collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461341 times)

LON

• All American
Re: Baseball Pissing Match
« Reply #2250 on: September 09, 2009, 09:21:38 AM »
It was Chris Smith, who throws just as soft.

And chapman, it wasn't a "straight as a string fastball to the back." It was a fastball that rode inside and got him on the forearm. There was nothing remotely intentional about it.

Thanks for the correction.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2251 on: September 09, 2009, 09:25:07 AM »

Baseball is losing relative popularity because it is a game that doesn't translate well on television in an era where television is extremely important to a sport's popularity.

And this Brewer fan would trade LaRussa for Macha in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't since he is the epitome of a douche bag.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2252 on: September 09, 2009, 09:54:31 AM »
I wouldn't since he is the epitome of a douche bag.

Granted, but he is a winning douche bag.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #2253 on: September 09, 2009, 09:57:20 AM »
How people don't see what was wrong with this amazes me.  Having fun and celebrating a win with your teammates is one thing...it's common for the team to jump around home plate and mob the guy who hit a walk-off HR...been going on for years.

But to point to your teammates before you get to second base to get them 'ready', untucking your jersey as you're rounding second base and then the whole choreographed thing at home plate....come on.  The fact that this was probably rehearsed or, at a minimum, planned/discussed in the clubhouse is ridiculous.  There's no excuse...even more when your team is 6 games under .500 and playing out the string....it's not like it pulled them within a game of the wild card during an 8 game winning streak....they had lost 4 of 5 and needed that HR to avoid the series sweep.  You add to it that it comes from a guy who charged through the tunnels of Dodger Stadium to bust into to Dodgers' clubhouse after being hit and it makes it more unbelievable.

If Lazar Hayward jumped on the scorers' table and the MU students stormed the court after beating Maryland Eastern Shore on a last second shot I'd be embarrassed.

The one thing I've liked about baseball is that, by-and-large, the punk, BS behavior has been limited to a few incidents or players...and not the norm....like we have in football where every time a DB breaks up a pass or there's a sack, or, heaven forbid, a TD...there's some BS trash talking, taunting, choreographed routine....it's tiresome and takes away from the game.  So much so the NFL now penalizes for it....it impacts the integrity of the game, sets a horrible example for kids and throws sportsmanship out the window.

LON

• All American
« Reply #2254 on: September 09, 2009, 10:06:47 AM »
But to point to your teammates before you get to second base to get them 'ready', untucking your jersey as you're rounding second base and then the whole choreographed thing at home plate....come on.

Seriously?  The untucking thing bothers you too?  Are you a Cardinals fan?

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #2255 on: September 09, 2009, 10:07:33 AM »
+1M to "How people don't see what was wrong with this amazes me."

The fact that Fielder cannot handle a retaliatory plunk (whether you believe the pitch to Ramirez was intentional or not), but can put on this display amazes me

And the fans that think it was funny - just think if the Cubs players did this on a walk-off against the Brewers - I'm sure most, if not all, would be singing a different tune

LON

• All American
« Reply #2256 on: September 09, 2009, 10:09:25 AM »
+1M - the fact that Fielder cannot handle a retaliatory plunk (whether you believe the pitch to Ramirez was intentional or not), but can put on this display amazes me

And the fans that think it was funny - just think if the Cubs players did this on a walk-off against the Brewers - I'm sure most, if not all, would be singing a different tune

At Miller Park?  For sure.  It's not like these guys did it in front of a SF crowd.  It was at Miller Park (which is doing very well for attendance despite the ineptitude of the team) for fans that haven't had a whole lot to cheer about lately.

LON

• All American
« Reply #2257 on: September 09, 2009, 10:11:14 AM »
The fact that Fielder cannot handle a retaliatory plunk (whether you believe the pitch to Ramirez was intentional or not), but can put on this display amazes me

He got hit in the 9th (or 8th?) of a 17-3 game, there's no place for that.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2258 on: September 09, 2009, 10:12:06 AM »
Wasn't this the same board that was bashing Soriano for his point and "you can't see me"? Isn't this by far worse because it involved teammates?
This was rehearsed, but still funny.

