Incoming freshmen by MUbiz
[Today at 10:57:29 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461344 times)

jmayer1

• All American
Re: Baseball Pissing Match
« Reply #2275 on: September 09, 2009, 11:21:18 AM »
I'm far from a Cardinals fan....as a Cubs fan, they're our biggest rival.

Yes, the untucking thing bothers me....it's ridiculous.   Did you like it when Jerry Smith ran around the BC with his jersey off after beating MU?  Did you like when football players took their helmets off after making a big play?  Maybe Tiger should drop his pants the next time he sinks a putt to win a tournament....or at least untuck his shirt and run around the green.
Man, some of you must be the among the most boring people in the world.  The Brewers are having fun playing out a meaningless stretch of baseball at home.  Personally, I didn't have a huge problem with Jerry Smith running around in front of his hometown crowd after hitting a game winner.  I would have had even less of a problem if he had done it at Louisville.  Nobody seems to care when Tiger does his boisterous fist pumps or throws his hat down after winning a tournement.  How about when Al jumped on the scorer's table when MU beat Wisconsin or Brandi Chastain ripping her shirt off after winning the world cup?  Athletes often celebrate when big moments occur because at the end of the day they are PLAYING A GAME.

I did have a problem with Prince charging the clubhouse.  That was just plain stupid and uncalled for.  But to link that incident with this one makes no sense and is the comparison is only being made out of conveinence.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #2276 on: September 09, 2009, 11:23:28 AM »
If it was actually funny and not meant to 'show up' or taunt the opposing team.  It wasn't a taunt at SF, they would have done it against any team they were playing.

EDIT:  Fielder takes crap from everyone about his weight, how is it not funny when he takes it to the level of "watch when I stomp on the plate and cause an earthquake"

Who determines if and when it is meant to "show up" or taunt the opposing team?  If the game was against the Cubs or Cards is it then a taunt?  Do the fans decide if it was taunting or not?  Maybe the team that did the celebration should determine whether they were taunting?  Or maybe the Giants should decide if they felt disrespected as is evidenced by the Giants pitching coach and a number of players showed on their faces but failed to say publicly.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2277 on: September 09, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
It seems to be more than a coincidence that multiple teams have a problem with the Brewers this year.

Eariler this year I was all for Soriano getting drilled in the head after his "you can't see me" walk-off homerun. The only reason he didn't get drilled is because Oswalt injured himself in the first inning before facing Soriano.

Rather than complaining to the media about players throwing at heads, Ken Macha should tell his team to quit being d-bags.

LON

• All American
« Reply #2278 on: September 09, 2009, 11:28:07 AM »
Who determines if and when it is meant to "show up" or taunt the opposing team?  If the game was against the Cubs or Cards is it then a taunt?  Do the fans decide if it was taunting or not?  Maybe the team that did the celebration should determine whether they were taunting?  Or maybe the Giants should decide if they felt disrespected as is evidenced by the Giants pitching coach and a number of players showed on their faces but failed to say publicly.

You raise fair points, but when the kid [yes, he's still a kid] is smiling and running around the bases after a big game-winning HR does it appear like he's taunting anyone?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2279 on: September 09, 2009, 11:32:56 AM »
Eariler this year I was all for Soriano getting drilled in the head after his "you can't see me" walk-off homerun.

If you think that, the Fielder incident, staring down a home run, untucking jerseys, or any other action that people find 'offensive' justifies getting drilled in the head, then frankly you forfeit your right to an opinion, because that is just plain stupid. That 9/11 comparison sounds more and more on the money with each post you make.

LON

• All American
« Reply #2280 on: September 09, 2009, 11:35:06 AM »
Maybe the players association should look into this.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2281 on: September 09, 2009, 11:39:24 AM »
If you think that, the Fielder incident, staring down a home run, untucking jerseys, or any other action that people find 'offensive' justifies getting drilled in the head, then frankly you forfeit your right to an opinion, because that is just plain stupid. That 9/11 comparison sounds more and more on the money with each post you make.

