collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461266 times)

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #1200 on: April 13, 2009, 07:08:21 PM »
Wow that was embarrassing.  Suppan might be the worst starting pitcher in the majors.

Also, I hate that Julio hit Johnson after making that play.  It was a great defensive play.  You're really going to hit a guy for that?  You hit a guy for watching a home run or in retaliation of a teammate being hit, not for making a great play.

The Brewers literally hand the Cubs 4 runs, the Cubs rob the Brewers of 3 runs (the Brewers still got 2 of those runs in that would have crossed had Prince not been robbed, so 2 from the robbed grand slam and 1 on Hardy's liner to 2nd that would have scored Braun from 2nd).

Could be a long year with the Brewers pitching and low averages from about 75% of the team.

You heard it here first: Cardinals win the division.

you can still get good odds on that if you are sure.  Vegas loves the cubs.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1201 on: April 13, 2009, 09:31:34 PM »
you can still get good odds on that if you are sure.  Vegas loves the cubs.
I would put money on it but I don't have too much to use right now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #1202 on: April 14, 2009, 09:32:33 PM »

soloWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #1203 on: April 14, 2009, 10:10:37 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #1205 on: April 15, 2009, 01:42:38 PM »
Aww... sure is cute how you crew fans find ways to distract yourselves from your horrible team.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #1206 on: April 15, 2009, 01:48:23 PM »
Aww... sure is cute how you crew fans find ways to distract yourselves from your horrible team.

I have chosen other ways to occupy my time from this abomination of a season just far.... namely, popping in the DVD of our playoff WIN last year.  Quite an enjoyable experience to attend one of those.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1207 on: April 15, 2009, 01:54:16 PM »
Haha I said it from the start, we lost our 2 best pitchers and addressed it by adding a guy who is 24-26 in the last 2 years.  In the last 3 games we have given up more runs than we have given up hits and outhit the other team all 3 games, but lost all 3.  Our pitching is AWFUL.  I am hoping that Ryan Braun is not 100%, because if he is and he's playing this bad we're in for an even longer year than I expected.  It's not like he's hitting it hard and getting out, he just looks awful at the plate.  Not to mention our 3-5 hitters are hitting about .130 right now.

I think the Cubs miss the playoffs this year.  Cards win the division, Mets finally win the Wild Card.  So yeah, I'll distract myself by watching a fan base that thinks they're god's gift to baseball go through another year where they think they are finally going to get rid of that curse and make it 101 years.

And let me guess what the predictable Cubs fans will say to that...1908 is better than never having won 1.  Well, I'd argue it kind of isn't, since nobody is left that was around then.  Also, give the Brewers 100 (and counting) years, and if they still haven't won 1 then I suppose it's fair.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 02:02:24 PM by wadesworld »

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #1208 on: April 16, 2009, 10:54:22 AM »
wadesworld.  i know you picked the cards, and i will be nervous if we don't get ahead of them over the next 8 weeks while carpenter is out.

I don't understand about bragging about winning one game in a series you got worked.  I don't understand saying "haha, you haven't won it all in a long time." when you've never won one.  I do understand your argument that we've had a lot more years so why not pick a year and compare the two teams from that point on.  I can think of a few years that I might like to use:

1981: why? cause i was born then.  Who has had more success, both playoffs and regular season since then? Da Cubs.
2000: Why? who is better this millennium.  Think I'll go with the cubs on this one as well.
2001: Why? that was when you got miller park. (which i like) the cubs.
2003: Why? That is when i became a serious fan.  Since I've followed baseball the cubs have done more.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1209 on: April 16, 2009, 11:05:24 AM »
wadesworld.  i know you picked the cards, and i will be nervous if we don't get ahead of them over the next 8 weeks while carpenter is out.

