Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tom Diener as assistant?  (Read 7196 times)

The Lens

• All American
Tom Diener as assistant?
« on: April 17, 2008, 12:32:13 PM »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Tom Diener as assistant?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 12:35:41 PM »
I would love to see it.  Well respected in WI.

Pardner

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 12:39:30 PM »
And Thorpe left SLU for UWGB...so who leaves UWGB?  Wardle...

http://uwgbathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041508aab.html

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 12:48:29 PM »
And Thorpe left SLU for UWGB...so who leaves UWGB?  Wardle...

http://uwgbathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041508aab.html

Former Marquette cager, Jon Harris, left UWGB a couple weeks ago.  He took a job at Missouri State.  Thorpe replaces Harris.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 12:49:08 PM »

Sign me up!!

We still need someone for the Chicago area though.  I'd hate to not be able to take advantage of the the Wade & Jerel (among others)/ Chicago/ MU connection.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Pardner

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 12:52:22 PM »
Former Marquette cager, Jon Harris, left UWGB a couple weeks ago.  He took a job at Missouri State.  Thorpe replaces Harris.

Thanks...

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 12:52:38 PM »
Jim Boylan (he's suddenly available).

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 12:55:38 PM »
Jim Boylan (he's suddenly available).

Bulls let go of Jim Boylan

The Bulls, as expected, let go of head coach Jim Boylan today. Boylan was promoted from assistant and made the interim head coach three days after Scott Skiles was fired Christmas Eve.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 01:16:57 PM »

please, please let Diener be joining the staff
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 01:20:35 PM »
Why Diener? Because of his knowledge in the awesome circle of Wisconsin High School sports? There's like one or two good very good players in the entire state every other year. Couldn't we hire a more experienced college recruiter vs. another hometown hero (like Bennett was going to be)?

Other than a feel good story, this would make no sense.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 01:24:02 PM »
Why Diener? Because of his knowledge in the awesome circle of Wisconsin High School sports? There's like one or two good very good players in the entire state every other year. Couldn't we hire a more experienced college recruiter vs. another hometown hero (like Bennett was going to be)?

It makes great sense because he is an X and O kind of guy....this wouldn't be a recruiting hire.  He can flat out teach the game of basketball....which potentially is something Buzz might need help with.  He would be big in player development.  Not to mention he dealt with high school players for 20 years.....college isn't that much different.  Also there is a lot of juice in the state of Wisconsin that the Diener name carries.  I think this would be an outstanding get for Buzz's staff.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 01:40:49 PM »

Hey Niv Berkowitz... some of your hoops thoughts are about as good as your point guard play at Marquette.   ;)

WhereisGeraldPosey

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 01:54:52 PM »
DamonKeysContactLenses:
I thought the same thing when I saw it on jsonline, would be a terrific x and o addition to the staff as MUENG03 pointed out as well.  A cagey veteran coach with deep WI ties to add to a young head coaches staff, ala Crash Davis.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 02:02:28 PM »
It makes great sense because he is an X and O kind of guy....this wouldn't be a recruiting hire.  He can flat out teach the game of basketball....which potentially is something Buzz might need help with.  He would be big in player development.  Not to mention he dealt with high school players for 20 years.....college isn't that much different.  Also there is a lot of juice in the state of Wisconsin that the Diener name carries.  I think this would be an outstanding get for Buzz's staff.

+1,000,000
SS Marquette

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 02:32:17 PM »

bma725

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 02:37:39 PM »
Not gonna happen.  Mark Miller just did an interview job with him and it doesn't look like he's taking any college job.  He may be going to Cedarburg, which is an opening and is where his wife works.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 02:40:46 PM »
Not gonna happen.  Mark Miller just did an interview job with him and it doesn't look like he's taking any college job.  He may be going to Cedarburg, which is an opening and is where his wife works.

It's Cedarburg, it's Cedarburg!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 02:44:05 PM »

Did Dave Ross quit?

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 02:44:49 PM »
I stand corrected. I was looking at it from purely recruiting. From an X and O standpoint, I'm sure he's a great coach.

How would that translate to kids in the Big East by having a high school coach teach them? I'm not sure. But considering Buzz' X and O background, I will admit it would be an added plus. But I don't think MU can gamble on Buzz AND a high school coach with no D-1 experience to carry them.

So I somewhat retract the criticism...but I woudln't hire him if I'm MU. Let him start off in D-1 (if that's where he wants to go) at a UWM or something. Then move up to the Big East. At least, if you are going to hire a Diener, make sure you do it in a year where you also bring on his best player. See Perry Watson at U.of Michigan when he joined their staff along with his player Jalen Rose in 1992. Look how well that turned out  ;)  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 02:49:32 PM »
The last time we hired a HS coach as an assistant was in the late 1980's with Dukiet.  The Washington coach was hired...was that Rusk? 

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 02:53:11 PM »
The last time we hired a HS coach as an assistant was in the late 1980's with Dukiet.  The Washington coach was hired...was that Rusk? 

Clyde Rusk.........volunteer assistant under Dukiet

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 03:02:30 PM »
I stand corrected. I was looking at it from purely recruiting. From an X and O standpoint, I'm sure he's a great coach.

How would that translate to kids in the Big East by having a high school coach teach them? I'm not sure. But considering Buzz' X and O background, I will admit it would be an added plus. But I don't think MU can gamble on Buzz AND a high school coach with no D-1 experience to carry them.

So I somewhat retract the criticism...but I woudln't hire him if I'm MU. Let him start off in D-1 (if that's where he wants to go) at a UWM or something. Then move up to the Big East. At least, if you are going to hire a Diener, make sure you do it in a year where you also bring on his best player. See Perry Watson at U.of Michigan when he joined their staff along with his player Jalen Rose in 1992. Look how well that turned out  ;)   

I guess I view it as a situation where from a fundamentals and knowledge of the game standpoint...if you know it, it doesn't matter the level.  I think he would be a good get, and a good veteran head.  I still think you would need a veteran college assistant, maybe one of Darren Horn's assistants or something like that.

Bottom line, I think Buzz has got to put a staff together that mixes well with each other and builds on his weaknesses....right now that is perceived to be X's and O's and Diener definitely knows the game.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 03:32:59 PM »
I will say it surely doesn't hurt that he was the coach of the McD's All America Team.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 10:50:52 AM »
I still like Lance Randall from Loyola.  He did great things in WI HS Basketball at Oshkosh West, and he has DI asst. coaching experience at SLU and Loyola.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

superfan1387

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 11:33:25 AM »
im hearing that hes moving up to cedarburg. apparently his wife teaches there and you have to live in the school district if you teach there, so he going there to make things easier on his wife. also he has a son in high school or soon to be in high school and he wants to be there for him. im almost 100% certain his plans involve coaching in high school again. i guess he wants to move up to the college ranks, but it doesnt look likely.

feedback