Ummm where did I ever mention 9/11?

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #2282 on: September 09, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
You raise fair points, but when the kid [yes, he's still a kid] is smiling and running around the bases after a big game-winning HR does it appear like he's taunting anyone?

I have already said I was not personally offended, but for the Brewers and their fans to tell the Giants they should not be offended - who are they to decide how the Giants should/should not feel?  Prince is not "a kid" - he's 23/24 years old and has kids of his own (I digress).

Also - there is NEVER, EVER a reason to throw at somebody's head.  I don't think a pitcher exists in the game that would intentionally throw at someone's head.  Look at the reactions of the pitchers that do hit somebody in the head (was it Cain that hit D. Wright awhile back?) - the pitchers always look sick and remorseful. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2283 on: September 09, 2009, 11:58:58 AM »
Man, some of you must be the among the most boring people in the world.  The Brewers are having fun playing out a meaningless stretch of baseball at home.  Personally, I didn't have a huge problem with Jerry Smith running around in front of his hometown crowd after hitting a game winner.  I would have had even less of a problem if he had done it at Louisville.  Nobody seems to care when Tiger does his boisterous fist pumps or throws his hat down after winning a tournement.  How about when Al jumped on the scorer's table when MU beat Wisconsin or Brandi Chastain ripping her shirt off after winning the world cup?  Athletes often celebrate when big moments occur because at the end of the day they are PLAYING A GAME.

I did have a problem with Prince charging the clubhouse.  That was just plain stupid and uncalled for.  But to link that incident with this one makes no sense and is the comparison is only being made out of conveinence.

Actually, if you read what most of us said, we thought it was funny and don't mind the emotion....but I also don't mind the other team throwing one near his earhole either.  It's part of the game....and to be clear, I'm not saying headhunting....if you want to drill him in the back or the butt, fine.  (incidentally, in the old days they threw at the head all the time...on purpose)

Was it really cool when Terrell Owens did his little dance on the Cowboys star when he was a 49er?  Yes, it was cool and funny, but it was also great when the Cowboys planted him into the ground the second time for doing it.  Police your own.

Has nothing to do with being boring, I love the emotion but I also support the teams and players wanting to to respond.

So back to golf.....why can't we have more emotion, jumping up and down, chest bumps with caddies, running around the greens.....seems only fair.   ;)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2284 on: September 09, 2009, 12:02:28 PM »
...but I also don't mind the other team throwing one near his earhole either.  It's part of the game....and to be clear, I'm not saying headhunting....if you want to drill him in the back or the butt, fine.

You do realize where the earhole is located don't you? Which is it?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2285 on: September 09, 2009, 12:04:47 PM »

Baseball is losing relative popularity because it is a game that doesn't translate well on television in an era where television is extremely important to a sport's popularity.

And this Brewer fan would trade LaRussa for Macha in a heartbeat.

Exactly...to suggest baseball is losing popularity because people aren't celebrating enough is ridiculous. Do people actually tune in to watch NFL celebrations in the end zone?  If they do, I suggest they set their DVR to Dancing with the Stars then.

And baseball attendance has done very well, ratings are still very solid, plenty of emotion is shown out there every day with pitchers all jacked up, hitters, etc.  The thing with Fielder's deal is that it was scripted, no two ways about it.  But then again, if you're out of the playoff run you have a lot of time on your hands to play dress up and think of ways to act out fantasies on the field.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2286 on: September 09, 2009, 12:06:25 PM »
Earlier this year I was all for Soriano getting drilled in the head after his "you can't see me" walk-off homerun. The only reason he didn't get drilled is because Oswalt injured himself in the first inning before facing Soriano.

So let me get this straight, one of the guys who was beyond outraged at the Brewers taking advantage of one of the rules/rights afforded them by the labor agreement to try to increase a players trade value to improve their  team because it messes with his free agency, has no issue with another team throwing at another player's head and messing with his career/health/life because why, they got their feelings hurt?

