Incoming freshmen by MUbiz
[Today at 10:57:29 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Pissing Match  (Read 461346 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs & Brewers Pissing Match
« Reply #1125 on: April 01, 2009, 10:22:12 PM »
The Brewers are one mascot slide short of a minor league...wait...nevermind.
...and they have 1 more playoff win than the Cubs do in the past 5 years.  EMBARRASSING!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1126 on: April 01, 2009, 10:45:58 PM »
...and they have 1 more playoff win than the Cubs do in the past 5 years.  EMBARRASSING!

Since the Brewers are the ONLY team in baseball without a Division Title in the last 26 years...they have 5 less playoff appearances and 8 less playoff wins than the Cubs in that time....an equally as meaningful statistic....but certainly more embarrassing.

Bragging about losing a first round playoff series 3-1 to the team you finished 2nd to in the division....doesn't seem to make a lot of sense...but for a small market team I guess it's exciting to have the attention....here we go again....should be fun.

Did the Packers have a better season than the Bears because they'll get a higher draft pick?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1127 on: April 01, 2009, 11:29:14 PM »
Since the Brewers are the ONLY team in baseball without a Division Title in the last 26 years...they have 5 less playoff appearances and 8 less playoff wins than the Cubs in that time....an equally as meaningful statistic....but certainly more embarrassing.

Bragging about losing a first round playoff series 3-1 to the team you finished 2nd to in the division....doesn't seem to make a lot of sense...but for a small market team I guess it's exciting to have the attention....here we go again....should be fun.

Did the Packers have a better season than the Bears because they'll get a higher draft pick?
Haha we still have 1 more win than you in the last 5 years.  The Brewers, who are "one mascot slide short of a minor league..." won more playoff games than you did last year.  How does that make you feel?

Comparing the Packers vs. Bears, really?  That'd be like me trying to compare the Bucks and the Bulls if the Bucks had a better record last year (that didn't happen, I'm just saying...).  Let's be honest, the Packers are ass kickers historically and the bears...are not.  The Brewers and the Cubs?  Well, quite honestly, both suck historically.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1128 on: April 01, 2009, 11:53:18 PM »
Haha we still have 1 more win than you in the last 5 years.  The Brewers, who are "one mascot slide short of a minor league..." won more playoff games than you did last year.  How does that make you feel?

It really doesn't bother me because in the end we both crapped it away in the DS.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1129 on: April 01, 2009, 11:56:39 PM »
I'm fine with dancers and slides over the circus act that will be Pinella, Zambrano, and Bradley in the same clubhouse for an entire baseball season.  Over/under on first punch thrown at May 15. 

Physical altercations in Cubs dugout/clubhouse last season: 0
Physical altercations in Brewers dugout/clubhouse last season: 1 (Parra & Prince)

Physical altercations in Cubs dugout/clubhouse in 2007: 1 (Barrett & Zambrano)
Physical altercations in Brewers dugout/clubhouse in 2007: 1 (Yost & Graffanino & Estrada)

I believe the Brewers have more "circus acts" than the Cubs in the last few years.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1130 on: April 02, 2009, 12:03:35 AM »
Physical altercations in Cubs dugout/clubhouse last season: 0
Physical altercations in Brewers dugout/clubhouse last season: 1 (Parra & Prince)

Physical altercations in Cubs dugout/clubhouse in 2007: 1 (Barrett & Zambrano)
Physical altercations in Brewers dugout/clubhouse in 2007: 1 (Yost & Graffanino & Estrada)

I believe the Brewers have more "circus acts" than the Cubs in the last few years.
Not saying who's right or wrong because I don't know either, but nobody knows how many clubhouse altercations there really are.  Those are the 3 that were caught on TV in the dugout.  Nobody sees what goes on in the clubhouse.

Here's to hoping Zambrano doesn't have an emotional meltdown every time out this year.  And hopefully no ACL tears for Bradley while arguing calls.  Maybe Pinella can stay away from kicking umpires this year too.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1131 on: April 02, 2009, 12:21:03 AM »
Not saying who's right or wrong because I don't know either, but nobody knows how many clubhouse altercations there really are.  Those are the 3 that were caught on TV in the dugout.  Nobody sees what goes on in the clubhouse.

