[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461493 times)

LON

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #1375 on: May 12, 2009, 08:46:13 AM »
I don't expect retaliation. We're talking about a guy who hangs his head in the strike zone. Just because he's Jewish and has his own line of Afflicition rip-off shirts, doesn't mean he can try to squeeze the zone. The pitch either hit his bat or was within mere millimeters of the bat, Dempster threw a pitch that hit his bat. Add to the fact that Dempster has no prior history of throwing at batters, it's a mute point. Act like a man, Braun, and you may earn respect from the league.

I'd rather wear an Affliction-type shirt that comes from Braun's line than all the ACTUAL Affliction shirts you see at/around Wrigley Field

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1376 on: May 12, 2009, 09:04:57 AM »
I'd rather wear an Affliction-type shirt that comes from Braun's line than all the ACTUAL Affliction shirts you see at/around Wrigley Field

Or one of these gems from the loveable losers.  And yes, Milwaukee fans have their middle finger logo shirts blah blah blah...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1377 on: May 12, 2009, 09:19:22 AM »
marqptm, replace the word Jewish with Asian, Black, Muslim or whatever, and tell me that it matters to your argument whatsoever.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1378 on: May 12, 2009, 09:31:17 AM »
If you note, I wasn't on here after that series... I understood the problems the Brewers had at the start of the year, and didn't have much to say.

I love how as Cubs fans you downplay losing series like its no big deal, make fun of Brewer fans for rubbing it in your nose, but when the Cubs win a series, or make a push for the top spot in the NL Central (although we might as well understand that the Cardinals will be there all year)... however when the Cubs win a series against the Brewers, open the flood gates, give Soriano the MVP, give Zambrano the Cy Young, Captain Lou for Coach of the Year (how did that work for him last year?)... however when the Brewers win the series... who cares?  Life is all good in Wrigleyville.  102 Years?

So, you only post here when the Brewers are playing well?  Interesting....and no doubt the easy way out.  BTW, I didn't realize that the Cubs winning 7 of 10 (compared to the Brewers 6 of 10) and finishing a 3-3 road trip were in such dire straits for all the Cubs fans to stay away from posting here.

I'm not going to speak for all Cubs fans...but, sure, would we rather win or lose a series in May?  The answer is obvious.  At the same time, there's no reason to run and hide because you just lost a series on the road to one of the (if not the) hottest teams in baseball when we're decimated with injuries....and, yes, that does factor into the argument like it or not.

After the Brewers won their home opener over the Cubs...one game mind you....and went on to lose the series...there were people here quoting irrelevant Cincinnati broadcasters from last year, posting Cubs youtube videos, etc...again, it's the little things in life...I get it.

As it stands now, I'm happy with splitting the 6 games in Milwaukee...we'll see how it goes from here.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1379 on: May 12, 2009, 09:32:48 AM »
marqptm, replace the word Jewish with Asian, Black, Muslim or whatever, and tell me that it matters to your argument whatsoever.

The fact that he's received press as a Jewish player, he's called the Hebrew Hammer, and he's hope for Jewish baseball players. That's why.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1380 on: May 12, 2009, 09:38:57 AM »
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

LON

• All American
« Reply #1381 on: May 12, 2009, 09:59:03 AM »
The fact that he's received press as a Jewish player, he's called the Hebrew Hammer, and he's hope for Jewish baseball players. That's why.

All put on him by media/fans.  He said he's fine with it and it doesn't bother him but in no way claims he is Jewish.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1382 on: May 12, 2009, 10:08:42 AM »

Actually that would be Gabe Kapler who celebrates being Jewish in both ancestry and faith - unlike Braun who is only a half Jewish person who is not of the faith.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MarquetteFan94

• All American
Re: The Official Brewers & Scrubs Pissing Match
« Reply #1383 on: May 12, 2009, 10:27:15 AM »
He didn't when Braun beat them twice in the same series at Bush Stadium last year.  In fact Braun watched his home run much worse than he did against the Cubs and they still didn't throw at him.  And their commentators didn't say that he deserved to be hit.  Weird.

Do you actually know what the Cardinals commentators were saying after that game?  Now THAT would be weird.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Braun's last HR of that series was in the 9th inninng, correct?  Not a lot of chances to retaliate when the game ends.  If you check, I'm pretty sure Cameron was HBP of the first inninng the next time the two teams played each other....interesting.

It seems like Brewers fans forget about last year's incident with Edmonds....after hitting 2 HRs in a game, Gagne threw at his head in his next AB....and was ejected.  In the same game, McClung then threw his first pitch over Soto's head.  I'm guessing there was no issue with that though.

Seems like Braun is developing a repuation around the league....i.e. against Pittburgh two weeks ago with Karstens.

LON

• All American
« Reply #1384 on: May 12, 2009, 10:32:24 AM »
Do you actually know what the Cardinals commentators were saying after that game?  Now THAT would be weird.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Braun's last HR of that series was in the 9th inninng, correct?  Not a lot of chances to retaliate when the game ends.  If you check, I'm pretty sure Cameron was HBP of the first inninng the next time the two teams played each other....interesting.