At least you aren't hypocritical.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #2287 on: September 09, 2009, 12:06:32 PM »
It seems to be more than a coincidence that multiple teams have a problem with the Brewers this year.

Eariler this year I was all for Soriano getting drilled in the head after his "you can't see me" walk-off homerun. The only reason he didn't get drilled is because Oswalt injured himself in the first inning before facing Soriano.

Rather than complaining to the media about players throwing at heads, Ken Macha should tell his team to quit being d-bags.

Soriano also did the "you can't see me" to the opposing dugout. The Brewers walk-off celebration was for the Brewers, not directed at the Giants.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #2288 on: September 09, 2009, 12:10:40 PM »
Soriano actually had family sitting right behind the opposing teams dugout.  For the record, I am a Cubs fan and Sori's actions get a little ridiculous (especially for someone hitting below .250)

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #2289 on: September 09, 2009, 12:16:05 PM »
Titan, you left out the most important part of that article:

I think it would have been better to save the creativity for a situation when the win meant more for the Brewers then the loss did for their opponent. There are plenty of times to have fun in baseball, but directly after dealing a blow to the Giants' postseason hopes wasn't one of them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Prince-Fielder-s-brash-Brewers-added-to-yet-anot?urn=mlb,187823#remaining-content

The only reason the Giants were pissed is because they got beat and it dropped them further out of the Wild Card.

The bottom line is, nobody would care if the Brewers weren't competitive. Want to keep the Brewers from "disrespecting" your team? Simple. Beat' em (hasn't exactly been difficult this year).

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2290 on: September 09, 2009, 12:22:17 PM »
Are people SERIOUSLY asking if fans would be mad if they did this as the AWAY team?!  Are you guys SERIOUSLY THAT STUPID?!  You DO realize that if Prince had hit a home run in the 12th inning as the AWAY team, there would still be another half inning to play, right?!  So, the game would NOT be over.  That is one of the dumbest questions I have seen in this thread, and there have been PLENTY!

Also, what is the difference between what the Brewers did and what is normally done after a walk-off home run?  That there was actually some originality to it?  How is jumping on home plate for 5 minutes not disrespectful, but this is?  The game is over, they aren't taunting anybody, they are celebrating a win and having a bit of fun.  If you think that the Brewers should act like they have been there and that it was disrespectful, then why don't all teams act like they have been there when there is a walk-off?  If you want teams to act like they have been there, then after walk-off home runs, the player should run around the bases, touch home plate with the team waiting with fist pumps at the 1st step of the dugout, and then they should walk onto the field, get in a line, and high 5 each other, followed by a walk to the clubhouse.  Some people on here are absolutely ridiculous.  Don't hold double standards, if this is disrespectful, then so is the normal practice after a walk-off home run.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 12:27:55 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #2291 on: September 09, 2009, 12:28:46 PM »
wadesworld - who are you referencing when talking about doing this as the AWAY team because this has been cleared up for awhile - if you are referencing me, go back and re-read my posts

LON

• All American
« Reply #2292 on: September 09, 2009, 12:33:27 PM »
“Yeah, one of the most joyful players in the game," Cameron said, referring to Hunter. "You know, obviously, I didn’t really like that too much. You play the game and try to have fun this that and the other and then when you have fun somebody’s got something to say. We weren’t on nobody’s else’s field. We were on our home field.

Nobody said nothing when we started the original bounce with Barry Larkin, Greg Vaughn, and some of the older guys in Cincinnati in ’99 when we were the young kids pretty much in a race down the stretch.  It was 'Hey, they're having fun.'  All of the sudden we fall out of the race a little bit. Nobody said we had to stop having fun and keep playing hard.”

"Hey, man we just went extra innings. Everybody knows it’s an emotional game. You can’t really show your emotions because of the, should say, rules of the game without winning a championship or something like that.  To play a 162 game schedule and somebody shows a little bit of emotion and has fun with it.  Everyone loves it.  Everybody in Milwaukee loves it, so so what. Who cares? We didn’t show nobody up.  It wasn’t like we pointed at their dugout or anything like that. Anything. When we lose, we walk off the field. We don’t stay on the field and watch what people are doing.”

