collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461274 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #1900 on: July 16, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »
Ummm...yes, it could very well mean this. Bankruptcy would allow the Cubs to liquidate contracts, if they choose to. It would be the court's decision, not necessarily MLBs.

There was a nice article about the possibilities in the Trib a week or so ago. I'll have to find it.

Bankruptcy generally does not allow an employer to liquidate an employee contract that was agreed to under the terms of a CBA with a union.  

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #1901 on: July 16, 2009, 03:38:46 PM »
Ummm...yes, it could very well mean this. Bankruptcy would allow the Cubs to liquidate contracts, if they choose to. It would be the court's decision, not necessarily MLBs.

There was a nice article about the possibilities in the Trib a week or so ago. I'll have to find it.

This won't happen for obvious reasons as these contracts will be exempt from the bankruptcy proceedings but I kinda wish they would let the Cubs do this.  There is no way they would be able to field a competitive team (one that could win even 60 games) for the forseeable future after dumping fully guaranteed player contracts, the MLBPA would see to that by making sure not a single free agent signed there for a heck of a long time.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1902 on: July 16, 2009, 04:32:48 PM »
The Cubs have been bankrupt in left and right fields all season.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1903 on: July 17, 2009, 07:57:22 AM »
This won't happen for obvious reasons as these contracts will be exempt from the bankruptcy proceedings but I kinda wish they would let the Cubs do this.  There is no way they would be able to field a competitive team (one that could win even 60 games) for the forseeable future after dumping fully guaranteed player contracts, the MLBPA would see to that by making sure not a single free agent signed there for a heck of a long time.

too bad?  be smarter with your money?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #1904 on: July 17, 2009, 09:38:56 AM »
too bad?  be smarter with your money?

Reread my post, I want them to be able to do it and then actually be idiotic enough to do it so that they would be horrible for quite awhile.  However, this never, ever had a chance of actually happening.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1905 on: July 17, 2009, 12:03:38 PM »
I'd just like to point out that the Cubs are the only thing that brings money in for the Tribune Company.  Their television, newspapers, and other ventures all lose money.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1906 on: July 17, 2009, 12:06:17 PM »
Also,

The Cubs ERA in the second half:  1.00
The Brewers ERA in the second half:  6.00

Ouch!  ;D

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #1907 on: July 17, 2009, 01:03:43 PM »
I'd just like to point out that the Cubs are the only thing that brings money in for the Tribune Company.  Their television, newspapers, and other ventures all lose money.

yep, i have no idea why sam zell ever bought the trib, especially since he always had his sights set on selling his most profitable asset

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1908 on: July 17, 2009, 01:07:25 PM »
Also,

The Cubs ERA in the second half:  1.00
The Brewers ERA in the second half:  6.00

Ouch!  ;D

The Brewers are scoring runs at a clip of 9.0 per game in the second half.  Fielder is averaging one homer and 3 RBI's per game.  And Hardy is hitting .500 in the second half.  And the Brewers are undefeated.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • āœ… Verified Member
« Reply #1909 on: July 17, 2009, 01:25:21 PM »
The Brewers are scoring runs at a clip of 9.0 per game in the second half.  Fielder is averaging one homer and 3 RBI's per game.  And Hardy is hitting .500 in the second half.  And the Brewers are undefeated.

In addition, Brandon Looper has started 100% of our games and is batting 1.000.

Best pitcher of all time?!?  More at 10, back to you Charles.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1910 on: July 17, 2009, 01:29:07 PM »
Yep. Hard to believe that after such a sub-par first half, Prince Fielder is projected to finish with 96 HR and 300 RBI.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1911 on: July 18, 2009, 12:48:41 AM »
Yep. Hard to believe that after such a sub-par first half, Prince Fielder is projected to finish with 96 HR and 300 RBI.

Haha I would have went with "you guys are playing the Nats".

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1912 on: July 18, 2009, 09:58:53 AM »
Haha I would have went with "you guys are playing the Nats".

Gotta save that one for Sunday. actually, the Phillies will probably provide all the reminder necessary next week.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1913 on: July 19, 2009, 12:12:47 AM »
ESPN has a report on their website how the Brewers have a pretty easy 2nd half schedule compared to other teams in contention. It's all theirs for the taking if they wish to get it done.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #1914 on: July 19, 2009, 07:33:16 AM »
ESPN has a report on their website how the Brewers have a pretty easy 2nd half schedule compared to other teams in contention. It's all theirs for the taking if they wish to get it done.

I am not an Insider, so I cannot read the article...but it should say they have an easy end of July/August. It gets significantly harder in September.