It seems like Brewers fans forget about last year's incident with Edmonds....after hitting 2 HRs in a game, Gagne threw at his head in his next AB....and was ejected.  In the same game, McClung then threw his first pitch over Soto's head.  I'm guessing there was no issue with that though.

Seems like Braun is developing a repuation around the league....i.e. against Pittburgh two weeks ago with Karstens.

I'm pretty sure I'd throw at the All-Star of the team that has owned us for 17 straight too.  Pittsburgh is a bad example and you know it.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #1385 on: May 12, 2009, 10:41:01 AM »
I don't expect retaliation. We're talking about a guy who hangs his head in the strike zone. Just because he's Jewish and has his own line of Afflicition rip-off shirts, doesn't mean he can try to squeeze the zone. The pitch either hit his bat or was within mere millimeters of the bat, Dempster threw a pitch that hit his bat. Add to the fact that Dempster has no prior history of throwing at batters, it's a mute point. Act like a man, Braun, and you may earn respect from the league.

Yeah. And it might even be a moot point, too.

I'm trying to find a video of this game from anywhere, but I really don't think Braun squared around until well after Dempster was in his windup.  There was no one on base, and it was the first pitch of the inning, I believe.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1386 on: May 12, 2009, 10:48:53 AM »
I'm pretty sure I'd throw at the All-Star of the team that has owned us for 17 straight too.  Pittsburgh is a bad example and you know it.

How is that a bad example?  If anything it's a much more clear and blatant example of throwing at someone intentionally....actually hitting him (not another player in the lineup) after hitting a home run...in the same game.  What difference does it make what team it is or what the head-to-head record trend has been?  So, if the Cubs had lost to the Brewers 6 straight times, it would've been understandable to throw at Braun?  Interesting.

LON

• All American
« Reply #1387 on: May 12, 2009, 11:25:11 AM »
How is that a bad example?  If anything it's a much more clear and blatant example of throwing at someone intentionally....actually hitting him (not another player in the lineup) after hitting a home run...in the same game.  What difference does it make what team it is or what the head-to-head record trend has been?  So, if the Cubs had lost to the Brewers 6 straight times, it would've been understandable to throw at Braun?  Interesting.

The way I look at it is that EVERY PITCHER on Pittsburgh is tired of being the Brewers' whipping boy.  Thus, ANY EXCUSE they have will then be used to justify throwing at him.  Regardless if he had just hit a HR in the previous at-bat.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1388 on: May 12, 2009, 11:37:12 AM »
The way I look at it is that EVERY PITCHER on Pittsburgh is tired of being the Brewers' whipping boy.  Thus, ANY EXCUSE they have will then be used to justify throwing at him.  Regardless if he had just hit a HR in the previous at-bat.

I guess I understand your angle....but then why would Braun complain in the media and call out Selig to keep his attention on the remaining games between the two teams this season?  If anything, you'd think he'd laugh it off as, 'that's the only way they can keep us from scoring runs...we own them.' ...especially since he was hit in the back.  I guess that's the way he prefers to handle things.

BTW, he was quoted as saying that he did not think Dempster was throwing at him, correct?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1389 on: May 12, 2009, 11:38:15 AM »

They weren't saying that Braun deserved to be hit.

Also, do you really think that teams just forget about a grudge they have with a player if they don't get a chance to take care of it in one game?  I doubt that.  In fact, let's take the Scrubbies this weekend, for example.
Game 1 (Friday): 2-1 Scrubs in the bottom of the 8th, 1 on, Braun at the plate.  He absolutely hammers a pitch opposite field and watches it sail out of there to take a 3-2 lead.  Scrubbies fans take offense to the fact that he watches the ball leave the yard, despite the fact that it was effectively a game winner.  Heaven forbid he watched that home run.  Braun doesn't come up the rest of that night.
Game 2 (Saturday): Brewers seem to be in control of the game (admittedly the Scrubs make it close before the Brewers pull away again).  Braun comes up.  He takes one off of his head.  Were the Scrubs that pissed about his 0-1 day to that point?  I doubt it.  I'm guessing, although I could be wrong but it would be a little weird if 0-1 pissed them off that bad, that it was from him watching his game winning home run the night before, when he never came up again.  Just for good measure, Braun watches his home run leave in about .3 seconds and then stares down Dumpster the rest of the way in his next at bat.  Once again the Scrubbies can't believe he showboats, despite the fact that it must feel good to do that right after having a ball thrown at your head.

So you're trying to claim that had the Scrubs been pissed they would have hit Prince Fielder knowing they wouldn't see Braun at the plate again that night?  You really think teams want to hit a player, but since the game ends then all is forgotten?  Now THAT is weird.