I don't understand about bragging about winning one game in a series you got worked.  I don't understand saying "haha, you haven't won it all in a long time." when you've never won one.  I do understand your argument that we've had a lot more years so why not pick a year and compare the two teams from that point on.  I can think of a few years that I might like to use:

1981: why? cause i was born then.  Who has had more success, both playoffs and regular season since then? Da Cubs.
2000: Why? who is better this millennium.  Think I'll go with the cubs on this one as well.
2001: Why? that was when you got miller park. (which i like) the cubs.
2003: Why? That is when i became a serious fan.  Since I've followed baseball the cubs have done more.
Fair enough.  I'll give you that the Cubs have had more success than the Brewers.  But let's just agree that neither team is really dominating the rest of the MLB.  Both franchises are fairly (or just straight up) unsuccessful franchises.  The Cubs are the "lovable" losers, afterall.  And the Brewers are just losers.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #1210 on: April 16, 2009, 12:39:08 PM »
Also, give the Brewers 100 (and counting) years, and if they still haven't won 1 then I suppose it's fair.

Well, considering they went 1/4th of the time since the Cubs last won the World Series without even making the playoffs, I'd say the Crew is off to a pretty good start.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1211 on: April 16, 2009, 02:06:29 PM »
Well, considering they went 1/4th of the time since the Cubs last won the World Series without even making the playoffs, I'd say the Crew is off to a pretty good start.
Yup, but there are still 75 years (and counting) to change that.  That's a LONG time.  A REALLY long time.

But hey, Ian Kinsler did something that nobody had done since before the Cubs last won the World Series.  He's the first person to hit for the cycle with 6 hits in a game.  First time since 1894 I believe.  Impressive.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #1212 on: April 16, 2009, 02:54:08 PM »

Didn't the Cubs have a 39 year stretch of missing the playoffs (1945-1984)?

27 < 39   :)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1213 on: April 16, 2009, 04:07:39 PM »

The Cubs first season was 1876 and they won their first World Series 31 seasons into their existence.  They won their second World Series 32 years into their existence. 

The Brewers first season was 1969 as the Seattle Pilots.  It has been 40 years and they have yet to win a World Series.

Thus the Cubs got off to a better start than the Brewers.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: April 16, 2009, 04:47:01 PM »
The Cubs first season was 1876 and they won their first World Series 31 seasons into their existence.  They won their second World Series 32 years into their existence. 

The Brewers first season was 1969 as the Seattle Pilots.  It has been 40 years and they have yet to win a World Series.

Thus the Cubs got off to a better start than the Brewers.

I hope this was sarcastic, otherwise you're grasping at straws.  Comparing the Cub's first 40 years to the Brewers first 40 years when there was nearly a 100 year gap in between.  Congrats the Cubs had a better first 40 years!!!  The fact of the matter is that both franchises are pretty much at the bottom of the baseball totem pole; but for some reason Cubs fans seem to think their poo don't stink.

Btw, seeing as you're such a diehard fan, I think it would be fairly easy for you to look up and see that the Cubs franchise (then and orginally known as the White Stockings) won the WS in 1885.  Even though I hate the Cubs I knew they had won 3 World Series (although I did have to look up the year).

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1215 on: April 16, 2009, 04:54:24 PM »
Again I am only making this point as other Brewer fans made an error in their comment of having a better start than the Cubs.

In no way do I think the 1876-1908 season as any bearing on this season.  I simply wanted to correct an erroneous post.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1216 on: April 16, 2009, 04:58:23 PM »
Btw, seeing as you're such a diehard fan, I think it would be fairly easy for you to look up and see that the Cubs franchise (then and orginally known as the White Stockings) won the WS in 1885.  Even though I hate the Cubs I knew they had won 3 World Series (although I did have to look up the year).

You're right I am a diehard fan and you are yet another wrong Brewer fan. 

The World Series is the championship game played between the winner of the National League and the winner of the American League.  The American League didn't exist until 1901.  Thus the championship in 1885 was simply the National League championship.  In fact the World Series didn't even begin until 1903 when the two leagues agreed to play each other for the championship.

In 1885, they did play the winner of the American Association, however, that was not the World Series.  Nor was that league the same as the American League.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 05:04:32 PM by TallTitan34 »

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1217 on: April 16, 2009, 05:10:02 PM »
Didn't the Cubs have a 39 year stretch of missing the playoffs (1945-1984)?

27 < 39   :)

There's now something called the wild card....which didn't exist until 1994.  Divisions didn't exist until 1969...the team with the best record from each league won the pennant.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #1218 on: April 16, 2009, 05:50:55 PM »
You're right I am a diehard fan and you are yet another wrong Brewer fan. 