July/August (in total games)
Atl x 3
Was x 8
SD x 6
LAD x 3
Hou x 6
Cin x 3 (not including today)
Pit x 6

This is what their September schedule looks like...
@ Stl (3)
vs. SF (3)
vs. Stl (3)
@ Ari (3)
@ Chi (4)
vs. Hou (3)
vs. Chi (3)
vs. Phi (4)
@ Col (3)
@ Stl (3)

That is brutal. Every team could have something to lay for, except Arizona.  They need to win ALOT of games in July/August.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1915 on: July 19, 2009, 10:01:43 AM »

That is brutal. Every team could have something to lay for, except Arizona.  They need to win ALOT of games in July/August.

Yeah, but if they can go something like 24-15 in Jul/Aug (seems very realistic), a .500 Sep/Oct gets them to 87-88 wins, especially given who they play, that probably gets it done. All depends who, if anyone they acquire in the next week or two, because the current team likley isn't good enough.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1916 on: July 19, 2009, 10:06:39 AM »
Anyone else think ARam looks like he wasn't quite ready to come back? Time will tell, but I continue to think there is a relatively high liklihood that decision comes back to haunt the Cubs.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1917 on: July 19, 2009, 04:55:56 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1919 on: July 20, 2009, 07:23:47 AM »
Right but it says who came up with the music and who asked permission to use it.

Also I've decided I want the Brewers to get Halladay. I want you to give up all your money and prospects for him. Think about it. There's no way he can top what C.C. Did last year. And even with C.C. being nearly perfect the only reason you made the playoffs is because Lou decided to throw a different pitcher every inning including the bad bad Bob Howry.

Plus even with him it still leaves you with a bad rotation. So go get him Brewers! 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1920 on: July 20, 2009, 08:28:35 AM »
Melvin won't give up the two players (Escobar and Gamel) that would be required to get Halladay... or any other pitcher for that matter, because it is a terrible idea in the long run and he knows it.

Its great to make the playoffs, but don't trade away the future of the franchise for Halladay.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1921 on: July 20, 2009, 11:24:49 AM »
Right but it says who came up with the music and who asked permission to use it.

Also I've decided I want the Brewers to get Halladay. I want you to give up all your money and prospects for him. Think about it. There's no way he can top what C.C. Did last year. And even with C.C. being nearly perfect the only reason you made the playoffs is because Lou decided to throw a different pitcher every inning including the bad bad Bob Howry.

Plus even with him it still leaves you with a bad rotation. So go get him Brewers!
OK TT you are right, Frank copied him despite having the music as his walk-up music without ever hearing Beckham's.  You really proved it to me there.

Also the Brewers absolutely would not have won that game had Lou not thrown different pitchers?  Even with CC pitching a complete game and giving up only 1 run?  I still like our chances.  Not to mention, if we lose that game, we still have a 1 game playoff to make the playoffs.  But again, you are absolutely right, the absolute only reason the Brewers made the playoffs last year was because Sweet Lou pitched bad pitchers in the last game of the season.  And that was probably Sweet Lou's biggest mistake (which is saying quite a lot to be honest with you).  You have a chance to keep a team from your own division out of the playoffs and to play the Wild Card team instead of a division winner, but you just throw the game, let the division team get into the playoffs, and thus play a much better team in the division winner, just to get swept.  I'm really glad you brought that up.

And you're 1 game up on the Brewers right now.  I really hope we do get Halladay.  You'd try to play it all cool and say the rotation still sucks, but if Manny Parra continues to pitch like he has since coming back up (I wouldn't count on it, but IF...he's pitched 13 innings and given up 1 run since being called back up), then you're going to tell me a rotation of Halladay, Gallardo, and Parra as 1, 2, 3, and then Looper 4 and either Bush (if healthy) or Suppan 5 is a BAD rotation?  If you are going to tell me that then you have absolutely 0 baseball credibility.  Even if Parra sucks it up again and it's Halladay, Gallardo, Looper, Suppan, and Bush, that is not a BAD rotation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1922 on: July 20, 2009, 12:13:12 PM »
You'd try to play it all cool and say the rotation still sucks, but if Manny Parra continues to pitch like he has since coming back up (I wouldn't count on it, but IF...he's pitched 13 innings and given up 1 run since being called back up), then you're going to tell me a rotation of Halladay, Gallardo, and Parra as 1, 2, 3, and then Looper 4 and either Bush (if healthy) or Suppan 5 is a BAD rotation?  If you are going to tell me that then you have absolutely 0 baseball credibility.  Even if Parra sucks it up again and it's Halladay, Gallardo, Looper, Suppan, and Bush, that is not a BAD rotation.

Gallardo - Good
Halladay - Good

Looper - Bad
Parra - Bad
Suppan - Bad
Bush - Bad

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1923 on: July 20, 2009, 12:16:21 PM »
And you're 1 game up on the Brewers right now.You'd try to play it all cool and say the rotation still sucks.

I was playing it cool when we were down 4 games on the Brewers too.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1924 on: July 20, 2009, 01:32:51 PM »
I was playing it cool when we were down 4 games on the Brewers too.
I'm glad you left the middle part of my post alone because you had absolutely nothing there.  Desperate attempt that was thrown right back at you.