collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461399 times)

jmayer1

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #2225 on: September 03, 2009, 02:42:53 PM »
I'll admit I was wrong on this one.

Btw, that was very earnest of you.  If everyone on this board could predict the future 100% of the time, we'd all be stockbrokers.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #2226 on: September 03, 2009, 02:46:32 PM »
Btw, that was very earnest of you.  If everyone on this board could predict the future 100% of the time, we'd all be stockbrokers.

I wouldn't. I'd spend an hour a week buying and selling on-line, and spend the rest of my time traveling to my various vacation homes around the world on my private jet.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Baseball Pissing Match
« Reply #2227 on: September 08, 2009, 04:02:49 PM »
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090906&content_id=6823408&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

Prince and pretty much everyone on the Brewers better look out for a ball right at their ear flap next time they play the Giants.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2228 on: September 08, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090906&content_id=6823408&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

Prince and pretty much everyone on the Brewers better look out for a ball right at their ear flap next time they play the Giants.

Yeah, agree.  The Angels were interviewed about it yesterday as well.  They all thought it was kinda funny but also said that should be for football, not baseball.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-angels-fyi8-2009sep08,0,4536898.story

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2229 on: September 08, 2009, 04:08:53 PM »

I think they expect it, to be honest.

That was freaking hilarious though, and I don't really see the problem with it. It's not like it was some intricate routine, he jumped and they all fell. It probably took less time than jumping up and down in a circle.

And front and center for it was Trevor Hoffman, who is one of the most all-business, old school guys in the game. If he's alright with it, I'm alright with it.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #2230 on: September 08, 2009, 04:52:43 PM »

Sure buddy!!  Take it easy, its a walk-off home run for cripes sakes.  I'm glad they're still having fun even though they have no shot at the playoffs.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2231 on: September 08, 2009, 05:03:08 PM »
Sure buddy!!  Take it easy, its a walk-off home run for cripes sakes.  I'm glad they're still having fun even though they have no shot at the playoffs.

All depends on who's ox had been gored.  The Giants are in the thick of a battle.  If the Brewers were in that thick of a battle and a team with no shot did this to them, my guess is some Brewer fans would be upset.

It reminds me of when Packer fans went batcrazy when the Cowboys kicked a 7th FG at the end of the game to tie a NFL record.  If it wasn't the Cowboys, the Packers fans wouldn't have care, but because it was the Cowboys (or insert Bears, Vikings, too) it was the end of the world.  Personally, I loved it, but then again if someone was doing against my team and they happened to be the Redskins, Giants, Eagles or 49ers....then I'd be ticked.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2232 on: September 08, 2009, 05:21:52 PM »
I thought it was quite funny, and frankly I applaud the Brewers for being willing to rip a few pages out of the hopelessly outdated baseball etiquette book (the book that miserable bastard Tony LaRussa, the St. Louis Cardinals and their idiot fans seem to feel they are the keepers of).

I do think I would think it was funny if I was on the other side too (I think I may be one of the only people in the world who kinda likes Manny Ramirez).

As someone else said, if guys like Trevor Hoffman, Mike Cameron and Craig Counsel are not only ok with this, but participating in it, then its ok with me. The Brewers do not taunt people, they don't point at individual players, they don't go out of their way to be disrespectful or embarrass someone...they have fun and do things in ways that have not traditionally been done. Who cares?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2233 on: September 08, 2009, 06:19:04 PM »
I thought it was quite funny, and frankly I applaud the Brewers for being willing to rip a few pages out of the hopelessly outdated baseball etiquette book (the book that miserable bastard Tony LaRussa, the St. Louis Cardinals and their idiot fans seem to feel they are the keepers of).

I do think I would think it was funny if I was on the other side too (I think I may be one of the only people in the world who kinda likes Manny Ramirez).

As someone else said, if guys like Trevor Hoffman, Mike Cameron and Craig Counsel are not only ok with this, but participating in it, then its ok with me. The Brewers do not taunt people, they don't point at individual players, they don't go out of their way to be disrespectful or embarrass someone...they have fun and do things in ways that have not traditionally been done. Who cares?

I'm hoping next week that people run across the green while Tiger is putting, too.   ;)   

The good thing is that baseball will police their own and an ear hole shot is coming, rest assured. 

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #2234 on: September 08, 2009, 06:29:35 PM »
I'm hoping next week that people run across the green while Tiger is putting, too.   ;)   

The good thing is that baseball will police their own and an ear hole shot is coming, rest assured. 

While I appreciate the "police their own" aspect of baseball to a certain extent, is this the kind of thing that needs policing?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2235 on: September 08, 2009, 06:34:52 PM »

Well, that's almost the same thing.

To jump on IAm's point below, why does this need to be policed? What exactly is it about what they did that needs to be policed?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2236 on: September 08, 2009, 06:36:52 PM »

Just so we're clear on what that quote means...you think it's a good thing that a pitcher is going to try to hit Prince Fielder or another Brewer in the head?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2237 on: September 08, 2009, 08:55:19 PM »
It was different, it was funny, it is something that will probably be copied.   It did no one any harm and it got a cheap giggle and brought the team a few moments of unity.   Lighten up, Frances.    On the other hand, I thought Randy Moss's stunt at Lambeau was hilarious, too.   So maybe it is just me. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #2238 on: September 08, 2009, 09:47:50 PM »
It was different, it was funny, it is something that will probably be copied.   It did no one any harm and it got a cheap giggle and brought the team a few moments of unity.   Lighten up, Frances.    On the other hand, I thought Randy Moss's stunt at Lambeau was hilarious, too.   So maybe it is just me. 

