[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461478 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #1425 on: May 13, 2009, 04:00:36 PM »
Everybody knew Gagne was washed up but Melvin it appears. 

If that's your view on steroids in baseball (and one that's shared by just about anyone following the sport), then why bring up the 'face of the franchise' thing in the first place...what's the difference then if the majority of players are doing it?  If that's the case then it's probable that the face of the Brewers franchise in '98 was probably doing them too...the only difference is nobody knows who that was.

The first few times I saw Turnbow pitch I remember thinking the Cubs are f*cked, because he had great stuff...then he turned into Farnsworth.

What does Braun's crying have to do with what he does in subsequent at bats?  I would hope that he could put down the tissues long enough to focus on a two minute AB.
It appears so.  It seems like he figured that out this year.

I just think it's funny that someone makes fun of Sammy Sosa, the face of the Chicago Scrubs for 10 years, for being on steroids, and the response by a Scrubs fan is to bring up 2 players who meant absolutely nothing to the Milwaukee Brewers while they played for 1 season in Milwaukee.

If by great stuff you meant a 97 mph fastball that was straight as a line yet he couldn't control it, so it was either going yard or a walk, then yes, he had great stuff.  Same deal with Capellan a couple years back.  I hated those 2.

You Scrubs fans always talk about him crying for so long after he gets hit.  I just wonder how he is able to skeet all over the face of those pitchers who hit him if he is that busy crying.  In fact the only time I heard him complain about being hit was after the Pirates hit him, and he was saying in hind site that the pitch was too high.  You all make it sound like he complains every time he gets hit, when in reality he goes yard in the next at bat much more often than he complains about it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1426 on: May 13, 2009, 05:09:06 PM »
I just think it's funny that someone makes fun of Sammy Sosa, the face of the Chicago Scrubs for 10 years, for being on steroids, and the response by a Scrubs fan is to bring up 2 players who meant absolutely nothing to the Milwaukee Brewers while they played for 1 season in Milwaukee.

If by great stuff you meant a 97 mph fastball that was straight as a line yet he couldn't control it, so it was either going yard or a walk, then yes, he had great stuff.  Same deal with Capellan a couple years back.  I hated those 2.

You Scrubs fans always talk about him crying for so long after he gets hit.  I just wonder how he is able to skeet all over the face of those pitchers who hit him if he is that busy crying.  In fact the only time I heard him complain about being hit was after the Pirates hit him, and he was saying in hind site that the pitch was too high.  You all make it sound like he complains every time he gets hit, when in reality he goes yard in the next at bat much more often than he complains about it.

This point has been made already....we'll try again....the point of bringing up Turnbow and Gagne was they actually tested positive (Turnbow being the first to ever do so)....it's really not that complicated.  Like it or not, something Sammy never did.  Facts are facts.  I'm not sure what's so confusing about this.  Yes, Sosa was the marquee player on the Cubs for a long time...as he would've been on any other team.  Three 60 HR seasons and an MVP will do that....allegedly juiced or not.  Frankly, who cares?  Things are clearly different now.  I'm sure Geoff Jenkins was fun to watch though. (please turn this into a long drawn out debate over Sosa, that would be great)

I'm pretty sure Turnbow was meaningful to Brewer fans when he was saving 40 games...he was on the opening day roster for at least 4 years...Gagne was just a disaster. 

In terms of Braun...another point that was already made....his crying and his success in future ABs are not mutually exclusive events.  He was complaining about the Pittsburgh thing for days...against the Cubs he was squaring around to bunt, the ball came inside and hit his bat...he got a free base instead of a strike...live with it.  The Cubs are down by 2 in the bottom of the 7th, do you think they want to put someone on in front of Fielder?  Instead, he takes first base and is crying the whole time standing there.  He's developing quite a repuation.  Watch for yourself.  Then he changes his tune in the post-game press conference saying he didn't think it was intentional....well, which is it? 

http://www.brewcrewball.com/2009/5/10/870960/why-bob-brenly-hates-ryan-braun

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #1427 on: May 13, 2009, 05:14:28 PM »
Sosa, Bonds, and Clemens all never tested positive... and since they never tested positive MarquetteFan94... can you honestly 100% say they were clean?