But in the end who cares.  The Giants have more important things to worry about, like trying to make the playoffs.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2259 on: September 09, 2009, 10:14:45 AM »

What if anything, does one have to do with the other? How does this celebration put anyone's season and/or career at risk, as throwing at someone in a meaningless AB does?

I assure you, you're wrong. Funny is funny, and that's what this was, and what it was intended to be...Not intended to embarrass anyone or anything like that. Designed to draw attention to him/themselves? Absolutely, but who cares? Who or what was harmed by this? If something was in fact wrong with it, please explain exactly what that is.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #2260 on: September 09, 2009, 10:15:18 AM »
At Miller Park?  For sure.  It's not like these guys did it in front of a SF crowd.  It was at Miller Park (which is doing very well for attendance despite the ineptitude of the team) for fans that haven't had a whole lot to cheer about lately.

It would be hard for the Cubs to hit a walk-off at Miller Park, no?  If they did it at Wrigley, you'd be OK with it?

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #2261 on: September 09, 2009, 10:17:54 AM »
Seriously?  The untucking thing bothers you too?  Are you a Cardinals fan?

I'm far from a Cardinals fan....as a Cubs fan, they're our biggest rival.

Yes, the untucking thing bothers me....it's ridiculous.   Did you like it when Jerry Smith ran around the BC with his jersey off after beating MU?  Did you like when football players took their helmets off after making a big play?  Maybe Tiger should drop his pants the next time he sinks a putt to win a tournament....or at least untuck his shirt and run around the green.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #2262 on: September 09, 2009, 10:20:51 AM »
He got hit in the 9th (or 8th?) of a 17-3 game, there's no place for that.

Just like there is no place for charging the other teams locker room?  What was the score of the game when Manny got hit (I honestly do not know)?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2263 on: September 09, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »
Did you like it when Jerry Smith ran around the BC with his jersey off after beating MU?  Did you like when football players took their helmets off after making a big play?  Maybe Tiger should drop his pants the next time he sinks a putt to win a tournament....or at least untuck his shirt and run around the green.

Again...how are any of these even close to the same thing? It is not done during a game, not done more than once. It is done one time, after a win. Then again, it was started by that classless jerk Mike Cameron, not a guy that is universally highly regarded and respected by his peers around the league.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #2264 on: September 09, 2009, 10:24:11 AM »
What if anything, does one have to do with the other? How does this celebration put anyone's season and/or career at risk, as throwing at someone in a meaningless AB does?

I assure you, you're wrong. Funny is funny, and that's what this was, and what it was intended to be...Not intended to embarrass anyone or anything like that. Designed to draw attention to him/themselves? Absolutely, but who cares? Who or what was harmed by this? If something was in fact wrong with it, please explain exactly what that is.

Not sure Fielder's career was at risk - he got hit in the meat of his thigh.  I take your assurance lightly since you cannot speak for all Brewers fans.  Personally, I do not care what their home run celebration is - I found it neither entertaining or offensive.  I just think that if I was a player on the Giants watching that, I would be offended

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #2265 on: September 09, 2009, 10:27:23 AM »
Again...how are any of these even close to the same thing? It is not done during a game, not done more than once. It is done one time, after a win. Then again, it was started by that classless jerk Mike Cameron, not a guy that is universally highly regarded and respected by his peers around the league.

Jerry Smith did it after the game was over, sinking a putt to win a tournament signals the end of play and, in football, it can happen throughout the game....point is, it's garbage behavior no matter when it occurs.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2266 on: September 09, 2009, 10:28:21 AM »
Just like there is no place for charging the other teams locker room? 

If you are looking for someone to disagree with that, good luck.

This breaks down pretty simply to people who watched and immediately laughed, because it was in fact funny, or those who watched, resisted the urge to laugh and instead made the decision to be 'outrage' over such boorish behavior, because of the parties involved. When you look at the comments by those who were offended by this, they all seem to have to point to other things Prince/the Brewers have been involved in as a reason why they are offended by it. Interesting.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2267 on: September 09, 2009, 10:31:45 AM »
Not sure Fielder's career was at risk - he got hit in the meat of his thigh.  

Yes, because Guillermo Mota is well known for his pinpoint control. If he gets hit in the hand, or the knee? Come to think of it he probably was aiming for his head. 