I'll give you that no one knows what goes on in the clubhouse.  I just think it's hard for Brewers fans to criticize the Cubs when they've had more public altercations.

As for Milton Bradley's attitude I love this story from the Chicago Tribune:
Cubs' Piniella likes Bradley's intensity

By Paul Sullivan

MESA, Ariz.- Milton Bradley was in midseason form Thursday night in Scottsdale, putting on quite a show during the wind-shortened game against San Francisco.

After homering in the second, Bradley beat out an infield hit in the fourth and waved his arms frantically to let first base umpire Tim McClelland know he was safe. McClelland agreed with Bradley's call. After reaching on a walk in the fifth, he was forced at second on an Armis Ramirez grounder and went ballistic when second base umpire Jim Reynolds ruled him out. Reynolds didn't seem to appreciate Bradley's call, though replays suggested Bradley was correct.

While Bradley was making a scene on his way back to the Cubs dugout, a fan in the front row wearing a Ryne Sandberg jersey yelled: "You were safe."

Bradley looked up at the fan and screamed loud enough for everyone to hear: "You're (darn) right I was safe."

Bradley may not be making any new friends with the umpires, which is OK since he has MLB disciplinarian Bob Watson on speed-dial.

But he certainly is endearing himself to Cubs fans who like a little entertainment in otherwise meaningless Cactus League games.

"Well, he was intense all night last night," manager Lou Piniella said. "I like intensity. What can I say? And I'm sure he's going to bring a lot of that to the party."

Bradley came into Friday's game hitting .500, and Piniella is unlikely to rein him in as long as he continues to hit like that. Piniella said he doesn't handle players the same way he did earlier in his managerial career.

"I'm older, and I've learned a lot from my mistakes of the past," he said. "Look, I just want these guys to play and play hard and win as many ballgames as he possibly can. Outside of that, I can overlook a lot of things."

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #1132 on: April 02, 2009, 12:39:28 AM »

=

Of course everyone likes the "intensity" at the beginning.  What team DOESN'T love T.O. at the beginning?

Give it two months, when Milton doesn't hit where Milton thinks Milton should be hitting in the lineup.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1133 on: April 02, 2009, 07:33:53 AM »

Comparing the Packers vs. Bears, really?  That'd be like me trying to compare the Bucks and the Bulls if the Bucks had a better record last year (that didn't happen, I'm just saying...).  Let's be honest, the Packers are ass kickers historically and the bears...are not.  The Brewers and the Cubs?  Well, quite honestly, both suck historically.

What's the relevance of the last 5 years?  Because the Brewers finally made the playoffs?  How about the last 26 years?  Since that's equally as irrelevant, I'll choose to use that timeframe.  How does it make you feel that the Brewers have not won their division in 26 years....the only team in baseball to accomplish that feat.  Honestly, the Brewers winning 1 playoff game in the last 26 years has exactly zero impact on me.....or any Cubs fan....or on anyone outside of the 30 mile radius of Miller Park where the Brewers pull their fans.  It has as much impact on me as DePaul winning 1 NCAA tournament game in the last 20....although they at least advanced to the next round when they did so.

If you think entering the playoffs as a wildcard, losing in the NLDS 3-1 and coming in second place in the division...7.5 games behind the Cubs....means a better season then so be it.  I disagree.  As would a lot of people.  Winning games within a playoff series is meaningless unless you advance to the next round.  There are no moral victories.  If the Brewers made the postseason more than once in your lifetime you'd understand.  If you're lucky enough for the Brewers to put together a playoff run with some regularity, you'll get it and won't be gloating about losing 3 of 4 in the first round.

If you're going to lose in the NLDS I'd assume win the division with a 97 win season.

The Bears/Packers comparison was called an analogy (see DePaul example above).  By your logic I'm sure you'll I agree with my statement. 

I agree, historically, both teams have not done well.

Anyone think we should start a new thread for the '09 season?  This thing will reach 100 pages if we're not careful.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 07:58:11 AM by MarquetteFan94 »

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: April 02, 2009, 08:07:34 AM »
Anyone think we should start a new thread for the '09 season?  This thing will reach 100 pages if we're not careful.