Because I think I can honestly 100% say that all three took some sort of steroid, and I(with America) doesn't need a positive result to say that.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1428 on: May 13, 2009, 05:14:58 PM »
This point has been made already....we'll try again....the point of bringing up Turnbow and Gagne was they actually tested positive (Turnbow being the first to ever do so)....it's really not that complicated.  Like it or not, something Sammy never did.  Facts are facts.  I'm not sure what's so confusing about this.  Yes, Sosa was the marquee player on the Cubs for a long time...as he would've been on any other team.  Three 60 HR seasons and an MVP will do that....allegedly juiced or not.  Frankly, who cares?  Things are clearly different now.  I'm sure Geoff Jenkins was fun to watch though. (please turn this into a long drawn out debate over Sosa, that would be great)

I'm pretty sure Turnbow was meaningful to Brewer fans when he was saving 40 games...he was on the opening day roster for at least 4 years...Gagne was just a disaster. 

In terms of Braun...another point that was already made....his crying and his success in future ABs are not mutually exclusive events.  He was complaining about the Pittsburgh thing for days...against the Cubs he was squaring around to bunt, the ball came inside and hit his bat...he got a free base instead of a strike...live with it.  The Cubs are down by 2 in the bottom of the 7th, do you think they want to put someone on in front of Fielder?  Instead, he takes first base and is crying the whole time standing there.  He's developing quite a repuation.  Watch for yourself.  Then he changes his tune in the post-game press conference saying he didn't think it was intentional....well, which is it? 

http://www.brewcrewball.com/2009/5/10/870960/why-bob-brenly-hates-ryan-braun
I'm not saying Sosa was bad, or bad to have on the team.  He roided, he dominated, the end.  I would've loved for him to be a Brewer because he was good.

I never liked Turnbow.  I'm not saying no fans did, or nobody did.  I personally did not.

He was crying for days?  Really?  I saw 1 article with 1 quote in it.  That is it.  Yes, on 1B he was complaining about a pitch coming for his head.  You wouldn't?  Let's forget about whether it actually hit his helmet or not before hitting the bat.  Regardless, it came very, very close to his head.  You're telling me that would not be scary?  A lot of people would have started started yelling at the pitcher, maybe clearing the bench for that.  Yes, he complained about it.  You're kidding yourself if you say a lot of people would NOT complain about that, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT HIT HIS HEAD OR NOT...IT WAS WAY TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT.

And then he nutted on Dumpster and laughed in his face while doing so.  The end.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1429 on: May 13, 2009, 05:15:12 PM »
Sosa, Bonds, and Clemens all never tested positive... and since they never tested positive MarquetteFan94... can you honestly 100% say they were clean?

Because I think I can honestly 100% say that all three took some sort of steroid, and I(with America) doesn't need a positive result to say that.
Well put

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1430 on: May 13, 2009, 05:25:11 PM »

Of course you can't say they were clean....and I've already said as much about Sosa....all you have to do is compare pictures of the guy.  Baseball wasn't testing then...that's the point.  The players mentioned tested positive, Sosa has not.  Anyone who thinks Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, Clemens and countless others didn't use then they need to have their heads examined....which I've said all along.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1431 on: May 13, 2009, 05:32:38 PM »
I'm not saying Sosa was bad, or bad to have on the team.  He roided, he dominated, the end.  I would've loved for him to be a Brewer because he was good.

I never liked Turnbow.  I'm not saying no fans did, or nobody did.  I personally did not.

He was crying for days?  Really?  I saw 1 article with 1 quote in it.  That is it.  Yes, on 1B he was complaining about a pitch coming for his head.  You wouldn't?  Let's forget about whether it actually hit his helmet or not before hitting the bat.  Regardless, it came very, very close to his head.  You're telling me that would not be scary?  A lot of people would have started started yelling at the pitcher, maybe clearing the bench for that.  Yes, he complained about it.  You're kidding yourself if you say a lot of people would NOT complain about that, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT HIT HIS HEAD OR NOT...IT WAS WAY TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT.

And then he nutted on Dumpster and laughed in his face while doing so.  The end.

Can we stop with the ejaculation references already?  It's becoming worrisome.  We get it, he hit a home run off Dempster in his next AB.

You're asking me what I'd do if I just got buzzed by a 90mph fastball in the major leagues?  As much as I'd like to, I'm not qualified to answer that question.  Being scared out of your mind is one thing but sitting there pointing to the pitcher, yapping it up is another....it's part of the game and even he apparently thought it was not intentional an hour later.

Braun complainig:
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/04/29/ryan-braun-is-still-upset/

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 05:47:10 PM by MarquetteFan94 »

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #1432 on: May 13, 2009, 05:47:26 PM »
Of course you can't say they were clean....and I've already said as much about Sosa....all you have to do is compare pictures of the guy.  Baseball wasn't testing then...that's the point.  The players mentioned tested positive, Sosa has not.  Anyone who thinks Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, Clemens and countless others didn't use then they need to have their heads examined....which I've said all along.

