[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I Just Don't Get it  (Read 1977 times)

AlumKCof93

• All American
I Just Don't Get it
« on: April 15, 2008, 09:43:42 AM »
I've been traveling the past couple of weeks, so have only been able to read the posts on here once in a while, but when I do I almost have to stop b/c everything is so negative.  I'm not blaming the posters, I'm blaming the administration.  Since I don't have any ties to the administration and know that some people do, I need help understanding how the following were allowed to happen;

1) Following the final 4 run, the passion for MU bball was elevated to a high I hadn't seen previously.  That passion resulted in enough money coming in to the program that MU was able (from what I understand) to improve our facilities dramatically, see the AL.

2) Since the final 4 run, we have an alum who is reached the pinnacle of the bball world in Dwade who won the MVP of the finals and has shown incredible dedication and loyalty to MU leading to a very impressive ad campaign by Converse.

3) MU joined the Big East, arguably the best conference in the land.  By joining the BE, MU exposure reached new highs this year by being on TV more this past year than any I can recall, including several prime time games in the BE conference tournament.

4) MU is bringing back a very good, senior-laden team who should be considered a top 20 team heading into next year.

Despite all this, Crean leaves.  Say what you will about Crean leaving and the manner in which he left, but that did not necessarily mean the program was going to be in decline. It meant that MU needed to make a strong move to hire a coach that could sustain the momentum.  With the 4 points made above, I don't think its unreasonable to expect that MU would reach out to high-profile coaches like Bennett, Sean Miller, Scott Drew, Kevin Stallings or even a lower-profile coach on the rise like Anthony Grant.

Instead, Cottingham - whose hire as AD was immediately questioned by Chicos -reportedly makes a strong attempt at Bennett but then doesn't strongly pursue anyone else and seemingly settles on Buzz.  That hire is questioned as his resume doesn't qualify him for a high profile position such as the one at MU and now that same resume is pointed at by one of the incoming recruits who is now moving on.

How could Marquette let this happen?  How could the administration just settle for a coach when it seems as though it had a lot more options after investing quite heavily in the program?  Was it just to save money?  What is really going on here?
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Good post..
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 09:46:37 AM »
How could Marquette let this happen?  How could the administration just settle for a coach when it seems as though it had a lot more options after investing quite heavily in the program?  Was it just to save money?  What is really going on here?

Wait, wait.  I know this one.  It's "What are, 'Questions we will never have the answers to?'"

Litehouse

• All American
Re: I Just Don't Get it
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 10:07:27 AM »
With the 4 points made above, I don't think its unreasonable to expect that MU would reach out to high-profile coaches like Bennett, Sean Miller, Scott Drew, Kevin Stallings or even a lower-profile coach on the rise like Anthony Grant.

It was reported MU checked with Bennett, Miller and Grant, but they weren't interested.  Don't know about Drew and Stallings.  McKillop, Lowery, and Brownell were also reportedly considered, but they apparently preferred Buzz.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 10:39:46 AM »
If Scott Drew wasn't contacted it's a travesty.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 10:42:57 AM »
If Scott Drew wasn't contacted it's a travesty.

Then... it is a travesty...

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 11:04:20 AM »
McKillop, Lowery, and Brownell were also reportedly considered, but they apparently preferred Buzz.

Lowery may have been 'considered' but he was not contacted.  The Dayton Daily News left the same impression with Brownell last week as well.

MU's hiring process was an abomination.

feedback