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/58108967.html

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2293 on: September 09, 2009, 12:48:07 PM »
So let me get this straight, one of the guys who was beyond outraged at the Brewers taking advantage of one of the rules/rights afforded them by the labor agreement to try to increase a players trade value to improve their  team because it messes with his free agency, has no issue with another team throwing at another player's head and messing with his career/health/life because why, they got their feelings hurt?

At least you aren't hypocritical.

How can you compare the J.J. Hardy situation to this? 

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #2294 on: September 09, 2009, 01:53:55 PM »
I'm a Cardinals fan, and I don't really care about the untucking, but I do think that the Brewers (especially Braun and Fielder) are whiny little punks, and they deserve every plunking they get. 

I'm taking extra joy in watching the Brewers suck this year.  Maybe you can make it to the playoffs again in another 25 years. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2295 on: September 09, 2009, 02:08:50 PM »
I'm a Cardinals fan, and I don't really care about the untucking, but I do think that the Brewers (especially Braun and Fielder) are whiny little punks, and they deserve every plunking they get. 

I'm taking extra joy in watching the Brewers suck this year.  Maybe you can make it to the playoffs again in another 25 years. 

just like we take extra joy in watching Albert Pujols get plunked for thinking he is the policeman of the Central.  Just because you are the best player in baseball doesn't mean you dictate the rules.

as for the shirt untucking thing, it is a TRIBUTE TO MIKE CAMERON'S FATHER.  Not a taunt, not an insult, it is done for Cam's father... but why not jump to conclusions rather than do a second of fact checking!

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #2296 on: September 09, 2009, 02:16:27 PM »
just like we take extra joy in watching Albert Pujols get plunked for thinking he is the policeman of the Central.  Just because you are the best player in baseball doesn't mean you dictate the rules.

as for the shirt untucking thing, it is a TRIBUTE TO MIKE CAMERON'S FATHER.  Not a taunt, not an insult, it is done for Cam's father... but why not jump to conclusions rather than do a second of fact checking!

I specifically said that I have no problem with the shirt untucking, settle down there champ.  I realize that its a tribute and I have no problem with it.   

Nothing of this has anything to do with the fact that Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun are showboating punks. 

Also when has Albert Pujols ever claimed to be the policeman of the Central?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2297 on: September 09, 2009, 02:21:04 PM »
You do realize where the earhole is located don't you? Which is it?

Depends on the person, so many have their heads up their ass that the earhole is lower.   :)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:24:55 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

LON

• All American
« Reply #2298 on: September 09, 2009, 02:26:22 PM »
I specifically said that I have no problem with the shirt untucking, settle down there champ.  I realize that its a tribute and I have no problem with it.   

Nothing of this has anything to do with the fact that Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun are showboating punks. 

Also when has Albert Pujols ever claimed to be the policeman of the Central?

He took umbrage to Villanueva and his fist pump after a big play.

He's constantly quoted in the articles that the beat writers for the St Louis Dispatch (I think) about the shirt untucking and admiration of HRs.

Pujols admires his hits just as much (if not more often) than Fielder or Braun ever have.

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #2299 on: September 09, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »
Pujols admires his hits just as much (if not more often) than Fielder or Braun ever have.

That's only because he hits more than they do...

Hey I realize that Pujols admires his homeruns and that he probably can be irksome to you guys.  But I'm just saying that you should realize that your guys doing the same thing is probably going to instill some of the same loathing of your guys in opposing fans and that your guys aren't just a lovable bunch of jokesters who everyone should like.  So congrats, your team is now the Chad Johnson of Major League Baseball.  Everyone hates Chad Johnson. (Note: my hatred of Chad Johnson prevents me from referring to him as whatever the hell he wants to be referred to as now.)