The World Series is the championship game played between the winner of the National League and the winner of the American League.  The American League didn't exist until 1901.  Thus the championship in 1885 was simply the National League championship.  In fact the World Series didn't even begin until 1903 when the two leagues agreed to play each other for the championship.

In 1885, they did play the winner of the American Association, however, that was not the World Series.  Nor was that league the same as the American League.

I should have said World Championships, although it is almost universally still referred to as the World Series (except by official MLB fo course).  Although the series between the winners of the National League and the American Association ended in a 3-3 "tie", most baseball historians consider Chicago the winner of the series as the St. Louis Browns technically forfeited game 2 when their manager called the team off the field.

Either way, the statement that "The Cubs first season was 1876 and they won their first World Series 31 seasons into their existence" doesn't really make sense does it?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #1219 on: April 16, 2009, 06:00:39 PM »
There's now something called the wild card....which didn't exist until 1994.  Divisions didn't exist until 1969...the team with the best record from each league won the pennant.

I'm aware of that.  Either way, the Cubs still didn't make the playoffs for 39 years.  If you want to say the Brewers are still on a drought of winning their division, that would be correct.  It would also be correct to say the Cubs are on a 53 year streak of not winning their league, while the Brewers are on a 26 year streak.  Of course, the number of teams in baseball has increased from that time, but a higher % of teams still make the playoffs as compared to 1945, 1969, or 1984. 

I just like to reply to some of the Cubs fans here who think their franchise is actually a good one (lately it has been and in comparison to the Brewers, but not historically) and throw out a lot of nonsense.  That's why they call it a pissing match!

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1220 on: April 16, 2009, 08:53:35 PM »
I'm aware of that.  Either way, the Cubs still didn't make the playoffs for 39 years.  If you want to say the Brewers are still on a drought of winning their division, that would be correct.  It would also be correct to say the Cubs are on a 53 year streak of not winning their league, while the Brewers are on a 26 year streak.  Of course, the number of teams in baseball has increased from that time, but a higher % of teams still make the playoffs as compared to 1945, 1969, or 1984. 

I just like to reply to some of the Cubs fans here who think their franchise is actually a good one (lately it has been and in comparison to the Brewers, but not historically) and throw out a lot of nonsense.  That's why they call it a pissing match!

Careful....if you keep throwing out facts like that you may be accused of supporting your argument around here...or going off on a diatribe.

As you pointed out, making the playoffs before the Brewers existed was a lot more difficult than it is today.  Without the Wildcard the Brewers would still be talking about a 26 year playoff draught.....as it is they're the only team to not have won their division in the last 26 years....something the Cubs have done 5 times during that period....again, not something to brag about.

Either team trying to argue over postseason success is worthless.......Brewer fans bragging over losing a first round playoff series 3-1 to the team they finished 7.5 games behind in the division is ridiculous.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1221 on: April 16, 2009, 09:00:38 PM »
I'll give you that the Cubs have had more success than the Brewers.   And the Brewers are just losers.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  ;)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1222 on: April 16, 2009, 09:18:11 PM »
Couldn't have said it better myself.  ;)
Wow, good one.  You got me.

I could quote one of your posts and then edit it so that it says "I am a raging homosexual because I like the Chicago Cubs" if I really wanted to play that game.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #1223 on: April 16, 2009, 09:36:45 PM »
Careful....if you keep throwing out facts like that you may be accused of supporting your argument around here...or going off on a diatribe.

As you pointed out, making the playoffs before the Brewers existed was a lot more difficult than it is today.  Without the Wildcard the Brewers would still be talking about a 26 year playoff draught.....as it is they're the only team to not have won their division in the last 26 years....something the Cubs have done 5 times during that period....again, not something to brag about.

Either team trying to argue over postseason success is worthless.......Brewer fans bragging over losing a first round playoff series 3-1 to the team they finished 7.5 games behind in the division is ridiculous.

I agree 94.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1224 on: April 16, 2009, 10:12:36 PM »
Wow, good one.  You got me.

I could quote one of your posts and then edit it so that it says "I am a raging homosexual because I like the Chicago Cubs" if I really wanted to play that game.

Lighten up Francis.  I've never typed the words "raging homosexual" in this or any other forum, so go for it.  I used your words.  Just having a little fun big guy.  (Note the wink)