[Today at 04:43:17 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by GoFastAndWin
[June 09, 2024, 10:48:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] ESPN.com's Katz calls Williams hire a gamble  (Read 15363 times)

augoman

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] ESPN.com's Katz calls Williams hire a gamble
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 08:56:57 PM »
hey, Buzz is still undefeated as MU's head coach!  I guess we have to wait for the season before we get too anxious.  Sure, I can grouse (and I will) about his recruits or assistants or even his hiring, but until I see the troika of Texans play, until I watch him coach against a tough team, until Tony Bennett says he wanted to come here but wasn't contacted, I don't know.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2008, 04:09:55 PM »
I am missing the "Gamble" part here. 
Are we risking no more 1st round departures in the NCAA tourney?
Risking our ability to recruit quality big men?

I will roll these dice.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2008, 04:21:21 PM »
who gives a f@#*$ what Andy Katz says?  Oh, man!  Andy Katz said this was a gamble!! Oh my God!!

At least ESPN addressed it...we must be moving so far under the rader that Fox Sports forgot to mention our new coach...

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8048618/Running-down-all-the-coaching-moves?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=99

The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2008, 04:59:22 PM »
Of course everything is a gamble----but we're trying to gauge here is the degree of risk involved in hiring Buzz. Have to have some questions answered:

Will Buzz be able to recruit for himself as HC without having established a track record as he did for other HCs?

Buzz's UNO team gave up an obscene 76 ppg-----with a team that the preseason mags said should be a contender to win the Sun Belt title. Finished 9-9 in conference-----why did he underachieve?

Will only one year of college HC experience mean a lot of on the job training?

Will Buzz  be able to recruit locally?

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 07:37:03 AM »
A lot of questions, Murff, and it's going to awhile to answer them. I think the queastion we have to ask ourselves today is, are we better off now than we were a month ago? Just the fact that Judas is gone pushes me to say yes. I was watching thwe TiVo of the Stanford game yesterday and that was one of the worst game-coaching jobs I've ever seen.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 09:14:02 AM »
Hiring Buzz was a panic move induced by Crean's immediate pursuit of the recruits he had already been paid by MU to procure.  Had Cottingham been more concerned with the long-term health of the basketball program rather than the short-term goal of preserving a mediocre crop of recruits (and maybe his own job), he would have conducted a more diligent search for a qualified (i.e., experienced) coach. 

All the rationalizing about Buzz's recruiting skills is simply putting lipstick on a pig.  Buzz would have stayed on as an assistant (was any other school beating down the door in an attempt to hire Buzz away from MU?).  Instead, Cottingham gave a ludicrous 6-year contract to an assistant coach with an incredibly thin resume.

Buzz may be a great guy personally, and I sincerely hope he turns into the next Jamie Dixon or Frank Martin, but his hiring was a blow to MU's recently restored credibility.

Once again..IRONICE 3MER

My problem is with Cottingham and the administration -- not with Buzz.  As has been repeated ad infinitum, he may/may not turn out to be a competent coach.  That's not the point.

Why should the fans be satisfied with the decision to turn over a Top-20 program to a unqualified candidate who will have to "learn on the job?"  MU is not (or should not) be a program headed by a novice. 

While Buzz has done an admirable job of preserving a mediocre recruiting class, the goal under Crean was to become successful enough to attract the 5-star recruits necessary to advance beyond the first/second round of the NCAAs.

How does hiring Buzz make MU more attractive to the recruits needed to advance the program?  Or is what we're saying in these posts is that the fans should be satisfied with the status quo, or even something less?
Ironic..once again..that you complained about Buzz's hiring/recrfuiting..etc..and we now have Wilson..the most tlalented roster probably ever at MU...too bad you contradict yourself with the current garbage you are posting about the Newbill situation...Beat it.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 10:16:15 AM »
because, you know. end result is all that matters.  you don't get to be upset about how we get highly touted recruits, because you said we probably wouldn't get highly touted recruits. thats how logic works.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 10:24:11 AM »
Jesus Ners, give it a rest.

Digging up a post from two+ years ago to call a guy out is about as lame as it gets.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 10:36:20 AM »

Digging up a post from two+ years ago to call a guy out is about as lame as it gets.

Please, in this post you are supporting an alleged rapist...   :D

According to Rosiak, his JC coach said that he gained 15-20 pounds since he got there, and thinks he needs to put on another 15-20 pounds before getting to MU.  It sounds like he is motivated to get into BE shape.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 10:39:02 AM »
Well played.

