Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Quick survey  (Read 3426 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Quick survey
« on: April 14, 2008, 04:46:41 PM »
Who thought there would be a seamless transition in '09 when we lose the big three?

Who thinks that Ty Taylor could have saved that season?

That season was going to be a struggle anyway, and it's not like Taylor was going to start as a frosh... who knows what kind of minutes he was going to get with Acker and Cubillan already in place.

If Buzz can land a good PG in the '09 class, we'll likely be in the same spot as we would have been with Taylor.

*Disclaimer- I really, really like TT's game... and really wish he would come here.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
Re: Quick survey
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 04:59:45 PM »
Not at all...all of a sudden you go from your guard depth as a strength to a liablity. 

Probably not, although he would have probalby started that year.

I would have put my odds of Taylor starting over at least one of them, on the sheer size/matchup question alone.  Taylor was a legit 6'2", 6"3"...Cooby is about 5'11" and Acker is 5'7".  You can't have a sub 6 foot backcourt like that in the BE.

The whole "logjam" issue and "Buzz's experience" are just cop-outs for the fact that Hurley wanted Tyshawn at a program like Kansas or Florida, and we got a bit lucky in the fall when those programs didn't offer him.  Now that they're calling, Hurley wants to steer him there, not so much in Taylor's best interests, but to stroke his own ego and resume. 

They knew the guard situation.  They knew Buzz.  To say that their bailing because of those two "issues" is utter crap, and Hurley is no better than a cattle salesman trying to sell his prize-winning steer to the highest bidder.

The General has taken on a new command.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 05:21:22 PM »
I am extremely disappointed Taylor is not coming as I think he would have been a very good player at MU.  However, we very well might be better off without him next year.  We need another big next year to go along with the big 3.  He doesn't need to be a difference maker but a Mirkovic or Vanderbeken could very well compliment the rest of the team and maybe help get us another victory in the NCAA.  Getting to the sweet 16 next year will be huge.  If we have success next year, we will continue to get very solid recruits.  Plus we will have plenty of playing time to give a pg that next year.  Hopefully we will be in on some good ones.   

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 06:04:52 PM »
Who thought there would be a seamless transition in '09 when we lose the big three?

Who thinks that Ty Taylor could have saved that season?

That season was going to be a struggle anyway, and it's not like Taylor was going to start as a frosh... who knows what kind of minutes he was going to get with Acker and Cubillan already in place.

If Buzz can land a good PG in the '09 class, we'll likely be in the same spot as we would have been with Taylor.

*Disclaimer- I really, really like TT's game... and really wish he would come here.

Regardless of coach, it wasn't going to be easy in 09-10. With that said, don't you want to go into that season with as many known quantities as you can? We have no guards in our recruiting class. Hell, next year we are one injury away from only having 3 guards.

The thing with Taylor is that he could come in, play 15 minutes a game, and learn from all of James, McNeal, and Matthews. Come the season after, making the transition with a guy who played 15 minutes the year before and played with the likes of JM, DJ, and WM would make this fan feel much easier then throwing a Freshman guard into the mix and hoping he can play 25 minutes and keep us afloat.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 06:17:15 PM »
Honestly though, a rebuilding year is a rebuilding year. Again, I want Taylor here, and we would be better off with him. HOWEVER, losing him is not a program-breaker by any means, that's the point I'm trying to make.

I won't panic, unless we don't land a quality PG in the next class.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 06:20:09 PM »
Honestly though, a rebuilding year is a rebuilding year. Again, I want Taylor here, and we would be better off with him. HOWEVER, losing him is not a program-breaker by any means, that's the point I'm trying to make.

I won't panic, unless we don't land a quality PG in the next class.

I fear that with plenty of people telling recruits how inexperienced our coach is we could be in the territory of program-breakers. Not saying Taylor fits that profile, but we may see that sometime soon.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 06:45:51 PM »
regardless of what anyone else says, Buzz was in fact a hc before - for a year - true - but he was a head coach before.  Crean wasn't and lots of other assistants promoted this year, last etc. weren't.  Our recruiting is not going to junt hinge on that fact - because he does have more hc experience than aasistants going to coach now.

So we should be able to spin this the right way - with the truth. 

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 06:51:17 PM »
nm

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 06:52:45 PM »
But I like to throw handfuls...

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 07:17:29 PM »
I fear that with plenty of people telling recruits how inexperienced our coach is we could be in the territory of program-breakers. Not saying Taylor fits that profile, but we may see that sometime soon.

That only works until this fall.  Once the season starts, you cannot use that argument anymore.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 07:48:30 PM »
Sure, Buzz's head coaching experience is not a selling point, but look at what a recruit gets to look forward to when committing to Marquette:

- Rich tradition
- Playing at a BASKETBALL ONLY school
- The Big East
- National TV appearances
- (After this year) Significant playing time
- NBA arena
- Cool unis
- Great facilities
- Crazy fan base (at least I think so)

Did I miss anything? (I guess Real Chili should count...)
SS Marquette

Marquette Mama

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 07:51:30 PM »
College degree?

Pardner

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 08:00:46 PM »
Best practice facility (built for basketball)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 08:07:26 PM »

Hyperbaric Chamber

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 10:12:02 PM »

That only works until this fall.  Once the season starts, you cannot use that argument anymore.

Yeah, that's why I wrote "sometime soon". I think we'll see it specifically with Jamil Wilson but maybe some other recruits this 2009 class. Buzz has to hit it out of the park (and keep Erik Williams) to justify the hire in the short term and keep Marquette in the top 5 of Big East.

Of course, knowing the slick recruiting world even if Buzz wins 30 games this season he'll still get knocked around by other coaches because he would have done it primarily with Crean recruits (DJ, JM, WM, LH, DB, DC, MA, TM, PH)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 10:31:39 PM »

Hyperbaric Chamber

Open time slots - finally - for the university tanning bed.

Head coach who doesn't reek of eerie combination of perspiration and Diet Pepsi.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 01:58:46 AM »

Hyperbaric Chamber

Open time slots - finally - for the university tanning bed.

Head coach who doesn't reek of eerie combination of perspiration and Diet Pepsi.

Head Coach who does drink moonshine and plays the banjo.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 03:09:25 AM by downtown85 »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 07:11:11 AM »
i think you meant hypobaric, the chamber that you are thinking of allows them to exercise in a high altitude (low pressure) rather than low altitude (high pressure) environment.