Fukodome, and Dempster.... I think the only Brewer they have mentioned is Cameron...

they were talking about how the Cubs are winning the division, which is true, but by 1 game, and the Brewers are 3-1 vs the Cubs this year, but there is no mention of it....

The Brewers have players that will draw the interest of young fans, especially young black fans, which they are having big problems with (look at how many black players there are)... on a team where you have Prince Fielder, possibly the next poster-child for black baseball players, Bill Hall, Rickie Weeks and Mike Cameron all on a starting roster, that is a substantial amount of black players on a team, but that is not why you should talk about the Brewers

you should talk about the Brewers due to being an equal un-bias station... when you have 1 hour pre-game, and about 30 minutes for the game, why spend 25 on the Cubs and 5 on the Brewers... Brewers won last night, and won the other series this year against the Cubs... both series of which have been in Wrigley... give us some... seems like Cubs are the Badgers to the Brewers being Marquette, although they are better, they get no love.