TT and I were talking about that, and we thought it would be awesome to keep this one going!!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: April 02, 2009, 09:23:26 AM »
What's the relevance of the last 5 years?  Because the Brewers finally made the playoffs?  How about the last 26 years?  Since that's equally as irrelevant, I'll choose to use that timeframe.  How does it make you feel that the Brewers have not won their division in 26 years....the only team in baseball to accomplish that feat.  Honestly, the Brewers winning 1 playoff game in the last 26 years has exactly zero impact on me.....or any Cubs fan....or on anyone outside of the 30 mile radius of Miller Park where the Brewers pull their fans.  It has as much impact on me as DePaul winning 1 NCAA tournament game in the last 20....although they at least advanced to the next round when they did so.

If you think entering the playoffs as a wildcard, losing in the NLDS 3-1 and coming in second place in the division...7.5 games behind the Cubs....means a better season then so be it.  I disagree.  As would a lot of people.  Winning games within a playoff series is meaningless unless you advance to the next round.  There are no moral victories.  If the Brewers made the postseason more than once in your lifetime you'd understand.  If you're lucky enough for the Brewers to put together a playoff run with some regularity, you'll get it and won't be gloating about losing 3 of 4 in the first round.

If you're going to lose in the NLDS I'd assume win the division with a 97 win season.

The Bears/Packers comparison was called an analogy (see DePaul example above).  By your logic I'm sure you'll I agree with my statement. 

I agree, historically, both teams have not done well.

I just think it's hilarious that the Cubs fans think the Cubs are so far superior to the Brewers, yet when you look at it, they haven't even been in the World Series since before most Cubs fans were born.  Let alone they haven't WON a World Series since before just about every single Cubs fan was born.  And they consider the Brewers a minor league team.  So I think it's funny that they haven't won a playoff game in the last 5 years.  So, in essence, the Cubs' playoff success throughout my lifetime is just about as bad as the Brewers' playoff success.  I would look at playoff success over the last 26 years, your timeline proposed, as at least GETTING to the World Series.  Neither team have done that.  The Cubs aren't the Red Sox or Yankees.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #1136 on: April 02, 2009, 09:52:06 AM »
I just think it's hilarious that the Cubs fans think the Cubs are so far superior to the Brewers, yet when you look at it, they haven't even been in the World Series since before most Cubs fans were born.  Let alone they haven't WON a World Series since before just about every single Cubs fan was born.  And they consider the Brewers a minor league team.  So I think it's funny that they haven't won a playoff game in the last 5 years.  So, in essence, the Cubs' playoff success throughout my lifetime is just about as bad as the Brewers' playoff success.  I would look at playoff success over the last 26 years, your timeline proposed, as at least GETTING to the World Series.  Neither team have done that.  The Cubs aren't the Red Sox or Yankees.

Who's the one continually bringing up 1 playoff win in the last 5 years....and claiming an astoundingly successful season?  I can't imagine Cubs fans thinking we're superior to anyone when it comes to playoff success....but to hear it from a Brewers fan?! 

I've never once called the Brewers a minor league team....small market, obviously.  Minor league?  Not as far as I can tell.  Although this year's starting rotation may pose an interesting argument.

I'm not sure how old you are, but if you compare the Cubs 6 playoff appearances and 9 wins to the Brewers 1 appearance and 1 win and consider them similar....then, well, more power to ya.  And don't construe that as boasting about Cubs playoff success....we get it, have been there before and are not happy about it.

So now you're gauging playoff success as getting to the World Series...that's quite a shift from gloating about winning a single game in the NLDS/postseason in the last 26 years....or 5 years for that matter....but I agree.

It seemed as though you were comparing overall season success before...as if to say winning one playoff game as wild card in 5 years is more impressive than back-to-back Division Titles.  An interesting debate.

Another analogy (I'm crazy like that)....did DePaul have a better season than Georgetown because they won a game in the BE Tournament?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: April 02, 2009, 10:03:14 AM »
Although I am a brewers fan (bigger cards fan) I find it pretty funny that arguably the 5th and 6th most successful teams in the division (as currently alligned) are arguing about who's been better over the past 30 years.

