Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We have given up on Jamil Wilson  (Read 5798 times)

Coobeys Oil Depot

We have given up on Jamil Wilson
« on: April 17, 2008, 09:14:52 AM »
Wilson is a 6'6'' slashing guard/forward. He has mentioned he needs to shore up his perimter game which makes you assume college coaches are selling him on playing the 4 in an open set but eventually moving to a rotating 2-3 wing spot when he can hit the shot. (Or, if he plays for Pearl the ball will just be rolled out to him on the floor and positions won't matter)

Looking at the Marquette roster, you've got Jimmy Butler (2 years), Joseph Fulce (2 years), Erik Williams (4 years), Lazar Hayward (one year), and Trevor Mbakwe (2 years) plus, hopefully, Patrick Hazel (2 years) at the 2,3,4 spots.

I still don't know what Buzz' system will be but people keep bringing up Gillispie as a mentor so assuming he follows that logic and doesn't stick to the Tom Crean 6'5'' as 4-man thinking, you have to imagine he'll bring in size to off-set the wings/guards which leads one to thinking that Jamil Wilson would be surplus to requirements with what we already have in the program.

I don't think it's a matter of the Butler commit equaling losing Jamil Wilson but the Butler commit packaged with what already is here may total up to Wilson being too much of a longshot.

muball

• Starter
Re: We have given up on Jamil Wilson
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 09:18:55 AM »
I disagree Wilson is a top recruit in the country and would be able to come in contribute/start at numerous positions.  Depth is what wins championships as we witnessed this month.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 09:28:10 AM »
I think you're seriously over-reacting.  Here's a list of schools for Wilson from Rivals.  Do you think these schools don't have any players better than Butler, Fulce, Williams, Hayward and Mbakwe that will be around when he arrives on campus?  And with Florida, MSU, OSU, Tennessee, Texas and USC, there will surely be players ranked just as high coming in with him and behind him.  Indiana would be a little different because the cupboard is bare there right now.

Marquette High
Wisconsin High
Baylor Medium
Florida Medium
Iowa State Medium
Michigan State Medium
Ohio State Medium
Purdue Medium
Tennessee Medium
Texas Medium
USC

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 09:35:50 AM »
No way have we given up on that kid. We've got two JUCOs coming in. As we've seen in the past, the numbers put up on the junior college level almost never translate. I would caution everybody to temper their enthusiasm over these commitments.

Illinois just released a JUCO from his commitment after a single year, this after he actually started a handful of games. Weber mentioned the transition to major college basketball as being too much to over come. I'm not saying that's going to happen with our guys, but the difference between Junior College and Big Ten or Big East basketball is gigantic. These kids may be completely lost when they get here. And if Miss. St. wanted to get this Butler kid in, don't you think they would have found room?

I am happy we're getting our roster rounded up, but come on. We have to keep pursuing Wilson...he's a program changer!

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 09:39:36 AM »
Butler is like Matthews and can play all positions so I'd say not to worry about him taking time from Wilson.

Plus, premier players get playing time. If we are fortunate to get him, he'll find the court. Count on it. Whose to say Butler and Fulce are starters anyway? Blackledge never started but one game and was a roll player.

Also, Fulce and Butler both have three years left...unless you were showing how many years players have going into the 09/10 season.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 09:39:49 AM »
I disagree Wilson is a top recruit in the country and would be able to come in contribute/start at numerous positions.  Depth is what wins championships as we witnessed this month.

yeah and the depth of the four final four teams was all McD AA players, which Wilson will be, come on, Jamil Wilson is going to be a stud

