Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: To Everyone Who Wants a More Experienced Coach  (Read 4822 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
To Everyone Who Wants a More Experienced Coach
« on: April 16, 2008, 03:20:55 PM »
I've noticed a ton of panicing because we hired Buzz Williams instead of a more experienced coach.  What option below sounds better to you?

Hiring Buzz:
- E. Williams stays
- Otule stays
- Fulce stays
- Mbakwe stays
- James stays
- McNeal stays (most likely)
- N. Williams gone (gone with Crean)
- Taylor gone (most likely with Crean)
- Christopherson gone (gone with Crean)
- Butler comes (looking very likely)

Hiring A Experienced Coach:
- James gone (said choice to return very easy b/c Buzz hired)
- McNeal stays (possibly)
- E. Williams gone (said stayed b/c of Buzz)
- N. Williams gone (gone with Crean)
- Taylor gone (most likely also with Crean)
- Fulce gone (possibly b/c recruited by Buzz)
- Otule gone (possible b/c recruited by Buzz)
- Mbakwe gone (most likely)
- Christopherson gone (gone with Crean)
- misc. recruits come with the new coach

So far Buzz has done as good of job as anyone that could have been hired in keeping the program strong for the next few years.  Nick Williams and Taylor were gone with Crean and no one could have kept them.  If Taylor does decide to stay more credit to Buzz. 

I realize we don't know what kind of game coach Buzz is but what if he isn't that bad?  Everyone is acting like he has never seen a basketball game in his life.  He can always surround himself with X and O assistants like AL did.

Plus if Buzz can continue to get quality recruits (which he has proven he can do) it should make coaching a hell of a lot easier.

At first I wasn't very excited about the hiring of Buzz either but looking at who he has kept and what he has the ability to bring I do believe now he was the right guy. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 03:32:31 PM by TallTitan34 »

dsfire

• All American
Re: To Everyone Who Wants a More Experienced Coach
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 03:47:17 PM »
I think you're reading a bit too much into it.  Almost everything in the experienced coach list is speculation, and there's no way for us to know how players/recruits would feel about playing for [unnamed] coach that has proven themselves elsewhere.  Beyond that, the arguments about "what if it's not so bad?" and good assistants could be made about literally anyone, even if Marquette had hired an intern out of the Financial Aid office.

That said, I too am starting to get the optimism about next year back as our roster solidifies.  Hopefully the momentum will continue to move upward into the start of next season.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 05:06:04 PM »
once again, it's some one from the immediate-bizarre crowd calling out the couldn't-we-have-waited-and-spent-more-time-looking-at-possibilities crowd.
The success he's had has been great, everyone is hoping the best is yet to come.  People like you make it hard to do this, especially when you use a bunch of conjecture as evidence

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 05:18:42 PM »
The only real conjecture is Mbakwe, Fulce, and Otule staying. 

-At the award banquet Dom pretty much said the hiring of Buzz kept him here.
-E. Williams told Rosiak Buzz is the reason he stayed.
-N. Willams, Taylor, and Christopherson were gone the second Crean left by all accounts.  They all immediately asked out of their LOI.

I'll admit there's noway to know 100% but the above info is in writing or actually spoken.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 05:21:31 PM »
once again, it's some one from the immediate-bizarre crowd calling out the couldn't-we-have-waited-and-spent-more-time-looking-at-possibilities crowd.
The success he's had has been great, everyone is hoping the best is yet to come.  People like you make it hard to do this, especially when you use a bunch of conjecture as evidence

It's hard for you to hope the best is yet to come?
Yikes.

Anyhow, it's not really conjecture to suggest that E. Williams, Fulce, Otule and perhaps even DJ are sticking with Marquette if not entirely, then largely, because of BWilliams' hiring.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 05:22:20 PM »
You left out the part about one of, it not THE, most well-known high school coaches in the country calling out our head coach's lack of a resume as a reason his kid no longer wants to attend Marquette. Not sure that's a sign of good things.

It's great that the JUCOs and the Williams kid from Texas are still coming. But I'd temper that enthusiasm a little bit.

James can talk about leaving all he wants, but where was he going to go?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 05:25:16 PM »
You left out the part about one of, it not THE, most well-known high school coaches in the country calling out our head coach's lack of a resume as a reason his kid no longer wants to attend Marquette. Not sure that's a sign of good things.

I'm not too concerned about Hurley seeing as Buzz's bread and butter of recruiting is in Texas plus the "experienced" Hurley can't figure out a basic release from LOI form.