As for Bradley, I'd put the over/under on games he plays in at 110 and will gladly take any action on the over.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1138 on: April 02, 2009, 11:34:22 AM »
I will take the over.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #1139 on: April 02, 2009, 11:39:51 AM »
I will take the over.

you got odds, i got evens

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #1140 on: April 02, 2009, 11:44:22 AM »

Did you seriously just try and make Tony Graffanino relavant to the brewers again? Wow... And that Parra/Prince incident wasn't as bad as you seem to want to force yourself to remember

Also-
Anyone notice that pretty rickie is hitting in the .400s this spring/ Sveum changed his swing a little and he's coming around a little faster, enough to hit the ball better. With him hitting well the brewers will have a real great offensive machine.

Escobar will be starting at 3rd by June (or SS with JJ and 3rd), and Billy Hall will return to this role as a util infielder. I think Cameron will get shopped around and the Brewers will TRADE PRINCE FIELDER... Probably for Matt Cain and Mat Gamel could play first. and the brewers will have a marginally desireable rotation again.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #1141 on: April 02, 2009, 01:15:09 PM »
Although I am a brewers fan (bigger cards fan)

Shameful.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1142 on: April 02, 2009, 01:29:20 PM »
and the Brewers will TRADE PRINCE FIELDER... Probably for Matt Cain and Mat Gamel could play first. and the brewers will have a marginally desireable rotation again.

How the Brewers haven't done this yet is blowing my mind.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: April 02, 2009, 01:51:49 PM »
Shameful.

I know, it sucked when the Brewers changed leagues I just couldn't abandon them.

How the Brewers haven't done this yet is blowing my mind.

They still have control of him for another 3 years (including this season).  I would wait to trade him until at least after the first two years.  I don't think the trade market for him is as good as some people seem to think as some teams might be scared away by his weight and his agent.  Although he's pretty bad on defense, there's no denying he's a damn good offensive player right now.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1144 on: April 02, 2009, 06:44:03 PM »

Also-
Anyone notice that pretty rickie is hitting in the .400s this spring/ Sveum changed his swing a little and he's coming around a little faster, enough to hit the ball better. With him hitting well the brewers will have a real great offensive machine.

Bradley is hitting damn near .600 but im not going to celebrate about it!

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1145 on: April 03, 2009, 02:54:19 AM »
Did you seriously just try and make Tony Graffanino relavant to the brewers again? Wow... And that Parra/Prince incident wasn't as bad as you seem to want to force yourself to remember

I did seriously do that because the comment before mine about Zambrano and Barrett from two years ago was equally as relavant.

I agree the Prince/Parra incident wasn't bad but it's kind of hypocritical calling the Cubs a circus when you've had scuffles on TV in the dugout the last two seasons.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:55:57 AM by TallTitan34 »

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #1146 on: April 03, 2009, 03:07:46 AM »
Why the hell do I keep on reading this thread? It's MUScoop's version of The Real World. Absolutely mind-numbing. Yet I keep on reading (watching) it.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: April 03, 2009, 07:17:12 AM »
Why the hell do I keep on reading this thread? It's MUScoop's version of The Real World. Absolutely mind-numbing. Yet I keep on reading (watching) it.

Eh, its fun, and thats why it was created...

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #1148 on: April 03, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
I know, it sucked when the Brewers changed leagues I just couldn't abandon them.

It was still shameful then.  Sports bigamy is a crime against humanity.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #1149 on: April 03, 2009, 12:08:07 PM »
I did seriously do that because the comment before mine about Zambrano and Barrett from two years ago was equally as relavant.

I agree the Prince/Parra incident wasn't bad but it's kind of hypocritical calling the Cubs a circus when you've had scuffles on TV in the dugout the last two seasons.

I'd say the Prince/Parra incident is a pretty isolated occurrence.  Neither one has had any issues since.

Meanwhile, Zambrano is a documented hot head and prima donna.  Bradley's no better. And let's not even get started on Pinella's antics.  If you think Prince is on the same level as Zambrano when it comes to ego, I'd say you're sorely mistaken.

feedback