Coobey, we have not nearly given up on the kid, I am sure he is still the top prospect for MU for the '09 season, and I really hope he plays for blue and gold
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 09:50:24 AM »
I see your point, coobey, and it had occurred to me, also, that we have prepared our team as if Jamil isn't coming.     Let's just pretend for a moment he is.   Picture the all 6'6- 6'8 athlete lineup out there running and pressing.   (And I admit this is all contingent upon them playing up to their max potential)   Mbakwe, Fulce, Wilson, Williams and Butler, running, pressing, nearly interchangeable on both offense and defense.     It would look like freaking Memphis.    I will take it.      It is my fantasy, don't try to bring me down with facts.   Plus, if Buzz shows he uses 6'7 wings well, wouldn't it ENCOURAGE Jamil to come?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 09:59:34 AM »
Just my perception, but I also don't think Wilson comes to MU. I do think he is a program maker, but goes out of state. Reminds me as a player like Caron Butler.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 10:12:20 AM »
Just my perception, but I also don't think Wilson comes to MU. I do think he is a program maker, but goes out of state. Reminds me as a player like Caron Butler.

Goes out of state?  I donno, he has MU and uw as his 2 "High Interests" on Rivals. 

I like tower912's mention of us possibly looking like Memphis...sickness.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 10:13:27 AM »

Goes out of state?  I donno, he has MU and uw as his 2 "High Interests" on Rivals. 

I like tower912's mention of us possibly looking like Memphis...sickness.

Rivals is wrong. UW@Madison is out of scholarships and MU's high interest relocated to IU.
But I like to throw handfuls...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 10:23:04 AM »
Wilson is a top ten recruit and has to be the top priority for 2009.  He may be up to 6ft 8 by end of senior HS year, but who cares.  If has any desire/interest to attend MU, you keep the significant effort up to sign him.  He is an elite recruit, the one of which MU has not signed in a long, long time.  His family wants him to stay close to home and I believe UW is out of schollies for 2009 with the recent committment of PF Ryan. Wilson's committment would hopefully open up for other high rated recruits to follow in years to come and provide a big boost to the program.  There shold be no giving up and a recent article stated Buzz called his family immediately after his hiring. His committment would really be benefical and I see MU as a finalist.    

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 10:28:45 AM »
Rivals is wrong. UW@Madison is out of scholarships and MU's high interest relocated to IU.

Well, dammit Rivals.  They did have an article about him setting an announcement date, anyone know what that is?

And I'm hopin' we have a strong season next year, and get a solid 09-10 class, and make people go "damn...Marquette got their fecal matter straight.  Tom Crean who?"

bma725

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 10:34:54 AM »

Well, dammit Rivals.  They did have an article about him setting an announcement date, anyone know what that is?

March 8th, 2009.  Anniversary of his mother's death.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 10:41:03 AM »
I have a question for those who laugh at the sentiment of what I write (which wasn't literal as of course Buzz will pursue Wilson but it's setting up as a tough sell other then the local school):

Do you truly believe that a high school kid, no matter how mature or worldly, will look at Marquette bringing in 2 players the year before him and 1 player the same year as him and say "well, yeah, they seem to be similar skill sets but that's no worry I'll still be able to play"?

We just witnessed a guard turn down a guard school because he didn't want to play behind 3 Senior guards for one season, never mind the other 3/4 of his career.

Why wouldn't the same thought process be applied to Wilson and the other players at his positions?

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 11:07:33 AM »
I am very optimistic for the coming years but we are talking about all this guys being all-stars.  We can no idea whether Hazel or Trevor will develop.  We have no idea how Fulce and Butler will handle the Big East.  The most important thing for MU is having a successful program.  Wilson will come if the program is hot.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 11:13:34 AM »
I have a question for those who laugh at the sentiment of what I write (which wasn't literal as of course Buzz will pursue Wilson but it's setting up as a tough sell other then the local school):

Do you truly believe that a high school kid, no matter how mature or worldly, will look at Marquette bringing in 2 players the year before him and 1 player the same year as him and say "well, yeah, they seem to be similar skill sets but that's no worry I'll still be able to play"?

We just witnessed a guard turn down a guard school because he didn't want to play behind 3 Senior guards for one season, never mind the other 3/4 of his career.

Why wouldn't the same thought process be applied to Wilson and the other players at his positions?

