[Today at 11:28:12 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461442 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #1700 on: June 29, 2009, 12:30:21 PM »
maybe you've missed it, but every reply that wade makes is not directed towards you...

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1701 on: June 29, 2009, 12:31:35 PM »
I meant what I said.  He has been lower this year, but for you to assert that Soto is a better defensive catcher than Kendall is pretty ridiculous.

I consider myself a pretty balanced fan... I know the Brewers are screwed for this year, and I would be thrilled if they were in the playoff hunt in August/Sept... but I don't see it happening.
I never denied that Kendall has historically been a good defensive catcher....he was a Cub....I remember.  All I was doing was using this season's stats for throwing out runners....it really wasn't meant to be a comprehensive comparison between the two.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1702 on: June 29, 2009, 12:33:26 PM »
maybe you've missed it, but every reply that wade makes is not directed towards you...

Thanks.  Usually when someone quotes your post in their response it would seem as if it's directed back to you...no?

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #1703 on: July 03, 2009, 04:46:01 PM »
What a joke.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #1704 on: July 03, 2009, 11:58:10 PM »
Let's take another look.

Who will be the first to argue that this wasn't a gift to the Cubs?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1705 on: July 04, 2009, 12:07:35 AM »
Looks borderline to me, could go either way.  I'd like to know how the ump had been calling those pitches all game before rendering a verdict.  If that pitch was a ball all game, then I'd say he was consistent.  Honestly, a call either way on that pitch would not be surprising.  I thought strike one in that count was outside.  Earlier in the game, the Cubs walked in a Brewer, that was another close pitch but the ump got it right (it was inside) IMO.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 12:09:19 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1706 on: July 04, 2009, 12:28:59 AM »
Few if any umpires call the high strike.

EDIT:  Plus the umpire isn't going to call a strike on that when DeFelice had already walked two guys in the inning.  That's not going to help you get the benefit of the doubt.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 12:31:51 AM by TallTitan34 »

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #1707 on: July 04, 2009, 01:21:19 AM »

EDIT:  Plus the umpire isn't going to call a strike on that when DeFelice had already walked two guys in the inning.  That's not going to help you get the benefit of the doubt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the two other walks in the inning were intentional... why would an ump hold those against a pitcher?

Whatever, just one game.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1708 on: July 04, 2009, 06:56:13 AM »

That is a ridiculous statement.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #1709 on: July 04, 2009, 08:50:59 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the two other walks in the inning were intentional... why would an ump hold those against a pitcher?

Whatever, just one game.

Intentional? After going 3-0 I guess it was officially intentional, but he was all over the place.

Having said that, I believe that was a questionable call. But calling it a "gift" is a little much considering the bases were loaded. Were all three of those runners "gifts?"

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #1710 on: July 04, 2009, 08:51:37 AM »

Whatever, just one game.

I promised myself I wouldn't get into this tread, but according to the JS article, "The Brewers failed to put away the Cubs with several opportunities before reliever Mark DiFelice got into trouble in the 10th. Ryan Theriot singled and, with two outs and first base open, DiFelice intentionally walked Milton Bradley. After falling behind, 3-0, to Geovany Soto, DiFelice intentionally walked him to load the bases."

So, the 2nd walk goes in the books as intentional, but only because he couldn't get a strike in the 3 prior pitches.  So, in a way, you are both right.  In the end, the earth is still revolving, and there still is half the season left.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #1711 on: July 04, 2009, 08:52:29 AM »
Jinx

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1712 on: July 04, 2009, 11:38:56 AM »
We have fans in high places..

Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #1713 on: July 04, 2009, 12:55:04 PM »
I really enjoyed Soriano charging in on that ball only to have it go over his head by a few feet for a double just now. 

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1716 on: July 04, 2009, 08:49:12 PM »
I really enjoyed Soriano charging in on that ball only to have it go over his head by a few feet for a double just now. 

See I really enjoyed Corey Hart having the ball hit his glove only to fall out.  That's just me though  ;D

That is a ridiculous statement.

Is it really that ridiculous?  You've never seen a situation where a pitcher is struggling with his command and the umpire won't give him a close call?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1717 on: July 04, 2009, 08:53:55 PM »
Also rather than start a thread for this, I wanted to say I love Manny Ramirez.  But was it really necessary for FOX to cut into other games to watch day 2 of Manny's return?

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #1718 on: July 04, 2009, 08:57:50 PM »
See I really enjoyed Corey Hart having the ball hit his glove only to fall out.  That's just me though  ;D

Whenever I am feeling down, nothing cheers me up more than watching  Milton Bradley attempt to play the outfield.  He's a joke, where you know the punchline...but you still laugh your ass off anyways.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #1719 on: July 04, 2009, 11:11:37 PM »
Also rather than start a thread for this, I wanted to say I love Manny Ramirez.  But was it really necessary for FOX to cut into other games to watch day 2 of Manny's return?

That sure was strange.  Especially since it wasn't even day 1.  Oh well, my fantasy team sure appreciated his home run.

And for the record, I really like Manny too.  I think we've all pretty much come to terms with the fact that anyone who's anyone over the last decade-ish in baseball was on something.  Either way, I think Manny is second only to Pujols when considering the best pure hitters of this generation. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1720 on: July 05, 2009, 02:18:34 AM »
That sure was strange.  Especially since it wasn't even day 1.  Oh well, my fantasy team sure appreciated his home run.

And for the record, I really like Manny too.  I think we've all pretty much come to terms with the fact that anyone who's anyone over the last decade-ish in baseball was on something.  Either way, I think Manny is second only to Pujols when considering the best pure hitters of this generation. 

Agreed. No matter what he was on, he can see the ball better than anyone in the majors.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #1721 on: July 05, 2009, 07:42:28 AM »
Agreed. No matter what he was on, he can see the ball better than anyone in the majors.

Um...Pujols?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1722 on: July 05, 2009, 11:35:18 AM »
Angels should have tried winning one of the games in Anaheim in that series. Sour grapes my friend, sour grapes  ;)

True, but the Angels did win one game...the first game in Chicago.  And if they win that game with the blown call, they go home up 2-0....totally different series.  That loss killed them.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 12:36:28 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1723 on: July 05, 2009, 01:33:48 PM »
True, but the Angels did win one game...the first game in Chicago.  And if they win that game with the blown call, they go home up 2-0....totally different series.  That loss killed them.

I was there for Game 1 when the Angels win, only Sox loss of the entire playoffs. Remarkable run that postseason, one of the best runs a starting staff has ever had in the playoffs.

Perhaps a different series if that call goes differently, but they still went home tied in that series 1-1. 3 more games weren't decided by that one call.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1724 on: July 05, 2009, 05:10:56 PM »
Good weekend. Took 3 of 4. Aramis, Guz & Reed return on Monday.

As bad as the Cubs have been and all the problems wadesworld has documented, they still have the best chance to take the division.

feedback