Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buckley and Bennie on their way to Mobile right now, spoke w/ Seltzer  (Read 8237 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Buckley and Bennie on their way to Mobile right now, spoke w/ Seltzer
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2008, 01:44:18 PM »
The Harrick situation is a bad example as there were issues of imminent probabation and school oversight.  In a case like that, a guy/gal should not be held to the NLI.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2008, 02:41:12 PM »
This is more than a little shady, yet many here still defend their ex boyfirend who smacked them around.

Buzz better put a fence around Erik Williams.  Slimy will be after him next.

I wouldn't use the word many. And, just because not everyone on here takes your word for gold doesn't mean we are blind to the point you are trying to make. Repeatedly.

As for Erik Williams, I think we're pretty solid with him thanks to Buzz. By all accounts, Buzz has some sort of secret elixir he drops in recruits' drinks and they'll follow him anywhere he goes.

Question for you butch: it looks like Wisconsin will still keep an eye on Wilson even though it most likely won't come to fruition since they've found their other commits for 2009. Having said that, will it get it ugly between MU and UW fans if this comes down to the wire, or, do you think with Crean out of the picture the feelings wouldn't quite reach the animosity level?

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 02:56:21 PM »
No I don't think it will be bitter.  Crean was hated, not MU for most.

He has proven us all right, unfortunately.

I don't think Wilson will end up at either school.  UW is full and the signing of Evans indicates of lack of interest on someone's part IMO.  As he climbs up the rankings some not so clean programs will get involved.

Smith ended up at 'Ville without anyone on their coaching staff seeing him play.   ?-(

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 03:20:00 PM by butchbadger »

mviale

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 03:09:15 PM »
Agree Butch - this guy will get lost at some program like Louisville and he could be a star at MU or UW.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 05:40:12 PM »
I also am of the opinion that Wilson will matriculate at a school outside of WI. Just my hunch that Jamil will go with an established coach at a school more noteworthy. The kid certainly will have that choice.
Where we disagree is that I think he'll contribute greatly and be an integral part of the future success of that program
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2008, 10:12:09 PM »
It's college basketball. You can't punish the kid and take away his opportunity to play for the coach he wants...at least before he's enrolled.

Crean's gone. Williams was his kid. The kid wanted to play for Crean more than he wanted MU. Just deal with it. It's all a business. I don't like the hire of Buzz and the guys not wanting to come to MU...but...dems da breaks.

Let's get Taylor and move on. If Crean gets Williams, good for him. It was a bad move how he left town, but I don't want the guy burned in effigy or anything. Look what he did for the program. Move on.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2008, 05:57:55 AM »
In case someone hasn't already posted it, here's the info on the current IU restrictions.

Quote from: IndyStar.com
These are the recruiting sanctions facing new IU basketball coach Tom Crean, left over from those the school self-imposed on former coach Kelvin Sampson. They are scheduled to last until July 31, the end of the recruiting year. In addition, IU docked itself one scholarship for the 2008-09 season.RECRUITING SANCTIONS STILL IN PLACE
Off-campus recruiting days: Crean has none left. Under IU's self-imposed sanctions, Sampson was limited to 14 (four in the fall and 10 in the spring), and when he resigned Feb. 22, he had used 10. As IU's interim coach, Dan Dakich used up the other four. When Crean's staff is in place, two of the three assistants will be permitted to recruit off campus.
Official visits by recruits: These are visits paid for by the school, and IU has none left. IU had reduced that number from 12 to six, and Sampson and his staff used all of them. That means the only way Crean can get players on campus will be through unofficial visits, which are paid for by the prospect. As with other schools, these can happen anytime except during recruiting "dead periods," during which coaches are allowed only to write or telephone recruits.
Phone calls: Crean's coaching staff can call high school seniors only once a week -- with Crean himself allowed to call them only once every other week -- until May 21, the end of the spring signing period. After that, regular rules would apply, allowing the coaching staff, including Crean, to call seniors twice a week. With juniors, for Crean, it's once every other month through July 31 (the norm is once a month).

Full article here.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 10:21:17 AM by lurch91 »

lurch91

• All American
Re: Just spoke with Seltzer........
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2008, 10:12:22 AM »
he was a gracious guy.........here's the net:

1. They're definitely going after Nick Williams, leaving for Mobile in 30 minutes.
2. He thinks MU will do well with Buzz, would not comment on the notion that MU panicked with the hire.
3. He thinks Buzz will get great talent into MU - was not sure about Tyshawn Taylor but insinuated that Hurley was posturing more than anything (my interpretation)
4. The gap he thinks Buzz will have to overcome is the sheer scope of the job.  Seltzer says Buzz will do well with running the program, but the challenge at private university like MU is that the coach is the most visible, sought after person on campus and therefore gets involved in just about everything....at least that is what Tom did.  That's broad responsibility/participation/visibility at MU, one u don't have at state schools (revealing comment).
5. Bennie said he'll make sure to beat Bucky.

I think Crean has to go after Williams. His roster at IU is depleted and he needs quality players. We certainly canot be happy about it, but IU has plenty of holes to fill. hopefully Buzz can keep in in the fold as williams most certainly will step into a great situation with the amigos graduating next year.

Your point four is interesting. That was part of the reason O'Neill bolted. He was not fond of the alumni ass kissing. But, it is what you make of it. Plenty of coaches at private schools balance that just fine.

Funny, but I think #4 is why Davis's term was cut short.  Like TC, Davis's Final Four run bought him time - but IU Alumni and Boosters were not fond of him, nor was he of them which finally caught up with him after the 2002 Final Four uphoria wore off.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 11:07:40 AM by lurch91 »

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
I'm not sure what I'd expect him to say, but that sounds like a lukewarm endorsement from somebody who worked with Buzz for 9 months.

In my opinion, though, he's a tad off base. Williams should avoid trying to imitate Crean. Crean was TOO involved in "just about everything." We don't need our new coach focusing on PA announcements, video taped messages and new nicknames. 

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2008, 11:34:09 AM »
I'm not sure what I'd expect him to say, but that sounds like a lukewarm endorsement from somebody who worked with Buzz for 9 months.

In my opinion, though, he's a tad off base. Williams should avoid trying to imitate Crean. Crean was TOO involved in "just about everything." We don't need our new coach focusing on PA announcements, video taped messages and new nicknames. 

I agree with this thought. Maybe one positive of Buzz will be that he can simply be the basketball coach. Not wearing all the other hats like Crean.

Sounds like Buzz is disarming in person which means he'll do fine with the funding events during the summer. It will be interesting to see if he has a basketball camp and I'm still uncertain as to the reaction when he cries during press conferences after the game but soon you hope he'll learn these needs.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2008, 01:58:02 PM »
There is a summer basketball camp.  I signed my son up for it within the last week. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2008, 09:35:09 AM »
From the 4/16 issue of the Trib, in Yanda's article about DJ staying for his senior season:

"Assistant Athletics Director Scott Kuykendall confirmed that Tim Buckley, Jason Rabedeaux and Bennie Seltzer - all assistants on Crean's staff during the 2007-'08 season - are no longer employed at Marquette. Indiana Director of Media Relations J.D. Campbell said no one has been hired to Crean's coaching staff as of yet, but he hoped that an announcement would be made by the end of the week."

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/uwire/041608aac.html

So if Buckley and Seltzer aren't on the staff at IU yet, how were they recruiting Nick Williams on Sunday?  Wonder who bought their plane tickets to Mobile, and who they were representing when they were down there?

Either IU's director of media relations is out of the loop, or...

feedback