So then can both sides (Cubs and Brewers) stop pointing fingers as to who had more players take steroids... both teams are guilty, why point fingers at opposing team players?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1433 on: May 13, 2009, 06:40:26 PM »
You're asking me what I'd do if I just got buzzed by a 90mph fastball in the major leagues?  As much as I'd like to, I'm not qualified to answer that question.  Being scared out of your mind is one thing but sitting there pointing to the pitcher, yapping it up is another....it's part of the game and even he apparently thought it was not intentional an hour later.

Braun complainig:
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/04/29/ryan-braun-is-still-upset/
Fair enough about not knowing what you'd do, but honestly, how many times have you seen benches clear because a ball was thrown above a person's head, behind a person, etc.?  It happens ALL the time.  Yes, Braun yapped at him while he was at first.  Many people yap at the pitcher while they're still in the box, walking to first, etc. and the benches end up clearing.  You're acting as if he's the only player in the MLB who would do this.  IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!  You're kidding yourself if you don't think people would yap at first base after having a baseball hit/come within centimeters of hitting/whatever you want to call that pitch your head unless it was Ryan Braun.

Did you see Josh Beckett throw over the head of...forget who it was, but a brawl started.  Did you see Game 3 of the NLCS last year...the benches cleared.  Etc.  It happens man.  Should we label everyone a crybaby who has taken part in a brawl?  What do you call Zambrano?  He was TAKING HIS BELT OFF DURING A BRAWL.  What a joke that was.  Is he a crybaby?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1434 on: May 14, 2009, 12:58:32 AM »
3 way tie atop the NL Central.  St. Louis and Milwaukee are obviously in it.  Who else?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:00:43 AM by wadesworld »

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #1435 on: May 14, 2009, 05:49:53 AM »
Wadesworld, as a fellow Brewers fan I appreciate your passion, but could you please stop using lame nicknames (Scrubs, Chubs etc) for the Cubs? You sound like JayBee and his constant use of the highly original term "fudge Packers." Tiresome.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1436 on: May 14, 2009, 07:27:17 AM »
Wadesworld, as a fellow Brewers fan I appreciate your passion, but could you please stop using lame nicknames (Scrubs, Chubs etc) for the Cubs? You sound like JayBee and his constant use of the highly original term "fudge Packers." Tiresome.

But it's SO clever.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1437 on: May 14, 2009, 08:56:12 AM »
3 way tie atop the NL Central.  St. Louis and Milwaukee are obviously in it.  Who else?

Ha...seriously, pop the champagne.  It's getting late in the season, I hope the Cubs can somehow overcome their half-game deficit over the next 129 games.  At least we have a better home record.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1438 on: May 14, 2009, 11:45:14 AM »
But it's SO clever.
Nah, I wouldn't necessarily say clever.  I'd just say it's more of the truth.  It is what they are, just scrubs.  I could always change it up and refer to them as Completely Useless By September, which they also are.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1439 on: May 14, 2009, 12:41:29 PM »
Nah, I wouldn't necessarily say clever.  I'd just say it's more of the truth.  It is what they are, just scrubs.  I could always change it up and refer to them as Completely Useless By September, which they also are.

Do you refer to the team that has won back to back division titles?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1440 on: May 14, 2009, 12:50:23 PM »
Do you refer to the team that has won back to back division titles?

I'm confused, are division titles the same as world championships?

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #1441 on: May 14, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »
Regardless of their name.. have we looked at the standings...

Holy Moly, I mean I understand that we are 34-35 games in, but goodness

Cinci, Mil and StL all 20-14

Cubbies at 19-14

I know its early, but this could be an extremely fun summer.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1442 on: May 14, 2009, 01:04:20 PM »
I'm confused, are division titles the same as world championships?

Are world Championships played in September?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #1443 on: May 14, 2009, 01:06:46 PM »
Regardless of their name.. have we looked at the standings...

Holy Moly, I mean I understand that we are 34-35 games in, but goodness

Cinci, Mil and StL all 20-14

Cubbies at 19-14

I know its early, but this could be an extremely fun summer.

Especially when you consider this is the same record the Cubs had after 33 games last year.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1444 on: May 14, 2009, 01:08:03 PM »
What are we thinking is a realistic amount of wins to win the division?

I am saying 89-91

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1445 on: May 14, 2009, 01:14:21 PM »

I am saying 89-91

93+

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #1446 on: May 14, 2009, 01:25:04 PM »

I am saying 89-91

It will be tops in the National League.

Whatever that may be.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1447 on: May 14, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »

wadesworld

• All American

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1449 on: May 14, 2009, 02:41:37 PM »
CAN I PLAY!?

feedback