Everybody but Joe Buck thought it was funny. I hate Randy Moss (not quite as much as I did when he was a Viking), but you've gotta give it to him on that one.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2239 on: September 09, 2009, 12:33:07 AM »
Just so we're clear on what that quote means...you think it's a good thing that a pitcher is going to try to hit Prince Fielder or another Brewer in the head?

No, I wouldn't want him to actually hit him, but buzzing the tower on a few pitches I think would be a riot.   :)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2240 on: September 09, 2009, 12:36:01 AM »
Well, that's almost the same thing.

To jump on IAm's point below, why does this need to be policed? What exactly is it about what they did that needs to be policed?

I guess that's kind of my point, who gets to decide what is acceptable and not acceptable?  Seems to me its the players.  I put the golf example in there because what is to prevent another player from doing that?  Why were the Europeans so pissed off at the US in the Ryder Cup a few years back from celebrating on the greens? 

There are examples everywhere and I'll again say it depends on who's ox was gored.  If the Brits did that in the Ryder Cup we would be pissed, but we call them stuffy since we were the ones that did the celebrating. 

As I said earlier, I thought what the Brewers did was funny, I think most fans do.  But there are an awful lot of players, the guys that actually play the game, that although they thought it was funny don't believe it belongs in baseball.  As such, it's THEIR game and they will police it in my opinion.

LON

• All American
« Reply #2241 on: September 09, 2009, 07:26:38 AM »
I don't see how anyone could get pissed at essentially a team-wide fat joke at Prince's expense...

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2242 on: September 09, 2009, 07:32:34 AM »

If they want to set the standard for low.  That's what the whole Dodgers-Guillermo Mota thing was about.  When the Brewers hit Manny it was your usual straight as a string fastball to the back.  Mota hit Fielder with a sharp cutter at the knee.  If the Giants want to hit Fielder I would hope they have the common sense not to go for his earhole.

LON

• All American
« Reply #2243 on: September 09, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
If they want to set the standard for low.  That's what the whole Dodgers-Guillermo Mota thing was about.  When the Brewers hit Manny it was your usual straight as a string fastball to the back.  Mota hit Fielder with a sharp cutter at the knee.  If the Giants want to hit Fielder I would hope they have the common sense not to go for his earhole.

But wasn't it Dave Bush who hit him?

And Bush throws at his hardest, what, 88mph?

EDIT:  And if I had to guess the Brewers pitcher with the most hit batters, it's Bush.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2244 on: September 09, 2009, 07:42:44 AM »
I put the golf example in there because what is to prevent another player from doing that? 

The PGA.

Why were the Europeans so pissed off at the US in the Ryder Cup a few years back from celebrating on the greens? 

Because they just got their asses whipped after having a seemingly insurmountable lead.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2245 on: September 09, 2009, 08:12:32 AM »

EDIT:  And if I had to guess the Brewers pitcher with the most hit batters, it's Bush.

Bush leads the NL in hit batters even though he missed a few weeks.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2246 on: September 09, 2009, 08:26:04 AM »
The reason baseball is losing fans is because a lot of the fun has been sucked out of the game by people who are fun-haters (Tony LaRussa)

On the other hand, the Brewers are WAY out of the playoffs and still get people to show up to games.

I wonder why that is?  Might it be that the games are actually... dare I say it... fun?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2247 on: September 09, 2009, 08:32:39 AM »
The reason baseball is losing fans is because a lot of the fun has been sucked out of the game by people who are fun-haters (Tony LaRussa)

On the other hand, the Brewers are WAY out of the playoffs and still get people to show up to games.

I wonder why that is?  Might it be that the games are actually... dare I say it... fun?

Baseball is losing relative popularity because it is a game that doesn't translate well on television in an era where television is extremely important to a sport's popularity.

And this Brewer fan would trade LaRussa for Macha in a heartbeat.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #2248 on: September 09, 2009, 09:12:36 AM »
I guess that's kind of my point, who gets to decide what is acceptable and not acceptable?  Seems to me its the players.  I put the golf example in there because what is to prevent another player from doing that?  Why were the Europeans so pissed off at the US in the Ryder Cup a few years back from celebrating on the greens? 

There are examples everywhere and I'll again say it depends on who's ox was gored.  If the Brits did that in the Ryder Cup we would be pissed, but we call them stuffy since we were the ones that did the celebrating. 

As I said earlier, I thought what the Brewers did was funny, I think most fans do.  But there are an awful lot of players, the guys that actually play the game, that although they thought it was funny don't believe it belongs in baseball.  As such, it's THEIR game and they will police it in my opinion.

The game was OVER!!!!!

When the US celebrated on the green, Olazabal still had a long putt to half the hole.  The Europeans were pissed because a) a bunch of US guys stepped in Olazabal's line b) the celebration was a bit early since they hadn't actually clinched anything yet.

I would highly doubt there is any retailiation for this celebratory outburst on a walk-off home run, but I guess you never know.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2249 on: September 09, 2009, 09:13:32 AM »

It was Chris Smith, who throws just as soft.

And chapman, it wasn't a "straight as a string fastball to the back." It was a fastball that rode inside and got him on the forearm. There was nothing remotely intentional about it.