Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz's Scheduling Philosophy - any different than Crean's next year?  (Read 4244 times)

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
My guess is that it will be cupcake city in the games other than WI and at Tenn.  But has this come up and what did he say?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 11:56:38 AM by 1990Warrior »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Buzz's Scheduling Philosophy - any different than Crean next year?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 11:47:16 AM »
He doesn't have much choice, much of it is dictated by economics.  You might see ONE less home game as has been the case twice in the last 20 years because of the senior nature of the club, but that is likely to be the extent of it.

What I'd like to know is if Buzz will be able to continue to get us into tournaments like the Maui, GAS, etc.  Crean had a ton of connections and got us into many of those with those connections.

Ironically, IU is in the Maui this year, though that was planned long before Crean.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:51:48 AM »
One hope would be the the BE-SEC challenge takes off and we are in that most years.  I would also hope that Buzz sees the value in the other tournaments as well.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 11:53:10 AM »
We are in the Chicago Invitational this year. Dayton, Northern Iowa, and Auburn are in it as well.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 11:55:35 AM »
does that count as a preseason tournament?

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 12:02:14 PM »
He doesn't have much choice, much of it is dictated by economics.  You might see ONE less home game as has been the case twice in the last 20 years because of the senior nature of the club, but that is likely to be the extent of it.

What I'd like to know is if Buzz will be able to continue to get us into tournaments like the Maui, GAS, etc.  Crean had a ton of connections and got us into many of those with those connections.

Ironically, IU is in the Maui this year, though that was planned long before Crean.
Wouldn't the economics of it be affected by the fact that Crean's salary (and that of his father-in-law) are now off the books?

Pardner

Re: Buzz's Scheduling Philosophy - any different than Crean's next year?
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 12:08:53 PM »
I'd like to see the return of the B&G Classic but with some spice...maybe with an expansion of teams with some of the smaller, lower seeded teams playing at the Al...and attracting better match-ups at the BC.  Seeded, round robbins and with some twists involved (skills competition, kids camp, etc.).  Maybe an all Catholic tourney?  

Just throwing it out there....but Maui had all sorts of public events, sponsorship tie-ins.    

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 12:14:27 PM »

Wouldn't the economics of it be affected by the fact that Crean's salary (and that of his father-in-law) are now off the books?

No....most of that was paid from outside sources anyway.  Besides, Buzz's salary isn't exactly cheap if those reports are to be believed.  Heck, if they are true then about 50 coaches in the country right now with very accomplished resumes at BCS schools are saying WTF.

Remember, prior to Crean we still always played 16 home games except for 2 times in the last 20 years.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 12:17:37 PM »
I'd like to see the return of the B&G Classic but with some spice...maybe with an expansion of teams with some of the smaller, lower seeded teams playing at the Al...and attracting better match-ups at the BC.  Seeded, round robbins and with some twists involved (skills competition, kids camp, etc.).  Maybe an all Catholic tourney?  

Just throwing it out there....but Maui had all sorts of public events, sponsorship tie-ins.    

Not going to happen.  The Maui is an exempted tournament, meaning the tournament officially counts as ONE game on the number of games you can schedule (28).  The B&G Classic counts as two games, so you're asking all of these teams coming to Milwaukee to give up two road games, which is why so few of these types of tournaments exist anymore.  It's also why it's so hard to get anyone to commit.

A team can go to the GAS or MAUI and have it count for 1 game even though they play three games, plus they get to go somewhere exotic (yes, Alaska is exotic) and the games are almost always a neutral court game (unless you're playing Chaminade or Alaska Anchorage).  Or they can go to Milwaukee and play two games, one most likely on the home court of the host.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
All I want would be a home and home with a team like Dayton (obviously a bad choice for next year since we are in a tournament with them).  I think this type of opponent (or a lot of other A10 teams) in a home and home would make the pre-BE schedule a lot more interesting.

Actually, next year is close to what I would want: WI, a team or teams from a good tourney (SEC challenge @Tenn), and hopefully Dayton.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 12:27:21 PM »
I say Indiana.

"Though Crean won't let that happen."

- Lazar Hayward
SS Marquette

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 01:25:07 PM »
If the players all came out and asked to play Indiana, I wonder how Crean would respond publically?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 01:35:27 PM »
Chicos, what are the approx costs & revenues of a home game and the costs of a road game?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart