[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 10, 2024, 03:28:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Father Wild talks about Crean  (Read 3583 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Father Wild talks about Crean
« on: April 15, 2008, 03:00:04 PM »
Father Wild talks about Crean

Written by: Don Walker

It turns out Father Robert Wild, the president of Marquette University, didn't particularly like the way Tom Crean left, either.

In a telephone interview, Wild spoke candidly of the circumstances behind Crean's departure from Marquette for Indiana University.

Wild, as you may recall, was in Washington when word leaked out that Crean was leaving for Indiana. Wild said Crean called him around midnight on that first night.

"We talked," Wild said. "He had given us nine great years, and there was no great basis for being upset. At some point he had to make a career decision.

"But the how of it, how he basically didn't talk to anybody, that was a problem," Wild added. "And I said that clearly. The end game was definitely not the way to do things. And I must say, it was not characteristic of the man as I dealt with him over the years."

Crean has expressed regret how word leaked out that he was leaving.

Wild said that, had Marquette been made aware of Crean and Indiana, there would have been an effort to keep him in Milwaukee.

"We were very happy with him," Wild said. "We had had a good year and he carried us within a hair of the third round of the NCAA. We liked Tom and we were happy with his overall performance. I think in many ways it wasn't a money issue. We all felt there were a handful of programs, really, that had a long tradition and established programs and I think Indiana might make that case. They've fallen on hard times, so in some ways it was easier to go in there when the times are harder. But that's speculation on my part."

During the search for a new coach, Wild said he met with Buzz Williams, the new Marquette coach. Wild said he did not meet with any other candidate.

"I had not met Buzz previously," Wild said. "I heard good things about him. I knew he was Tom's number one assistant and Tom was very happy with his assistants, probably happier than he had been, and would have certainly taken Buzz to Indiana in a heartbeat.

"But we had a sense that here was somebody who was willing to work hard, someone who was hungry to succeed, and who had the drive and work ethic and, of course, the recruiting skills to give us the sense that he could be the one to make this program go forward."

Wild said he spent time with Williams to learn about his personal life. "I heard his story, which I found very impressive. It seemed to me that there is tremendous human potential in this man," Wild said.

While Wild credited the team of Marquette officials and influential alumni for the hard work they put in to find a new coach, he also said the Big East Conference was a big help as well.

"There's high motivation within the conference to see the basketball programs succeed, along with football," he said.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/04/15/father-wild-on-crean.aspx

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Father Wild talks about Crean
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 03:03:37 PM »
Great work by Don Walker!!

Does anybody else feel like he wasn't at all involved in the coaching decision?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 03:12:03 PM »

I do, and I have no problem with it. It seems that he let Cottingham and co. do the searching/interviewing, and he met with their choice. Exactly the role he should have. And hopefully, there will be a quality working relationship there.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 03:44:23 PM »
I wonder how much Buzz discussed the New Orleans situation with Wild and others.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 03:48:28 PM »
I also wonder if the reaction to this hiring is the reason Fr. Wild is giving interviews to the JS.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 03:51:57 PM »

I appreciate Fr. Wild expressing his disappointment with how Crean handled it. That is a large statement from a guy that will rarely speak publicly on such matters. It is obvious he was very unhappy how it played out. 

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 03:55:26 PM »
I also wonder if the reaction to this hiring is the reason Fr. Wild is giving interviews to the JS.

I would imagine that Fr. Wild and Cottingham would give interviews regardless of how the hiring was perceived.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 04:01:30 PM »
Father Wild talks about Crean

Written by: Don Walker

"But we had a sense that here was somebody who was willing to work hard, someone who was hungry to succeed, and who had the drive and work ethic

I'm willing to work hard, am hungry to succeed, and have the drive and work ethic TO BE THE NEW QB OF THE GREEN BAY PACKERS, but it's NEVER going to happen.  I don't have the skill.  Just because Buzz hasn't shown that he DOESN'T have the skill yet automatically mean that he DOES.  He can recruit...  for a proven HC.  We don't know if he can recruit for Buzz.  The only thing we know about his X & O skills is that he likes to lay on the floor diagramming plays, and cries easily.  He might (or might not) be a decent HC at a D2 school.  But do you hand the keys to the shiny new car to your kid because he's willing to work hard at driving, or do you let him drive the clunker until he proves he can handle it?

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 07:50:17 PM »
can he be that much worse of a game coach than Crean?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 08:02:58 PM »
broken record mr. muskie, how many of your 17 posts have said that same thing or something very similar. we get it, you aren't happy and don't think buzz is qualified. accept the decision that has been made and look forward.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 08:13:38 PM »

Gotta love all the morons who have judged this guy before he even stepped onto the court as HC for MU. How would you like those folks on your jury?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 08:26:24 PM »

Gotta love all the morons who have judged this guy before he even stepped onto the court as HC for MU. How would you like those folks on your jury?

As I read it 'twas a dig against Crean, not an inherently anti-Buzz comment. 

feedback