As far as the Brewers throwing at peoples' heads, I would be pissed off as a fan.  Just like I was when we threw at Reed Johnson for robbing Fielder's grand slam.  There's a time, and a place on someone's body, where it is somewhat acceptable to hit someone.  You don't throw at someone for making a good defensive play, and you don't throw at someone's head.  And I'm sure that the Brewers' broadcasters weren't commenting that they deserved to be thrown at.  You're right, I don't KNOW that, but that's pretty classless and unprofessional to say on TV where thousands of people are watching.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:03:46 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1390 on: May 12, 2009, 11:51:34 AM »
Wade,

The cubs were not going to hit him when he first came up in the first inning while counsel was standing at first base.  And that is why they waited until the second time he was up!

I didn't read ALL OF your post above however  ;D

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1391 on: May 12, 2009, 11:53:46 AM »
He didn't when Braun beat them twice in the same series at Bush Stadium last year.  In fact Braun watched his home run much worse than he did against the Cubs and they still didn't throw at him.  And their commentators didn't say that he deserved to be hit.  Weird.

Haha....so, you're not referencing the Cardinals commentators here? And comparing them to what Brenly allegedly said in response to Braun watching his home run?  Strange.  

Maybe you can help me piece it together then above:
He = LaRussa
They = Cardinals
Their commentators = ?

Whoever it is, you apprently knew what they had to say after the game.   Impressive.

LON

• All American
« Reply #1392 on: May 12, 2009, 11:56:12 AM »
I guess I understand your angle....but then why would Braun complain in the media and call out Selig to keep his attention on the remaining games between the two teams this season?  If anything, you'd think he'd laugh it off as, 'that's the only way they can keep us from scoring runs...we own them.' ...especially since he was hit in the back.  I guess that's the way he prefers to handle things.

BTW, he was quoted as saying that he did not think Dempster was throwing at him, correct?

I didn't hear anything referencing the Dempster pitch...

I see what you mean, but the reason he addressed it in the media is because Karstens threw high and he was basically calling it an "order" (from the Manager?) due to the reaction Karstens had after the pitch.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1393 on: May 12, 2009, 12:05:40 PM »
Haha....so, you're not referencing the Cardinals commentators here? And comparing them to what Brenly allegedly said in response to Braun watching his home run?  Strange.  

Maybe you can help me piece it together then above:
He = LaRussa
They = Cardinals
Their commentators = ?

Whoever it is, you apprently knew what they had to say after the game.   Impressive.
You're right, I did say something, and you're right, I don't know what they said, but I'm guessing they didn't say that Braun deserved to be thrown at.  That's just classless and unprofessional for a broadcaster to say.  Fits right in with the Scrubbies though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1394 on: May 12, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
So people are complaing about watching homeruns.  Weird.

Marquette94 seems to forget that Sosa crow hopped to first on just about every homerun he hit, and a few long singles too.  Interesting.

So then why didn't pitchers always throw Sosa?  Weird.

Maybe this whole thing is being blown out of propotion? Interesting.

What if teams continue to put a man a base for Prince, and possibly get ejected for it?  Interesting.

Ryan Braun likes to hit homeruns. Impressive.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1395 on: May 12, 2009, 12:09:31 PM »

Marquette94 seems to forget that Sosa crow hopped to first on just about every homerun he hit, and a few long singles too.  Interesting.

What if teams continue to put a man a base for Prince, and possibly get ejected for it?  Interesting.

They did throw at him...and as a Sosa fan during his time, it hurts to post this.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1396 on: May 12, 2009, 12:10:34 PM »
I didn't hear anything referencing the Dempster pitch...

I see what you mean, but the reason he addressed it in the media is because Karstens threw high and he was basically calling it an "order" (from the Manager?) due to the reaction Karstens had after the pitch.

I didn't see the play where Karstens hit Braun and didn't know the pitch was high...I only read about it where it said he was hit in the back.  If he feels it was ordered by Russell then I could see his frustration....which is exactly what Edmonds felt about Yost last year.

Here's what I read on the Braun/Dempster thing:

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090510&content_id=4658758&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1397 on: May 12, 2009, 12:15:43 PM »

Where did the Sosa thing come from?  How could anyone who isn't blind forget about his antics?  Rob already pointed out that Sammy was hit his fair share. 

I would completely agree that this whole thing has been blown out of proportion....by which side?  VERY interesting.

Ryan Braun loves to whine.  Annoying. ;D

LON

• All American
« Reply #1398 on: May 12, 2009, 12:17:43 PM »
I didn't see the play where Karstens hit Braun and didn't know the pitch was high...I only read about it where it said he was hit in the back.  If he feels it was ordered by Russell then I could see his frustration....which is exactly what Edmonds felt about Yost last year.

Here's what I read on the Braun/Dempster thing:

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090510&content_id=4658758&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

He reacts the way I figured he would after the sound bite he served up last time.  I think Macha had a word or two and he (correctly) bit his tongue.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1399 on: May 12, 2009, 12:19:21 PM »
They did throw at him...and as a Sosa fan during his time, it hurts to post this.

That ball clearly hit his bat.  His giant roided out head made the helmet explode.  Truth.

feedback