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #2268 on: September 09, 2009, 10:34:51 AM »
If you are looking for someone to disagree with that, good luck.

This breaks down pretty simply to people who watched and immediately laughed, because it was in fact funny, or those who watched, resisted the urge to laugh and instead made the decision to be 'outrage' over such boorish behavior, because of the parties involved. When you look at the comments by those who were offended by this, they all seem to have to point to other things Prince/the Brewers have been involved in as a reason why they are offended by it. Interesting.

I was watching when it happened - I didn't laugh or resist the urge to - I didn't find it funny or offensive.  In a previous post I said as much.  I just put myself in other's shoes and if I was a Giants player I would have likely been offended and not forgotten that the next time I played.  Just like I urge people that found it funny to do, if the Brewers were on the receiving end I think Brewers fans would be upset by the behavior.

I pointed to Prince getting beaned because that is part of the game - clearly the Dodgers thought Manny got hit intentionally and retaliated by hitting Prince in the meat of the thigh and he flew off the handle.  A couple weeks before that happened, a Brewers pitcher hit an opposing player intentionally, and before the player could even react, Kendall was in his face pushing him down the first base line saying "either charge the mound or walk to first" - apparently that only applies to other teams

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2269 on: September 09, 2009, 10:49:01 AM »
If you Brewer fans wanted people to stop throwing at your players heads tell them to stop being a**holes.  Why is it always your team that's being targeted?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Prince-Fielder-s-brash-Brewers-added-to-yet-anot?urn=mlb,187823#remaining-content
Needless to say, if there were a 2009 pennant awarded for rubbing opponents the wrong way, the Brewers would have long since clinched it. By my count, the list of competitors irked by the 2009 Crew now includes the disrespected Giants, the fashion-minded Cardinals, the beanballing Pirates and Cubs announcer Bob Brenly. Throw in Fielder's attempted forced entry into the Dodgers clubhouse last month and you've got a team that produces an amount of  headlines that's disproportionate to their fourth place standing in the NL Central.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2270 on: September 09, 2009, 11:10:14 AM »
That is a great picture.

LON

• All American
« Reply #2271 on: September 09, 2009, 11:10:39 AM »
It would be hard for the Cubs to hit a walk-off at Miller Park, no?  If they did it at Wrigley, you'd be OK with it?

I think you knew what I meant, I'd be upset with Cubs doing some sort of grand gesture like this in Miller Park just like I wouldn't want to see them [the Brewers] do something like this at opposing parks.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:16:22 AM by LancesOtherNut »

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #2272 on: September 09, 2009, 11:13:17 AM »
You know what I meant.

Not really - of course if an opposing team did this it Miller Park it would be ridiculous, but part of the question is, is it less bothersome because the game was over. 

Therefore, if the Cubs hit a walk-off against the Brewers at Wrigley and did this celebration would you, as a Brewers fan, think it was funny/offensive/something else?

LON

• All American
« Reply #2273 on: September 09, 2009, 11:15:50 AM »
Not really - of course if an opposing team did this it Miller Park it would be ridiculous, but part of the question is, is it less bothersome because the game was over.  

Therefore, if the Cubs hit a walk-off against the Brewers at Wrigley and did this celebration would you, as a Brewers fan, think it was funny/offensive/something else?

If it was actually funny and not meant to 'show up' or taunt the opposing team.  It wasn't a taunt at SF, they would have done it against any team they were playing.

EDIT:  Fielder takes crap from everyone about his weight, how is it not funny when he takes it to the level of "watch when I stomp on the plate and cause an earthquake"
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:18:18 AM by LancesOtherNut »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2274 on: September 09, 2009, 11:16:27 AM »
If you Brewer fans wanted people to stop throwing at your players heads tell them to stop being a**holes.  Why is it always your team that's being targeted?

Again just so we get this clear...do you feel that untucking jerseys or a choreographed celebration warrant throwing at a players head? If yes, I feel sorry for you. If no, what is your point?

Beyond that, what a**holish behavior did the Brewers exhibit toward the Pirates? Whipping their a**es? How about the Cardinals? Who anointed them the keepers of the baseball etiquette book anyway? Bob Brenley?

You sound a little like those people who try to justify the terrorists actions on 9/11.

feedback