Good point about Dom though.  I do think he would have considered Europe if his family did need money as people seemed to think but I don't even know if that's true.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 05:33:46 PM by TallTitan34 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 05:30:10 PM »

I don't think DJ would have gone pro unless he were very unhappy with MU's choice. That said, it's not accurate to suggest he had no other options.
A player of his ability would make a lot of money playing basketball next year, regardless of where or whether he gets drafted. Good players in Europe make six-figure salaries. Peanuts compared to many in the NBA, but it'll buy plenty of baby formula.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 06:18:01 PM »

You're so full of crap.  You start out with 2 ridiculous scenarios that have mostly no real truth to them and then when called on your false statements you say "the only conjecture are these three"  That would be 30% of your argument.  Never mind that E. Williams has stated repeatedly he committed to MU and the Great Jesuit education you lie and say he is staying because of Buzz.  When will YOU realise how much better MU could and should have done with hiring opportunity.  Us fans of MU who are upset realize this is an opportunity missed but we will still be supporting MU.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 06:50:44 PM »

It's hard for you to hope the best is yet to come?
Yikes.

Anyhow, it's not really conjecture to suggest that E. Williams, Fulce, Otule and perhaps even DJ are sticking with Marquette if not entirely, then largely, because of BWilliams' hiring.

con·jec·ture (kn-jkchr)
n.
1. Inference or judgment based on inconclusive or incomplete evidence; guesswork.
2. A statement, opinion, or conclusion based on guesswork:

'perhaps', 'not entirely' 'largely' sound like words used by people working off inconclusive evidence to me.  you are making assumptions and guesses on what people you don't know's actions would have been had there been an entirely different situation. 

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 07:01:57 PM »

E. Williams has stated repeatedly he committed to MU and the Great Jesuit education you lie and say he is staying because of Buzz. 

He said he was going with either Crean or Buzz. Quite the accusation you're making there denver.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 07:18:25 PM »

It's great that the JUCOs and the Williams kid from Texas are still coming. But I'd temper that enthusiasm a little bit.

your life must really suck.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 07:31:24 PM »

That just a smart, thinking man's response. Thanks for the contribution.

If you'll excuse me, I've got to go beat my wife.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 08:19:18 PM »

Taylor has not said any such thing.  His high school coach has.

But I'll be willing to grant you the point if Taylor winds up at Southern Illinois or Wright State.  If not, the "lack of resume" is a red herring.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 08:21:40 PM »
No offense, PRN, but do you really think anybody in the country gives a crap what some aging high-school coach thinks? If we win 25 games next season, we'll get the kids to come.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 08:29:48 PM »
You're so full of crap.  You start out with 2 ridiculous scenarios that have mostly no real truth to them and then when called on your false statements you say "the only conjecture are these three"  That would be 30% of your argument.  Never mind that E. Williams has stated repeatedly he committed to MU and the Great Jesuit education you lie and say he is staying because of Buzz.  When will YOU realise how much better MU could and should have done with hiring opportunity.  Us fans of MU who are upset realize this is an opportunity missed but we will still be supporting MU.

This is from Rosiaks blog:
Interestingly, had MU not hired Williams to replace Crean, Williams might very well have wound up at Indiana with Crean. He and his coach at Cypress Springs, John Harmatuk, decided to wait MU's hiring process out before ultimately making a decision.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 09:29:04 PM »
Why not include all the quotes, could it be they do not sustain your arguement?
"The reason we weren't in a hurry is because it was going to be Indiana or Marquette," said Harmatuk. "He was never going to open it up to anybody else. He never wavered from Marquette. His parents are really big on the Jesuit education. That was the No. 1 priority for his family. Then No. 2, Erik was comfortable with Coach Buzz and comfortable with the kids that play at Marquette."

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 09:43:25 PM »
The only real conjecture is Mbakwe, Fulce, and Otule staying. 

-At the award banquet Dom pretty much said the hiring of Buzz kept him here.

I'll admit there's noway to know 100% but the above info is in writing or actually spoken.

I have heard a lot of rumblings that DJ's being gone was more due to friction with TC  than it did with other issues.  Isn't interesting that a guy who had to go and was gone due to unspeakable family circumstances (smoke was being sent out via the Scout guys) all of a sudden stays?  And Trevor was rumored to leave b/c family reasons and now he stays.

What happened to the unspeakable DJ family issues?  The horrible financial situation that none of us could ever understand so we had to just accept that his knowingly signing up for Europe was OK an normal, what ever happened to that?  DJ coming back is just common sense, but TC's people and spin machine had him gone...what changed?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 09:44:04 PM »
That shows if he didn't like Buzz he would have chosen Indiana.

"The reason we weren't in a hurry is because it was going to be Indiana or Marquette,"

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 09:50:52 PM »
i don't know about you guys but i think arguements that use what people say in public as evidence of someone's actual motivations are stupid.  You don't know if that kid is speaking from his heart or if it was a line that someone fed him.  But It doesn't matter, there may have been a choach out there that could have done the same thing.  There may have been one that would have brought in a top 5 class for 09, buzz might be a hof coach or he may be completely inept at x's and o's and never be great despite having a lot of tallent.  All rediculous musings.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 10:22:54 PM »

Are you trying to make his commentary look more intelligent? I enjoy PRN's commentary a lot so I don't really mind if that's the case. Does it even occur to people like you that your bile makes the people you attack on this board sound more and more accurate and sane?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:25:41 PM by warrior07 »