Your mistake is thinking that Erik Williams and Jamil Wilson are the same player. They're not.
Williams purely is a wing who would fill the Wes Matthews role in Marquette's current scheme.
Wilson is an inside-out guy who would fill the role Lazar Hayward does today, i.e. a guy who will post up occasionally and defend inside, but does most of his scoring either shooting from the perimeter or off the drive (either his own or being dished to off the drive by a penetrating guard).

The only player whose skill set would seem to mirror Wilson's is Joe Fulce. And if the presence of Joe Fulce would scare Wilson off from Marquette, then I would suggest he start looking at UWM, Detroit-Mercy, Evansville and other programs where he'd never have to worry about a competent teammate who happens to have a similar skill set.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 11:32:19 AM by Pakuni »

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 11:17:59 AM »
God rest her soul, but I'm hoping Jamil's mother wanted him to get a good Jesuit education, just like our fine young gentlemen coming up from Texas.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 11:20:54 AM by MUMotivAsian »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 11:18:19 AM »

I think every decent program (including all the places Wilson is looking) will have at least some players with similar skill sets in the program that are at least as good as Butler, Fulce and Williams.  Plus, I don't think all these players are limited to just one spot on the floor, there could be situations where MU had Butler, Williams, Wilson, Fulce and Mbakwe all on the floor at the same time.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 11:20:06 AM »
There is a big difference between playing behind the 3 Amigos and competing for PT with the Mbakwe, Hayward, Fulce, Butler type players.  Wilson would start alongside Hayward and likely Mbakwe.  Even if that meant playing 3 forwards. 

We now have depth at his spot, but nowhere near the talent to challenge his PT.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 11:21:04 AM »
Wilson is a 6'6'' slashing guard/forward. He has mentioned he needs to shore up his perimter game which makes you assume college coaches are selling him on playing the 4 in an open set but eventually moving to a rotating 2-3 wing spot when he can hit the shot. (Or, if he plays for Pearl the ball will just be rolled out to him on the floor and positions won't matter)

Looking at the Marquette roster, you've got Jimmy Butler (2 years), Joseph Fulce (2 years), Erik Williams (4 years), Lazar Hayward (one year), and Trevor Mbakwe (2 years) plus, hopefully, Patrick Hazel (2 years) at the 2,3,4 spots.

I still don't know what Buzz' system will be but people keep bringing up Gillispie as a mentor so assuming he follows that logic and doesn't stick to the Tanning Cream 6'5'' as 4-man thinking, you have to imagine he'll bring in size to off-set the wings/guards which leads one to thinking that Jamil Wilson would be surplus to requirements with what we already have in the program.

I don't think it's a matter of the Butler commit equaling losing Jamil Wilson but the Butler commit packaged with what already is here may total up to Wilson being too much of a longshot.

Are you serious with the title of this thread?  Marquette has not and will not give up on Jamil Wilson.  Period.  Jamil is extremely talented and if he comes to Marquette, he will get primo minutes right away.

Coobey/NOLA... since Crean left, it seems like your typically common sense posting has flown out the window somehow.  

nyg

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 11:27:28 AM »
Missing something here.  Judas left?  Who was Judas?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 11:30:45 AM »
Judas Crean.

I think Wilson's announcement date of March '09 is a huge help to us right now.  When he sees our loaded team dominate next year with Buzz at the helm, and he knows that the 3 amogos are leaving, he wants to come here more and he gains confidence in Buzz and gets to see his coaching style for a season.  He will be much more comfortable then than he is now.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 11:32:57 AM »
Oops...looks like the ex-coach's name has now been moderaterifyed into "Judas".  I like it.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 11:33:11 AM »
Missing something here.  Judas left?  Who was Judas?

You know.. Mr. "It's Indiana!"... nasty things happen when you actually post his name so we at MUScoop.com have enacted a clever coding scheme to get around that without invoking the bad karma associated with the name.  See - we're looking out for you!
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 11:34:06 AM »
OK, Coach Judas...DUHHHH.  Brainwash here with the Wilson thing and all. Had positive "waves" yesterday, no more negative "waves".