That thread is full of really bad predictions, BTW.   ;)

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 10:39:25 AM »
I love the old posts because it's a reminder of  message board insanity. The personal squabbles never get settled but time is kind enough to show the fanatic in most of us. I'm shocked there wasn't more Crean hatred in this thread based upon all the crap we had to hear the last two years!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2010, 10:54:53 AM »

I think the point is that Mers didn't like Buzz two years ago because he was a nice guy who couldn't recruit or coach. Now he doesn't like him because he's all about coaching and recruiting and not a nice enough guy.

If you don't see the irony so be it. I think it's amusing and revealing.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2010, 11:17:51 AM »
Well stated and those were my concerns.  I'm not anti-Buzz, just surprised by the hire considering where we were as a program.  There are risky hires and their are risky hires.  At this point it doesn't matter as it what it is (sorry for the cliche), just hope they got it right.  We'll know in a few years.  If they did, fantastic.  If they didn't, hopefully it doesn't set us back too much.  I was just hoping not to have to go through with so much uncertainty at this point.

Why do we have to constantly re-hash this. especially two + years in?  Why don't we just wait and let history be the judge?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2010, 11:22:04 AM »
I think the point is that Mers didn't like Buzz two years ago because he was a nice guy who couldn't recruit or coach. Now he doesn't like him because he's all about coaching and recruiting and not a nice enough guy.

If you don't see the irony so be it. I think it's amusing and revealing.

Amen...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2010, 11:24:35 AM »
Aren't all hires risky?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2010, 11:26:17 AM »

Not as lame as making contradictory posts - and as Lenny's said..if you can't see the irony in 3MER's posts from 2008 to where they are today..you are choosing to be ignorant.  And Sultan - when Buzz takes this program to consistent Sweet 16s and Elite 8's and occasional Final Four's - be sure to rain on the parade and continue to be the "voice of reason."

reinko

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2010, 11:29:21 AM »
Not as lame as making contradictory posts - and as Lenny's said..if you can't see the irony in 3MER's posts from 2008 to where they are today..you are choosing to be ignorant.  And Sultan - when Buzz takes this program to consistent Sweet 16s and Elite 8's and occasional Final Four's - be sure to rain on the parade and continue to be the "voice of reason."

And if he doesn't should those folks that may have some doubts about Buzz come on the 'Scoop and jerk themselves off silly about being right?

LON

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2010, 11:31:20 AM »
And if he doesn't should those folks that may have some doubts about Buzz come on the 'Scoop and jerk themselves off silly about being right?

They'd probably chafe...so I would advise against it.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2010, 11:34:05 AM »
Seriously Ners?

What would make you happy?  The elimination of all dissent or debate?

It's one thing to disagree and let someone know that you think they are wrong, but why are you always trying to get people to leave or be removed from the site?  

There are some people that don't care for Buzz and some that aren't sold yet.  Does that mean they forfeit their right to call themselves MU fans?  What makes you the defender of Marquette fandom?  

If you don't want to hear differing opinions on our head coach then go start your own site with your own rules, but don't tell people here that they should get lost or be banned because their opinion of our coach is different than yours.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2010, 11:34:59 AM »
2010: The summer of the Gold Scare.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2010, 11:41:27 AM »

Welcome to all!  I highly recommend registering for an account, because soon we'll have some Fish Fry coverage (pictures/maybe videos) that you'll only be able to view as a registered member.

Where are our Fish Fry pictures?  Clearly MUScoop was wrong about the prediction about the coverage of any Fish Fry.  Four years and nothing. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2010, 11:42:19 AM »

I guess I don't see how the posts are contradictory.  Wrong?  Yes.  

3MER seemed to think that Buzz wouldn't be able to recruit because he was not well known, top tier coach.  Buzz has proved him wrong in a short period of time.  Bad prediction.

Now 3MER is upset at HOW Buzz is recruiting, not that he is recruiting well.

The only way 3MER's posts could be categorized as "contradictory" is if recruiting high level talent and not revoking scholarship offers of signed players are somehow mutually exclusive.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2010, 12:32:46 PM »
Dissent is not an option.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2010, 12:35:04 PM »

If he manages to do that, and does so in a manner that makes me proud as an alum, than my voice of reason will be a very happy one.

However, dredging up the posts of two years ago, no matter what point you are trying to make, is lame.  As is your constant, defend Buzz at all costs mentality.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »

However, dredging up the posts of two years ago, no matter what point you are trying to make, is lame.  As is your constant, defend Buzz at all costs mentality.

It's not enough for Ners to defend Buzz at all costs.  I could deal with that, but Ners feels the need to attack anybody that questions Buzz.  He paints them as having an anti Buzz/MU agenda and actually tries to eliminate them from the board through harrassment or calling for their banishment.

feedback